Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1)

Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  28,031 ratings  ·  340 reviews
Dark Horse presents new editions of the entire Hellboy line with new covers, beginning with Seed of Destruction, the basis of director Guillermo del Toro's blockbuster films. Hellboy is one of the most celebrated comics series in recent years. The ultimate artists' artist and a great storyteller whose work is in turns haunting, hilarious, and spellbinding. Mike Mignola has...more
Published March 30th 2004 by Dark Horse (first published 1994)

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
28th out of 1,654 books — 3,962 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
28th out of 730 books — 1,154 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
I love this series. I have for years.

That said, I haven't been a faithful follower of the books. I don't read comics in single issues. I read comics once they're collected in trade paperback, and even then, my purchases are erratic.

But earlier this year I went on a Hellboy binge. I bought everything that I didn't already own, and read it all in just a week or two. Both the main storyline, all the side arcs, and the BPRD series too. About 30 books in all.

How do I feel about it after glutting m...more
Sesana
The first book of Hellboy can best be described as The X-Files in Arkham. Totally relevant to my interests. For the most part, it delivers. The villain is a little monologue-y, but that seems to be in character for him. I liked Hellboy's narration, and the art is striking. Aside from the main storyline, there are also a couple of short, action-packed comics there are pretty fun to read.
Keely
After the movies, I didn't expect much from the comic. They were fun, but a bit cheesy. The film's director, Guillermo Del Toro tends to make films that are all flash and no substance, like Blade II and Pan's Labyrinth. I assumed that the Hellboy movies were just executed better, but I now realize that the movies fell far short of the source material.

The comics are moody, charming, and uniquely stylized. The dramatic inking and chiaroscuro lighting combines with the simple, evocative lines to cr...more
Sam Quixote
It's been a number of years since I first read Seed of Destruction, the first Hellboy book, and, having read all of them at this point, I decided to go back and re-read the first book because my memories of it were hazy. Well, as I suspected, it's not a great first volume - but Hellboy is an incredible series, so don't be put off by this shaky start. The later books get better and better and better. But this first one...

I had completely forgotten that Mike Mignola didn't write the first Hellboy...more
Orrin Grey
I recently undertook a plan to re-read every single trade in the Hellboy/B.P.R.D. gestalt, in most cases for about the jillionth time.

I started, of course, where it all started, with Seed of Destruction. I was surprised not to like it more than I did. I have fond memories of Seed of Destruction, and own it more times over than any other book. I love the skeleton of the storyline and many of the scenes and images and so forth, and man do I ever love the frog monsters and Sadu-Hem and the old dark...more
Brad
Apr 14, 2010 Brad rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: comic book fans
I am a man who loves good comic books, and Mike Mignola's Hellboy is exactly that. Good.

It's a solid comic yarn with a charmingly antithetical leading man, fitting pencils, beautiful colour and noirish scripting (helped on by John Byrne in this early volume).

Mike Mignola loves a great action sequence, and Hellboy's big ol' "Right Hand of Doom" and terrible aim with "The Good Samaritan" -- the oversized revolver the eponymous leading man received as a gift from the Torch of Liberty -- ensure tha...more
Malbadeen
My "review":
3 stars here means: It's fine, whatever. I still don't get it.

A bunch of semi-related rambaling:
I went to hear Mike Mignola speak a few weeks ago in the hopes that he was going to clear up my question about cliche' vs. archetype. Instead it confirmed a lot of cliche's about comic book readers and left me more frustrated than before.

Also, did you all already know that when a comic artist (or at least this one) shows up for a signing, that that's all he does? He just signs stuff. No t...more
Nicole Bunge
Dec 02, 2008 Nicole Bunge rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nicole by: Nick Zinn
Finally getting around to reading these. (Thank you Nick, for lending them.)
I didn't expect such a wide deviation from the movie, but, meh... the main elements are there.
I do like that it's narrated by Hellboy himself. And like all good graphic novels, you have to sit and stare at the art long after you've finished reading the page. (and better yet, flip back to see what was in the shadows 2 pages ago, now that you know...)
That being said, it introduces the whole gang, sets them against Rasputin...more
Stephen Theaker
When looking at a collaboration between two creators whose work you know individually, it's easy to jump to the wrong conclusions about who contributed what. That happened with AI, for example, where a lot of people said they hated the Spielberg bits and loved the Kubrick bits, without really knowing which was which.

