Start by marking “Tonight I Said Goodbye (Lincoln Perry, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tonight I Said Goodbye (Lincoln Perry, #1)

Tonight I Said Goodbye (Lincoln Perry #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  2,585 Ratings  ·  256 Reviews
Investigator Wayne Weston is found dead of an apparent suicide in his upscale Cleveland suburban home. His wife and six-year-old daughter are now missing. The police think the former Marine murdered them. Hoping to exonerate his son, Weston's father hires PI's Lincoln Perry and Joe Pritchard.

Perry and Pritchard soon discover there is much more lying beneath the surface, i
Paperback, 1st Edition, 290 pages
Published July 2009 by Allen & Unwin (first published September 9th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tonight I Said Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tonight I Said Goodbye

Thomas
Aug 07, 2016 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Shelves: us-private-eye
I enjoyed reading this library book. The author wrote it when he was only 20 years old. It won the PWA(Private Eye Writers) award for a debut novel. The book opens with Lincoln Perry, 1/2 of a private investigation company having a conversation with John Weston. John wants to hire them to find out what happened to his son, Wayne, dead from an apparent suicide. He was found dead in a wealthy Cleveland, Ohio suburb. His daughter in law and granddaughter have disappeared. He wants answers and gives ...more
Susan
May 30, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This who done it was paced very well which helped me to get to know the main characters personalities as the mystery unfolded. What started out as one investigation ended up turning into many different ones that kept our investigators twisting and turning.

There was a little bit of everything: the mob, police corruption, murder, a damsel in distress and a child that pulls on the heart strings. Perry and Pritchard, the main detectives make a good pairing and the narration was done just right for
Dagny
Jun 30, 2016 Dagny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Enjoyed this suspenseful novel immensely and may have discovered a 'new' author to read. The narrator Scott Brick was perfect.
LJ
TONIGHT I SAID GOODBYE (Private Investigators-US-Cont) – Ex
Koryta, Michael – 1st in series
Thomas Dunne Books, 2004 – Hardcover
Private investigators Lincoln Perry and Joe Pritchard have been hired by John Weston to provide that his son, also a private investigator, did not commit suicide and to locate his missing daughter-in-law and granddaughter. With the help of journalist Amy Ambrose, the case involves them with one of the city's wealthiest citizens, the FBI and the Russian mafia.
*** Michael K
Dee
Two-haiku review:

Private detectives
Man dead, wife, daughter missing
Russian mob involved

Exciting thriller
Good characters, twist at end
Liked it quite a bit
Gatorman
Jul 24, 2012 Gatorman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable crime thriller from Koryta, this one the first in the Lincoln Perry series. Well-written with interesting characters, including the two lead PI's, and funny when it needs to be. The story moves along at a brisk pace and, while the relevations aren't exactly shocking, they are satisfying and fit within the story. If you like crime noir, you will likely enjoy this book. Highly recommended.
Pamela
Sep 24, 2014 Pamela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately even Scott Brick's excellent narration could not salvage this badly plotted mess. There were so many holes in the plot I gave up trying to solve the mystery and basically spent the second half of the book trying to guess what stupid thing the protagonist would do next.

There's a good long list of bad choices and even worse plotting. Here are a few: (view spoiler)
Atilio Frasson
Tiene de todo: un detective cínico y su compañero, humor negro, chicos malos (la mafia rusa), hombres poderosos y malos, agentes de policía de dudosa credibilidad, una mujer bonita en problemas y peligrosa, una periodista (también bonita) y leal a sus amigos, un romance y un misterio que va encerrando varios misterios más.

A parte, ¿cómo negarme a leer un libro cuyo primer párrafo es: “La última vez que John Weston vio a su hijo con vida fue una helada tarde de la primera semana de marzo en la qu
Aniket Barik
May 18, 2015 Aniket Barik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was an exceptionally well written and fast paced book which I enjoyed thoroughly. Michael Koryta has easily climbed up the charts of the authors I genuinely like even though I'm yet to read his other novels. There were enough twists and turns to keep me from putting it down. The characters were interesting, I instantly liked Joe. I kept trying to guess what was going to happen next but the book proved me wrong everytime. Highly unpredictable! And there was lot of action for the action junkies ...more
Richard
Jun 15, 2014 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know this is the author's first book. That's why I gave it 2 stars - because There is potential for improvement.

