Start by marking “Just Like Heaven” as Want to Read:
Just Like Heaven

Just Like Heaven (Mutts)

4.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  298 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Patrick McDonnell's hypnotic picture book featuring the stars of his Mutts comic strip is a captivating ode to everyday beauty and wonder.When Mooch the cat awakes to find himself lost in a deep fog, he concludes he's in heaven. 'Wow,' he remarks as he explores. 'What a great place.' But when Mooch comes face-to-face in heaven with a big and scary dog, what, he wonders, is ...more
Published October 4th 2006 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Just Like Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Like Heaven

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pat the Bunny by Dorothy KunhardtWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Best Books for a Baby Shower!
129th out of 385 books — 336 voters
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney
Books for one-year-old children
127th out of 272 books — 201 voters

More lists with this book...

Becky B
Mooch wakes up in a heavy fog and thinks he must be in heaven. He enjoys the dew, the sweet scents, the sounds of children laughing, and in his mistaken mindset even offers a hug to a dog.

Theological potential mix-ups about what heaven is aside (easily talked about with little ones because Mooch is obviously wrong), this is a cute book. I loved that Mooch was unfazed by the barking dog and gave him a hug because he thought it was heaven, and it seemed that was what the dog needed. If we take fea
Kay Carman
Feb 23, 2016 Kay Carman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats
CIP: "Having awakened from a nap to find himself surrounded by fog, Mooch the cat decides he must be in heaven, especially when he sees that all of his loved ones are there."

I'm not a follower of the Mutts comic strip, but McDonnell was featured on the PBS show, Religion and Ethics News Weekly, a couple of weeks ago and I was really impressed with his perspective and the degree of spirituality he brings to his artistry. This is a very sweet story that reminds one to enjoy every day's simple deli
Tim
Mar 06, 2014 Tim rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Based on the comic strip called "mutts," This book is about a cat who wakes up in foggy weather thinking that he's in heaven. How would you act differently if you thought this was the case?
Ben Kline
Nov 18, 2015 Ben Kline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick fun cute book. Beautiful drawings. Pretty similar to the comic strips but with a better quality to the drawings.
Marie
Jan 09, 2015 Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
HIS BOOKS ARE SO CUTE I MIGHT DIE, IF YOU EVER FIND YOURSELF IN FRONT OF ONE OF HIS PICTUREBOOKS READ THEM AND BE HAPPY
Anna Kim
Mar 14, 2016 Anna Kim rated it it was amazing
Charming story with equally adorable illustrations, it's hard not to love this book.
Khyzer *wenk wenk*
Somehow, this managed to tug at my heart strings. Haha
Ryan
May 12, 2016 Ryan added it
Very sweet kid's book. A satisfying read.
Rebecca
Mar 13, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
More warm fuzzies, and a reference to Hug Time. I've heard this story told as a fable before: character falls asleep, wakes up, assumes he is in heaven. With these new eyes, everything seems more wonderful, even though it is the same world he was in. The really telling part is that he acts more kindly in this "new" heaven, because he appreciates it. In this case, the character is Mooch, surrounded by a fog that creeps on little cat feet...
Mark
Feb 17, 2014 Mark rated it liked it
THIS BOOK WAS SO CUTE.
Dolly
Jan 02, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2012
This is a sweet tale that depicts Mooch enveloped by a thick fog. He imagines that he is in heaven and the story has a simple joy and a serendipitous ending. The illustrations feature the classic characters from the Mutts cartoon by Patrick McDonnell.

Overall, the message is simple, but nice. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Dec 29, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
While this book had a sweet message and cute illustrations, it was a letdown. I was browsing the bookstore and I saw a stack sitting on the shelf and picked it up out of curiosity. The story just didn't have enough poignancy for me to like it and I thought it was a little dumbed-down. Other people might like it, but I just didn't care for it.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Tracee
Oct 19, 2009 Tracee rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute book!!! I've always loved the comics, but these books are so happy and cute, it could almost bring a tear to your eye. They're a perfect gift to someone who loves book, or loves dogs, or cats, or even loves anything. You can't NOT love them.

Heaven...? He thought.

