Start by marking “Boys Will Be Boys: The Glory Days and Party Nights of the Dallas Cowboys Dynasty” as Want to Read:

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  5,684 Ratings  ·  193 Reviews
They were America's Team—the high-priced, high-glamour, high-flying Dallas Cowboys of the 1990s, who won three Super Bowls and made as many headlines off the field as on it. Led by Emmitt Smith, the charismatic Deion "Prime Time" Sanders, and Hall of Famers Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin, the Cowboys rank among the greatest of all NFL dynasties.

In similar fashion to his New
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Boys Will Be Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boys Will Be Boys

Drew
Jan 25, 2009 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, first of all, as a Washington Redskins fan, I fucking hate the Dallas Cowboys. It's something I was raised to do, and they've given me plenty of excuses to maintain that policy in the 25 or so years that I've spent following professional football (I started when I was 5, and I'm 33 now; the missing years in there are the late 90s, when Norv Turner coached the Redskins and hope vanished from the lives of Redskins fans for years. I just couldn't stand to watch for a few years there). The Redsk ...more
Tony
Dec 16, 2008 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned that Michael Irvin is a crazy mofo, Troy Aikman is as dumb as I thought, Jerry Jones is an egoistical idiot and Charles Haley masturbates during team meetings. So there, also I hate that as a society hold up professional athletes on a pedestal. There are many stand up guys, but many are also thugs, hoodlums, and sociopaths that believe they are above not just the law, but normal human decency. Pay teachers, fireman, policeman, not these pampered primadonnas.
Rob
Jan 14, 2009 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book, and I enjoyed reading it. It gave a lot of insight to what went on during a specific time with the Dallas cowboys. What I learned from this book: they were mostly (a few exceptions) drunks, druggies, cheaters (on their partners), womanizers, had big egos, and some were just plain Aholes. I guess it wasn't a total surprise, but I didn't know how bad it really was. Makes me wonder how different things are today...
Chuck
5-stars

I thought this was a real treat--a total must-read for Dallas Cowboy fans of the 90s.
Peter
Sep 30, 2008 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a couple of great stories in the earlier chapters. it gets boring later on. the story on kevin mitchell and how the mets trashed airplanes make it a must read.
Slayerscott
The content is very entertaining and eye opening. My Dad's a big Cowboys fan so I followed this team in my early teens. I remember thinking of the on-field edition of Charles Haley being a "stabilizing veteran influence". Wow. Youth memories destroyed. Still, I try not to judge and I like the Cowboys. It seems the best way to really enjoy this book is if you're a Giants, Redskins, 49ers or Eagles fan and need fuel for some anti Cowboy tirades. I like these kind of trashy wild behind the scenes b ...more
Justin
Jul 25, 2011 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At being a well-written work of non-fiction with a cohesive narrative, Jeff Pearlman's "Boys Will Be Boys" fails miserably.

As an unctuous, salacious trove of juicy, gossipy tidbits, it excels. Whether by conscious design or by accident, "Boys Will Be Boys" should appeal to the Dallas Cowboys' fans and haters alike. Though this is a good thing, it is the product of bad writing.

No half-way informed fan of the NFL will come away from "Boys Will Be Boys" with any significantly altered opinion of the
C Baker
Oct 25, 2014 C Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: football, sports
I sat down one Saturday to read Boys Will Be Boys, about the 1990 Dallas Cowboys, and couldn’t put it down. This book chronicles the hard partying team that won three Super Bowls in four years and is definitively the team of the 1990’s.

Given the drinking, drugs, women, and super hard partying this team engaged in during their run in the 1990’s it is simply amazing that they were able to win championships. I’m not sure if it is a testament to just what phenomenal athletes these men were, or their
Alex
Nov 27, 2012 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charles Haley has a gigantic penis. And he likes to slap people with it. This is one of the many entertaining anecdotes you will learn if you read this book. It is a well-told, often gripping look at the wild and strange personalities that somehow combined for three super bowls on the 90's Dallas Cowboys. Pearlman paints an interesting picture of how success and fame can tear down a franchise, especially one with egos as large as this particular team. It is also incredible to learn what rich and ...more
Stuart Nachbar
Sep 24, 2008 Stuart Nachbar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a New York Giants fan who has always hated the Dallas Cowboys with a passion ever since I started watching football. Back in the 70's, it always seemed that America's Team would rain holy crap on our men in blue. Of course they did that to other teams too.

