Pirates Don't Take Baths

Pirates Don't Take Baths

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  52 reviews
For any young child (or pig), there are few things more excruciating, more traumatic, more torturous than bathtime. And this little pig is putting his hoof down. No. More. BATHS. But how can he possibly accomplish this? Well, by being someone else, of course. After all, everyone knows that pirates, astronauts, and knights in shining armor-just to name a few-never, EVER tak...more
Published March 3rd 2011 by Philomel

Erin
Pirates Don’t Take Baths is a terrible and offensive book. Most reviewers on GoodReads have written about how it deals with the issue of children not wanting to bathe with whimsy and fantasy. As a librarian who works with Iñupiaq children I am GREATLY OFFENDED by the comments about Eskimos not taking baths and eating “gross” foods.

The illustrations and text do not do the people of the north any justice. The Iñupiaq people practice a subsistence lifestyle that many people may regard as “gross” b...more
Miss Balzaretti
The book, Pirates Don’t Take Baths, written and illustrated by John Segal tells the tale of a little pig who will say just about anything to get out of taking a bath. This book incorporates two characters, a parent and child pig, but don’t have names. These characters rely on dialogue to develop throughout the book. The parental pig can be identified by its size and its dialogue, same for the child pig. The story involves a lot of questions posed by the parental pig as the child pig claims many...more
The Library Lady
Okay, here you have the classic "I don't want to take a bath" bit melded with the equally classic Runaway Bunny sort of parent/child clash, told completely in dialogue. In this case it's Pig, who doesn't want to take a bath and his parent who counters each of his arguments with one of his/her own. Note that it includes one about it being hard to pee/poop in zero gee, in case that bugs you, but it will make preschoolers giggle for sure.
I'd also note that while Pig is probably a boy, his parent's...more
Barbara
Bath time is often dreaded by children, and in this picture book, a reluctant pig uses every excuse he can dream up to avoid taking that bath. But his mother, not to be outdone, has a response for his every argument, even coming up with a reason for him to get in that water. The pencil and watercolor illustrations show the intrepid young explorer in various sorts of poses. The pig profiles worked well, but I didn't like the illustrations that showed both eyes in odd places. This one will be well...more
Anna
This book is a cute book about a little pig that does not want to take a bath. He instead says all of the things that he is and the reasons that those people do not take baths. These people include a pirate, a cowboy, an eskimo, a knight and a few other. However every time the younger pig states why they do not bath, the older one tells the younger one why he is not that person. For example, pirates get sea sick so the little pig cannot be a pirate. I think that this book is fun and entertaining...more
Embrc
A young pig does not want to take a bath... he claims to be a pirate because as everyone knows pirates don't take baths! His mother reminds him though that he gets seasick. Well, that's ok because he's a cowboy and cowboys don't take baths either! But, mother tells him, they have to sleep on the cold, hard ground. And on it goes with astronaut, knight, etc. This is a very cute bathtime book. Could be used in storytime (bath theme, PJ storytime, etc.) I really liked the watercolor illustrations....more
Samantha
A very cute book about a pig who does not want to take a bath. The little pig says all different sorts of things to get out of taking a bath like; he is a knight and can't get his armor wet, he will go to the desert where there is no water to bathe, or that he is an Eskimo and it is much to cold to take a bath, and that pirates don't take baths!! I thought that the book was quite charming and could be used in a classroom of younger students, pre-school to first grade. It could be a very helpful...more
L.
The illustrations are lovely but the story is just ok.
Nancy
You have to be a crafty mom to outwit a little pig that does not want to take a bath. Momma is up for this challenge. Each time her son tries on a new persona she is right there with plausible reasoning on why her son might not want to be a pirate or cowboy or an astronaut.

That is until she outfoxes her little man by letting him believe that he is right and that underwater treasure hunters do not need to take baths.

This is a perfect book for parents to keep at hand when bath time becomes an iss...more
Carolina
Adorable book, about a little pig who doesnt want to take a bath, He comes up with any and evry proffesion there is that doesn't involve water and taking a bath... Until his mommy finally tricks him, into taking a bath and he didn't even notice. Until he was done and came out and realized he had just taken a bath. The colors were very light and subtle.