A couple of minor irritants: Glocks don't have safeties that are engaged or released; and, those devices that hold bullets are called "magazines", not "clips".

Major complaint: some of the ludicrous, laughable, unbelievable plot lines. For example, one of the detectives is sitting in a hotel hot tub, and the woman he's been searching for *just happens* to get in the hot tub with him
Judy
Aug 23, 2014 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a suspenseful book that had everything in it from the mob, murder, money, love triangles, to new relationships. From the time PI Perry met Julie Weston I had a suspicion she was not as she portrayed herself. I fell in Love with her daughter Betsy, as she reminded me of my sweet and smart granddaughter. I also admired the grandfather, who started the ball rolling trying to find out the whereabouts of his granddaughter and her mother, and also the truth about his son's death. I look forwa ...more
Evelyn
Nov 28, 2007 Evelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Cleveland private-eyes Lincoln Perry and Joe Pritchard are hired to investigate the supposed suicide of Wayne Weston and the disappearance of Wayne's wife and young daughter, but when the Russian mob gets involved, the investigation takes a deadly turn.

An excellent debut crime novel. Fast-paced and suspenseful, with snappy dialog. Set in Cleveland, Ohio with true-to-life city details. Expect great things to come from 21-year-old author Koryta. Highly recommend.
Linda
Aug 09, 2014 Linda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prospector, requested
Were to begin. I would assume since the author is a private investigator he would actually have some knowledge about guns. Obviously this is not the case. Glocks do not have safetys and hand guns do not have clips they have magazines. That being said I didn't find the story believable, enjoyable or any other ables. I finished it because I didn't want to be behind in my book reading challenge, but what a waste of time. I will not be reading anything else by this author.
Brenda
Oct 29, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written, engaging debut novel. I wasn't sure which characters to trust until very nearly the end of the book.
Erinne
Feb 23, 2015 Erinne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A promising start to the series, easy to read with engaging characters.
Patti
Feb 25, 2014 Patti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this several times, and it's one of my all time favorites.
Juanita
Mar 03, 2016 Juanita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read!
Carol
Jan 06, 2017 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh, just finished this book and unfortunately I'm not moved to write a rave review. Several holes in the plot, too much dialogue, a wimpy ending, and two characters almost exact duplicates of Frank and Ezra in Envy the Night. Having said that, I do like Koryta for easy-reading prose. This one was not great, not dreadful......just average, so I can't really recommend it.
Scott Miller
First one of his books for me. Solid story but it never really grabbed me. I was probably too distracted by the Cubs winning the World Series. Even though I didn't love it I'll give Koryta another shot. It was, after all, his first book. And he was the author I was reading when the Chicago Cubs won their first World Series in 108 years...
Joan
Nov 15, 2016 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a new audio series for me to read. Two ex police officers turned detective. A newspaper writer as a character. There was enough suspense and action. A few twist. I enjoyed it as an audio book.
Sean Klingler
I can't believe I hadn't seen this author before. The story was terrific. I loved the characters and can't wait to listen to more to see how they grow.

And, of course, Scott Brick turned in yet another terrific performance.
Cavendishmk
As others have noted, there were some unbelievable happenings in the story (hide and seek?). But this book held my interest and I'll give this series another try.
Andrew Allan
Jan 07, 2017 Andrew Allan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Sharp and shrewd. If I taught crime fiction writing, I'd probably assign this book as a great example for how to use twists, turns, and character.
Victoria Schwimley
An unexpected pleasure with narration by Holter Graham, my favorite!
Beth
Nov 09, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book club pick. This was a great pick. Twist, turns, and excitement. A must read.
Deepa Swaminathan
Apr 06, 2016 Deepa Swaminathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
“You have the Answer. Just get quiet enough to hear it. - Pat Obuchowski”

Jigsaw puzzles are interesting things- No piece can be neglected and yet all pieces can’t be used at once. But if you do it patiently, you find yourself staring at a whole, beautiful picture to your own astonishment. Isn’t it a stunning resemblance to mysteries?

