Start by marking “How Do You Hug a Porcupine?” as Want to Read:
How Do You Hug a Porcupine?

How Do You Hug a Porcupine?

The third book in the General Mills Spoonful of Stories series!

Published July 26th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How Do You Hug a Porcupine?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Do You Hug a Porcupine?

Fallen Idols by Mark  MillerNew Kids on the Rock by Mark  MillerDown Under Thunder by Mark  MillerThe Adventures of Cefa the Cat, Cefa Finds a Home by Cristine CatonNowhere Girl by A.J. Paquette
New Children's Books of 2011
36th out of 51 books — 23 voters
Whisper My Name by Jay  WrightSTEM Storiez - Counting Zoo by ZyroboticsThe Star by Michele BrezaNap-A-Roo by Kristy KurjanPolar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? by Bill Martin Jr.
Babies, Toddlers, and Books
17th out of 55 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Apr 30, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

This book is so darn cute!!! :-) I am a fan of Gwen Millward's illustrations already (esp. The Bog Baby) and this is another charming work. The story is adorable, too. It's very easy to hug some animals ("Can you hug a horse? Of course!" and hugging a cat or dog is not so hard, you can hug them in your own backyard!) BUT "How do you hug a porcupine?" I love seeing all the different animals getting their hugs (this would be a nice one for vegetarian/vegan families since farm animals are
Lisa Vegan
Apr 29, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children who love animals and pretty illustrations
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Right on the cover it says this book is the winner of the Cheerios (cereal) New Author Contest. Well, I’m glad they’re supporting authors and books and reading. And they sure found a gem with this book and author, and with its illustrator too.

The rhyming story is wonderful, rhyming all the way through until the last page, which has just one word. The story is fun and funny and sweet. The only thing I didn’t like was that there were a couple animals along the way that weren’t hug worthy, and they
Leslie
Oct 03, 2011 Leslie rated it liked it
Shelves: cheerios-stories
This book came in my box of Cheerios. The pictures of children attempting to hug various animals are adorable. The rhymes are so-so. For instance, the author rhymes "horse" with "of course", which made me think of the Mr. Ed theme song. The ending of the book is where we FINALLY learn how one hugs a porcupine--I won't spoil the ending, but it was a disappointment.
Tricia
Oct 08, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Rhyming text that lines up with each animal being hugged and several re-visits as it is wondered "but how do you hug a porcupine?" Cute enough. Not going to venture into storytime with it but imagine that an audience would enjoy it, especially the steps taken to finally answer the question!
Marlene
Oct 19, 2016 Marlene rated it really liked it
You can hug any animal any old time but how do you hug a porcupine? Rhyming and hugging, it opens some great ideas about how we do things.
Jessica Sommers
Sep 12, 2016 Jessica Sommers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
This book tells a story about how easy it is to approach and hug all different kinds animals. However, a porcupine is one animal that does not seem possible to hug because it looks so prickly. Throughout the book, the author lists all these animals, but keeps on referring back to the porcupine. By the end of the book, the author reveals that it is possible to hug the porcupine, it just has to be done carefully.

I thought this an adorable book that would be great for younger children!
My favorite a
Amy Forrester
Jun 15, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Most animals are easy to hug. You can hug a dog or cat in your own backyard and you might need a ladder, but hugging a giraffe is doable. Elephants like to be hugged around their trunks and baby chicks like sweet, little hugs. But how do you hug a porcupine? Why, very carefully of course!

The gently rhyming text and short sentences make this a wonderful book for a read aloud with toddlers. The bright illustrations, set against a mostly white background, feature a gang of multiracial children who
While the topic was entertaining, I was a little surprised by how many other animals the books mentions hugging. I get the point, but it was a bit much. I did enjoy talking about animal sounds with my one- and two-year-olds. I would use this as a brain break or before talking about animals. I could also say that sometimes feelings make us like porcupines and we need to be hugged very carefully at those times.

