Start by marking “When Day Breaks (Sunrise Suspense Society #1)” as Want to Read:
When Day Breaks (Sunrise Suspense Society #1)

When Day Breaks (KEY News #10)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,318 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
On the day she died, Constance Young was the undisputed star of morning television. But her plans to move herself and her loyal audience to another network were cancelled when she ended up at the bottom of her swimming pool. And the fabled unicorn amulet that Constance had been wearing during her final hours—a gift from King Arthur to his beloved Guinevere and the centerpi ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about When Day Breaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Day Breaks

David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party"
I read “When Day Breaks” because I was looking for a good mystery, and that’s exactly what I got. A good mystery. Just not a great one…

I will say that Mary Jane Clark does a great job with the overall mystery itself. This mystery lover was grinning as suspect after suspect was being introduced, each with their own reason for hating soon-to-be murder victim Constance Young. Adding a little extra spice to the mystery was the inclusion of a valuable unicorn pendant from medieval times that may or m
Judy
Mar 26, 2014 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Was horrified by the opening chapter. Wasn't sure I wanted to continue with the book. After a couple days I resumed reading and finished quickly.
Petula Darling
This book was ok, but I had to drop a star for the stupid ending
Susan
A wonderful series.
Mareah Vega
Feb 03, 2017 Mareah Vega rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of my favorites. I have been reading all of these series, and I love How's the same characters are in all, and towards the end they are slowly turning into bad guys!
Tu Hoang
Being grateful. Being grateful in the book “When day breaks” seems to be a very important subject. Especially in the beginning of the book. Have you ever thought that what you have right now, some people don’t have. In the book “When day breaks” some of the main characters, Faith and Constance and their mother, I feel like they might have a role in making “being grateful” a theme. My theme for the book, “When day breaks” is to be grateful.

A big reason why I think this theme is to “be grateful”
Betty
Nov 02, 2008 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any mystery fans
I enjoyed this book, a little different format from what I am used to in that it covers the movements and thoughts of all the potential suspects within each day. This was an interesting concept to me. Short, individual chapters keep all characters equally in the forefront of your mind rather than having to go back to check out some vital clue you may have forgotten or missed earlier in the book. This also sets the background of relationships, interactions, unexpected links, to build to a final s ...more
Leigh
Apr 21, 2013 Leigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I purchased this book thinking it was by Mary Higgins Clark, *I was tricked* who I am a huge fan of. When I got h
Mojca
A twisty suspense/thriller set in the "glitzy" world of TV-news. I actually loved the multiple POVs, the plethora of characters and their woes, the descriptions of rivalry between the anchors, the constant guessing as to who the killer might be...The bodies kept on piling and so did the suspects.

The narrative flowed nicely, the pacing was good, and the writing ingenious and engaging. And though there was a little bit of romance thrown into the mix, I cannot say I'd miss it if it weren't there. T
Jennifer Wardrip
Everyone hates Constance Young. It's no secret that her colleagues think she's a world class b***h, and rightly so. But when she ends up dead at the bottom of her swimming pool, it's up to those same colleagues to figure out exactly what happened to her.

Constance had just quit her job at KEY To America to move over to the morning news competition, Daybreak. No one was sad to see her go, but who hated her enough to kill her?

As bodies start piling up and the news business gets fierce, it will be
Georgiann Hennelly
When the undisputed star of morning television Constance Young is found dead in her swimming pool. Her colleague Eliza Blake is shocked, determined to discover who wanted Constance out of the way- and why-she enkists the aid of her three coworkers: Annabelle Murphy, Producer Cameraman B.J. D'Elia to add brains and brawn plus a much needed male perspective and Dr Margo Gonzalez , on air Psychiatrist , who understands the complex puzzles of the human mind.. They call them selves the Sunrise Suspen ...more
Carol
Feb 19, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a Mary Jane Clark in ages and ages. Constance Young decides to leave her current job to work for another network. It's possible that many of her loyal viewers would follow her to her new station and somebody is not about to let that happen. Constance is found dead in the bottom of her swimming pool and Eliza Blake, an anchor woman, is determined to uncover the truth behind Constance's murder. She may be the next victim.

The list of suspects just becomes bigger and bigger and I was
Jade
Sep 05, 2013 Jade rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
New York City, television icons and a mysterious death should be the perfect trio for an intriguing read. With regret,though, I believe that they prove to be less of an indulgence than you may expect. A high society news anchor is found dead at her country retreat, or so everyone believes. As fellow co-workers savor the death of a ruthless colleague, Eliza Blake can't seem to believe that it was just an accident. As she uncovers many possible suspects, Eliza begins to realize that she may be the ...more
Akemi Joy
Jul 04, 2009 Akemi Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans, TV news fans
Shelves: a-bit-of-fluff
So, the killer was a surprise to me and it took me an embarrasingly long time to figure out the "clue" that should have been pretty obvious. Other than that fustration, I really enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to reading Mary Jane Clark's other books.