An activity I would do with this book, is that I would have each child dress up in whatever they want to be when they grow up.
Heidi
A fun little book with a child and his imagination--all trying to avoid a bath. Could work well in a PJ or preschool storytime Though how I'd ever read the astronaut part with a straight face or no fear of adults' reactions, I don't know--I'd either skip those pages or edit to more Heidi-happy words. I like the parent's imagination taking part at the end.
Tricia
Fun to readaloud to one or many, this story is about a pig who doesn't want to take his bath. He imagines himself in a whole myriad of situations that he believes would save him from the event. Each one is met with his mother's voice providing a reason why it's impossible. Illustrations add to the fun of the banter between pig and his mother.
June
Jun 20, 2013 June rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bath and pirate requests
This was a big hit in story time and got checked out. Used it again in PJ Story Time and it kept a 5 year old and 3rd grader's interest. Too much for the toddler.

A pig doesn't want a bath and tries to avoid taking a bath by claiming to be various things from an Astronaut to a pirate...
Heather
27 months - We read this one from the library a few times. O seemed to enjoy the creativity of avoiding a bath. I wasn't overly taken by the artwork and the story's flow seemed awkward at times maybe because the text didn't denote who's speaking what when. Cute idea for a story though.
Beth Wood
Written in two voices, the mother and the child, this book follows the conversation between them as the child tries to find a persona that will allow him to never take baths. The mother counters each argument and at the end makes the bath a fun place to be. Nice big illustrations.
John Hostetter
A cute story with entertaining pictures and a fun little story. This book would obviously go well with bath time and explaining to kids that baths are necessary since most children dread it. I feel this is more of a book to read at home rather than school but a good story either way!
Melissa
I really enjoyed the illustrations; I liked how he used wonderful color and shading but still kept the shapes unmistakeably 2D. The color is great throughout, actually. I liked the mom, playing along and not getting exasperated. Of course it reminded me of The Runaway Bunny.
Erin
Good idontwanna book for young ones. The young pig goes through all sorts of different careers that do not require baths, but each one of them has a bad point that he didn't think about. Which job will finally get him into the tub?

Good for preschool and toddler storytimes
Becky
It'd be great to be a pirate and never have to take a bath...but what about the seasickness, Mom counters? Same with being a cowboy and sleeping on the ground, or being an astronaut and peeing in space. Hmmm. Maybe it's easier to take the bath than defeat Mom-logic.
Margie
This nominee for the 2012 Children's Book Council K-2nd grade selection is one chuckling moment after another as mom and piglet battle in the bath time ritual.
Read my full review at:
Alisa
Silly story of a smart litte pig pirate who does NOT want to take a bath and comes up with lots of pretend ways he shouldn't need to take a bath, but his mom counters back every one. Eventually, he is a treasure hunter and finds treasure in the water (bath).
Marcie
What preschooler won't love a book with "It's hard to poop and pee in zero gravity" humorouslly placd among the many imaginary characters who won't be taking a bath. Might be fun to pair as a read aloud with Tedd Arnold's No more water in the tub.
Kate Hastings
Preschool-K. A little pig decides to be a pirate because pirates don't have to take baths! But keeps changing his mind about what he wants to be because he doesn't like other aspects of pirate/cowboy/knight life. Very funny. Great for storytime!
Cassie
Feb 28, 2013 Cassie added it
Shelves: picture-book
No. More. BATHS. But how can the little pig possibly accomplish this? Well, by being someone else, of course. After all, everyone knows that pirates, astronauts, and knights in shining armor-just to name a few-never, EVER take baths.
Amy
Well, my niece and nephew liked this one, and they thought it was funny. I thought it was ok. It wasn't spectacualr, but it wasn't terrible either. Probably a good bedtime story for that reluctant bather.
Donalyn
A little pig uses his big imagination to avoid taking baths. I like how his mother validates him, but points out certain facts her son may not have considered, while gently steering him toward the tub.
Meredith
I gave this book 2 stars cause my son found it entertaining. I however found it slightly offensive and poorly written and poorly illustrated. I am glad this was rented from the library and not purchased.
Lauren
My boys (2 & 4) insist on having this read to them each night. Besides the culturally inaccurate and stereotyped 'Eskimos' and drawings that are a little weird, I find it fun to read to them.
Kelly
May 04, 2011 Kelly added it
Shelves: picture-book
It's the typical "I don't want this so I will pretend to be everything else until I make my own way of doing it" book. Not as good as others. I do like the illustrations a lot, though.
Kim Patton
Kids will love both the fact that the book is about pirates and the star is a pig. The pig-pirate hates to take baths, but of course, ends up exploring and finds adventure in the bathtub!
  • Huck Runs Amuck!
  • Sea Monster's First Day
  • The Woods
  • The Loud Book!
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
Carrot Soup The Lonely Moose Far Far Away Alistair and Kip's Great Adventure! Sopa De Zanahoria / Carrot Soup (Spanish Edition)