Start by marking “Fear Itself” as Want to Read:
Fear Itself

Fear Itself (E.L. Pender #2)

From Jonathan Nasaw, whose heart-stopping debut was hailed as "a superior thriller" ("The Washington Post") and "wickedly compelling" ("The Oregonian"), comes a new novel that takes readers into the depths of"Fear Itself"

Is it possible to be scared to death? FBI Special Agent E. L. Pender thinks so -- when a man afraid of heights falls nineteen stories to his death and a w
Mass Market Paperback, 470 pages
Published 2003 by Pocket Star Books (first published December 31st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fear Itself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear Itself

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
I really love his books, but they seem very hard to find....
Oct 23, 2016 Kelsea rated it liked it
A seriously just okay sequel.
I don't like crime novels but I did actually enjoy this one! A series of murders are taking place and the common link is that the victims all are phobics who are murdered using the methods that most frightens them. At first it looks like suicides but then the victims are all traced to a phobia conference that they all attended.

Investigating the case is Linda Abruzzi, an FBI agent trying to hide her own medical problems and semi-retired agent Pender who decides to break the rules to catch the ki
Nov 19, 2013 Levian rated it it was amazing
just a few days before retirement, FBI agent Pender received a letter from Dorie, mentioning some unlikely deaths of people like her, who attended conference for suffering a variety of phobias. however, these deaths seemed strange, not some random suicides as they appeared to be - a man afraid of heights fell nineteen stories to his death, a woman terrified of blood was found with her wrists slashed. now that her friend Wayne missed their appointment, Dorie was afraid that the killer was coming ...more
Jun 23, 2014 Jess rated it did not like it
I was incredibly disappointed with the way this book was written. The plot was such a great idea and the events stunning but every character just knew what to do in order to sort out the problem. They didn't need any clues and there was absolutely no suspense, apart from maybe the first few pages. After that it was predictable, boring but I wanted to know if it would get better. Some authors do this to mislead the reader but this book was just one big blur of disappointment. I have read other bo ...more
Jan 09, 2016 Christine rated it liked it
Fantastic premise.. a serial killer who tortures his victims with their own phobias. A man who fears drowning found in the ocean, a man afraid of heights "jumps" from a roof.. With the always colorful Agent E.L. Pender offering his services to find the evil genius.

While I generally fawn over Nasaw's books, the pacing of this particular novel left me underwhelmed. The first half was so page-turning, exciting, and despicably dark, that it left the second half unsurprising and slightly predictable.
Jennifer L.
Jonathan Nasaw has always had a way of sucking me in to each story he tells, and this one was no different. Perfect dialogue, an entertaining story with just enough twists, engaging characters, a believable trajectory...overall, this was everything I could really ask for in a crime novel, and I loved every minute.

As ever, Nasaw is a clever and entertaining writer, and I'd recommend him to anyone who just wants to escape into a good suspense/crime story, at times horrific, and at times just funny
Not nearly as good as the first in the series. The psychology aspect of it was okay (it was phenomenal in "Girls he Adored"), E. L. Pender's character was kind of annoying as was his romantic relationship, and the pacing wasn't nearly as fast as thriller ought to be, especially the procedural parts of it. Will continue reading the series just because I loved his first book so much, hopefully it'll pick up.
Barbara ★
This wasn't one of my favorites by this author. In the beginning, I enjoyed the mystery right up until the FBI figured out who the murderer was. Then the chase was on but the story dragged and was rather boring. I liked FBI agent Linda Abruzzi but wasn't all that enamored of E.L. Pender (the semi-retired agent). The murderer was a total freak but he really loved his Down Syndrome sister which was sweet but surprising in such a grisly murderer.
May 11, 2010 David rated it liked it
"The Boys from Santa Cruz" introduced me to Nasaw, and I wish I had started reading his books chronologically to learn more about his protagonist, FBI Special Agent Pender.

