Start by marking “The Babies on the Bus” as Want to Read:
The Babies on the Bus

The Babies on the Bus

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  248 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
The babies on the bus sing

LA-LA-LA!

Jump on the bus with Karen Katz's adorable babies as they take a classic song for an all-new ride!

This irresistible picture book by the popular author of The Colors of Us, Counting Kisses, and Where Is Baby's Belly Button? will steal your heart.
Published July 19th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Babies on the Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Babies on the Bus

Robin
Jan 06, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
The babies on this bus sing la-la-la and bounce bumpity bump all through the town, instead of just crying. The traditional verses are interwoven with the babies' activities and end with the motor going zoom, zoom, zoom before the babies say bye-bye bus! Not all variations of Wheels on the Bus are quite so appealing -- this one will breathe new life into the song, which is always popular with children.Really bright bold colors make this a perfect choice for baby and toddler storytimes.
June
Aug 27, 2014 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: caregivers of young children, librarians, parents and teachers
A big hit for story time! Everyone helped out with the lyrics. Surprised it hasn't been done before since the song is so popular. Maybe a 3 & a half, 3 for me, 4 for the story time reception. 8/31/11

Well, I think I am going to have to round this up to 4, 3 for me and 5 for the story time reception. 8/29/12

A huge hit again. 8/28/13

Used in Lap Time, so glad I work in a library where the parents and caregivers participate.
Kate
Nov 02, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, children
the toddlers at story time want to read this book every week
we sing the song every week and now they know about this book and it will never end -- this song is forever in my brain
Janice
Sep 29, 2011 Janice rated it really liked it
not a board book yet I don't think the traditonal ryhme with few new twists (babies on the bus bounce bumpity bump...)
would be cute for toddler time
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 8/16/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Time on 8/19/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 8/23/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby Lap Time on 10/19 & 10/20/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 12/6/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Lap Time on 2/3/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read a
Robert Beveridge
Sep 04, 2014 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Karen Katz, The Babies on the Bus (Henry Holt, 2011)

Karen Katz lends her inimitable style to a rendition of “The Wheels on the Bus”, and the result is just as cute as you would expect. A few points off for not sticking to the original formula of the song, which never repeats any word in “the _____ on the bus”, but that's a minor thing; this is a good'un and will find its way into storytime again and again. ***
Kim
Jul 01, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
This adorable rendition of The Wheels on the Bus includes Karen Katz's traditional rainbow of sweet, chubby, round-eyed babies. Additional lines are added like,"The babies on the bus go la, la, la," and "The driver on the bus goes shhh, shhh, shhh," adding to the fun of the song. This book, with its bright colors and exciting actions, works very well in Toddler Storytime and Preschool Storytime.
Meg McGregor
Dec 09, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
I think this is my absolute favorite version of this classic nursery rhyme.

Ms. Katz delightful illustrations, along with original lyrics, make this book a treat any time of the day.

