Start by marking “It's Just a Freakin' Date: New Thoughts on an Old Idea” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
It's Just a Freakin' D...

Greg Behrendt

It's Just a Freakin' Date: New Thoughts on an Old Idea

WARNING: The date you're going on probably won't work out. Most of them don't. Side effects include: wasted Saturday nights, boring conversations, sloppy kisses, heartbreak. However, if used correctly dating can be fun - and lead you to The One. See instructions inside this book.

After years of searching for Mr. Right, most of us are still trying to crack the dating code. Y
Audio CD
Published December 26th 2007 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about It's Just a Freakin' Date, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Just a Freakin' Date

Dorianna
Full disclosure: I don't like dating self help books. On the whole I think they're based on bullshit as their main job security seems to be gender stereotypes, and the insecurities of others.

So then why bother reading one if I'm not going to like it and just complain about it? Why should I step out of my comfort zone and read something I know I probably won't like? And why give my obviously biased opinion on the internet? Honestly?

description

That and I was curious. Maybe I'm wrong about these "Date like
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Why does someone who has been married for 7 years want to read a dating advice book? ::crickets:: I honestly was pretty curious about Greg Behrendt after hearing soooo much hype about "He's Just Not That Into You". I went into this with an open mind, just wanting to see what these authors had to say about the sucky sucky world of dating.

What did I like about this book? They gave pretty good dating advice in a really funny way. I think the best thing that I took from it was that you should not g
Vincent Truman
What would happen if I, a single white male in his 40s with an ex-wife, no kids and a fondness for writing sketch comedy, wrote a book entitled 'The Third Trimester And What To Expect'? That's about what you get when you have a couple who has been married since before 911 come together and write a book about dating in the 21st century.

Equal parts outdated and unhelpful, the tome attempts to guide women through the beautifully messy world of dating, encouraging them to wholly disregard their own
Susie
Aug 03, 2010 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to order the dern thing since it's only sold in the UK. Once again as in "He's Just Not That Into You," very straightforward, humorous, and realistic advice that is basically the common sense that [some:] women have trouble telling ourselves. Super fun to read.
Jill
Jan 12, 2011 Jill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best-selling author of “He’s just not that into you”, Greg Behrendt gives you all the answers to those tricky dating questions. Firstly the author helps you to identify what makes a date, a date. And no, ‘hanging out’ is not a date, and nor is ‘hooking up’ for that matter. Meeting a stranger in a bar and going home together? Definitely – not a date! So, once you’ve discovered the difference between a date and a booty call – what now? Well, don’t panic, as Behrendt says – “it’s just a #@* date, a ...more
Sharon
Sep 17, 2013 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My friend and I have a little self help book club and so we read this one for funzies. I really liked "He's Just Not that Into You," and actually after reading this book I re-read the parts of HJNTIY that I remember having an impact when I first read it ~5 years ago.

Juxtaposing these two Greg Behrendt books side by side, I came to the conclusion that... Greg is just kind of over the hill re: the dating scene. Whereas "He's Just..." spoke to values and self-respect (more timeless dating notions)
Micah
Mar 03, 2010 Micah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book was an eye-opener. Basically, it told me some things other people have told me...but Greg's delivery is so much stronger and, I don't know, more effective, I guess. I found this book really helpful, and I'm glad I bought it so I can go back through it during various stages of my dating life. I highly recommend it.
Mel
Jul 24, 2013 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ABsolutely loved this book! Straight to the point, no sugar coating it tools not tricks or head games. Everything this book tells you rings true, we have all lost the art of actual dating - along with the art of actual communication (my opinion). The book is funny, entertaining, informative and just plain outstanding! Get your highlighters out ladies :)
Danielle Allen
I enjoyed this book, but not as much as Greg’s other two books (“He’s Just not that into You” and “It’s Called a Breakup Because Its Broken”). This one was lacking in some of the cleverness and compassion of the other two books (compassion more due to the subject matter differences – less needed and central then “broken”), but it was still a very funny book full of clear, straightforward advice.
Jane Baker
I really LOVE how it started and I felt really inspired to get out there and be awesome and fill my life up!! Towards the end, where it talks about dating more I got a little bored. But It's good what they say about women setting the standard. That guys will just being seeing how much they can get for as little effort or commitment as possible.
Carolina Walker
Jul 23, 2013 Carolina Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teaching single people the DATING is in fact important when trying to find THE ONE. A date is just that..a date. If it goes well it could lead to a brilliant future. If it doesn't go so well...at least you'll have a funny story to tell. ;)