I don't want to make that mistake reviewing this Hellboy book. Certainly, it seems much more like a traditional super-hero comic than later volumes, especially in the first half of t...more
Mark
I'm a big fan of Hellboy, but I'm going to try to be objective here. This is the first Hellboy story, it's essential reading. That said, it is not indicative of the stories that follow. The art by Mignola is brilliant, but he hasn't yet found Dave Stewart, the colourist that will later colour all his works and go on to win seven Eisners from 2003 to 2011. So the colours are functional, but not great. The story, again, is functional, but not great.

It's the script that really lets this book down....more
Icats
When my husband asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I told him The Sandman Volume 10: The Wake, the last chapter in the incredible Sandman series. So imagine my surprise when I opened up my present on Christmas Eve to reveal Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction. Oh well, at least he made it to the right section in the bookstore.

I have seen the first Hellboy movie and the second one is on my “to-see” list. I just assumed that this book would be a rehash of the first movie but again to my surp...more
Alaina
With Hellboy being such a well-known, well-liked graphic novel, it's hard to say much that people don't know about Hellboy. My favorite part of the story was the artwork. The bold, dramatic colors were perfect for the story and characters. Mike Mignola's art takes advantage of contrast and color and does it well, which makes the sometimes muddled story more linear.

The plot was a great intro in the characters, but Mignola admitted he wasn't too concerned with the plotting, and I think the shows...more
Lobeck
I really wanted to like this book, but I ran into a few problems. The narrative and dialog are poorly written. The story is not well-told - and by that I mean confusing and difficult to follow - and is seemingly sacrificed for action sequences, which unfortunately can also be difficult to follow due to some confusing visual story. The art is gorgeous; Mignola utilizes rich, deep colors that sometimes give his art the appearance of an oil painting. His more abstract work is, in particular, quite...more
logankstewart
Back during WWII, the Nazis were experimenting with all sorts of things. One aspect of research dealt with the paranormal. Finally, after years of preparation, a Nazi wizard/researcher/delusional-psycho summoned up a creature from the Deep, a tiny red-skinned, hornless man that would be named Hellboy. Only he showed up on the Allies side...

So begins Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction, and this intro is covered in a few pages up front. The remainder of the novel fast-forwards several years. He...more
Ginny
I’m writing this review after reading through to the third volume, and if were to rate them all I’d give them 5 stars. Generally, so much about this series is mindblowingly different from other books and comics I’ve read so far. The only reason I didn’t rate volume 1 a 5 was because in retrospect I didn’t like it as much as the other two. Also, I think it’s an intro that upon a second or third read I’ll discover its true genius. Although I enjoyed the first Hellboy film, the comic is so much mor...more
Peter
Jan 30, 2013 Peter rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This is the first trade in the hellboy series by Mike Mignola. In the first story in this collection we learn about the origin of Hellboy. We see how he came to earth during WWII. It involves a big conspiracy and the later comics in this book deal with the fallout of that conspiracy in the present day. We also get introduced to some other members of the paranormal investigation agency BPRD namely Abe Sapien and Liz Sherman.

I have read this book before, right after the hellboy movie came out. And...more
Kristopher Kelly
Re-read this introductory Hellboy collection this weekend, because I missed the big red ape. I can't say enough about Mignola's skill when it comes to art and drawing some memorably stylish panels.

There's also the nice blend of monsters, Nazis, and folklore that is such a signature of his work, and it mostly works. But my problem with Hellboy in general is also my problem with this book: too much monologuing on Rasputin's part, and while the story starts with great characters and good atmospher...more
Portia S
Me telling Makesi:

"Hellboy is pretty cool
I like the pace and it's like really, okay it's really interesting that we meet Hellboy and he's like not obsessed about being different looking or that jhe's supposed to be a demon
he's just cool and acts like a regualr joe
so regualr, i was taken aback by it,
I was like, no way, hahahahahah!

He has a real sweet heart too
But he admits, when he's angry, he goes a bit overboard with his right hand
He basically knows nothing about himself
but he's logging around...more
Gavin
Though credited to Mike Mignola, this is drawn by him and scripted by John Byrne. Byrne isn't quite suited to this, as there's some stiff dialogue, and an overuse of internal monologue boxes. That being said, the first introduction to the characters is fantastic, the elements of Paranormal mixing with Horror and Action is tremendous. It may help my review that I finished reading a few 'mainstream' Marvel/DC books before this and was kind of getting bored; this was a breath of fresh air.
I will de...more
Amy
I've been putting off reading this for many months now, it was even a group read in October and I didn't pick it up, now much to my regret. I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed this because I remember watching the movie a few years ago and not really enjoying it which is really a terrible reason to not pick up a book because most of the time the source material is way better than any adaptions. This was no exception.

