Start by marking “Adventure According to Humphrey” as Want to Read:
Adventure According to Humphrey

Adventure According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #5)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  350 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The students in Room 26 are learning about boats and building their own for a race on Potter's Pond. Humphrey the hamster loves dreaming about being a pirate and watching his friends build ships. But when he mistakenly ends up at sea on the day of the boat race, he finds himself in the middle of more adventure than he bargained for! Humphrey is back in this charming story ...more
Published February 5th 2009 by Putnam Publishing Group (first published February 21st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Adventure According to Humphrey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventure According to Humphrey

Humphrey was the pet hamster in his class.His class was learning about boats and were going to have a field trip to a pond and see if there boats float. Kirk and Richie were paired together and they had hard time working together. They put Humphrey in great danger.Does Humphrey survive the adventure?
I like this book because its easy but i love how they get into Humphrey's mind and tell you what he is thinking.I would not just recommend this book to 1 person i would recommend this to people that
Dolly
Dec 11, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is another fun story in the Humprhey series by Betty G. Birney. I introduced my oldest to these books when I brought the first one home from England as a present. She has really taken to these books and I am so grateful, since she's read virtually nothing but fairy books for the last two years. We both read these books separately and then discuss the plots and themes. These books involve a class of third graders and the stories have a lot of moral lessons that are very age appropriate for c ...more
Beverly
As with the other books in the series, this was a delightful read. Read this series and you'll look at your hamster in a whole new light. Humphrey is a great character. He cares about his human classmates. He wants to help them through their troubles and trials. Kids will identify with his eagerness to have adventures, try new things and also with his fears. If you are looking for books to help with character education, this is a good series. Humphrey gets the messages across without being preac ...more
Irene
Sep 17, 2014 Irene rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary School Kids
Shelves: children
My 6-year-old boy for sure would give this book 5 stars, just like all the others!

Humphrey continues to be an entertaining character, and in this book, he certainly did get himself into some adventurous exploits. As usual, he's able to assist a few of his student friends and help them through their troubles.

For me, this installment fell short of a potential 4-star rating because I thought Humphrey acted out of character in a couple ways. First, even though Mrs. Brisbane actually explained why
charley
Good

Good

fabulous amazing awesome cool amazingly well amazing very very very very very very very very very very very good book
Elaine
I liked this one, but on goodreads, liking it is 3 stars, which I think in other rating systems, 3 stars is "ok". I didn't love this one, and it wasn't a "can't wait to find out what happens next" book, like some of the others were, but it was likable enough. This one has a pirate/sailing theme, kinda cute. The problems between people that were solved weren't that deep though. They were more subtle than the previous books, which might be a good lesson itself-that problems aren't always obvious o ...more
Bess Adams
I remember when I read the first Humphrey book in fourth grade! I read all of them at the library until this one! I had seen the picture in the back of the one right before this one, and I asked the librarian if they could please purchase one for me! I cried so hard on the way home from the library that my mom went and ordered the book from Amazon right when we got home, she felt so bad for me! But this series was one of my favorites that I read in my elementary school days!
Katie
A cute story about a classroom hampster. Not exciting but it may find a niche in the third-fourth grade easy reader section.

Megan
This book is from the Humphrey series. Humphrey is a classroom hamster in room 26. It is very funny, and told from Humphrey's point of view. It allows us to experience what life is like for a pet, and what goes on when we (the owners) are not around. It is a story that all grades would enjoy read-aloud! It could especially be used to acompany a unit on boats or pirates. It even has pirate information, phrases, and ways to make a boat at the end of the book.
Miriam
Love reading these books to my boys! Cute stories with a lesson.
Heather
Humphrey is a very funny hamster who lives in a school classroom and can't wait for adventures. He visits the homes of various students in his class, and even explores the school (Humphrey can open the lid of his home).

The kids were likable and realistic. This felt a bit more relevant than the "Mouse and the Motorcycle" even though I love that book too.

