Start by marking “Half and Half” as Want to Read:
Half and Half

Half and Half

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  21 reviews
FIONA CHENG IS half and half: Her father is Chinese and her mother is Scottish. Fiona looks more like her father than her mother, so people always expect her to be more interested in her Chinese half than her Scottish half. Lately even Fiona’s confused about who she really is.

“A realistic, gentle and funny tale.”—Detroit News & Free Press

“Readers will identify with Fio
Published December 18th 2008 by Yearling (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Half and Half, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Half and Half

Leane
Half and Half is a very cute story that can really hit home for children who are from multiple cultures. The narrator, Fiona, is half Chinese and half Scottish. Physically, she considers herself to be 65% Chinese and 35% Scottish. Fiona is proud to represent two very different cultures. However, on the day that she has to choose a box to represent her racial background on a form, Fiona discovers that she has a difficult choice to make between being Asian, White, or simply, Other. Her problems gr ...more
Erica Pak
Summary:Half and Half is written by Lensey Namioka. This book is about a little girl that is of mixed ethnicity. Fiona Cheng is half Chinese and half Scottish. When looking at Fiona she looks more Chinese then Scottish, so her peers have a prejudged notion about what culture/ethnicity she is more interested or identifies with more. Because of how she looks she is expected to be more interested in Chinese culture in comparison to her Scottish side. Due to the prejudgments and expectations Fiona b ...more
Olivia Margolis
Half and Half, by Lensey Namloka, is about a young girl named Fiona Cheng. She is half and half. Her mother is Scottish and her father is Chinese. Fiona looks more like her father than her mother, so people always expect her to be more interested in her Chinese half than her Scottish half. When her grandparents from both sides come to town for a folk festival, Fiona wants to perform with her Scottish grandfather's folk dancing troupe. But whoever saw a Chinese girl dancing a Highland reel? Fiona ...more
Kirei
Fiona has immigrant grandparents on both sides of her family--Chinese on her dad's side and Scottish on her mom's. When her Chinese grandma and her Scottish grandparents come visit, a scheduling conflict forces her to choose.

Meanwhile, there is her brother, who prefers kung fu over Scottish dancing and wearing a kilt. It would have been interesting to see the book from his point of view.

I thought the resolutation was a little, "Duh, why didn't they think of that in the first place!" But still it
Carrie
Eh. This title was mentioned in one of the "teacher texts" I read this summer. I kind of ordered it on a whim, without doing much checking on it. Turns out it's DEFINITELY a late-elementary text. GREAT message, good plot (for the age group), not really going to be a hot commodity with my high schoolers. Oh well. I guess the lesson is to thoroughly investigate books before you buy them (darn Amazon.com and its one-click buying!!!!)!
Kim B.
This book goes pretty well with the "Year of the Dog" and "Year of the Rat" books, as it's all about culture. If you liked those, you might like this too. If the book has one problem, it's that it's too short and we don't get to see a lot of the struggles of being half-Chinese and half-Scottish, but that's not a huge complaint. It's a small, pleasant book with few surprises but some interesting tidbits about culture.
Izlinda
I read it a long time ago while relaxing in the children's section of my public library. It intrigued me because of the cover, and the premise.

While sometimes too simplistic, it is a children's book. I can see children getting new perspectives from it. Not relating to one specific culture, or hanging between two/several is hard.
Bev
This author is coming to my school in April, and I think her book will appeal to the 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. It explores one girl's feelings about being half Irish and half Chinese and the difficulties she faces trying to reconcile the two. A sweet story with a good lesson for this age group.
Fiona had a really hard decision, I would be torn on what to choose, be loyal to her Chinese half or her Scottish half? I envy her for having strong cultural backgrounds. My mother has some from her parents, but my family is just the average American.
Indi Killjoy
I feel like this book was quite inspirational, but I think I would've enjoyed it more if it was longer. I feel like a lot of the events happened quite quickly, but still a wonderful story nonetheless.
Naomi
Story of a young girl who discovers both her Chinese and Scottish heritage through preparing to preform for the Seattle Folk Life Festival. A great story about family and identity.
Rachel
Fiona's dad is chinese and her mom is scottish. She is half and half. When she has to decide between either side of the family, someone is going to get the feelings hurt.
Monique
This book is just a quick read book. Its for girls around 9-11 years old. Its short and simple, but it has a lot of meaning to it .
Renee
Jul 04, 2009 Renee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4th-7th
The story may end a bit too neatly; however, I like how the main character explores what it means to be both Chinese and Scottish.
sarafem
An easy read about a multiracial young girl trying to find a balance between her two cultures.
Felix
The book was very touching considering that I am fully SCOTTISH.
Mickey
lobal Reading Challenge book for Concord School.
Kyle
Read this years ago, hated it.
Maya
Jul 03, 2008 Maya rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10 year olds
Great.
Shaeley Santiago
Shaeley Santiago marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Laissa
Laissa marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Melanie
Melanie is currently reading it
Nov 05, 2014
Xochitl Rocha
Xochitl Rocha marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
  • Apple Pie Fourth of July
  • Archer's Quest
  • Seaglass Summer
  • The Year of the Dog
  • Independent Dames: What You Never Knew About the Women and Girls of the American Revolution
  • Any Small Goodness: A Novel of the Barrio
  • Bobby vs. Girls (Accidentally)
  • The Counterfeit Family Tree of Vee Crawford-Wong
  • Three Wishes: Palestinian and Israeli Children Speak
  • Tea with Milk
  • The Red Pencil
Namioka was born in Beijing, the daughter of linguist Yuenren Chao and physician Buwei Yang Chao. The family moved often in China. In 1937, the Chaos were living in Nanjing, and fled westward in the face of the Japanese Invasion. They eventually made their way to Hawaii, then Cambridge, Massachusetts. Namioka attended grade school in Cambridge and excelled at mathematics.

Namioka attended Universit
More about Lensey Namioka...
Ties That Bind, Ties That Break Mismatch An Ocean Apart, a World Away Yang the Youngest and his Terrible Ear April and the Dragon Lady