There's just enough mystery to keep me interested and wondering whats...more
Chris
Most people will be familiar with the character of 'Hellboy' because of the two movies made a few years ago starring Ron Pearlman. For those not familiar with this character he is a demon summoned to earth by a necromancer working for the Nazis. Hellboy is rescued by a squad of American soldiers and raised to be a force for good, not evil. When he reaches 'adulthood' Hellboy becomes a paranormal investigator for the US Government agency 'Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defence Organisation' th...more
Celine
3.5 Stars

Summary: During the Second World War a Nazi project involves some kind of dark magic. At the same time of the ritual, Hellboy is summoned. Now, years later, Hellboy helps a bureau of paranormal investigators.

What I liked:
- The art is beautiful in Seed of Destruction. It feels as if the artist draws in surfaces, instead of lines (if that makes any sense). The drawings are clean and shadow-heavy, and seem so modern to me even though this graphic novel celebrates its 20th anniversary this...more
Daniel
The first Hellboy trade has a neat story involving some historical figures, some myth, and a dose of H.P. Lovecraft. Nice. The script that Byrne provided does the job, while Mignola's art is, of course, mesmerizing. The "talky" parts run a bit long, though, especially in comparison with the distilled writing that Mignola brought to later Hellboy stories. For that reason, I prefer other volumes over the first - especially the 3rd and 4th, which collect Mignola's short stories.
Lori
Enter Hellboy, stage left. The first in the long-running series, Hellboy: Seeds of Destruction introduces Big Red and his pals Liz and Abe, as well as his Father. This story focuses on who brought Hellboy to Earth and hints as to the whys surrounding his mysterious advent. In addition, the book focuses on a particular art style and color palette to enhance the overall ambiance of the piece. Note: The film based on this book varies quite dramatically in places.
Melissa Proffitt
One of my favorites. The paranormal-detective thing is commoner now than it was in the early '90s when this first came out, but Hellboy is still fairly unique in that genre. The story--the whole series--has a primal feel to it that's part story and part Mignola's distinctive, blocky artwork.
Travis
The very first Hellboy story is a big creepy horror/pulp adventure. Big action mixes with gothic atmosphere as the big red guy tries to solve a mystery, fight a lot of monsters and possibly save the world.

Elements of this story were used to make the first Hellboy movie.
Jared Gillins
Apr 10, 2013 Jared Gillins rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jared by: Matt
This was fun and dark and well crafted and wonderfully drawn and punchily written. Not sure why some reviewers seem to think it's just the same old story as the first movie. It's not. It's much, much better (and I enjoyed the movie).

Looking forward to the next one.
Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden
I've read the Hellboy and BPRD comics here and there but never in order, so I'm planning to read through all the Graphic Novels, eventually.
Ctgt
This is a re-read for me. I loved this back in the day and it hasn't lost any of it's appeal. Great story and fantastic art.
Erin
I've only been into comics for two and a half years, but in that time I've read just about anything I could get my hands on. However, I somehow missed Hellboy until Patrick Rothfuss, one of my favorite authors, recommended it.

The tone reminded me a little of Locke and Key or Fatale, but the story was all unique. Usually, when a demon appears, it doesn't join the people it finds, but Hellboy does, and that unexpected twist is what this whole story is based on.

Hellboy features super creepy villain...more
She-Geeks: October Read: Hellboy Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction 2 13 Oct 14, 2013 09:14PM
  • Hellboy: House of The Living Dead
  • My Murderous Childhood (and Other Grievous Yarns) (The Goon TPB #2)
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 1: Saga of the Swamp Thing
  • Hellblazer: Original Sins
  • Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits
  • Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories
  • Conan, Vol. 1: The Frost Giant's Daughter and Other Stories
  • Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted
  • Hellboy: Odder Jobs
  • Wormwood, Gentleman Corpse, Vol. 1: Birds, Bees, Blood, and Beer
  • Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl?
  • Hellboy: Unnatural Selection
  • Sin City, Vol. 3: The Big Fat Kill (Sin City, #3)
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 1: Crawling from the Wreckage
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo...more
More about Mike Mignola...
Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3) Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2) Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4) Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5) Hellboy, Vol. 6: Strange Places (Hellboy, #6)