Start by marking “Peanut Butter and Homework Sandwiches” as Want to Read:
Peanut Butter and Homework Sandwiches

Peanut Butter and Homework Sandwiches

Martin MacGregor is having one rotten week! First, his substitute teacher, Mrs. Payne, gives out mountains of homework. And when Martin's dog literally eats his homework, little does he know it's only the beginning of his troubles. Martin's homework ends up in the washing machine, goes to kindergarten with his little sister, and blows onto the roof of the school. Martin ju ...more
Published July 7th 2011 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Peanut Butter and Homework Sandwiches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peanut Butter and Homework Sandwiches

Jourdan
Oct 29, 2014 Jourdan rated it liked it
Martin loved going to school because he loved his teacher, Mr. Elliott. When he shows up to school on Monday, he finds that he has a substitute, Mrs. Payne. She gives them so much homework and Martin is not very happy. He completes his homework every night, but something always goes wrong. Monday night his dog ate it. Tuesday night he accidentally left his homework in his shorts and they went in the washer! Each time he returned to class without his homework, he was forced to do it during recess ...more
Angie
Jan 15, 2013 Angie rated it really liked it
Martin really likes his teacher but finds a substitute in his place. The substitute loves giving homework. Martin is having a really bad week with his homework. He drops peanut butter and jelly on it one day and the dog eats it. Another day he forgets to take his homework out of his pocket and his mom washes it. Another day he brings his sisters bag to school instead of his. And finally the wind blows his homework away and it lands on the school roof. Martin can't catch a break!

Poor Martin! I r
Amanda
Oct 22, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: 1st-grade
My son's first response after reading this book together was that it wasn't really about peanut butter and homework sandwiches. So we had to talk about titles and why authors choose certain titles, which was hopefully instructive in itself. He probably has a point though. I liked the story and thought it was pretty funny, but he had different expectations I guess. Kind of runs along the line of Alexander's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day, but lasts about a week and is more specifically ...more
Terrie Andrews
Mar 03, 2012 Terrie Andrews rated it really liked it
Description: Martin, who is a really good student, has a hard time getting his homework turned into the substitute while his teacher is recovering from a broken arm. Three hilarious things happen to his homework over the course of a week and he has to deal with the consequences. In the end, all of his extra work is not for nothing and he is rewarded for his efforts and being a good student.
Implementation ideas: This would be a great book to read at the beginning of school to help students get or
Sydney
Sep 04, 2013 Sydney rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It highlights the importance of being responsible for your homework no matter what happens to you and the consequences when you aren't responsible. It is so funny the thing that happen to the poor main character. I also like how the book dealt with having to do homework you don't find interesting and thinking outside the box to creat your own assignment that you like, and then being rewarded for that initiative.
Jasmine
Sep 09, 2012 Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Peanut Butter and Homework sandwhich is a great story about a little boy who has trouble keeping up with his homework. On different days different things happen to his homework like his dog eats his homework one day, his homework is lost in the washer and his little sister accidently switches her bookbag with her brother. This is a great book to share with student just to have a great read along day.
Heidi-Marie
I'm not really sure what to think of this book. The story interested me. I felt bad for the guy--couldn't catch a break. A nice ending that he'd already managed to do what the teacher asked. But all that "bad luck" with the sub somehow felt unresolved to me. Not what I was looking for in my storytime search. Not really sure who I would recommend this to. I suppose the kids who have troubles (of whatever kind) with homework even though they like school and/or learning.
Dolly
Aug 11, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a very humorous tale about school. It would be a terrific book to read with children to help them prepare for going back to school and it helps to emphasize the child's responsibility in doing and turning in homework. The illustrations are terrific and since we just read Would I Ever Lie to You?, I expected them to be just as funny as the story.
Judy Desetti
Feb 05, 2013 Judy Desetti rated it really liked it
Humorous tale about a boy whose teacher is absent for a week and gets a substitute who loads on the homework. Sadly each day there is a sad event to ruin his homework so he loses recess. Boy is he glad when his teacher finally comes back.

