Start by marking “Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3)

Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy #3)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  16,589 Ratings  ·  225 Reviews
Used Book in good condition. May have some markings and writings. Note: The above used product classification has been solely undertaken by the seller. Amazon shall neither be liable nor responsible for any used product classification undertaken by the seller. A-to-Z Guarantee not applicable on used products.
Paperback, Second Edition, 176 pages
Published February 3rd 2004 by Dark Horse (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy, Vol. 3

Alejandro
The heat is on!!!

This third TPB edition features “Hellboy” #5-6, 12-14, along with a pin-up gallery.

The general rating is an average result of individual ratings given to each short story contained here.

Creative Team:

Creator, Writer & Illustrator: Mike Mignola

FINALLY THIS THING HEATED

I have to admit that I wasn’t that impressed on the first two TPBs, Seed of Destruction & Wake the Devil. They were well done, but they lacked of character development and since it was the beginning of t
Patrick
Dec 28, 2013 Patrick rated it it was amazing
This is the book that forever sold me on how cool Hellboy is. I never looked back.
Stephen
Feb 23, 2016 Stephen rated it it was ok
description

I really liked the two volumes of Hellboy, but this one was just a disappointment i expected a large story like the previous two but instead it were just a bunch of short stories and just towards the end the story picks up where it ended.

First Hellboy needs to get a baby back from the fairy folk and to do he needs to bury a dead body before daybreak. However there is one problem none of the graveyards want the dead body.

In the second story he has to deal with a fairy with iron shoes, the legenda
First Second Books
Read this weekend most of HELLBOY: THE CHAINED COFFIN AND OTHERS, and adored it. It's embarrassing how late I am to loving Hellboy.
Sesana
Sep 23, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it
I think this may be the volume that's gotten me hooked to Hellboy. I love the way Mignola uses folklore as a starting point to his stories. (And I loved the notes he added to this collection.) Most of the stories here are very short, but none of them felt too short, or stretched out, for that matter. The Corpse in particular was nearly perfect in every way. The character of Hellboy makes for a great lead in these sorts of stories: professional and personable. My one criticism is how Mignola hand ...more
Melissa McShane
Re-read 8/1/15: I'm increasing my rating of the collection because I appreciate the thematic unity better than I did before. Each of these stories is based in folklore to some degree, underlining the series' commitment to myth and legend as opposed to the companion series B.P.R.D., which emphasizes the paranormal investigator aspect. I still love "The Wolves of August," but this time I was also drawn to "A Christmas Underground," which is a very creepy variation on The Twelve Dancing Princesses. ...more
Andrew
Nov 06, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing
A collection of Hellboy shorts from 1994-1996, and maybe the best single volume of Hellboy. "The Corpse" is a darkly comic story involving fairies, a kidnapped child, and a talking, rotting corpse. Hellboy spends much of the story with the corpse strapped to his back, bickering with it while he deadpans his way through encounters with just about every creature in Irish mythology. Several of the other stories are key to Hellboy's own mythology, as they reveal the details of his conception and exp ...more
Artemy Nizovtsev
While Hellboy has a great big plot that runs through all of the 12 main volumes, several of those volumes, indicated by "and other stories" in the title, collect short stand-alone comics that Mike Mignola has written for many different kinds of magazines, anthologies and comic books over the years. This is the first such volume. And it's a brilliant one! It collects some of the best Hellboy stories, such as The Corpse, Iron Shoes, The Baba Yaga, The Chained Coffin, Almost Colossus — all of them ...more
Icats
Apr 29, 2009 Icats rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I have read Hellboy 1, then 4, then 2, and just finished 3, because why would you want to do that chronological thing? Hellboy 3 is like Hellboy 4: (or should that be the other way around?), where at the beginning of each section there are notes from author/illustrator, Mike Mignola, on his inspirations for the stories. I enjoyed the notes as much as I did the stories because they go into the mythology and folklore he used as the basis for the them.

The stories in this volume include The Corpse,
Catherine
Sep 03, 2010 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
The short story format works perfectly for Hellboy. Not only does it allow Mignola to explore a larger amount of folklore but it suits the investigative world of the characters perfectly. I was about to name the highlights of the collection but then I realized I'd only be leaving 2 of them out in the process. Each one is fantastic but my favorites were "The Corpse", "A Christmas Underground", "The Wolves of St. August" and "Almost Colossus". "The Corpse" more than any had a very memorable feel t ...more
Arya Stark
Feb 19, 2017 Arya Stark rated it it was ok
Not Hellboy to me, no Nazi's no memorable villains just random monsters. This is a collection of small stories and comes across as filler.

