Start by marking “The Beach Cafe” as Want to Read:
The Beach Cafe

The Beach Cafe

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  3,785 ratings  ·  211 reviews
Evie Flynn has always been the black sheep of her family - a dreamer and a drifter, unlike her over-achieving elder sisters. She's tried making a name for herself as an actress, a photographer and a singer, but nothing has ever worked out. Now she's stuck in temp hell, with a sensible, pension-planning boyfriend. Somehow life seems to be passing her by. Then her beloved au ...more
Published June 2011 by Pan Macmillan (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Beach Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beach Cafe

I've Got Your Number by Sophie KinsellaMe Before You by Jojo MoyesThe Beach Cafe by Lucy DiamondFamily Pieces by Misa RushBreaking Even by Kathleen Kole
2012 Spring Break Reads
3rd out of 45 books — 43 voters
I've Got Your Number by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaThe Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberRemember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
No Young Adult Best Chick Lit Reads
62nd out of 318 books — 328 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne
Set in Cornwall, the heroine of the story is Evie - a thirty-something woman whose life is in a bit of a rut. She's the black sheep of the family, her sisters are both successful, gorgeous, well-groomed, married with children and have great careers. Evie goes from one temp job to another, not really knowing what she wants to do, her long-term relationship with geeky Matthew has gone a bit stale - the only great thing in her life is Saul, Matthew's young son who Evie adores.
Evie is devastated whe
Rachel
I wasn't sure if I'd like this. I'm a big fan of Jenny Colgan and I wondered if it would be a bit of a rip off of her Cupcake Cafe, Beach Street Bakery, or Sweetshop novels. But it wasn't at all. I ended up unable to put this book down. The main character, Evie, was identifiable and likeable, and she had a great relationship with her best friend which was nice to read. The lead guy in the book was great, and all the personalities of the characters involved in the Beacch Cafe were great too. I'm ...more
Amanda Patterson
Easy is the best way to describe this book.
Evie Flynn feels like a failure. Her work life is as lacklustre as her love life. Her aunt dies and leaves her a beach café. Does she change her life? Do I even have to answer that? Easily read and easily forgotten, this is a fluffy bit of nothing.
A beach read if you like reading on beaches.
Rea Sinfield
Whilst I am waiting for some of my favourite authors to release their new books I have found myself reading a few books by authors I have not tried before. I have just finished The Beach Café by Lucy Diamond. I have seen books by Lucy Diamond on the shelves before but they have never seemed to stick out for me until I came across this one which once I had read the blurb I decided to give it a try.

Plot
Evie Flynn is in a relationship which doesn't seem to be going anywhere and is also stuck in a
Aileen
Evie Flynn is 32, she has a boyfriend Matthew they live in Oxford she
is the “black sheep of the family “she is a “dreaming drifter” her
sisters are all married she has had unsuccessful careers in the past
she works for a Temping Agency, she hates her job.
Auntie Jo dies and leaves Evie the Beach Cafe in Cornawall, everyone
thinks she should sell it and make a profit; however she decides to go
to Cornwall and finds things a lot harder than she thought and is it
the end for her and Matthew? For on
FoxRox
Rozmyslam, co presne som vlastne cakala. Asi viac sebaironickeho humoru, nenarocne citanie do autobusu, s iskrou a prijemnymi postavami. Ibaze toto je regulerne citanie na plaz. Do plazovej tasky si s osuskou, opalovacim kremom, Cosmopolitanom a leskom na pery pribalite i toto. V ramci zanru je to lahky priemer, pokial by som to mala hodnotit samostatne, tak by to ostalo bez hviezdicky. Niezeby to bola vyslovene katastrofa, ale podobne pismenka na papieri nemaju ziadnu skutocnu hodnotu. Spolahli ...more
Jo
Loved Evie & her Cornish adventure!
Real easy read with great characters!
Enjoyed this book a lot!
Christy
After looking forward to reading this, it certainly didn't disappoint. It was exactly what I was hoping for. An easy, summer read, evoking images of warm beach days and crashing waves on the shore. It's fair to say the concept was not an original one, (I'm currently reading 2 other books with a similar storyline idea) however, it was enjoyably executed. It is comfortingly predictable, and kept me page turning. I knew what would happen next, but I was enjoying it so much, I would have been disapp ...more
Leah
Evie Flynn has always felt like the black sheep of her family. Whilst her siblings have gotten married and have steady jobs, Evie finds herself moving from temp job to temp job, still searching for the job of her dreams. But when her Auntie Jo dies and leaves Evie her beloved beach cafe in Cornwall, Evie finally feels as though her life has purpose.She leaves Oxford and her boyfriend Matthew behind and begins trying to make her Auntie proud. Things are tough at first, but soon things begin to pi ...more
Krysia Lucuk
Perfect summer-time reading! Although predictable I couldn't help but envy the main characters lifestyle. Living by the beach, running a coffee shop and meeting delightful characters of all ages. I've already started looking at rent prices in Cornwall. Loved it!

Carolyn (Book Chick City)

Audiobook: Narrated by Jane Collingwood, who did a great job. Book started out ok but became progressively slow and dull. It's a light read, but didn't keep my attention as I kept drifting off and had to rewind to listen to chapters again.
Hollie
I was initially attracted to this book because of the fact that it is set where I live- in Cornwall (and I may have wanted to indulge in a little bit of light hearted chicklit). This is a fun, happy go lucky book however there was one thing that persistantly annoyed me whilst reading and that was....the main character. Evie was just a bit too nice for my liking and everything was just a little bit too perfect. Now don't get me wrong I know this is whats to be expected with chicklit but the book ...more
Elusive
As the title 'The Beach Cafe' itself implies, the storyline revolves around Evie Flynn, the self-proclaimed black sheep of her family who inherits her aunt Jo's cafe after her death. It shows how she's indecisive and unsure at first and paints the journey of Evie gradually changing, discovering what's really best for her and doing what she truly wants to instead of following the crowd or doubting herself.