Interest Level
Grades PreK - 2
Reading Level
Grade
Hailey
Jan 14, 2016 Hailey added it
Shelves: child-lit
This book tells how to hug all different kinds of animals like pigs an bunnies and dogs, but the narrator does not know how to hug a porcupine. The book tells that a porcupine is so sharp to protect itself, but the narrator is the porcupine's friend so it should not hurt him. He finally figures out how to hug a porcupine, but read the book to find out how!
I enjoyed how this story showed hugging so many animals and I really liked how the book also explained why porcupines aren't soft to add to ho
Fjóla
Oct 12, 2012 Fjóla rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 3 - 6 year olds, read aloud
I was pleasantly surprised by this book by a new author Laurie Isop: In rollicky rhyme, a book about hugging (sort of). The somewhat bland cover doesn't really do the book justice, as the pictures in the book are genuinely cute and fun! Considering one animal after the other, made us tangentially think of the lovely, now classic Is Your Mama A Llama?.
Emily Petering
Feb 01, 2016 Emily Petering rated it liked it
This was a cute book about all the ways you can hug different animals. The author used a rhyming text that really allowed the book to flow. The text did get a bit repetitive though. There wasn't much of a plot to the story. The illustrations were very cute, simple, and calming. They did a great job in adding to the story. Though the book was a little repetitive, it was very cute with a good ending.

This book could be used in a young classroom maybe from pre-k to first grade. You could use this b
Jenny
Of course, you can probably figure out the answer to this question. :) My children and I enjoyed this rhyming book with fun illustrations of a variety of animals. Some of the animals they hug really are huggable and some are animals that should not actually be hugged (perhaps a point should be made to tell young children that you should never hug a wild animal...or even someone else's pet without their permission).

As I have my students write a how to book each year, this might be a fun one to sh
Treasure
Dec 23, 2011 Treasure rated it it was amazing
A picture book by first time author and Renton, WA, resident Laurie Isop, who won the Cheerios New Author contest. The premise of her book is that everyone deserves a hug! The rhyming text talks all about the different animals you can hug and how to hug them, but the question keeps coming up—How do you hug a porcupine?! Of course, we learn in the end that you hug one very carefully! The illustrations are soft and cute, and readers will enjoy the rhyme, rhythm, and silly story.
(Reviewed for Puget
Brianna
Grade Levels: P-2
* A cute book to read aloud during the first day of school or first few weeks of school to encourage students to meet new people and make new friends; teaches character traits such as courage and kindness; integrates science with literacy by introducing different animals to students; discuss with students some ways that they might show themselves courageous or friendly throughout the school year
Carol Harlow
Mar 31, 2011 Carol Harlow rated it it was amazing
So have you ever seen a real porcupine? Now imagine hugging one, ouch! Hugging a bunny or a bear are a lot easier to picture! I wouldn’t know how to even begin to wrapping my arms around a porcupine.

The latest contest winner Laurie Isop and illustrator Gwen Millward have done a fantastic job!

Amanda
Sep 19, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
Have you ever thought of hugging a porcupine? I sure haven't and I have never thought how you would even go about it! this book addresses this problem. We all know how to hug dogs, cats and the occasional cow but a porcupine? I chose this book as my read aloud because of the bright pictures and the silliness it allows. While the story suggests that you hug a porcupine carefully, the pictures and words that get you there are so engaging, I wanted the story to keep going!
Shelli
Apr 24, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When reading this book aloud with a small child or children I would first ask some questions:

How would you hug a porcupine?
Is there an animal that you would never want to hug?
What animal would you want to hug more than any other animal? Why?

The best part about reading with children is the small and not so small conversations that would otherwise not arise with out the aid of the book and the questions or thoughts it might bring.
Camila
Nov 22, 2013 Camila rated it really liked it
Shelves: rhyming
This is one of my all time favorite books! My Kindergarten mentor teacher took me to the book fair and bought me several books including this one. The book goes through several animals and talks about ways to hug them. The illustrations are wonderful and it rhymes from the first page to the last. The reason I gave it four stars was because it makes it sound like some animals aren't worthy of being hugged which I don't like. I think that it's an easy read especially for emerging readers.
Christine Turner
Can you imagine hugging a porcupine? Sure, it's easy to picture hugging a bunny or even a billy goat, but where would you begin to try to hug a porcupine? After seeing all his friends hug their favorite animals, one brave boy works up the courage to hug a porcupine, but the porcupine isn't so sure he wants to be hugged!