Be sure to act out the motions and sing the song for added fun.
Tiffany
Feb 04, 2016 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Great sing a long book for well-loved song The Wheels on the Bus. Good thing is if the song gets too long, you can just jump to the end. Cute twist on lyrics with focus on babies, like: the babies on the bus bounce Bumpity Bump...
Asho
My almost-one-year-old loved this book so much. Her three-year-old brother picked it out for her and was thrilled to sing along as I read it to her. She bounced up and down to the singing and attempted to turn the pages. Definitely a hit!
Apr 05, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-books
Again, a little twist on a classic song. The babies are on their way to the Children's Museum which in turn gives me the opportunity to talk about how the library has museum passes. Score!
Kristina Silverbears
Apr 24, 2015 Kristina Silverbears rated it liked it
Shelves: babies, sing-along
A good song book, but toward the end some of the actions are hard to sing and hard to act out. For example, "the babies on the bus fall fast asleep, fast asleep, fast asleep" et. Cetera.
Bethany Boutin
May 23, 2014 Bethany Boutin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wee-ones
Great fun to sing along with at a storytime! I sang/read this at a baby storytime, and all the parents loved bouncing babies along.
Lisa
Feb 10, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Who would let a baby drive the bus? Is that better or worse than a pigeon... It's kind of long. Good overall.
Kaydawestby
I think i should read to my baby because make she learn
Christine Grant
Jul 25, 2015 Christine Grant rated it it was amazing
Cute pictures, not too long, enjoyed by all.
Felicia Moore
Mar 03, 2016 Felicia Moore rated it really liked it
read it to baby girl she loves it :D
Kelly Ford
Mar 24, 2015 Kelly Ford rated it liked it
Cute book, I am using it for baby time
Joanna
This went over REALLY well. Babies and parents/nannies alike were getting really into it. Lots of fun, really cute illustrations to boot
Erin
Dec 11, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-teen
This is another version of The Wheels on the Bus. I am not a fan of the baby take on the song. The words are different than what we normally sing at storytime and this causes problems with the kiddos and their parents. However, this is a good one to send home with parents who are looking for books to read/sing to their children. Plus, it has a glitter cover. Who doesn't love the glitter cover?
Shelley
read for wonderful ones 1/23/2014
Westerville
Jan 06, 2012 Westerville rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, picture_book
Not all variations of Wheels on the Bus are quite so appealing -- this one will breathe new life into the song, which is always popular with children.Really bright bold colors make this a perfect choice for babies and toddlers. -Robin, Youth Services Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
jacky
Sep 22, 2011 jacky rated it liked it
A simple variation on The Wheels on the Bus. Most of the words are the same, but some parts are changed to be all about babies. This is fitting since Katz's illustrates babies. It was silly that the bus driver was a baby and that they were going to school. Maybe it was that I didn't see it clearly and they were playing bus at school?
Sunnyvale Librarian
Author/illustrator Katz delivers a romping rendition of "The Wheels on the Bus." Her trademark round-faced babies appear in this brightly illustrated spin on the familiar children's song. New verses are combined with the familiar to present a version that will be often requested.
Maria Burel
Mar 12, 2012 Maria Burel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Karen Katz has long been one of my favorite authors for the baby/toddler set. The illustrations are bright and cheerful. The text includes some of the well-known verses to “The Wheels on the Bus”, but also has some new and original verses mixed in. Fun for a read-aloud/sing-along!
Ann
Aug 30, 2011 Ann rated it liked it
Slight variation of the wheels on the bus. I love Karen Katz's books for babies and toddlers. This one has a busload of babies but no parents? Seems like a lot for one bus driver to deal with. The pictures are charming, however.
Kristy
Cute book if you are strictly looking to sing "the wheels on the bus" with kids. The words are mostly the same as the old song, so there isn't much originality. However, the book can be a fun to sing aloud.

Okay for storytime.
Aug 05, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: transportation
I don't usually review books that would be shared during a story time for infants, but this one was cute and would be nice to share one-on-one with a baby as well because of the bright, colorful illustrations.
Tricia
Sep 06, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it
Really liked this Katz title...which appealed highly to my 2 year old. I would recommend this for toddlers-2s storytime especially. Brightly illustrated with catchy lyrics that are interactive and fun.
Jan
Jun 27, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing
A cute, colorful variation on the old favorite song, "The Wheels on the Bus." Interspersed with the original verses, the author adds several fun new ones. Bright, bold colors in a fun book for ages 1-5.
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • Jazz Baby
  • Big Fat Hen
  • Dancing Feet!
  • The Baby Goes Beep
Karen Katz has written and illustrated many books for children, including The Colors of Us, Can You Say Peace, My First Ramadan, Counting Kisses and Where is Baby's Belly Button. Long inspired by folk art from around the world, she was inspired to write her first book, Over the Moon, when she and her husband adopted their daughter from Guatemala, and she wanted to tell the story of welcoming Lena ...more
More about Karen Katz...