I must be in heaven!
Adih Respati
Jul 31, 2007 Adih Respati rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 01-picturebook
While asleep, the forest in which Mooch and Earl are asleep begins to fog. When Mooch wakes up thinking he was in heaven and then takes a walk and finds many things in heaven. Tired, Mooch sleeps again. When woken up, he finds himself back on earth again, takes a stroll again, and finds the same things he found in heaven :-)
Michelle
Jun 17, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A sweet tale about friendship and being thankful for what surrounds us. I used this picture book at a dedication ceremony in memory of a friend/teacher. It worked really well and in my opinion kept things light and happy but still fit the purpose of the event.
Meg
Feb 25, 2011 Meg rated it it was amazing
I love Mutts, it is quite possibly my favorite newspaper comic strip and definitely in my top ten comics list. This is a simple, beautiful book and if you don't like it for any other reason the page where Moochie's arms are out for hug time is fantastic.
Dee
Dec 14, 2008 Dee rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Good book, but I like Hug Time better. This one just doesn't flow like the other one but the story is very sweet. I loved "The big dog growled (as uloved dogs often do)line. It is not as colorful but the illustrations are still very cute.
Beth
May 21, 2009 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: c-animals
Heartwarming but not overy sentimental (in my opinion and I'm pretty sentimental) story about Mooch (of Patrick McDonnell's comic strip "Mutts") waking up in a fog and believing he's in Heaven, which affects the way he sees the world.
Nick TheLibraryGuy
Jan 10, 2009 Nick TheLibraryGuy rated it it was amazing
"Home is where the heart is" is eloquently demonstrated with a minimum of words, and maximum feeling.
Kristi
May 30, 2008 Kristi rated it it was amazing
I love this book.... Ok, it made me cry - some days it doesn't take much. This is one that we got from the library are read, reread, and reread a bunch of times... :) Sweet
Elia
Mar 07, 2013 Elia rated it really liked it
Another adorable Mooch and Earl tale. Mooch falls asleep and wakes up in a place he believes is heaven. Funny though, how heaven is so much like home.
Dina
Oct 28, 2009 Dina rated it it was amazing
Mooch falls asleep under a tree and wakes to a fog-covered landscape that he thinks must be heaven. A wonderful message about home being "just like heaven."
Kim
Nov 14, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrations by Patrick McDonnell featuring characters from his "Mutts" comic strip. Waking from a nap, Mooch believes he's in Heaven.
Cindy
Mooch and Earl awaken in a fog and think perhaps they are in heaven . . . then the fog lifts and they learn they already live there.
Claire Goverts
Sep 26, 2012 Claire Goverts rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet quick read. I love the part with Guard Dog, and the prose in the book. Love Mooch's little cat feet line.
Sara
Mar 28, 2007 Sara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
gives you warm fuzzies. perfect book for someone special. especially if you like the comic strip "mutts"
Barbara
Jan 11, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Reminiscent of my childhood cartoons on tv. The illustrations are spare and eclectic, magic!
Ryan Miller
Apr 13, 2013 Ryan Miller rated it it was amazing
A lovely little dream sequence that helps readers ask, "What could make my place just like heaven?"
Kelly
May 19, 2011 Kelly added it
Shelves: animals
This book is a joke about how cat life is just like heaven. It is original, too.
Amy
Feb 25, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Clever, uplifting and like the back cover says, Zen-like. A favorite anytime book.
  • Guardians of Being
  • Zen Ties
  • Before You Were Mine
  • The OK Book
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • Tree Ring Circus
  • The Dog Who Belonged to No One
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • Agate: What Good Is a Moose?
  • Corduroy's Christmas Surprise
  • Bailey Goes Camping
  • Santiago Stays
  • Olivia Goes to Venice
  • Boo Hoo Bird
In 1994 McDonnell created the comic strip MUTTS which now appears in over 700 newspapers and 20 countries.

In 2005, McDonnell embarked on a children's book career. His first children’s book, which featured the MUTTS characters, The Gift of Nothing, quickly became a New York Times bestseller. Art (2006), his second release, told the story of a boy named Art who makes art. His next release, Just Like
More about Patrick McDonnell...

Mutts (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • MUTTS
  • Cats and Dogs: Mutts II
  • More Shtuff - Mutts III (Mutts)
  • Yesh! - Mutts IV
  • Our Mutts: Five (Mutts, #5)
  • A Little Look-See:  Mutts 6 (Mutts, #6)
  • What Now: MUTTS VII