Start by marking “Exploring Consciousness” as Want to Read:
Exploring Consciousness

Exploring Consciousness

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Rita Carter ponders the nature, origins, and purpose of consciousness in this fascinating inquiry into the toughest problem facing modern science and philosophy. Building on the foundation of her bestselling book Mapping the Mind, she considers whether consciousness is merely an illusion, a by-product of our brain's workings, some as yet inexplicable feature or property of ...more
Published October 4th 2004 by University of California Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Exploring Consciousness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exploring Consciousness

Xandri Fiori
Having read at most 4 right-brain friendly books on physics, I considered myself a truly learned physicist, being able to wield "length contraction" and "Schrodinger's cat" in my parent's solely philosophy/psychology/religion based conversations. Not to worry, cracking open only a few AP Physics review books --the dreaded future awaiting me senior year-- my unfounded ego died a slow and painful death.
Continuing to browse these armchair physics books, I finally conceded the point to my good ol' f
Xiphias
Jul 06, 2007 Xiphias rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: brains
Shelves: non-fiction
Carter does an excellent job of describing the complexity of the scientific study of consciousness, and she manages to do so in a way that is accessible and entertaining. The vast majority of the book is dedicated to trying to pin down what, exactly, consciousness really is. Some time is given to various pet theories, including some of the more fringe ideas, but the vast bulk of the book is really objective. Nice pictures, too!
Michael Kenning
An introduction to the tackling of the hard problem from a neurological (and entirely scientific) perspective. Truly the primarily rational take on the mind and its many wonders. The book leaves the reader with more questions than answers, but certainly opens up a horizon of thought to be had.
Amber
If you learn through visuals, rather than text, this is the book for you. It's an introduction to the neuroscientific understanding (and questions about) consciousness.
Jill
Fun intro to analytical philosphy and cognitive neuroscience read...plus lots of pictures!
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
P.a.jayaprakash
P.a.jayaprakash marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Andrea Taylor
Andrea Taylor marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Rosie Mcloughlin
Rosie Mcloughlin marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Marc
Marc added it
Nov 30, 2014
Kyle Adams
Kyle Adams marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Scenerry Dumlao
Scenerry Dumlao marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Zsuzsi
Zsuzsi marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Renee shi yan Liu
Renee shi yan Liu marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Jimmy Pine
Jimmy Pine marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Angel Diaz
Angel Diaz marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Marlin Harrison
Marlin Harrison marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mapping the Mind The Human Brain Book Multiplicity: The New Science of Personality, Identity, and the Self Mapping the Memory: Understanding Your Brain to Improve Your Memory The People You Are