Start by marking “Doodleday” as Want to Read:
Doodleday

Doodleday

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Mom has just one thing to tell Harvey on Doodleday-no drawing allowed! But surely drawing one little fly can't hurt. Not until Harvey's fly comes to life and starts to wreck the kitchen, that is! What can Harvey draw that will catch it? A spider! But the spider proves to be even more trouble. Only one thing is capable of stopping Harvey's rampaging doodles... Mom!

Book Deta
Published March 1st 2011 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about Doodleday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doodleday

Brittany
Summary:
Doddleday is an imaginative story of a young boy who doesn't listen to his mother when she tell's him not to doodle on this day. She leaves to run some errands, while his dad is in his office working and the young boy grabs his pencils and pad and doodles away. He soon realizes that everything he draws come to life and cause havoc in his home and neighborhood. After the situation gets out of control, he screams for his mom and she quickly shows up to save the day. This story has a good
Destinee Sutton
A cross between the old lady who swallowed a fly and Jeremy Draws a Monster. Yes, I will explain that. On doodleday, your doodles come alive! So a drawing of a fly necessitates the drawing of a spider to eat the fly, which of course means you have to draw a bird to eat the spider, etc. My favorite was when the story jumped suddenly from cat to GIANT SQUID. And what's the only creature on Earth that can take down a giant squid? A mom. Duh.
Megan Renner
Collins, R. (2011). Doodleday. Chicago, Illinois: Albert Whitman & Company.

On Doodleday, The main character Harvey's mother told him he must not draw on Doodleday but did not tell him why. As soon as she left, he began to draw. He drew a fly. All of a sudden he went to the kitchen, and his drawing had came to life! So he began drawing different animals that he thought could eat the previous one but none of them did that. Eventually his mom comes to his rescue and draws a drawing of a mom t
Heidi
I found this book to be delightful tribute to the world of imagining. Harvey's mother warns him before she leaves for the store that he mustn't do any doodling while she is gone, because it is Doodleday. Harvey does not understand why this is the case so he picks up his colored pencils and starts doodling, first a fly that to his shock raids the refrigerator. Harvey quickly draws a spider to get rid of the fly, unfortunately the spider is more interested in his father. To get rid of the spider, ...more
Julia
This is another book that won the Washington State Children's Choice Picture Book Award. This story is about a young boy that wants to doodle but his mom says not to doodle on Doodleday and then leaves for some errands. He decides nothing bad could happen so he starts doodling a fly and it comes to life! So then he has to doodle more and more animals and insects to try to get rid of the one before and it ends up making a large mess. But then the mom comes home and doodles herself and Doodle Mom ...more
Caroline Downer
"Doodleday" is the opposite of what I was expecting! On the first page, the little boy Harvey's mother tells him that there is to be absolutely no drawing on Doodleday. From the title, I was expecting the book to be full of doodling on a day dedicated to doodling. It turns out that Harvey, instead of following his mother's instructions, doodles a fly on a pad of paper. This fly comes to life in giant bug form in his kitchen! Harvey creates a big spider to get rid of the fly, but the spider attac ...more
Meghan Hunt
Treasure
If you draw on Doodleday, your drawings will come to life! Little Harvey ignores his mother’s warning and soon finds himself in deep trouble once his giant fly comes to life. What follows is a progressive story as he draws a spider to take care of the fly, a bird to take care of the spider, etc., until finally the town is virtually destroyed and Mom must step in to save the day.
This picture book is full of bright, colorful, messy illustrations with fun details, ideal for both story time or a lap
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Harvey’s mother has a fit when, as she is leaving the house for the store, she finds her son drawing. She grabs the pencil from Harvey’s hand, warning him that no one may draw on Doodleday. Of course, Harvey ignores her admonitions and soon he is drawing a fly. And suddenly what does Harvey see flying around the kitchen? The fly that he just drew. Things quickly grow worse and worse and Harvey draws more and more things to try to stop his drawings. Finally Mom arrives back home to save the day.

Picture book, fantasy, 2011

What a great story! I think kids would love hearing this story for writing workshop as well.
Alexa Maring
I did not expect "Doodleday" to be a day where you could not draw. When reading this to students challenge students to imagine what would happen if their drawings came to life! Who would they ask to help them? Every child can relate to needing help after getting themselves into a sticky situation. As a read aloud, this book is bound to create giggles and ideas! I love the illustrations that contrast each other between ink and crayon. You see the "professional" print verses the crayon drawings th ...more
Shelli
I don't know what it is about Ross Collins simple but colorful picture books but I LOVE THEM! His stories are always silly fun read-a-loud's for all ages to enjoy. In this story Harvey decides that he wants to entertain himself by doodling while his mom getting ready to run some errands. His mother sees what he is about to do and quickly yanks the pencil from his hand and tell him "NO!" This is Doodle Day and everybody knows that you don't draw on Doodle Day! Well a story wouldn't be a story if ...more
Melissa
Enjoyable & good for storytime. It would be fun to read with There Was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly, and with Bad Day at Riverbend, an old one by Chris Van Allsburg (or Jumanji). I enjoyed that the crayon drawings came to life as is, rather than like they did in Chalk (a realistic version of the children's chalk drawings). I liked watching how the consequences continued to play out once the doodles were released (the spiderweb that appeared between the houses, the Dad hung from the street ...more
Heidi
I very much enjoyed this book. I couldn't imagine what Doodleday was, so it was fun to see what was happening. Very fun to see Harvey trying to fix it, and yet it just getting worse. My favorite part was watching the story progression in the illustrations--especially everything related to Dad. So many details that would be missed in a storytime setting. However, I think the book would work quite well in a preschool storytime. Also a school-age. And definitely a read-alone and lap-read. The solut ...more
Jenny Young
Age:
Grades K-3

