Start by marking “The Rumblin'” as Want to Read:
The Rumblin'

The Rumblin'

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Phil Knite is so ready for a vacation, but he and his family get more of mother nature than they can handle. The rumblin', as described by the camp ranger, is something to be feared. When a wicked wind blows in from the north, Phil Knite and his family are forced to shack up with the rest of the campers in a cabin, and discover that the ranger is more than crazy and the ru ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2011 by Jeff Bennington (first published September 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Rumblin', please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rumblin'

Jemima Valentino
Phil Knite is so ready for a vacation, but he and his family get more of mother nature than they can handle. The rumblin, as described by the camp ranger, is something to be feared. When a wicked wind blows in from the north, Phil and his family are forced to shack up with the rest of the campers and discover that the ranger is more than crazy and the rumblin' is deadly!

All Phil Knite wants to do is to protect his family from the terrible storm. When he, his wife Dana and their twins are holed u
Jen Wylie
Phil Knite is so ready for a vacation, but he and his family get more of mother nature than they can handle. The rumblin, as described by the camp ranger, is something to be feared. When a wicked wind blows in from the north, Phil and his family are forced to shack up with the rest of the campers and discover that the ranger is more than crazy and the rumblin’ is deadly!

This short story sucked me right in. Face paced and compelling it is an excellent short read. I love the concept of the Rumblin
Jennifer Wardrip
I haven't been camping since my son was in Cub Scouts. I made myself enjoy it then, but it's not on my to-do list for anytime soon.

I always thought bugs and the lack of an air mattress were my biggest problems. I was wrong. What you really have to watch out for is The Rumblin.

It's more than a storm; it's more than thunder. It's something that can't really be explained, but it rolls through about once a year, and each time, someone is going to go ballistic. And when one person in a group goes a l
Michael Wilson
Reading the reviews of this book, I wondered if it was all it was hyped up to be. Reading it - I discovered it really was. The violence is beautifully executed, the plot is perfect in its speed and intensity and the characters are wonderfully written. Jeff Bennington has written a stunning story here. Ten out of ten.
Frederick Brooke
I enjoyed this short story. Very clean and well written. Kind of scary, too!
Dylan
Phil Knite is camping with his wife and two children when the park ranger warns them that the Rumblin' is coming: a freakish storm that is more violent than most. Dismissing the ranger's warnings, Phil and his family bed in for the night when they are woken by the ranger once more, urging them to get to the safety of the park cabin. But when they get there, they find a strange gathering of campers; and the Rumblin' is not like any normal storm. It drives you insane. It makes you kill.

A good prem
Christine
I didn't read the reviews before I purchased The Rumblin, but I did after finishing the story and I concur with others who compared it to a Stephen King book. It reminded me, more specifically, to King's novella "The Mist", though much shorter.
The characters were believable and the dialogue was snappy. The setting was remote, the plot creepy. I felt satisfied at the end and didn't feel let down or left with lots of questions.
I'll definitely check out more of Jeff Bennington's books.
Mallory Heart Reviews
Jan 13, 2012 Mallory Heart Reviews rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of horror, supernatural, paranormal, short stories
Review of The Rumblin: A Short Story by Jeff Bennington

Mr. Bennington amply demonstrates the deft hand at characterization which appears to such good use in his later novels, Twisted Vengeance and Reunion. In a short space of time (and a small locale), we are introduced to several different types of characters, who may be types, but are never stereotypes. Fully fleshed out, we come to know each one so we as readers can make our own judgments on these individuals. The plot is very fast—paced, so
CR Hiatt
I am an avid camper, and have run into my fair share of storm-related incidents. I have also met a whole slew of "characters" when venturing out into the world and sitting around the campfire. Mix in the strange weather patterns with the various personalities, you never know what can happen, or who is going to snap.

When 'the rumblin'' started to make its presence known, I felt like I was there, and it was becoming too close for comfort. Jeff Bennington seemed to understand that weather patterns
Gina
Phil and his family are taking a much needed break camping in the Appalacian mountains. Suddenly the park ranger shows up at their site and says to come to the main building because a thunderstorm is coming. Phil doesn't understand the need to leave due to a thunderstorm, and the ranger warns them that the rumblin is coming and to come to the main building. As the storm gets stronger, Phil takes his family to the building where there are other campers. Phil quickly realizes that the rumblin is n ...more
Ghostleegirl
Wow! The best thing about twitter was that it brought me here to GoodReads It also introduced me to many talented writers, such as Jeff Bennington.

I have to say that this short story was absolutely fantastic! I loved it! The characters were fleshed out enough to be interesting, and the story moved at a great, fast pace. It was the perfect read for the trip home from work, and was incredibly satisfying.

The biggest problem? I almost wanted it to be longer!

It was a super read, and it will make me
Jeff Bennington
Sep 05, 2011 Jeff Bennington rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
C'mon! I loved it!

Jeff Bennington

REUNION by Jeff Bennington Killing the Giants by Jeff Bennington The Rumblin' by Jeff Bennington
ReadingDiva
The Rumbling is insanely entertaining, fast paced, engrossing, detailed and disturbing. It reminds me why I am not a fan of camping. Jeff Bennington knows how to write short stories. I totally loved it & I highly recommend it, great read for Halloween. For more short stories like this check my "Short & Sweet - List of Great Reads".
Elva
read this story to read out loud by firelight camping or at home when the electricity is out!

several displaced campers are forced to ride out a terrible thunderstorm in a cabin that a creepy appalachian park ranger recommends with strange laugh. turns out no one is safe in that cabin.
Naomi
I love Jeff's full length novels and can't wait for the next one..this one just didn't do it for me though. I thought it kind of jumped around a bit and then skipped over stuff which I find frequently happens in short stories.
Todd Russell
Nice atmosphere. Some good description, imagery and characterization in this short tale. Didn't care much for the wrap-up.
Laura Thomas
A very thrilling, fast action scare. I woudn't want to be around when the Rumblin started!
David
Could have been a nice The Twilight Zone episode.
Kim Jackson
Pretty good book to be so short.
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Adam Vanzant
Adam Vanzant marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Denise R. Jackson-Holder
Denise R. Jackson-Holder marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Xerces
Xerces marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Christy Parker
Christy Parker marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Delta
Delta marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I'm the bestselling author of REUNION, Twisted Vengeance, Creepy and The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe.

I live in Central Indiana with my wife, four children and two stray cats. I obsess over details, dream strange dreams and teach a creative writing course for a homeschool co-op. Look for my upcoming paranormal thriller, Act of Vengeance, coming in late 2011.

I grew up in Saginaw Michigan,
More about Jeff Bennington...
Reunion Twisted Vengeance (Twisted Vengeance, #1) Creepy, Book 1: A Collection of Ghost Stories and Paranormal Short Stories (Creepy Series) Creepy: A Collection of Scary Stories The Secret Tree