About the Author: Michael Koryta: This is his first book that he wrote at the age of 21! He has written 12 books till now, some of which have been prestigious award
Sonia Valverde
Dec 26, 2016 Sonia Valverde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Primera novela de Koryta, y por tanto primera aparición de su personaje Lincoln Perry, con la cual nos anuncia todo lo bueno que encontraremos en las sucesivas entregas (por lo menos las otras dos que yo he leído hasta el momento) Novela negra que nos retrotrae a los clásicos, pero con un deje actual que la hace ciertamente original. Tramas bien cuidadas, de esas que atrapan y mantienen la tensión justo hasta que el autor lo decide, y que siempre nos reservan una sorpresita al final. Sustentada ...more
Ronda Hodge
Sep 29, 2016 Ronda Hodge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised that the author was only 21. This book has all the right stuff for a good Thriller/Crime novel. I was drawn in by the 2 PIs: Lincoln Perry & Joe Pritchard. The story unfolded with unexpected twists & turns right up until the end. I am happy to see that Michael Koryta is still writing because I plan to keep reading.
Debra
Stephen King recommended author. He says Koryta is "a master."
Dallas
Sep 25, 2016 Dallas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery was great, I'm just not sure this style of story-telling (film noir- 40's/private dick vocalizing every thought) is for me. It works on tv/big screen, not sure about books. I'll try the next in the series b/c I really did like the bones of the story.
  • Walking the Perfect Square (Moe Prager #1)
  • The Blue Edge of Midnight (Max Freeman, #1)
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
  • Starvation Lake
  • City of the Sun (Frank Behr, #1)
  • Tilt-a-Whirl (John Ceepak Mystery, #1)
  • A Cold Day in Paradise (Alex McKnight, #1)
  • Rogue Island (Liam Mulligan, #1)
  • Shackles (Nameless Detective, #16)
  • City Of Fire (Lena Gamble, #1)
  • On the Ropes (The Duffy Dombrowski Mysteries, #1)
  • One Drop of Blood (Kel McKelvey, #1)
  • China Trade (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #1)
  • Blood of the Wicked (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #1)
  • The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch, #1)
  • Blood Trail (Joe Pickett, #8)
  • The Moving Target
Michael Koryta (pronounced Ko-ree-ta) is the New York Times-bestselling author of 11 suspense novels. His work has been praised by Stephen King, Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Dean Koontz, James Patterson, Dennis Lehane, Daniel Woodrell, Ron Rash, and Scott Smith among many others, and has been translated into more than 20 languages. His books have won or been nominated for the Los Angeles Times Boo ...more
More about Michael Koryta...

Lincoln Perry (4 books)
  • Sorrow's Anthem (Lincoln Perry, #2)
  • A Welcome Grave (Lincoln Perry, #3)
  • The Silent Hour (Lincoln Perry, #4)

“La última vez que John Weston vio a su hijo con vida fue una helada tarde de la primera semana de marzo en la que, mientras ambos charlaban a la entrada del garaje, su nieta hacía un muñeco de nieve. Antes de marcharse, le dio una paternal palmadita en el hombro y prometió que volverían a verse pronto. Y así fue. Menos de cuarenta y ocho horas más tarde, lo vio muerto, tendido en una camilla con una bala de pequeño calibre en la cabeza. John se ahorró el horror de ver a su nieta en un estado parecido, pero la razón de ello apenas podía consolarlo. La niña de cinco años, Betsy Weston, y su madre habían desaparecido.” 0 likes
“Las personas entran y salen de nuestra de vida. Nunca llegamos a enterarnos de cuándo y cómo llegan, ni tampoco de cuándo y cómo se van. Simplemente, aprendemos de ello, lo sobrellevamos como podemos y seguimos adelante. Así es como funciona. Y eso es lo que tienes que hacer tú ahora.” 0 likes