My favorite characters are Eliza and her daughter Janie.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of all the information about the Cloisters and their collection, but this book made me really excited to go there and see it all! I love medieval lore
Betty Ann Baer
Oct 20, 2011 Betty Ann Baer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book on CD. I don't know if it was the reader or the book, but it seemed very shallow and poorly written to me. I skipped lots of stuff that didn't have anything to do with the book. I hope people don't really act the way they acted in this book. It was about a news anchor lady that ended up getting killed. Everybody suggested that they didn't like her and it wasn't that big of a loss. The book suggested that everybody wants to move up and get the job of the person ahead of th ...more
Jane
Feb 20, 2009 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Recommended to Jane by: Peggy Fletcher
Good entertaining mystery. Characters are well developed, murder suspects abound! Short chapters kept my interest. I have to say the ending was a surprise, but the murderer's motive was a bit weak. I found it interesting that the book was about a news reporter...the author was a CBS news producer for 3 decades as well as the daughter of an FBI agent. That information most likely explains why her mystery books are entertaining but believable. If you need a fast entertaining read Mary Jane Clark i ...more
Karen
Dec 09, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, fiction, mystery
Nancy
Aug 25, 2008 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nearly impossible to put down. I acutally bought this book by accident/deception(?). I was at Costco and walked passed the book section, saw what I thought said "Mary Higgins Clark" and grabbed the book (my 3 year old commants most of my attention). I love MHC, easy reads, great plots, fabulous characters. Mary JANE Clark doesn't have quite the refined writing style that I really enjoy with MHC, but it is a similar type of story, clean and intense! I just wish a few loose ends had been wrapped u ...more
Rebekkila
Her books are all the same. Someone at Key news gets murdered, then we have 275 pages of all the people who might want them dead and why. Then we have a solution which is the person you least suspect, mainly because it makes the least amount of sense. Most of the books take place at Key news which probably is one of the riskiest jobs in America based on the number of books that have been set there.
Karen Davis Engelbert
I have read several of this author's books, although this is the first in the KEY News series. I like her format of keeping the chapters short, and chronicling the plot day-by-day. I also like the way she incorporates some facts and history about the area in which the story takes place. In this case, she shares interesting details about the Cloisters in upper Manhattan and medieval art/legend. It's a quick read and maintains your interest.
Annie
Jul 05, 2007 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of thrillers
This book was a fast read. Mary Jane Clark as well as Mary Higgins Clark and Carole Higgins Clark write good thrillers although I think Mary Higgins Clark is the best of the three. The book was fast paced and interesting but not as involved in detail like other authors such as Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta novels. I really get into the forensics descriptions and like anything with medical detail. I read the Clarks for pure entertainment.
Laren
Mar 10, 2008 Laren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
joyce lynn
Dec 13, 2007 joyce lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, i'd forgotten how many twists and turns THIS author could toss into a thriller!!!

this is one of those books and authors that is a quick read, only because, even if the house was burning down around you, you just can't put it down til you've read "one more page", only the end of the "just one more page, mom" DOESN'T end til the book does!!!

this one was WELL worth the LOONNNGGGG wait!!!
Therese B
Mar 13, 2016 Therese B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always enjoyed this author although I hadn't read anything by her in a while. She write mysteries. Her characters are TV news people. The stories take you behind the sceen of how it all works and how competitive it is. This particular story was about a anchor woman from the morning news. She was leaving after being at that station for several years. Someone objected to the change and she was murdered. The story develops how she was murdered and a surprise as to who did it.
Linda
Jun 06, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love this series by Mary Jane Clark....always suspenseful with lots of possible suspects....keeps me reading way later than I should. As always, there were cultural/historical tidbits to hold my attention and make me feel like I was learning something along the ride. This time it was info about the Middle Ages, tapestries, and unicorns....interesting. Quick moving with likable characters.
Erin
Mar 21, 2008 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
When Day Breaks is a thrill ride. It gives reader an inside view into the world of television news broadcasts.
The characters are wonderful, complex, and you won't know who the killer is until the very end.
You may think you know, but the reveal will surprise you.
The plot twists, are intricately woven, creating a masterpiece of suspense.
A MUST READ

Enjoy!

Erin
Jill
Aug 17, 2008 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I love the suspense novels, especially the ones that don't lead you to the killer until the end. Mary Jane Clark is one of my favorites, she always has the same cast of likeable characters, so while it probably is a little unrealistic that these same people always have the same problems, it makes for good character development.
Matthew Jocson
WOW!! IT. WAS . AMAZING.

what a thriller. to me, everything was so vivid, it was actually IMPOSSIBLE to put down.
and the murderer? i was like WATT!?
my face
from the words of my favorite poet ,Matthew Jocson:
"t'was amazing!"
Noelia
Entretenido sin más, muy al estilo de las novelas de Mary Higgins Clark (que no Mary Jane Clark), con un ligero misterio y una pincelada de romance. Siempre he preferido con mucha diferencia el suspense que el misterio de este tipo.
Lisa Rathbun
A fine murder mystery. Several potential suspects. No graphic sensual scenes. Only one swear word. Relatively entertaining but completely forgettable, except for the info about the Cloisters. I'd never heard about that museum, but I want to go!
  • Echoes
  • The Deadly Neighbors (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #3)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • The Witch's Tongue (Charlie Moon, #9)
  • The Dark Place (Gideon Oliver, #2)
  • Decked (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #1)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • The God Machine
  • Hound
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
  • Death, Guns, and Sticky Buns (Tori Miracle, #3)
  • Rocky Coast Romance (Holiday Harbor #1)
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...

KEY News (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • Close to You (KEY News #4)
  • Nobody Knows (KEY News #5)
  • Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)
  • Hide Yourself Away (KEY News, #7)
  • Dancing in the Dark (KEY News #8)
  • Lights Out Tonight (KEY News, #9)
  • It Only Takes a Moment (KEY News, #11; Sunrise Suspense Society #2)