Genre:
fiction

Diversity:
Imagination; monsters

Illustrations:
The illustrations are created with crayons, acrylics, and pen.

Personal response:
The book is very creative and bring a child's drawings to life, literally. It's cute with the "Doodleday" holiday and the adventures that happen. I enjoyed the text being all over the pages and non-linear. The book and story is fun and great for children.

Curricular or programming connections:
This book would be good for a social studies lesson on
Kevin
Another great book by Ross Collins!
Karen A.
I like the story arc and it has lots of potential, like maybe for a kids tv show. But for a book about doodling, an act that embodies naked creativity and spur of the moment random imagination, my main gripe is that the illustrations are very canned,(almost as if done by a computer program), even the doodles look suspiciously rendered by a well trained graphic artist. My second beef is that the text is layed out very awkwardly and well honestly, not that well written. The cover, however, should ...more
Arthur Pengerbil
Reading Level: Ages 3-8

Harvey’s mom tries to tell him about Doodleday, but he doesn’t listen. Soon, his drawings are coming to life, and mom’s nowhere to be found! Harvey draws more and more, trying to get rid of everything… but as you can imagine, things get out of hand pretty quickly.

For more book reviews from the HPPL Youth Department, click here.
paula
Doodleday is a natural story for an artist, especially a kid artist. In it, a kid named Harvey is planning a happy morning of drawing when his mom snatches away the pencil. "Are you mad? NOBODY draws on Doodleday!" Then she goes away, and Harvey is like, "WTF, PARENT" and fetches out another pencil.

Full review on Pink Me: http://pinkme.typepad.com/pink-me/201...
Colleen
Delightful story. Wonderful art. Mom asks Harvey not to draw because it's Doodleday. But Harvey decides that one little fly won't matter. That is, until his fly cause problems in the kitchen. Harvey then needs to draw more items to combat and get rid of the previous ones. Mom comes to the rescue at the end. Corresponds with the real Doodleday in May. Cause and effect?
Heather Willoughby
I think this book should have won the Caldecott Award. The book is great for kids. The illustrations are bright and fun. Kids can relate to this book. The use of bright colors adds to the excitement of the book. The drawings are simple enough not to take away from the book, but add to the doodle-like quality.
Marilyn
I like this plot (doodles come to life on doodle day--with the help of some faulty logic, a boy draws huge animals that are destroying the block). I hope he writes another one. There's a lot you can do when your drawings come to life.
babyhippoface
On Doodleday, everything you draw comes to life in gigantic form, apparently. Mom probably should've actually TOLD the boy this. Would've been helpful. This is cute, but not nearly as fun as Harold and the Purple Crayon.
Christine
I have to say that I had no idea what this book was about so the surprise was real for me. Doodleday!?! Who knew? Very clever and I loved how Mom comes to the rescue. When things go wrong for me I always call mom, too.
Nancy Jo Lambert
This is a fun book I plan on sharing with the art teacher at my school. I think she and I could come up with something really fun for this book! Kids will love the story and the illustrations. A great read aloud!
Courtney
Cute story about what would happen if drawings came to life! An excellent addition to a classroom or school library! Teachers could really spark story writing this story. I enjoyed the fun illustrations!
Miri
The plot is fun (a little boy makes the mistake of drawing on Doodleday, when all his drawings come to life and start terrorizing the neighborhood) but I didn't think it was anything particularly special.
Funny story about a little boy who draws when he shouldn't. Sure it is derivative, and we've all read a story with drawings coming to life, but it is FUNNY and somehow still fresh. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Kim Patton
Doodle day is a day when doodles come to life, Harvey learns the hard way. When he draws a fly, a spider, a bird and a giant squid that destroy the neighborhood, he must find a way to stop the destruction.
  • Earth to Clunk
  • Small Saul
  • Hogwash!
  • Mitchell's License
  • Andrew Drew and Drew
Ross was born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1972.
He would eat anything and resembled a currant bun.

As he grew up he was fond of drawing, the Bionic Man and precariously swinging backwards on chairs.

He graduated from the Glasgow School of Art in 1994 with a First in Illustration. In the same year he won the MacMillan Children's Book Prize an achievement that opened many doors in the Big Smoke.

Ross then s
More about Ross Collins...
Medusa Jones Dear Vampa Alvie Eats Soup Germs The Elephantom. Ross Collins