Start by marking “Last Day Blues” as Want to Read:
Last Day Blues

Last Day Blues

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  23 reviews
It's the last week of school, and Mrs. Hartwell's class is excited to leave for summer vacation. The only problem is that the kids don't want their teacher to miss them while they're gone. Once again Julie Danneberg and Judy Love bring to life the crazy antics of Mrs. Hartwell and her class and show that teachers and students are more alike than different.
Published February 1st 2006 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Last Day Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Day Blues

Tatiana
While aide substituting last year, I read this to the second graders and I totally forgot about it until I saw it on the shelf at the library today. It follows a class as they near the end of the school year. The students dream of days without schoolwork and are certain the teachers will be miserable without them. The ending sports a nice twist...and very realistic.
Zonia
Students think up a great way to help their teacher know how much they will miss her. Great final picture - especially for teachers!
Maryanne
last couple of pages are priceless.
Claire Kirchgessner
Last Day Blues is a hilarious contemporary realistic fiction book written by Julie Danneberg and beautifully illustrated by Judy Love. During the last week of school, the students begin to feel sad on Monday. They are going to miss their teacher, friends, class pets, snack, recess, and they are certain that their teacher is going to be miserable without them this summer.The children want to do something nice for their teacher, but for a few days they can not all agree upon what to get her. As th ...more
N_katieg52
Are you ready for June? This adorable story, Last Day Blues, is a follow-up book to First Day Jitters written by Julie Danneberg. Throughout the story, the teacher and children are preparing for the last day of school, doing everything for the last time. Everyone felt very sad thinking about the school year ending. The students brainstormed a present they could get their teacher, Mrs. Hartwell, to cheer her up. They were excited for break, but so sad thinking of how miserable their teacher would ...more
Written Melodies
A cute tale of students seeking the best gift to give their teacher on the last day of school. Loved the contrast between the students' image of the teachers at the final good-bye and the teachers' actual behavior. Hilarious!
Courtney
Cute illustrations and story. A class of kids are worried about their teacher after she says she'll miss them after school ends, so they team up to make her a gift.

I like the funny ending. :)
Cariadne
Great illustrations and fun message. With a smiley wink, this would make a great gift for your young child's teacher and class.
Zelie
Well, I love the story. However, some of the illustrations not match with the words, imho.
Andréa
Note: I received a digital galley of this book through NetGalley.
Brittnee
This is a really cute book to read on the last day of school. it is about the last day of school a classroom thinking their teacher was going to be really sad that they were leaving and would not see her all summer. they got worried and wanted to make her something. They made the teacher a poster saying they would miss her. when the students were leaving all of the teachers looked so sad but as the students left, the teachers started rejoicing and cheering. this is a really cute book to show tha ...more
Kelsey Willnerd
Cute story with wonderful pictures!
Brandi
This book follows a group of students on their last day of school. The children worry about their poor teacher during the last few weeks of school because they believe she will have nothing to do during the summer. Great book to read aloud on the last few days of school. Children will love the sweet poem and funny jokes. Teachers can also use this book to teach about inferring.
Heather Johnston
Ok, this one was super cute- talking about how the kids think their teacher is going to be so sad all summer when school gets out. They make her a cute present. But then it has a little surprise at the end! Definitely a fun one to read near the end of the year. Good one for predictions too.

Realistic Fiction

CO: 2006
Lorie
This is a really cute story from the students point of view about the teachers last week of school. It has a great story line and is in pairs with the book The First Day Jitters. I really would love to own this book someday.
Stephanie Watson
This is a great last day of school book. It talks about how the students are worried about missing their teacher over summer break, and their teacher missing her students over summer break. It's a great story!
Beth
The class is worried about how to cheer Mrs. Hartwell up since the year is almost over. The students present her with a lovely poem. When the students leave, the teachers are ready to start a dance train.
Markesha Mccombs
Another awesome book. I love how we seen Sarah on her first day and in this book got the opportunity to see her on the last.
Felicia
My students and I, both enjoyed this book. The pictures are wonderful as well as the ending (so my students say).
Jill
This is the sequal to First Day Jitters. I read this book on the last day of school to my kiddos.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
I love the pictures of the really sad teachers as the school year ends. Great book to end the year.
Lori
I read this to a group of second graders on the last day of school. They loved it.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Dana Rector
Dana Rector marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Paige Yan
Paige Yan marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
  • Willow (Picture Books)
  • Aunt Chip and the Great Triple Creek Dam Affair
  • The Raft
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • The Great Gracie Chase - Stop That Dog!
  • My Dad
  • The Bully From the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #13)
First Day Jitters Monet Paints a Day First Year Letters The Big Test Family Reminders