Start by marking “Last Day Blues” as Want to Read:
Last Day Blues

Last Day Blues

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
It's the last week of school, and Mrs. Hartwell's class is excited to leave for summer vacation. The only problem is that the kids don't want their teacher to miss them while they're gone. Once again Julie Danneberg and Judy Love bring to life the crazy antics of Mrs. Hartwell and her class and show that teachers and students are more alike than different.
Published February 1st 2006 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Last Day Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Day Blues

Tatiana
Jul 17, 2012 Tatiana rated it really liked it
While aide substituting last year, I read this to the second graders and I totally forgot about it until I saw it on the shelf at the library today. It follows a class as they near the end of the school year. The students dream of days without schoolwork and are certain the teachers will be miserable without them. The ending sports a nice twist...and very realistic.
DelAnne Frazee
ISBN: 9781580891042
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley
My Rating: 5 Stars

Mrs. Hartwell's class is excited that summer will soon be here but worry their beloved teacher will be sad with them going away for so long and want to give her a present that shows how much they lo
Breanna Samuels
Sep 21, 2015 Breanna Samuels rated it it was amazing
I loved the meaning behind this book, it shows kids how big a teacher's heart can grow for each and every one of them and how at the end of the year it could be sad to see them go. This particular story is about a teacher named Mrs. Hartwell and her students. It starts out with all of them being sad and talking about everything they were going to miss about school. Some students were going to miss each other, some were going to miss the snake named Daisy, and some were going to miss the school l ...more
Zonia
Feb 20, 2009 Zonia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-school
Students think up a great way to help their teacher know how much they will miss her. Great final picture - especially for teachers!
Maryanne
Sep 19, 2009 Maryanne rated it liked it
last couple of pages are priceless.
Claire Kirchgessner
Last Day Blues is a hilarious contemporary realistic fiction book written by Julie Danneberg and beautifully illustrated by Judy Love. During the last week of school, the students begin to feel sad on Monday. They are going to miss their teacher, friends, class pets, snack, recess, and they are certain that their teacher is going to be miserable without them this summer.The children want to do something nice for their teacher, but for a few days they can not all agree upon what to get her. As th ...more
Kimberly
This is a really cute book that gets kids thinking about their teachers as normal people. I feel like my teachers didn't read this book to me (obviously, because of the year of publication), but made the activity the children in the book did as part of the lesson for the end of the school year. It is a good idea to get students thinking; what did you learn; what will you miss; what are you looking forward to doing? These are great writing prompts for the end of the school year.
N_katieg52
Oct 27, 2010 N_katieg52 rated it it was amazing
Are you ready for June? This adorable story, Last Day Blues, is a follow-up book to First Day Jitters written by Julie Danneberg. Throughout the story, the teacher and children are preparing for the last day of school, doing everything for the last time. Everyone felt very sad thinking about the school year ending. The students brainstormed a present they could get their teacher, Mrs. Hartwell, to cheer her up. They were excited for break, but so sad thinking of how miserable their teacher would ...more
Chloe Newell
Apr 07, 2016 Chloe Newell rated it really liked it
This book is great for the last day of school, when kids are sad to be leaving the teacher and their class mates. It's a short fun book with a cute story to it. The illustrations were very unique and I haven't seen any book with ones like it before. Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It's perfect for kindergarten or first grade when kids are afraid of missing their teacher and class when school gets out.
Written Melodies
A cute tale of students seeking the best gift to give their teacher on the last day of school. Loved the contrast between the students' image of the teachers at the final good-bye and the teachers' actual behavior. Hilarious!
Courtney
Feb 18, 2014 Courtney rated it really liked it
Cute illustrations and story. A class of kids are worried about their teacher after she says she'll miss them after school ends, so they team up to make her a gift.

I like the funny ending. :)
Cariadne
Apr 01, 2015 Cariadne rated it liked it
Great illustrations and fun message. With a smiley wink, this would make a great gift for your young child's teacher and class.
Zelie
Well, I love the story. However, some of the illustrations not match with the words, imho.
Andréa
Apr 07, 2015 Andréa rated it really liked it
Note: I received a digital galley of this book through NetGalley.
Heather
Jul 13, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Great end of the year read. Prompted recall a lot of great memories!
Brittnee
Apr 14, 2011 Brittnee rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
This is a really cute book to read on the last day of school. it is about the last day of school a classroom thinking their teacher was going to be really sad that they were leaving and would not see her all summer. they got worried and wanted to make her something. They made the teacher a poster saying they would miss her. when the students were leaving all of the teachers looked so sad but as the students left, the teachers started rejoicing and cheering. this is a really cute book to show tha ...more
Amy
May 25, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
Great book to read on the last day of school to your kids.
Kelsey Willnerd
Oct 19, 2014 Kelsey Willnerd rated it it was amazing
Cute story with wonderful pictures!
Jen
Jun 15, 2016 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Kind of a cute book about kids who worry their teacher will miss them once the school year is over. Little do they realize that the teachers are just as happy as they are to be free for the summer!
Anna
It's OK. I'm not thrilled with the level of importance that junk food plays in the story.
The Brothers
Feb 06, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
A elementary school class speculates about how sad their teacher will be once school is let out for the summer.

Fun illustrations.
Brandi
Dec 02, 2013 Brandi rated it really liked it
This book follows a group of students on their last day of school. The children worry about their poor teacher during the last few weeks of school because they believe she will have nothing to do during the summer. Great book to read aloud on the last few days of school. Children will love the sweet poem and funny jokes. Teachers can also use this book to teach about inferring.
Heather Johnston
Oct 25, 2010 Heather Johnston rated it it was amazing
Ok, this one was super cute- talking about how the kids think their teacher is going to be so sad all summer when school gets out. They make her a cute present. But then it has a little surprise at the end! Definitely a fun one to read near the end of the year. Good one for predictions too.

Realistic Fiction

CO: 2006
Lorie
Mar 21, 2011 Lorie rated it it was amazing
This is a really cute story from the students point of view about the teachers last week of school. It has a great story line and is in pairs with the book The First Day Jitters. I really would love to own this book someday.
Stephanie Watson
This is a great last day of school book. It talks about how the students are worried about missing their teacher over summer break, and their teacher missing her students over summer break. It's a great story!
Beth
May 22, 2010 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The class is worried about how to cheer Mrs. Hartwell up since the year is almost over. The students present her with a lovely poem. When the students leave, the teachers are ready to start a dance train.
Markesha Mccombs
Sep 19, 2013 Markesha Mccombs rated it really liked it
Another awesome book. I love how we seen Sarah on her first day and in this book got the opportunity to see her on the last.
Felicia
Jun 24, 2012 Felicia rated it really liked it
My students and I, both enjoyed this book. The pictures are wonderful as well as the ending (so my students say).
Jill
Nov 25, 2008 Jill rated it it was amazing
This is the sequal to First Day Jitters. I read this book on the last day of school to my kiddos.
Niki (Daydream Reader)
I love the pictures of the really sad teachers as the school year ends. Great book to end the year.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Penny Pot
  • An Awesome Book!
  • Aunt Chip and the Great Triple Creek Dam Affair
  • Fall Mixed Up
  • The Bully from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #13)
  • Tumford the Terrible