All kids will like this one. It will make a good read aloud.
Recommend.
Shelli
Dec 28, 2014 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Poor Martin is having the worst homework week of his young academic career! His favorite teacher is out on sick leave all week and the substitute loves to give lots of homework each night. Being the good student that he is, Martin begrudgingly does the nightly work only to have something happen to it before safely turning it in the next day. A humorous read aloud which students will love.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Martin's substitute teacher assigns "mountains of homework" and does not accept excuses for no homework. Martin has a homework blunder everyday, leading to not-so-fun consequences, he eagerly awaits his teacher's return to school.

Davis' illustrations are fun and cartoon-like.

Nice book to open a discussion about homework expectations.
Tam
Sep 29, 2011 Tam rated it it was ok
Shelves: school
Sheri
Jul 12, 2012 Sheri rated it really liked it
Picture book about substitute teachers and all the things that can happen to
your homework and this poor m.c. has them all. The substitute loves to assign
large amounts of homework (odd). And the boy is so happy when his teacher returns
and he has down his own research on the teacher's pet. Will interest most
elementary school children as a read aloud or one they try to read by themselves.
Alexis Munk
Nov 29, 2016 Alexis Munk rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, fiction
I did not like the illustrations. I did like how easy it was to read. I think children could relate to this book very easy. "The dog ate my homework" is a classical excuse. I also think it is humorous how the sub gives out mountains of homework because usually subs are known for how laid back and relaxed the day is.
Joan Marie
Jan 26, 2016 Joan Marie rated it really liked it
Martin MacGregor discovers his substitute teacher gives mountains of homework. Too bad something always happens to his homework before it's turned in. He misses recess and can't wait for his favorite teacher, Mr. Elliott to return. And he does with his favorite pet, the tarantula. Martin's favorite, too!
SamZ
Jul 31, 2013 SamZ rated it it was ok
Shelves: back-to-school
I probably would have liked this story better if two things would have been different: first, substitute teachers work off of plans left by the teacher, so the sub may have been different in her teaching tactics, but the homework situation wouldn't likely be so drastically different; secondly, I just didn't like the illustrations, at all.
Charlyn
Jun 12, 2012 Charlyn rated it liked it
When Martin MacGregor's teacher breaks his arm, the substitute teacher vies Viola Swamp for the worst susbstitute ever. And the scenario worsens when Martin loses or destroys his homework daily. When will Martin's luck change?
Stefani
Nov 18, 2011 Stefani rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Martin just can't catch a break! His homework is destroyed every single day, but the substitute will not accept his excuses! Good example of things being out of your control, although kids will focus more on the humor than the moral.
Mom2jngncna~ Stephannie
Jun 27, 2012 Mom2jngncna~ Stephannie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books

This was cute. My audience was 4 and 5 yrs old but they found it "silly".
Amy
Sep 23, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok
It was ok.
Heather
Jul 18, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-library
28 months - we all have bad weeks at school and this poor kid was having a never-ending bad week. Ok story and ok illustrations. Not going to be a hit with the educational reviewer.
Megan
Aug 25, 2011 Megan rated it it was ok
nothing great
Aimee Owen
Dec 17, 2012 Aimee Owen rated it really liked it
Poor Martin McGregor just can't catch a break with his substitute teacher! Any kid whose tale of misfortune has been dismissed by an adult will sympathize with this tale of mismanaged homework!
Nov 28, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Very cute!
Jessica
May 28, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
This book gave a new meaning to all of the excuses on why a kiddo doesn't have their homework. I enjoyed the story, but I thought the bright colored illustrations really made the book come alive.
Brooke
Sep 28, 2012 Brooke rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is another book that my boys really like. It's funny to see all the things that go wrong when Martin tries to do his homework.
Karen
Oct 13, 2016 Karen rated it it was ok
This story is OK. It doesn't really represent much about school life or home life. But the illustrations are that icky cartoon style that I find so unpalatable.
Molly
I am going to pair this with the Miss Nelson books for a little back to school reading with my 7 year old.
Shawna
Dec 08, 2014 Shawna added it
Shelves: edrd-314
My students were very interested in this book! It's a fun one!
Connie
Jan 10, 2013 Connie rated it really liked it
Shelves: jv
One of our Show Me Award nominees for 2013-14, my favorite, so far. Young Martin MacGregor loses his homework to his dog, to the schoolhouse roof, to the washer, and to his sister.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • These Hands
  • The Very Inappropriate Word
  • I Need My Own Country!
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • You're Wearing THAT to School?!
  • Specs for Rex