I related to every single chapter...and after almost a year of marriage, I am proud to say that I did it "right" with the last one. ;)
Norma
Mar 25, 2017 Norma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was only reading this book for the daft letters as I am not a big fan of self help books.
Ashley Storey
Feb 14, 2017 Ashley Storey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't what I was expecting but nevertheless, extremely entertaining. However, one thing stands out to me: Who could possibly wait til the 8th or 9th date to have sex????? That's called being a nun.
*This was the author's recommendation.
Patricia
Sep 17, 2013 Patricia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Diversion Books provided me with a copy of this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads program, which is probably a good thing, because I would have hated myself had I actually purchased this overly-long, sophomoric "self-helper"! It's Just a F***ing Date is Greg Behrendt's latest pop-psych book about dating - a subject he seems to have squeezed dry. His co-author is his wife, Amiira Ruotola. It's a good thing for the dating world that Greg and Amiira got together - 2 fewer egomaniacs for the ...more
Rachel
Aug 28, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because I loved "He's Just Not That Into You," it was hilarious. With this book I found myself wishing it ended sooner. I don't know what it was that I really didn't like. They did have a lot of good suggestions about how to approach dates, especially using less intensity. Reminding (mostly women)to calm down and that most dates don't always develop into relationships. Give guys a chance because you never know if you will like them until you get to know them.
One of the pro
phoenix
Jul 21, 2013 phoenix rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galley, arc
American get up and date motivator. Men are expected to ask women out on dates (and to know they should); at commercial venues like restaurants, men are expected to pay - aimed at heterosexual women readers with the goal of a serious, long-term relationship. The writing is chatty, suitable if you like a good read.

Accounts of dating from both sexes help you understand the thinking of daters. There are interactive sections after each chapter where you get to think about the advice in your own lif
Tara
Jul 14, 2008 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, Amazing, Amazing. I am obsessed with Greg, even got to meet him last year. This is the kind of book that you do not want to read quickly. I really relished every single thing he said and I really wanted to take my time reading it so I could absorb all his awesome advice. I have no idea why this book was only released in Australia but it is a tragedy for all of America who can't read it. No one gives better, funnier and more true advice than Greg. No matter what kind of relationship or n ...more
Alison
Jan 28, 2017 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and interesting throughout but obviously needs to be taken with a billion grains of salt. A quick read and I walked away with some really key takeaways.

"Too lazy to date, too busy tweeting to actually meet people, too self-obsessed to squeeze another person into our “selfie,” yet requiring little more than a thumbs up “like” or emoji flirtation to assume a connection with another human being."
Sally Siawidjaja
Mar 09, 2009 Sally Siawidjaja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all the 'jablayers' everywhere
Recommended to Sally by: no one
Shelves: non-fiksi
I like reading Greg Behrendt since I read He's just not that into you. However, I think this book is too talkative. Too much theory and advise. I prefer more question and answer type of book rather than the normal how to book. Having said that, I still enjoy this book, very funny.
Claudia
Mar 25, 2009 Claudia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, informative, a great help for those challenged in the dating field, an amusing read for whoever doesn't have any problems getting a date whatsoever.
Lydia
Jan 12, 2011 Lydia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
funny and insightful, nothing different than so many people have told me in the past but they really lay it out for you...
Nichole Renner
Really witty and funny.
Anino
As always, Greg Behrendt's words of advice are "laugh out loud hilarious" and chock full of hard-won wisdom.

Giving this one: 4 stars
Katische Haberfield
Funny. Made some good points .
Lisa Niver
Jul 24, 2013 Lisa Niver rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dating
This book inspired my article: Carpe Datem! Seize the Date!

I almost never met George, my travel partner and now husband. When he first emailed me, I liked his photo and his profile. But I had been on dozens of first dates with not one second date and needed a rest from online dating and unfulfilled high expectations. I sat in my chair, stared at the computer and did not write back. I wanted to but at that moment, the opportunity sailed away.

