Start by marking “Holding Time” as Want to Read:
Holding Time

Holding Time

Simon & Schuster, 1989, Fine., Bright, clean, tight. Fireside paperback. [Family, Children, Parenting] Out-of-print and antiquarian booksellers since 1933. We pack and ship with care.
Published October 15th 1989 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Holding Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holding Time

Kathy Houglum
Dec 29, 2015 Kathy Houglum rated it did not like it
Shelves: hate-shelf
I could never recommend this book because much of the therapy within this is done forcibly to the child--the coercion is a joke.

I was one of the kids who went through these so called "treatments," as a kid (since I was adopted), and I'm currently going through PTSD therapy because of it. It does not make the child bond at all--if anything, it makes them learn how to dampen/fake emotions further so as to prevent more of these "treatments."

The entire treatment is shown as a "cure-all" for many ove
Jul 25, 2009 Sasha rated it it was ok
I heard of this book and the theory of "holding time" many, many years ago from a homeschool friend who was advising another on how to deal with difficult children. It peaked my interest and I've implemented my own version off and on over the years with my kids. I believe in the principle, have seen the practice work, and can even witness to it working ON ME. (My husband has been doing this with me for years, though he doesn't know this is what he's doing. It's always been his instinct when I ge ...more
Aug 06, 2007 Aspidistra rated it did not like it
I know this book is very popular with a lot of adoptive parents, particularly for infants and toddlers. Because my kids are older, I can't address the specifics of its use in younger children.

My first problem with the book is that it's presented as if holding time is a magical cure for everything. I am skeptical of any book that promises this.

My most significant problem, though, comes with the holding itself. This is not a book about cuddling with your kids to help them feel safe and loved. It
May 27, 2012 Carrie rated it did not like it
This book is over 200 pages and could probably be reduced to about 20. It's very repetitive. I think the author means well, but this is not for every family as the author insists it is. Holding children can be a good thing, but I disagree that it should be done against their will. You can call it what you want, but it's another form of restraint. I don't view that in a positive light.
Ceanne Kosel
Jan 21, 2009 Ceanne Kosel rated it it was amazing
Every parent that wants a well behaved child, an excellent relationship with them and peace with siblings needs to read this book. As well as any grandparent or relative and close friend. Simply a book EVERYONE should read.
Aug 03, 2012 Debi rated it did not like it
I would never recommend this! I think it further traumatized my child who was already traumatized from his adoption!
Sofia Fik
Sofia Fik is currently reading it
Aug 11, 2016
Heiyoung Chang
Heiyoung Chang rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Brenna Monaghan
Brenna Monaghan rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Laura Weldon
Laura Weldon marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Ce Eshelman
Ce Eshelman rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2016
Ce Eshelman
Ce Eshelman rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2016
Zyanya Barceló
Zyanya Barceló marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Kathryn Merrilees
Kathryn Merrilees rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Phaedra Taylor
Phaedra Taylor is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2016
Holly marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Jul 25, 2015
1UC OKC marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Mike Waldmann
Mike Waldmann marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Debb marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Kim Hawkins
Kim Hawkins rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Tomasz Witkowski
Tomasz Witkowski rated it did not like it
Feb 28, 2015
christy rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2014
Michelle Corona
Michelle Corona rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Wilma Richard
Wilma Richard rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2014
Emily rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2014
Karyn rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014