The original America's Team had an American hero, Roger Staubach, at quarterback and numerous straight-laced players and coaches. Rebels, like Duane Thomas, Clint Longley and Thoman "Hollywood" Henderson played within the Dallas system, bu
Brian
Apr 14, 2009 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Whatever. It did a lot of things...none well at all. It wasn't salacious enough, didn't delve deeply enough into the tactical aspect of the Cowboys' reign, didn't attempt to mine the personalities of the players, coaches and owner to make some sort of conclusion about their success, or success on the football field in general, or just plain ol' success.

And what a hack this guy is. Jesus Christ. Sportswriting by someone who can actually WRITE (Updike, Ford and King to name three off the top of my
Jeffrey
Jan 03, 2009 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book if you like football, and a must read if you want to know about one of the greatest franchises in football history. Gives you an inside look at how, not only the Cowboys lived and worked, but how a league team works.
Mark
Jan 09, 2009 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put it any better than Drew Magary of Kissing Suzy Kolber, where I originally learned of this book. So here's the link to his review:

Jessica
Jan 06, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fast read and very interesting although you have to either like football or hate the Dallas Cowboys. If you fall into both categories then it's probably the perfect book. I'd recommend it to all those sports-obsessed "reluctant readers" out there, i.e. many men I know.
Craig
Dec 01, 2008 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pearlman dishes the dirt on one of the greatest NFL dynasties in history: the 1990s Cowboys. My heroes have always been Cowboys, so the stories in this book disappointed me. But it made for an interesting read.
Josh Liller
Dec 14, 2008 Josh Liller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: football
The rise and fall of the 1990s Dallas Cowboys football dynasty. You'll be amazed how screwed up a team can be yet still win. Snarky and referential sports history at its best!
Ian Allan
Mar 15, 2017 Ian Allan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Expertly researched and presented, giving us an understanding of what these guys were all about, and how they interacted.

I didn't realize just how lazy Deion Sanders was -- a great player who didn't want to practice.

Hard to believe how much partying/drugging/womanizing went on with guys like Michael Irvin, Nate Newton, Barry Switzer, Jerry Jones and seemingly 70 percent of the team. And explains how Irvin was the No. 1 ringleader, dragging down a bunch of other guys on the team.

Book does an exc
Joseph Whitt
I found the background stories of the infamous 1990's Dallas Cowboys to be fascinating. I wasn't so much surprised that women, drugs, and a fast-and-loose lifestyle were common, but the absolute debauchery that was their culture, especially following the 1994 Super Bowl, was at a level I had not ever previously conceived. My wildest teenage dreams never came close to a typical Cowboys party. In the last few years, I have watched two seasons of Dwayne Johnson's Ballers series on HBO but I honestl ...more
Nancy
Feb 08, 2017 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
This is a bit overheated at times, but then, the subject matter is a bit overheated. Anyway, I enjoyed it. Even if it did make me like Troy Aikman.
Dachokie
Feb 21, 2015 Dachokie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
Exposing the Saddle Sores on the Cowboys Dynasty …

I am NOT a Cowboys fan and I while I’d love to praise this book for lifting the veil of achievement and revealing the underlying filth, it’s not the reason I enjoyed reading BOYS WILL BE BOYS. No, I found Jeff Pearlman’s book an enjoyable read because it was entertaining, revealing and remarkably balanced even though it takes the veneer off the “America’s Team” dynasty of the 1990s.

Personally, my enjoyment of following professional football ende
Robert
Sep 06, 2012 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boys Will Be Boys is a fun, entertaining read about a team I absolutely hated, the dynastic Dallas Cowboys of the early 1990s. I hate the Cowboys in general, but this team and its cast of characters will probably always be seared into my memory.

I hated the Cowboys in those days both because they were NFC East rivals of the NY Giants, my favorite team, but also because they won all the time and always made sure to tell you how good they were along the way.

As someone who followed football and paid
Jeremy
Jan 04, 2010 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cowboy fans, football fans, sports fans, and people who want to see jocks more clearly
M. Milner
If you've read one Jeff Pearlman book, maybe you've read them all. That might sound like a weird statement for a sports journalist, but I couldn't help but think I've heard this story before: a team is built up by a talented front office, with a core made of players cast offs or homegrown superstars, and as they start succeeding, they grow arrogant and party harder than Andrew WK and eventually they pull off an upset and a memorable championship before imploding in their own success. That's the ...more
Daniel
May 27, 2009 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading this book the other day and here are my thoughts:

