Start by marking “Playbook for Progressives: 16 Qualities of the Successful Organizer” as Want to Read:
Playbook for Progressives: 16 Qualities of the Successful Organizer

Playbook for Progressives: 16 Qualities of the Successful Organizer

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  8 reviews
An organizing manifesto for the twenty-first century, Playbook for Progressives is a must-have for the activist’s tool kit. This comprehensive guide articulates pragmatically what is required in the often mystifying and rarely explained on-the-ground practice of organizing. Here, Eric Mann distills lessons he learned from over forty years as an organizer, as well as from o ...more
Published August 9th 2011 by Beacon Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Playbook for Progressives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playbook for Progressives

Bob Simpson
Eric Mann has been an organizer since the 1960's. I read about him back in my Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) days. He's been a community organizer and labor organizer and was one of the founders of the LA Bus Riders Union. He draws upon his deep and wide experience and the many human contacts he has made over the years to give us a point by point guide to successfully Fight the Power.

Mann knows we are in a marathon, not a sprint and that it may take generations to achieve our deeper and
Carlos
Many of us pass through (not just once) a point in our political lives where we see the difference between organizer, activist, and other terms for our engagement, as forks in the road. For those in this process, Eric Mann offers his perspective and arguments for becoming "transformative organizers." He draws on his experience to give a framework for thinking about the organizer's roles and qualities. Most valuably, he provides vignettes and profiles of organizers he's learned from and who demon ...more
Steve
Frank, practical training guide for going from issue activism and engagement to becoming a committed grass roots, social change organizer. Based on Eric Mann's years of commitment to and experience with radical organizing in Los Angeles. Reading it alone, you gain some perspectives. To really use it, I suspect you would need to go through a training program with him.
Michael
This is an excellent and comprehensive field guide on the principles and practices of transformative organizing. There are decades of local, regional, national, and international movement building experience distilled in its pages. A must read for anyone wanting to make systemic change.
Mackel
This book was great. A lot of real examples that you can relate to. It moved fast and has lots of great lessons for people considering organizing. I felt like the word 'revolution' was used a bit broadly for my taste. Read it.
Amy Ariel
Very helpful for current organizers or would be organizers. Very helpful for people working in organizations and managing volunteers.
For me, right now, not so helpful.
Litbitch
Nothing fancy, just a good breakdown of the qualities and roles of good organizers, with some nice examples.
James Tracy
Got energized by Occupy? Want to stay in for the long-haul? Read this book. Nuff said.
Nicole Sochacki
Nicole Sochacki marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Becca
Becca is currently reading it
May 24, 2015
Brendan
Brendan marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Todd Zimmer
Todd Zimmer marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
TJC
TJC marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Axel
Axel marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Anthonine Pierre
Anthonine Pierre marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Shannon
Shannon is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Tynan
Tynan marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Anemol
Anemol marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Daniel Haines
Daniel Haines marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Laura is currently reading it
Apr 12, 2015
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Eric Mann is director of the Los Angeles–based Labor/Community Strategy Center and cofounder of the Bus Riders Union. He is the author of six books and has worked extensively with many organizations, including the Congress of Racial Equality, Students for a Democratic Society, and the United Auto Workers. He lives in Los Angeles.
More about Eric Mann...
Katrina's Legacy: White Racism and Black Reconstruction in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast The 7 Components of Transformative Organizing Theory Dispatches From Durban: Firsthand Commentaries on the World Conference Against Racism and Post-September 11 Movement Strategies Comrade George: An Investigation Into the Life, Political Thought, and Assassination of George Jackson Kronjuwel (German Edition)

“There is a collision course between the greed and rationalizations of the West and the force of nature; science and the planet are the casualties.” 2 likes
“The most successful people in all fields have a great work ethic.” 1 likes