Start by marking “Eat, Drink & Be Vegan: Great Vegan Food for Special and Everyday Celebrations” as Want to Read:
Eat, Drink & Be Vegan: Great Vegan Food for Special and Everyday Celebrations

Eat, Drink & Be Vegan: Great Vegan Food for Special and Everyday Celebrations

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,068 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In Dreena Burton's first two best-selling vegan cookbooks, "The Everyday Vegan" and "Vive le Vegan!," she offered a dazzling array of healthy, animal-free recipes, many of which were based on her experience as a mother of two young girls she and her husband are raising as vegans. Dreena also maintains an active website (www.everydayvegan.com) and blog (www.vivelevegan.blog...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Arsenal Pulp Press

To ask other readers questions about Eat, Drink & Be Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat, Drink & Be Vegan

Morgan
Some really rude guy decided to tell me what he thought of veganism as he saw me reading this book.

Needless to say, I am happy with my food choices.

And this book makes me happy too.
Callina
Mar 23, 2008 Callina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone.
First, I'm not a total vegan, nor do I have any intention of becoming one, but I heard good things about this book, and in general, vegan recipes are super healthy, and I'm always looking for healthy/yummy things to make.

This book pretty much blew my mind, not only because of the amazing flavor combinations used in the recipes that I just wouldn't have thought of on my own, but because the recipes are very un-intimidating. I was a little afraid they would call for weird, expensive and hard-to-f...more
Peregrine
I love Dreena Burton's recipes, and I've tried a few in the past with great success (the banana cashew butter ice cream is to die for) - this one focuses more on dips, soups, desserts for special occassions. There is an entire section on hummus (one of my favorite categories) that I'm excited to try. I think this would work better for a veteran vegan - someone who has all the essential basics down and is looking to add a greater repertoire. Some of the recipes require hard to track down ingredie...more
M
This cookbook is sooo good. I was looking at it in the store and the author had little tips on different brands of vegan foods that were better than others (eg Earth Balance spread vs. others) and it was things that I had "discovered" on my own, so I thought it would be a good cookbook to check out. As a person who likes the taste of meat and cheese, but has difficulty with the ethics of it and would like to find better substitutes, I can honestly say that the recipes in this book are delicious!...more
Deja
Mmmmmmm. I'm working on switching to a Vegan whole foods diet. It's been ... wow, really hard. I mean, doable, and I feel ridiculously good, but it's certainly a transition.

This book, so far, has made it a joy. I'm in love with the "Heavenly Cream"--made from silken tofu and maple syrup. I've been putting it on fresh strawberries and swooning. I've also made the White Bean Hummus and the "Gimme Chimmies" to much aclaim from the husband and my very own tummy.
Adrienna
Starting to read this book, this is one of the first books I read that shares what to do with ripped bananas if bought in bundles to put in a Ziploc bags after peeled and chopped up to freeze and later use for smoothies. This is better than putting ice in your blender with frozen fruits. With ripped pears, I usually disregard in the trash but now will try the peary mush that was advised to use for toppings of breakfast items.

I only coupled a possible three recipes to try; such as green smoothie,...more
Jessica
These recipes are delicious! Dreena Burton knows how to create healthy, satisfying dishes with clear instructions for the home cook. I only wish there were photos on every page!

Here's what I've made so far -

Veggie Tempeh Muffuletta: I know, a recipe for a sandwich? But this is so delicious, I've made it twice now. Picture this: a big loaf stuffed with marinated tempeh, fennel, red peppers, artichokes, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, herbs, and avocado. This muffuletta does not disappoint.

Art...more
A.K. White
I was lucky enough to receive this book as a gift. Dreena's recipes are just like the woman herself: wonderful. As long as she keeps dreaming up recipies, we vegans will continue to eat well!
Sps
Burton's palate shares less with mine than, say, Moskowitz & Romero. I noted some recipes to try as I leafed through this book, but not very many, and the Overexcited Mommy writing style bugged me. So far I've tried two recipes and may give another a try. The peanut sauce was tasty on soba and veg. The roasted artichoke dip was a good snack to take to book club with some sesame rice crackers. (But how can you go wrong with artichoke hearts? Let's face it, you cannot.)

Erin
I love, love, LOVE this cookbook. Dreena Burton is fabulous and so are her recipes. Every single time I cook from this book (feeling a little Dr. Suess-ish!)) I have been amazed at the results. I am not a potato lover, but I highly recommend the Warm Potato & Pine Nut Salad. Words cannot accurately describe...

