Start by marking “My Dad, My Hero” as Want to Read:
My Dad, My Hero

My Dad, My Hero

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  116 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A young child starts off this laugh-out-loud picture book by listing all the ways his dad is NOT a superhero: he can't leap tall buildings, run faster than a speeding bullet, or shoot webs out of his wrists.

Each spread illustrates how Dad doesn't have super powers but is still a hero at heart. The sweet ending depicts all the cool-if not super-activities Dad does do with t
Published April 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

To ask other readers questions about My Dad, My Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dad, My Hero

Christine McKenna Lok
Jun 19, 2015 Christine McKenna Lok rated it it was amazing
Shelves: superhero
Cute book shows an imperfect dad who is a hero to his son nonetheless for doing fun kid activities with him! Great for Father's Day for involved dads!
Vicki
Feb 17, 2015 Vicki rated it it was amazing
A great book about dads and there are possibilities for use for the upcoming Summer Reading Program.

Unique illustrations.
Kelly Ford
Oct 23, 2015 Kelly Ford rated it liked it
Not a book for Toddler Time. I think preschool/kindergarten age children might enjoy this book.
Jill
Sep 29, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it
Cute book about an ordinary dad who is extraordinary...because he spends lots of time with his son!
Nicole
May 10, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Short and sweet. It will make you smile!
Valeria Irais
Feb 19, 2016 Valeria Irais rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Se lo regalé a mi papá para el día del padre y me gusta que me lo lea y actúe para poder imitarlo
MTR
Jun 04, 2015 MTR rated it really liked it
Funny!
Carol
Mar 23, 2013 Carol rated it liked it
An adorable picture book where a young boy describes the many ways his father is not a superhero. "He cannot shoot webs out of his wrists...And I know he can't bend steel with his bare hands." The big question is whether or not the boy is okay with not having a superhero for a father. Brightly colored, full-page illustrations are reminiscent of a comic strip from the Sunday funnies. The large text and simple yet effective sentences make it a great read-aloud or a fun story for a beginning reader ...more
Abbie Riddle
Jun 09, 2011 Abbie Riddle rated it it was amazing
Absolutely Great! This is a must have for Father's Day! Instead of a card invest in this book....send a message to the Father in your life that quality time is more important than any other thing! The pictures are brilliantly colored, the verse is easy to read and simple. The over-arching theme: Even though Dad is not a super hero he is My hero because he spends time with me.

Thank you Sourcebooks for this review copy
Candice
Sep 17, 2011 Candice rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Although the dad in this book is not a super-hero, his son loves him because they spend time together. It is a cute story, but the dad is so inept. He trips over blocks, can't open a pickle jar that his wife opens easily, falls off a ladder. I like the concept, and the message at the end is priceless, but I wish the dad had been portrayed a bit better.
Michael Moriarty
Jun 04, 2012 Michael Moriarty rated it it was amazing
Audience: This book would be good for Pre-K through 1st Grade and for home reading by parents.

Appeal: Lots of colorful pictures that could be used as a picture walk by teachers and to show that a parent in a positive light. Why the Dad is a hero can be discussed as well as Mothers too.

Pre class book

Sandy Brehl
Page after page the text reports things dad cannot do that a superhero could, illustrated cleverly with daily events, but concludes that Dad is super, spending time with the boy, and he is his hero. Lovely sentiment without being overdone, plenty of humor and a nice punchline on the last page.
Melissa
Aug 29, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
This actually amused me a lot more than I thought it would, since my tolerance for I-Love-You books is kind of low. And I liked that it ended on the Hawaiian shirt joke instead of the Mush Factor. Maybe for K12 rather than preschool.
Betsy
Aug 03, 2012 Betsy rated it really liked it
I really like the pixilated retro feel of the illustrations in this. I also like the idea of this book a lot--there's a definite shortage of great picture books about dads. This one is cute and is a nice addition to the lineup.
The Library Lady
Jul 16, 2011 The Library Lady rated it it was ok
Artwork and theme are lifted straight from any Nickelodeon cartoon--"Jimmy Neutron" and "The Fairly Oddparents" come to mind:"Dad is a dweeb but he loves me and I love him".
Serena
Nov 09, 2011 Serena rated it it was amazing
A little boy realizes his father isn't the strongest or coolest dad out there but to him he is still an awesome dad. Warning: This will bring tears to your eyes.
Carol Harlow
Jun 02, 2011 Carol Harlow rated it it was amazing
This is a really fun book. We really enjoyed the artwork. This would be a great book for kids to give dad for Father’s Day!
Shelli
Jul 22, 2011 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A true superhero dad doesn't have super human strength, he has something much more, time to spend and hugs to share.
Robin
Jun 27, 2013 Robin rated it it was ok
Repeats "my dad is not" too many times, too few positives about dad. Fun comic book-inspired illustrations.
Stefani
Jun 02, 2011 Stefani rated it liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Awww. This book focuses mostly on what dads can't do, but the saccharine ending makes it all okay.
Kendra
Mar 11, 2012 Kendra rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great addition to the small, but growing collection of positive Dad books.
Colby Sharp
Dec 06, 2011 Colby Sharp rated it it was amazing
This book gets a bonus star, because I am so the dad in this book.
Dr. Jen Haden
Jul 13, 2011 Dr. Jen Haden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Although Dad is NOT a superhero, he's really super and our hero! :-)
Katie
May 26, 2011 Katie rated it liked it
Cute. And quite fitting for my household.
Megan
Mar 28, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
So good especially for good dads :)
Missy
May 06, 2012 Missy rated it really liked it
Shelves: little-guy-books
Cute. Humorous. My boys like it.
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Alayna
Alayna marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Joy Lane
Joy Lane rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Ethan Long is a popular, award-winning and internationally recognized children's book author and illustrator with over 70 children's books, a Theodor Seuss Geisel Award and an Emmy-nominated television series to his credit. Just about all of his awake time is spent writing stories, drawing pictures and spending time with his family. Since graduating from Ringling College of Art and Design in 1991, ...more
More about Ethan Long...