First off let me say that I was a HUGE Dallas Cowboys fan in the 1990's. That was a very special time, and a special team. Pearlman took the Michael Irvin's of the world to task for his excesses, but he also praised him for his work ethic. See, that's what the Terrell Owens of the World don't understand. They want all the credit without winning the big one. As big and as obnoxious as some of the personalities could be, it also f
Brent Soderstrum
Mar 27, 2009 Brent Soderstrum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoy the books Jeff Pearlman writes. This is one about my beloved Dallas Cowboys. He starts the book when Jerry Jones buys the Cowboys and fires Tom Landry hiring Jimmy Johnson to coach the team. This was in 1989 and the Cowboys went 1-15. The book covers their glory years when they won three Super Bowls in four years from 1992-1995. He tells the behind the scenes stories about the drugs, the women, the parties and the football. No one comes out unscathed in this book. All the way from ...more
Aaron
May 31, 2011 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Jeff Pearlman's summary of the scandals and triumphs of the 1990s Dallas Cowboys dynasty is easily one of the best things I've read thus far in 2011. It was just as enjoyable to read about the game of football actually being played (granted, I'm a huge football fan) as it was to read about all the insanity that took place behind closed doors. Hookers. Weed. More hookers. Cocaine. More cocaine. Drunk driving. Dramatically tense business relationships. Even more cocaine hookers. Most fascinating w ...more
Paul Schulzetenberg
Very solid football book. I really hate the Cowboys as a franchise, and some of that hatred stems from their success and sliminess of the 90s. I was in my early teens then, but I knew I didn't like their approach. I didn't like their stars, who were generally classless, I didn't like their attitude, which was brash and unsportsmanlike, and I didn't like their management, which was attention-hungry.

Since those heady days of my youth, I hadn't spent much time thinking about the over-the-top 'Boys
Josh Ruiz
May 31, 2014 Josh Ruiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Pearlman provides some excellent information regarding the rise and fall of the Dallas Cowboys franchise of the 1990's. As a Cowboys fan my whole life I found myself reliving the on field glory days of when we actually had the hope of a promising season. Of course, everything comes with a price and for these Cowboys the price came in clashing egos, ruined marriages and ruined lives. For the life of me I still struggle with how the two men could work together to build a potential dynasty and ...more
Amy
Oct 24, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marc D. Prescott
Huge Cowboys fan. Born and raised in the DFW area so I am bit biased here but this was an amazing read. I found out a lot of stuff I did not know and some of it I forgot. He captures the culture of the city of Dallas around that time very well. I can attest to allot of it having lived through that era. He does a masterful job of weaving all these complex personalities into one story.

There are a lot of things that he has either left out or wasn't privy to at the time. Why leave out the Cowboys /
  • Badasses: The Legend of Snake, Foo, Dr. Death, and John Madden's Oakland Raiders
  • Next Man Up: A Year Behind the Lines in Today's NFL
  • The Games That Changed the Game: The Evolution of the NFL in Seven Sundays
  • A Few Seconds of Panic: A 5-Foot-8, 170-Pound, 43-Year-Old Sportswriter Plays in the NFL
  • Cane Mutiny: How the Miami Hurricanes Overturned the Football Establishment
  • Seven Seconds or Less: My Season on the Bench with the Runnin' and Gunnin' Phoenix Suns
  • More than a Game: The Glorious Present and Uncertain Future of the NFL
  • The Ones Who Hit the Hardest: The Steelers, the Cowboys, the '70s, and the Fight for America's Soul
  • America's Game: The Epic Story of How Pro Football Captured a Nation
  • The GM: The Inside Story of a Dream Job and the Nightmares that Go with It
  • The Best Game Ever: Giants vs. Colts, 1958, and the Birth of the Modern NFL
  • Namath: a Biography
  • The Machine: A Hot Team, a Legendary Season, and a Heart-stopping World Series: The Story of the 1975 Cincinnati Reds
  • The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football and Created an NFL Dynasty
  • Can I Keep My Jersey?: Eleven Teams, Six Years, Five Countries, and My So-called Career as a Professional Basketball Player
  • The Miracle of St. Anthony: A Season with Coach Bob Hurley and Basketball's Most Improbable Dynasty
  • North Dallas Forty
  • Playing for Keeps: Michael Jordan and the World He Made
Jeff Pearlman is an American sports writer. He has written two books about baseball and was the author of the infamous John Rocker interview in Sports Illustrated. In October 2011 he released his fifth book, a biography of Walter Payton titled, "Sweetness: The Enigmatic Life of Walter Payton." It spent four weeks on The New York Times Best Seller list.

Pearlman was born and raised in Mahopac, New Y
More about Jeff Pearlman...

“Landry returned to school following the war and played fullback and defensive back for the Longhorn squads that won the 1948 Sugar Bowl and, his senior year, the 1949 Orange Bowl.” 0 likes
“Everyone loves a success story,” says Newton. “And once you succeed, everyone loves tearing you down.” 0 likes