No way an essential read to the series I would advise to skip it and save your time and money.
PurplyCookie
This is the third and certainly the thickest "Hellboy" collection which apparently seeks to compile all material not included in "Seed of Destruction" or "Wake the Devil". I personally think it's a great start for somebody like myself who hasn't read "Hellboy" before.

Mike Mignola's story notes accompany the long out-of-print one-shots "Wolves of Saint August" and "The Corpse and the Iron Shoes," as well as "A Christmas Underground."

"The Chained Coffin," is featured in color for the first time,
logankstewart
Aug 02, 2010 logankstewart rated it really liked it
The Chained Coffin and Others is different from the previous two volumes in the Hellboy saga. Volume 3 is a collections of small vignettes that re-tells folktales Mike Mignola has come across. One such example is "The Chained Coffin," which stems from an Irish folktale the author once read.

Like the first two collections, this volume is beautifully illustrated and wonderfully scripted. The colors are still rich and dark, capturing the essence of the gothic-horror feel. The characters are getting
Lauren
Apr 22, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite-comics, old
This volume collects a number of shorter Hellboy stories. The short story format works well for Hellboy, I think, but I still prefer the longer miniseries. Very few comics could hold my interest over only a few pages the way Hellboy does, but the stories themselves are hit-and-miss.

The first story here, The Corpse, is a masterpiece. Craig Russell, who writes the introduction, calls it Mignola's best, and while I disagree, it's certainly in the running. The Iron Shoes, which follows it, is mostly
Helmut
Apr 10, 2013 Helmut rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Von Leichen, Hexen und Wölfen
Hellboy ist ein beschäftigter Mann. Als wichtigster Agent des BPRD wird er immer wieder zu kleineren Scharmützeln gerufen, oder zu den Aufgaben, die außer ihm keiner erledigen kann. Dafür zu sorgen, dass ein Wechselbalg wieder rückgetauscht wird, dass ein verspukter Ort endlich wieder betreten werden kann oder eine Familie nach monströser Entführung wieder zusammengeführt wird - Hellboy ist auch für die sentimentalen Momente zu haben.

Viel Folklore, viel Schwarz, vie
Eden
This volume has more than one story in it. One story hints (pretty big hints, if you ask me) at Hellboy's origin. What's really quite cool about the stories is that Mike Mignola has gotten inspiration from folktales and each of the stories are loosely based on some of the tales he has read.

Again with this volume like the first two, I see some things that were used in the movies. For example, the first story has the corpse that Hellboy carries on his back.

I enjoyed this as much as Seed of Destr
ada
Sep 04, 2015 ada rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
the Hellboy books have such a unique feeling and i think the chained coffin really expresses it. the corpse especially is one of my favourite Hellboy stories because it really captures the feel of the Hellboy universe. the way Mignola draws, the colours and the dialogue create this perfectly eerie atmosphere that i love, i could read this book hundreds of times and get the same spooky feeling.

almost colossus has this huge, grand feeling that balances with very real emotions, which is another th
Gavin
Mar 23, 2014 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I really enjoyed this 3rd volume of Hellboy. Instead of a book long story, it's a collection of shorter stories, inspired by fables/legends/folk tales. Hellboy comes across as caring a lot about the welfare of others, and willing to do anything to save humanity from evil/darkness. There's also a good story picking up from what happened in Vol. 2, which is nice, as we were left somewhat hanging.
All around, the art is great, the tone is great, and there still manages to be just enough lightness/hu
David Leslie
Feb 07, 2016 David Leslie rated it it was amazing
A collection of Hellboy short stories with 'The Corpse','A Christmas Underground' & 'Almost Colosus'being my personal highlights.The Hellboy series in its entirety is comic perfection and these shorts show why.As always Mike Mignolas art is the best comics has to offer IMO.sidenote-go for the library editions,it's well worth the extra tenner/15dollars(pick a currency )for the oversized art and excellent binding quality,plus you also get the next T.P.B included 'The red Hand of Doom' but if y ...more
Amy
Jun 22, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books, fantasy
The guy who did the introduction claims that The Corpse is the best Hellboy story of all time, but it's not even the best story in this volume. There's seven short stories in here, although using "story" to describe some of them is being generous, Mignola admits himself that at least one is simply filler. My favourite was Almost Colossus which ties up a lose end from Wake the Devil, and seems to introduce a new recurring character. Overall, this is the first Hellboy volume that's made me genuine ...more
Travis
Sep 27, 2009 Travis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Nice collection of Hellboy short stories.
I think I enjoy these to the bigger stories.

