Start by marking “1 Million Tomorrows” as Want to Read:
1 Million Tomorrows

1 Million Tomorrows

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The Price of Eternal Life In the 22nd Century, no one had to die of old age: an immortality drug was available to all. Its only drawback was the side-effect that ended a man's sex drive, so most men waited till their youth was fading before they took the final step and became "cools." But Will Carewe became the first man to test a new variety of the drug, one without any s ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 158 pages
Published 1973 by Pan Books (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about 1 Million Tomorrows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1 Million Tomorrows

Perry Whitford
By the norms of the last years of the 22nd century Will Carewe is an unusual 'funkie' - or functional male - in that he has turned forty, has been a monogamous relationship for ten years to his wife Athene and has given no indication yet that he intends to 'tie off'.
Science has found a way to slow down the decay of the body, ensuring that humans have become, in theory, immortal. The only problem is, whilst females retain their sexual potency, males become effectively impotent as a result.

Then C
Jason Mills
Jul 23, 2010 Jason Mills rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Bob Shaw!
It's the 22nd-century and anyone who takes the injection will live indefinitely with their physical age fixed. The downside is that in men the shot causes both sterility and impotence. Our protagonist, Will Carewe, works for a manufacturer of the drug, and the firm offers him an experimental version that won't destroy his sex life. Thinking this will save his 'old-fashioned' marriage, Will agrees - and quickly finds his marriage going sour and somebody trying to kill him.

The narrative is lean an
Marc
I read this back in 1970 when it was first published. After reading a couple of scathing reviews below, I decided to reread it and see if I still like it. I'm a big fan of Bob Shaw --- especially Orbitsville and The Ragged Astronauts. So far this one is pretty good.

OK, so now I've read it. I really enjoyed it, although it's mostly a standard runaround action story that could have been told with or without the SF background. It's a shame, because the premise is fascinating: immortality is availab
Brian Bailey
This is not a future that I would care for, to say the least. You can take a shot to become immortal but have all the lead taken out of your pencil if you're a man, so to speak. Also, being immortal doesn't mean that you are invincible. You can still die from a satellite dhish falling off your dhome as you're walking out the dhoor. So, let's think about that. Okay, yeah. I think I'd elect to stay a "funkie" and funk all those still sexually active immortal women. But that's just me.
Manny
You can take this drug that makes you immortal, but then, at least if you're male, you can't have sex any more. The hero is offered a trial of a new drug which allows him both to be immortal and to have sex! He takes it, and celebrates by having a lot of sex.

It turns out in the end that they were lying to him, and he just got the placebo. In fact, he isn't immortal after all. So he takes the real drug, and says goodbye to sex.

That's about it. Perhaps the moral is some version of "there ain't n
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Paolo Caracciolo
Paolo Caracciolo marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Haljon
Haljon marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Toby
Toby marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Ruth
Ruth added it
Mar 06, 2014
Deimantas
Deimantas marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Aarawesome
Aarawesome marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bob Shaw was born in Northern Ireland. After working in structural engineering, industrial public relations, and journalism he became a full time science fiction writer in 1975.

Shaw was noted for his originality and wit. He was two-time recipient (in 1979 and 1980) of the Hugo Award for Best Fan Writer. His short story Light of Other Days was a Hugo Award nominee in 1967, as was his novel The Rag
More about Bob Shaw...
Orbitsville The Ragged Astronauts (Land and Overland Series, #1) Other Days, Other Eyes Who Goes Here? (Warren Peace, #1) The Wooden Spaceships (Land and Overland Series, #2)