Anyway, these are good, solid thrillers, fit for airport or beach reading by anyone, anytime. Nothing profound here, but entertaining.
A friend of mine recommended I read this book recently cause she really enjoyed it and had it sitting on her book shelf, so she lend it to me and I am happy that she did. I really loved the premise of the book, it was very interesting and I found the book to be a great read, I really enjoyed this book.
Sep 21, 2008 Kimmi rated it liked it
After The Girls He Adored, it was a little bit of a let down, but it is hard to follow a great book. I believe that if I had read it before I would have liked the book more. My expectations were great. Having said all of that, the book was hard to put down and a fast read. Looking forward to more from Nasaw.
Apr 27, 2012 Janie rated it it was amazing
Really good thriller! I have MS was particularly interested in this story as one of the main characters has MS and trying to perform her duties while struggling with the ups and downs of this disease. The book is really good at delving into the characters and getting you involved in why they do or don't do certain things. Really good read!
Aug 25, 2007 Angie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007
In some ways, this book reminded me of the "Saw" movies. Take a person's greatest fear and use it against them. Not exactly a novel idea, but in the mind of Jonathan Nasaw, it becomes horrific and terrifying. The twists and turns kept me guessing all the way to the end - and made it a quick read. What do you have to fear, after all, but Fear Itself? (Cheesy, I know, but I couldn't resist!)
I am so glad to be done with this. It was so boring. I do love the idea of it because it's clever and I haven't heard of someone else doing it before. I didn't really like the first book of the series but I read this one anyway because I owned it for a long time. I will not be continuing on in the series.
David Schlack
Oct 11, 2015 David Schlack rated it liked it
I have acrophobia, the fear of heights, and I'm glad I never met Simon Childs. I give Fear Itself by Jonathan Nasaw a 3. He gives us a unique plot and I like his writing style and main characters but novel seemed to be hard to finish. Enjoy!
Oct 12, 2014 Farhan rated it really liked it
An entertaining thriller featuring the middle-aged FBI Special Agent Pender who is about to retire. Fast-paced and fun about a psychopath who preys on his victims' phobias and like to literally scare them to death.
Jan 20, 2016 Evelyn rated it it was amazing
Fear Itself by Jonathan Nasaw. Enjoyed this book. Wonder where the Authors come by their stories. This story keeps your interest until the end.
Jan 27, 2013 Jude rated it liked it
I learned a lot of phobia names here, and my, could use each for an advantage, but this guy seriously had a knack for taking it to a greater "advantage". He's got quite a past too.
Aug 31, 2012 Ricardo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was entertaining although the credibility factor was extremely low. The plot relied too much on "luck" to make things work out. Not a bad book but nothing that stood out either
Lee Ann Horner
Aug 26, 2014 Lee Ann Horner rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book.The idea of someone exploiting the phobias of others is not new but is utilised well here.
Nicole Krubski
Aug 28, 2011 Nicole Krubski rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first one! Enjoyed this and creeped myself out. A psycho who kills by using your fears against you. Opening page is a guy afraid of birds - almost wet myself
May 08, 2008 Eva rated it really liked it
Very good book, different from what I usually read. Not as good as The girls he adored or even When she was bad, but still can hold its own.
colin slater
colin slater rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Jim H
Jim H rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2013
Matt Riddell
Matt Riddell rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2011
Laura rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Palindrome rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Chris Miller
Chris Miller rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2013
Mysterious rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2008
  • The Dead Room (Darby McCormick #3)
  • The Cleaner (Cleaner, #1)
  • Die Reinheit des Todes (Julius Kern, #1)
  • Psychopath (Frank Clevenger, #4)
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • The Skin Gods (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #2)
  • Midnight Cab
  • The Trafficked (Detective Johnny Mann, #2)
  • Good Morning, Killer (Ana Grey, #2)
  • The Tunnels (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #1)
  • Der stumme Tod: Gereon Raths zweiter Fall (Gereon Rath, #2)
  • The Bone Parade
  • Web of Deceit
  • So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson, #6)
  • Totenblick
  • Terror's Reach
Jonathan Nasaw is the acclaimed author of Fear Itself and The Girls He Adored, both Literary Guild Selections. He lives in Pacific Grove, California.

* E.L. Pender
* James Whistler
More about Jonathan Nasaw...

E.L. Pender (5 books)