I listened to this on my phone, borrowed from Overdrive.
Nick
three words: shimber me timbers !!!!
Juliette
Continuing the series with my son who is now 7.
He loved it. And really that's who matters, he's the audience. If you're a fan of Humphrey, this is a fun addition. I did not enjoy it as well as the first four. This one just didn't have as many life lessons as they did. If you're starting with this one, you really must read at least #1 before you can judge the series.
Mary
A cute book for 3rd or 4th graders. Humphrey is the class hamster who is an expert on human relations, and is able to read, write and get out of his cage at will. In this episode the class is build boats to take to a pond and sail. Humphrey wants to go, but the teacher says that hamster can die from getting wet and cold.
Gabriel
The setting is a school. The main character is Humphrey. Humphrey is a hamster. He kept sneaking to the library. He wanted to go on a boat race. The boat he was on sunk. He made it to the shore safely. Mr. Fitch, the librarian, gave Humphrey a library card.
The Humphrey series could have been really cute and wonderful, but I felt Humphrey's voice was generic and a bit flat. Would be interesting to see how I'd feel if I read it as a school kid, but as it stands, I'm not going to pick up another of the series.
Haghvray0
I think this is an "okay" book. I just wish Mrs. Brisbane would stop blaming her students for everything. Though, nobody would never know Humphrey was the one who wanted to go sailing on Potter's pond. I hope Humphrey dosen't do that again.
Julie
For all of you who love Ralph. S. Mouse and other adorable furry, people-loving creatures, Humphrey is your guy. Not necessary to read these in order, but my guess is that kids that love one will want to read them all.
Hiba
I thought book had a very nice ending, all though there was not that much adventure in it. The book had an interesting ending, but not man ytwists. I still enjoyed a book from an animals perspective.
Tina
Another fun adventure with Humphrey. This book gave me the idea to try reading Treasure Island with the kids. The kids were happy to hear another Humphrey book is in the works.
Angie
Humphrey really is fun. I need to get the rest of them for our collection. I like the quotes at the end of the chapters and the Top Ten lists at the end of the book.
Heather
The latest Humphrey book. The kids and I are reading it at night.

Finally finished after shelving it for awhile. We really enjoyed this one!
Angela
I love Humphrey! He makes me want a hamster! Such a cute series and it occurs to me that it would be a great classroom read aloud. Fun and cute!
Launna
Fun to listen to on cd. Fun story, and a good message to boot. We're looking forward to reading or listening to others in the series.
Shawna
My girls love these books. I keep trying to call our own hamster Humphrey instead of Honey while reading these books.
Bridget
Cute story. I can see why the series is popular with our second and third graders. Might have to try out some more.
Elodie
Dec 05, 2011 Elodie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my friends and my relatives.
Recommended to Elodie by: no one.
Shelves: favourites
I liked the story. Mostly at the part when Humphrey went into the boat (if you read the book before!)
Summer Batte
This serious is great for lower elementary school. Age appropriate, suspenseful, fun stories.
Bubba
Five million thousand trillion stars. I liked when he got on a boat and his adventure on the lake.
Sheena
But hey it's not written for adults hope I can seel it to the school children
  • When Fairies Go Bad (Dragonbreath, #7)
  • The Case of the Lost Boy (The Buddy Files, #1)
  • Guinea Dog (Guinea Dog, #1)
  • Holy Enchilada! (Hank Zipzer, #6)
  • Pugsley (The Puppy Place, #9)
  • The Secret Zoo: Secrets and Shadows (The Secret Zoo, #2)
  • The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppett: An Origami Yoda Book (Origami Yoda #4)
  • Screaming Mummies of the Pharaoh's Tomb II (Tales from the House of Bunnicula, #4)
  • February Friend (Calendar Mysteries, #2)
  • Soccer on Sunday (Magic Tree House, #52)
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
  • The Ogre of Oglefort
  • Mousenet
119740

From kindergarten through graduation, I attended school in Affton, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis. Then I graduated from Webster College (now Webster University) in Webster Groves, Missouri. Of course, I majored in English and kept on writing.

After working in advertising in St. Louis, Missouri and in Chicago, Illinois, I eventually moved to Southern California. First, I worked for Disneyland (fun
More about Betty G. Birney...
The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1) The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs Friendship According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #2) Surprises According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #4) Trouble According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #3)