Start by marking “The Informant” as Want to Read:
The Informant

The Informant

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  566 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
James Grippando, author of the bestselling novel The Pardon, once again sends readers on a spine-tingling trip into the heart of evil.
Hardcover
Published January 1st 1997 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Informant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Informant

Judy
Oct 19, 2015 Judy rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. The story line kept moving with lots of interesting twists along the way
Suzy
Jan 28, 2016 Suzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best mystery I've read, but enjoyable. Unusual plot line - serial murderer enlists journalist to be his confident...or did he? Is the informant someone else? II liked the fact that the female FBI agent and the journalist did not hook up. Chapter 7 FBI agent Victoria answers Karen's question about why the FBI "I'm not one to talk about myself," she said wearily. She glanced across the aisle and caught Karen's eye. She seemed sincere, not nosy. "Well, if you really want to know, I think it ...more
Karen
Mar 25, 2016 Karen rated it liked it
Listened to an unabridged cassette audio book in the car. Worked well for entertainment. A string of murders is occurring across the country. FBI agent Victoria Santos is working the case & Michael Posten a reporter for the Miami Tribune end up working together to stop the killer. Michael, who is estranged from his wife, receives a tip from an unknown informant about a woman who becomes the next victim. Michael collaborates with Victoria who believes the informant & killer are two differ ...more
Tony
Aug 30, 2009 Tony rated it liked it
The first Grippando book I have read. Wasnt the greatest book I have ever read but was definitely interesting and I was eager to find out the next thing to happen. Will definitely try more by this author.
Chuck
Apr 07, 2010 Chuck rated it it was amazing
A Miami Tribune reporter, Mike Posten, is contacted by a man who predicts the next victim of a serial killer in exchange for money provided to Posten by the FBI. The manhunt is on.
TeriC
May 27, 2010 TeriC rated it really liked it
Grippando always writes a good book with lots of adventure.
Joyce
Aug 12, 2014 Joyce rated it really liked it
A serial killer being pursued by the FBI. An informer has contacted a Miami Reporter and threatened him unless he pays for the information the informer is willing to share. The reporter, with the consent of his publishers, gets involved with the FBI and uses their funds secretly to pay off the informer. These are the basics that initiate the novel. Telling more would be a spoiler and I won't do that. It is remarkably complex and riveting. Readers will find themselves spending time with this nove ...more
Boots S
Feb 29, 2016 Boots S rated it really liked it
A serial killer is randomly killing his victims in various states in the country. The FBI is baffled as to motive. Mike Poston, a reporter for the Miami Tribune receives information about one of the victims and a prediction regarding who is next on the list. He asks for money for more information. With a few twists to the plot the scene moves to Antigua and onto a cruise ship. Exciting and great writing as all Grippando's books have been.
Kelly
Jan 17, 2015 Kelly rated it liked it
Good sophomore try. First figure out, is he or isn't he, then how are they going to take him down. Bad guys are so bad. Don't seem to have redeeming characteristics. Male protagonists are kind of one sided, also. Need to see more development of the good guys. Females in this one are stronger.
Holly Morey
May 05, 2014 Holly Morey rated it liked it
I would probably give this 3 1/2 stars. This is a stand alone book about a newspaper writer Mike Posten, who receives information about a serial killer. Although the story was a tad bit predictable, to me this is a page turner with a pretty good plot.
Evelyn
Mar 03, 2016 Evelyn rated it really liked it
An FBI agent and a reporter work together to catch a serial killer after an anonymous tipster predicts the murders before they happen.

Fast-paced.

Ilona J Coffey
Jan 18, 2015 Ilona J Coffey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smirk

I enjoyed the book, but have never read so many "smirks," "smirking," and "smirked" sentences in my entire life.

Get an editor!!!!!
Jillian
Sep 10, 2014 Jillian rated it really liked it
First time I have read a James Grippando book. It was fast paced and intriguing. I would definitely read another one.
Victoria Shepherd
May 14, 2016 Victoria Shepherd rated it liked it
Unravels like an episode of Criminal Minds - I mean this as a compliment.
Lori
Mar 20, 2015 Lori rated it it was amazing
Always a great read , read when it first came out
LJ
THE INFORMANT - Okay
Grappando, James - standalone

Reporter Michael Posten begins to receive phone calls from an anonymous stranger with an uncanny ability to predict the moves of a serial killer and joins forces with FBI agent Maria Del Ray to find the murderer.

Serial Killer; the characters were uninvolving and I knew who the killer was half-way through.
Lissa
Jun 17, 2012 Lissa rated it liked it
The first half of the book was interesting enough to grab you to read further but the ending.. sigh. It was rushed. I feel the villian could do more harm to rattle everyone but sadly, he went away very fast.
Kim
Jul 18, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was my first mystery spy novel. I enjoyed it although it was rather predictable. I could not put this down as the characters were the driving factor behind the plot. Overall, I'd recommend it.
Rebekkila
Oct 05, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Joyce McKune
Aug 17, 2011 Joyce McKune rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
An informant tells a reporter about a murder before it happens. The FBI aren't sure if he's the killer or just knows who the killer is.
Lori Underhill
Definitely some creepy elements in this book, but I'm enjoying this author very much.
Kathleen
Jan 01, 2008 Kathleen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I suggest not to waste your time. Even though I just had to finish it.
Ricardo
Generic, nothing that makes it stand out. Good but nothing great
Alisa
May 16, 2009 Alisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wasted a day of my life reading this book... dont do it.
Jaime Babb
Jan 11, 2011 Jaime Babb rated it liked it
This one got better as it went along.
Steve
Aug 23, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it
A pretty good thriller though a bit predictable.
Al
Dec 28, 2009 Al rated it really liked it
Well done. Considerable action. Overly violent.
Ropajo
Dec 26, 2010 Ropajo rated it really liked it
12/23/10 - slow around holidays
12/25/10
Mailmanr5
Jul 08, 2011 Mailmanr5 rated it liked it
Seemed overly long but somewhat entertaining.
Ada-Marie
I enjoyed this book.
  • Coward's Kiss
  • Knights of the Cross (Demetrios Askiates, #2)
  • Hollywood Tough (Shane Scully, #3)
  • Explainers: The Complete Village Voice Strips, 1956-1966
  • Return to Mars (Barsoom, #4-6)
  • The Edge of Sleep
  • Shadows (Craig Burch, #2)
  • The Debt Collector (Sonora Blair, Book 4)
  • Four Corners of Night
  • Against the Wind
  • Revenge of Innocents (Carolyn Sullivan, #4)
  • The Social Climber's Handbook: A Novel
  • Widow's Might (A Liv Bergen Mystery, #3)
  • Dogs of God
  • The Night Stalker (Jack Carpenter #2)
  • Hide Your Eyes
  • The Simeon Chamber
  • In for the Kill (Frank Quinn #2)
The first thing you should know about bestselling author James Grippando is that he is no longer clueless—so says his wife, Tiffany, after “A James Grippando Novel” was a clue for #38 Across in the New York Times crossword puzzle. James is the New York Times bestselling author of 24 novels of suspense, including twelve in the popular series featuring Miami criminal defense attorney Jack Swyteck. ...more
More about James Grippando...