The latest contest winner Laurie Isop and illustrator Gwen Millward aren't afraid to ask the pointed questions!
Angela
Apr 18, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
Author: Laurie Isop
Grade Level: K-2
Content: Rhyming, hugging different animals, characteristics of different animals.

This book has very cute illustrations. Book relates to affection for animals. It asks the reader how to hug different animals. It provides some characteristics of the animals.

Literature:
Book provides a wide range of rhyming words. I could incorporate into a lesson for punctuation because only a sentence or two are on each page.

Mary Hood
May 05, 2013 Mary Hood rated it really liked it
Kindergarten-Grade 3
This is a cute book! This book is good for using in a writing lesson. First show the cover of the book and ask children to answer the question "how do you hug a porcupine?" Give children the opportunity to share their writing. After the writing is complete, read aloud the story to the children to compare their thoughts with the ending of the book. Awarded a new author award by Cheerios.
Avel Rudenko
May 14, 2011 Avel Rudenko rated it liked it
I read this one to my nephew and niece at night today. They liked it, I couldn't complain either. You continually are left reading and pondering upon the never-ending question, that baffles the uninitiated: "How Do You Hug a Porcupine?" Good question, read this book to find out the answer, to this mystifying question.
Jan
Feb 02, 2012 Jan rated it liked it
Dogs and cats, bunnies and chicks, and even elephants and giraffes have a place where you can hug them. But how do you hug a porcupine? This was a cute book, but it bothered me that she didn't figure out how to hug the yak or the skunk. If the premise of the book is that everyone is huggable, what happened to the two that were passed by? Perhaps the kids won't even notice. Nice for preschoolers.
Michelle Marcano
I read this book in the English and Spanish version. It was great! I loved seen the relationship between the two languages and how even in Spanish the story still rhymes and still makes sense. I love this book for my ELL's because it gives the direct translation of words and they can read the story in two different languages.
Allison Burke
This adorable book talks about different animals and their features and how one would hug each type. It could be helpful when discussing how animals are all different and have different characteristics. t's a great book that teaches about words that rhyme as well. The pictures are too cute! Grades prek-1st
Susan Wright
Jan 29, 2014 Susan Wright rated it it was amazing
How do you Hug a Porcupine? is a great read aloud for preschoolers and kindergarten children. Easy to read, the lyrical passages are beautifully illustrated and answer the very important question of how you do hug a porcupine. This book can also be used to discuss how to deal with situations that might potentially be dangerous.
Ina
Feb 13, 2012 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
This is a charming book, told in rhyme advising the reader on how to hug all sorts of animals (even a yak!). The phrase "But how do you hug a porcupine?" is repeated several times and the kids at storytime would say it with me, taking their cue from the rhyming word on the page before. The illustrations are very cute. In the end the reader does learn exactly how to hug a porcupine.
Marcie
Jun 19, 2012 Marcie rated it it was ok
Recommended to Marcie by: Cheerios
I guess I can see why Cheerios awarded this a new author award and although I like it, I think I took it too seriously and didn't really get off on it. My first thought on reading "hugging bunnies is just divine." was that with all the stray bunnies in my yard I'm not sure I'd encourage hugging them.
Cassie Houck
Jan 15, 2016 Cassie Houck rated it liked it
This story is all about hugs. They go through talking about how you hug other animals, and then they wonder how can we hug a porcupine.

I really liked this book, it was super cute and had good age appropriate humor.

I would love to have this book in my library, and I would use it during story time or in reading rotations.
Meg McGregor
Apr 15, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
This is a wonderful book by a first time children's author who won the Cheerios New Author Contest.

How do you hug a porcupine? Have you ever stopped to think about it? It is easy to hug other animals - but a porcupine?

Fantastically whimsical illustrations make this book a keeper!
  • The Biggest Kiss