Just Like Heaven

Just Like Heaven (Mutts)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Patrick McDonnell's hypnotic picture book featuring the stars of his Mutts comic strip is a captivating ode to everyday beauty and wonder.When Mooch the cat awakes to find himself lost in a deep fog, he concludes he's in heaven. 'Wow,' he remarks as he explores. 'What a great place.' But when Mooch comes face-to-face in heaven with a big and scary dog, what, he wonders, is...more
Published October 4th 2006 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Just Like Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Like Heaven

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pat the Bunny by Dorothy KunhardtWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Best Books for a Baby Shower!
108th out of 318 books — 247 voters
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultThe Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
Picture Books about Cats
166th out of 322 books — 151 voters

More lists with this book...

Tim
Mar 06, 2014 Tim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Based on the comic strip called "mutts," This book is about a cat who wakes up in foggy weather thinking that he's in heaven. How would you act differently if you thought this was the case?
Becky
More warm fuzzies, and a reference to Hug Time. I've heard this story told as a fable before: character falls asleep, wakes up, assumes he is in heaven. With these new eyes, everything seems more wonderful, even though it is the same world he was in. The really telling part is that he acts more kindly in this "new" heaven, because he appreciates it. In this case, the character is Mooch, surrounded by a fog that creeps on little cat feet...
Mark
THIS BOOK WAS SO CUTE.
Dolly
Jan 02, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, pets
This is a sweet tale that depicts Mooch enveloped by a thick fog. He imagines that he is in heaven and the story has a simple joy and a serendipitous ending. The illustrations feature the classic characters from the Mutts cartoon by Patrick McDonnell.

Overall, the message is simple, but nice. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Snorkle
While this book had a sweet message and cute illustrations, it was a letdown. I was browsing the bookstore and I saw a stack sitting on the shelf and picked it up out of curiosity. The story just didn't have enough poignancy for me to like it and I thought it was a little dumbed-down. Other people might like it, but I just didn't care for it.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Tracee
This is such a cute book!!! I've always loved the comics, but these books are so happy and cute, it could almost bring a tear to your eye. They're a perfect gift to someone who loves book, or loves dogs, or cats, or even loves anything. You can't NOT love them.

Heaven...? He thought.

I must be in heaven!
Adih Respati
While asleep, the forest in which Mooch and Earl are asleep begins to fog. When Mooch wakes up thinking he was in heaven and then takes a walk and finds many things in heaven. Tired, Mooch sleeps again. When woken up, he finds himself back on earth again, takes a stroll again, and finds the same things he found in heaven :-)
Michelle
A sweet tale about friendship and being thankful for what surrounds us. I used this picture book at a dedication ceremony in memory of a friend/teacher. It worked really well and in my opinion kept things light and happy but still fit the purpose of the event.
Meg
I love Mutts, it is quite possibly my favorite newspaper comic strip and definitely in my top ten comics list. This is a simple, beautiful book and if you don't like it for any other reason the page where Moochie's arms are out for hug time is fantastic.
Dee
Good book, but I like Hug Time better. This one just doesn't flow like the other one but the story is very sweet. I loved "The big dog growled (as uloved dogs often do)line. It is not as colorful but the illustrations are still very cute.
Beth Chandler
Heartwarming but not overy sentimental (in my opinion and I'm pretty sentimental) story about Mooch (of Patrick McDonnell's comic strip "Mutts") waking up in a fog and believing he's in Heaven, which affects the way he sees the world.
Nick TheLibraryGuy
"Home is where the heart is" is eloquently demonstrated with a minimum of words, and maximum feeling.
Kristi
I love this book.... Ok, it made me cry - some days it doesn't take much. This is one that we got from the library are read, reread, and reread a bunch of times... :) Sweet
Elia
Another adorable Mooch and Earl tale. Mooch falls asleep and wakes up in a place he believes is heaven. Funny though, how heaven is so much like home.
Dina
Mooch falls asleep under a tree and wakes to a fog-covered landscape that he thinks must be heaven. A wonderful message about home being "just like heaven."
Kim
Beautiful illustrations by Patrick McDonnell featuring characters from his "Mutts" comic strip. Waking from a nap, Mooch believes he's in Heaven.
Cindy
Mooch and Earl awaken in a fog and think perhaps they are in heaven . . . then the fog lifts and they learn they already live there.
Claire Goverts
This is a sweet quick read. I love the part with Guard Dog, and the prose in the book. Love Mooch's little cat feet line.
Sara
Mar 28, 2007 Sara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: yes
gives you warm fuzzies. perfect book for someone special. especially if you like the comic strip "mutts"
Barbara
Reminiscent of my childhood cartoons on tv. The illustrations are spare and eclectic, magic!
Ryan Miller
A lovely little dream sequence that helps readers ask, "What could make my place just like heaven?"
Kelly
May 19, 2011 Kelly added it
Shelves: animals
This book is a joke about how cat life is just like heaven. It is original, too.
Amy
Clever, uplifting and like the back cover says, Zen-like. A favorite anytime book.
Alida
from the mouths of babes and little critters...
Jorgina
SWEET realization that life is good.
Tiffany
Dec 02, 2010 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: childrens-books
A wonderful feel good book for anyone.
Mary
Nov 20, 2007 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
One of my favorite books.
Bogdan Nacu
  • Calvin Can't Fly: The Story of a Bookworm Birdie
  • Let's Dance, Little Pookie
  • Not Your Typical Dragon
  • Strega Nona's Harvest
  • Here Comes the Big, Mean Dust Bunny!
In 1994 McDonnell created the comic strip MUTTS which now appears in over 700 newspapers and 20 countries.

In 2005, McDonnell embarked on a children's book career. His first children’s book, which featured the MUTTS characters, The Gift of Nothing, quickly became a New York Times bestseller. Art (2006), his second release, told the story of a boy named Art who makes art. His next release, Just Like...more
More about Patrick McDonnell...
Me...Jane The Monsters' Monster The Gift of Nothing Mutts Hug Time