If I could have read Behrendt and Ruotola's book, It's
Tripleguess
"In fact, you will suit up, show up, and be sparkly and exotic because that’s what you should do all the time in every aspect of life."

This sentence summarizes my feelings about the book. It a) sounds admirable and b) is unrealistic.

I'm glad to see someone advocating standards that set dating apart from unpaid prostitution, even if they are as weak as "Wait ten dates before doing IT." And it's absolutely important to be the best you you can be, etc. But I get the feeling that the target audienc
Ash
Jun 11, 2015 Ash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Greg Behrendt since I read his book, "He's Just Not That Into You." The movie adaptation, in my opinion, sucked! However, what made the book so good is that Behrendt gives such clear, concise and easy advice that I was left with the "Oh, duh!" feeling from reading it.

"It's Just a F***king Date" is the same way. Clear advice with a humorous slant. This is a how to date the right way with respect for yourself and then respect for your future partner.

I agreed with a lot of it. The dater has
Micky Stew
When I picked up this book I just knew immediately I was going to love it. Having read all of Greg's books, I was overjoyed to see him and his wife were publishing again. As I read the first few pages I found myself cracking up because after all, Greg is a comic and his wife is just as funny as he is. They make a fabulous writing team.

Even though this book is not necessarily saying anything we don't already know, most of us single folks are acting as if we really don't know what he's talking abo
Rob
May 18, 2014 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advice
I'm a straight man, and I bought this book because of its good Amazon reviews. If I'd looked a little closer I would have seen that the Amazon reviewers are almost all women. This book is written for a female audience, and I gave it three stars as a man; plenty of women surely gave it five stars, so things balance out.

To you women, this book is right about us men. But don't get too smug about it, because you women have your own rotten underhanded moves too. Besides, the system is permanently gam
Janet
Sep 23, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A fun and funny guide to dating from the New York Times bestselling authors of IT'S CALLED A BREAKUP BECAUSE IT'S BROKEN and HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU." That advertising blurb is just the tip of the iceberg evidently. The authors left some questions out there after the first two books, and this book is a compilation of those questions and answers. But, oh this book is so much more! I couldn't stop laughing and marveling at the simplicity of the theories presented.
TIL (today I learned) that it
Ask Greg and Amii...: * Ask Greg and Amiira! 50 172 Oct 10, 2013 02:39PM
  • The Choice Effect: Love and Commitment in an Age of Too Many Options
  • Total Flirt: Tips, Tricks, and Techniques Every Girl Needs to Get the Guy
  • The Manual: A True Bad Boy Explains How Men Think, Date, and Mate- And What Women Can Do to Come Out on Top
  • Don't Call That Man!: A Survival Guide to Letting Go
  • The Dysfunctional Relationship Manual: A Checklist and Workbook
  • Committed To You (Coventon Campus #2)
  • Forgive Me Father for I Have Loved
  • I Quit
  • Always Hit On The Wingman...and 9 Other Secret Rules for Getting the Love Life You Want
  • Becoming a Woman of Freedom
  • A Taste of Heaven: Worship in the Light of Eternity
  • Become Your Own Matchmaker: 8 Easy Steps for Attracting Your Perfect Mate
  • Maybe He's Just an Asshole: Sharpen Your Bullshit Detector, Rock Your Expectations, and Become Your Strongest Self!
  • No Weapon Formed (Boaz Brown, #2)
  • The Question
  • Weight Loss for People Who Feel Too Much: A 4-Step, 8-Week Plan to Finally Lose the Weight, Manage Emotional Eating, and Find Your Fabulous Self
  • Yoga for Grief Relief: Simple Practices for Transforming Your Grieving Mind and Body
  • Undateable: 311 Things Guys Do That Guarantee They Won't Be Dating or Having Sex
Gregory Behrendt is an American stand-up comedian and author. His work as a script consultant to the HBO sitcom Sex and the City, starring Sarah Jessica Parker, paved the way for co-authoring of the New York Times bestseller He's Just Not That into You (2004), later adapted into a film by the same name. Apart from that he also hosted two short-lived talk shows, The Greg Behrendt Show (2006) and Gr ...more
More about Greg Behrendt...

“You can’t fix people or make them change; the only thing you can do is pack your shit and leave if it isn’t working for you.” 25 likes
“People don’t respond to what you tell them; they respond to what you show them.” 11 likes