Run out and buy this!!!

April
Most vegan books put me to sleep or are just plain disgusting. This is not one of them. If anyone is bored with the same old same old every night, this is a fabulous book. Most recipes cook under 45 minutes and actually make me want to try new thinks like squash. It's very family friendly and a good book to have on the kitchen shelf.
Christina
This is my favorite vegan cookbook. Her recipes are consistently awesome. She has great tips on the sidebar of every recipe - including gluten-free options for when you have your gf friends over to dinner. I've also enjoyed all of her hummus recipes - which have encouraged me to make more bean dips with cannellini beans.
Shari
A really excellent, healthful vegan cookbook. The recipes use ordinary ingredients that I usually have in my cupboards and fridge, and the recipes come together pretty quickly. Unlike many vegan cookbooks, this one has a lot of recipes featuring proteins, not just vegetables. This is a great cookbook for everyday cooking.
I LOVE this cookbook. I haven't done all the recipes, but I've done quite a few. She has some fancy meals as well as a few basic ones. Love the pasta recipes, the minestrone soup, the cumin-cinnamon salad dressing, and the cookie recipes. Cooking vegan is wonderful! We are big fans of it at my house.
Holly
It has some wonderful recipes. This has a lot of basics... Dressings, gravies, sauces, frostings. It has a lot of natural sugars, wheat flour, and processed fake meats, so it is not as useful to me as it could be.
Kerri
I liked the following recipes:
- Tamari-Roasted Chickpeas - a yummy easy snack!
- Kids' Dynamo Hummus - love this hummus made with cashews and nutritional yeast
- Curry Chickpea Hummus with Pappadums - yummy!
Donna
Burton doesn't just substitute vegan ingredients, she remakes recipes to incorporate as many healthy things as possible while keeping them edible for her kids. Home of Cocoa Banana Muffins, need I say more?
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I don't seem to be getting around to trying many of these recipes, but there are some very imaginative offerings here that I've not seen in other vegan cookbooks.
S Robie
nice and simple recipes for days that i want something new, but with little fuss. we've tried a number of dishes, and have really liked quite a few of them.
Jillian
Yay! So glad I found this before Thanksgiving. This vegan cookbook rocks. The recipes are amazing and I love the explanations.
Liz
Filled with fun, simple, tasty recipes, this is one of those books that makes veganism a lot more fun.
Anda Manteufel
everything in here tastes great and the design/layout of the book itself is so nice.
Heather
Love this book so far, everything I've tried has been yummmmmmmy!
Avispon
Apr 06, 2008 Avispon is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
as a SRFV, it is reassuring that others get it as well...la de da
Bethany
Every recipe is fantastic!
Shayla
one of my most used cookbooks
Gwen the Librarian
Super hummus recipes.
  • My Sweet Vegan: passionate about dessert
  • The Vegan Table: 200 Unforgettable Recipes for Entertaining Every Guest at Every Occasion
  • Yellow Rose Recipes
  • Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul
  • 500 Vegan Recipes: An Amazing Variety of Delicious Recipes, From Chilis and Casseroles to Crumbles, Crisps, and Cookies
  • Viva Vegan! 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers
  • Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
  • 1,000 Vegan Recipes
  • Vegan Brunch: Homestyle Recipes Worth Waking Up For—From Asparagus Omelets to Pumpkin Pancakes
  • The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine
  • The Garden of Vegan: How It All Vegan Again!
  • The Vegan Scoop: 150 Recipes for Dairy-Free Ice Cream that Tastes Better Than the "Real" Thing
  • The 30-Minute Vegan: Over 175 Quick, Delicious, and Healthy Recipes for Everyday Cooking
  • Vegan A Go-Go!: A Cookbook & Survival Manual for Vegans on the Road
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food: 65 Everyday Meal Ideas for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with Over 150 Great-Tasting, Down-Home Recipes
  • Vegan Express
  • The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen
Vive le Vegan!: Simple, Delectable Recipes for the Everyday Vegan Family Let Them Eat Vegan!: 200 Deliciously Satisfying Plant-Powered Recipes for the Whole Family The Everyday Vegan: Recipes & Lessons for Living the Vegan Life Plant-Powered 15 Plant-Powered Families: Over 100 Kid-Tested, Whole-Foods Vegan Recipes