More of a sense of fun and adventure. Mignola seems to think a big story must be treated very seriously.
I prefer just seeing Hellboy beat up a monster or solve a mystery than ponder his place in the world and get all angsty about the dark forces and all of Hellboys inner turmoil.

Jared Gillins
Apr 10, 2013 Jared Gillins rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fantasy
These trade collections keep getting better and better. This one was a collection of shorter stories, and I really enjoyed each one. Mignola found a rich well of storytelling material and I love seeing him develop it and explore the creative potential of Hellboy and his universe. Can't wait to read the next one.
Orrin Grey
Jun 08, 2010 Orrin Grey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, re-read, mignola
In a lot of ways the Hellboy series is at its best in the shorter, stand-alone stories, and many of the best of those are contained here. "The Corpse," "A Christmas Underground," "The Wolves of Saint August," and "Almost Colossus" are all among my favorites.
Timothy Boyd
Dec 31, 2015 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it
If you thought the Hellboy movies were good then you will love the comics. Much more story on the monsters and the history of hellboys origin. Great reads, Very recommended
Canavan
✭✭✭
Scott Firestone
Apr 07, 2015 Scott Firestone rated it it was amazing
This is it. This is the volume where everything comes together. The art. The stories. The characters. The mythology. It's all excellent.
Joshua Palmatier
May 15, 2015 Joshua Palmatier rated it liked it
The Corpse: Ok, this tale was kind of basic, playing off of some rather well-known stories of the fae, like stealing a baby, replacing it with a changling, the use of iron to expose them, etc. Then there’s Jenny as a character, another common folkish creature from that area. So in terms of the players and plot, it was kind of plain. Granted, it’s a short story, so it needs to be plain. I hadn’t heard of the pig creature, and if there’s some kind of folklore behind all of the places that he visit ...more
Robert Hudder
May 13, 2017 Robert Hudder rated it liked it
Short story collection. Really enjoyed the wolves of st August. Once you get into the swing of these stories, it is really hard to keep them fresh. Somehow, you can see a swing towards making these more about the mystery of the horror or the exploration of the particular myths.

That is not a bad thing. Many myths are a way of showing morality. It is a good device. Especially when a red guy who may be the destroyer of humankind being the one helping out all these people.
Đenis
May 28, 2017 Đenis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrow-ed, cmx
Toto ma vôbec nebavilo. Síce tam je jedna pokračovnie príbehovej línie z 2, ale inak sú to iba jednotlivé epizódy a mini-epizódy, vychádzjúce z nejakých povestí alebo tradícií a integrované do sveta Hellboy.
Alex Neilson
Feb 26, 2017 Alex Neilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
An excellent collection of short-ish stories
  • Hellboy: Odder Jobs
  • The Goon, Volume 1: Nothin' but Misery
  • Hellblazer: All His Engines
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 3: The Curse
  • Conan, Vol. 3: The Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories
  • Hellboy: The Companion
  • Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3)
  • Hellboy: Emerald Hell
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 10: One More Time (Transmetropolitan, #10)
  • Hellboy: On Earth as it is in Hell
  • Hellboy: The God Machine
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

Hellboy (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 6: Strange Places (Hellboy, #6)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 7: The Troll Witch and Others (Hellboy, #7)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 8: Darkness Calls (Hellboy, #8)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 9: The Wild Hunt (Hellboy, #9)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 10: The Crooked Man and Others (Hellboy, #10)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 11: The Bride of Hell and Others (Hellboy, #11)

“Volviste la espalda a la luz del día para caminar por la sombra conmigo” 1 likes
“Me percaté demasiado tarde de algo que ella ignoraba: aquel poder era una parte viva de su ser... pero me encontraba frío y desolado y ella era para mí como la gloria del sol... me lo bebí todo... sin dejarle nada” 0 likes