The book was average - nothing special or unique but it was relaxing and predictable. What I
Kate Beeden
Firstly, the plot. Evie is different to the rest of her family. A bit of a dreamer, some might even go so far as to say flighty, Evie has never really settled at anything. So when her beloved Aunt dies, leaving her a café in Cornwall, she is doubtful as to whether she can run it. She couldn't manage it long distance, that's for sure, so would mean a move to the seaside. And what's more, Evie can't bake. Surely she can't really make a go of it?

It sounds good, doesn't it? It is. The Beach Café is
Chrissi
I sometimes love to indulge in a bit of chick lit, for me, it is great escapism and you don't need to think too hard to follow the story. I devoured this book within a day! I just loved the writing style and it was nice to be sucked away and transported to a beautiful part of the world. The writer's love of the beach really came through and it's something I could relate to. I would definitely read more from Lucy Diamond! A fabulous writer if you're into your chick lits.
Beth

This is what I would call a pinky plonky book which I absolutely loved. Although nothing major, thrilling or brain challenging happens in the book I loved the main character and constantly hoped she would do well for herself. Look forward to reading more Lucy Diamond books for that extra escapism ! Therefore it deserves 5 stars in plonky plonk !
Koki
Hneď v úvode sa priznám, že mám rada príbehy, v ktorých sa hrdinovia rozhodnú skoncovať so svojim dovtedajším neuspokojivým životom a začnú odznova - niekde inde a nejako inak. Tento príbeh taký je ;-)

Evie je žena, ktorá napriek svojmu veku (sladkých 32) stále nevie, čo od života chce. Hľadá si svoje miesto. Jej rodina jej pri tom veľmi nepomáha - každý ju považuje skôr za dievča, ktoré sa nevie nikam zaradiť, a ktoré netuší, čo je správne. Keď Evie po smrti tety Jo zdedí kaviareň na pláži, každ
Kdnts
Super cute story. Easy to read contemporary novel about Evie and her quarter life crisis. Perhaps I liked this due to the coffee content and the fact that the idea of owning my own cafe on the beach is an appealing business proposition to me. However, the characters were still easy to like and the story moved along nicely.
Kajol
3.5 stars - Pleasant feel-better read, I gave it 4 stars, only because of the "feel-better" angle that it rocked. A joyous read, gets a little dreary somewhere in the beginning when the heroine is still confused over what she should do..but picks up a fairly steady rhythm. All in all, I liked it. :)

Marguerite Kaye
I bought this because it was number two in the Kindle rankings, and because it kept popping up in my recommended list. It's a feel-good beach read thing, I'd say, and to be honest it was a bit too feel good twee for me.

It did exactly what it said on the tin. It was well-written, it was full of nice characters, it had a slightly damaged, slightly underdog narrator. It had lovely scenery, it had a nice wee village, and best friends, and bad boyfriends, and lots of cake eating and bonding went on.
Rachel
Lovely, a total fluff-fest from beginning to end. With easily predicted plot lines and loveable characters, what's not to like? (Especially for 59p on Kindle!) You know exactly what you're getting with this kind of fiction.

I always love stories where a character moves away from an unsatisfactory situation and starts afresh. She has confrontations with the locals, meets other, more supportive, people and generally makes a huge success of the new venture. This is pure fabulous escapist fiction.

M
Annie
Just finished this one and enjoyed every page, chick lit at its very best. Evie's a wonderful character, there are some superb supporting cast, and a really feelgood story. Maybe a bit predictable, but when it's done this well who cares?
Jane Bell
Great, feel good, airy, summertime read!
My first Lucy Diamond novel, and I will certainly read more by her.
Loved Evie, the main protagonist, from my first introduction to her. 'the black sheep' of her family, she does well and indeed, through gritted teeth, struggle and determination, wins in the end. Hurrah!
This book has many lovely characters and set in Cornwall, the setting creates a calming, seaside summer feel in itself.
Reading it was a pleasure and it is one book, I will pass around to oth
Laura Dobb
I liked this book, although I didn't like as much as I've liked other books in the collection, but still a fun and easy read if your into easy reading chick lit
Hannah Ward
I loved this book so much, I actually felt as if I was part of the day to day running of the cafe and I thought Evie was lovely, like you could really get on with her. I love the way Lucy seems to be able to create such loveable characters and the way she writes about Cornwall, well I just want to go there now and find the Beach Cafe. This is a great holiday read if your going away especially to Cornwall. You can easily lose yourself into this story. I look forward to reading Christmas at the Be ...more
Kerry James
Feb 15, 2015 Kerry James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: in review
This story centres around Evie, a 30something woman who is in a job ahe doesnt really like, has a boyfriend who seems to be disapproving with her whole outlook on life and seems to see her as a project in the making.

When she inherits a cafe overlooking a beach in Cornwall, she seizes the opportunity to change her life.

She is a really likeable character and I was totally engrossed in this book. I couldn't put it down reading it well into the night and finishing it off the next day.

OK some aspects
Kim
A nice light easy holiday read
Stacey
Evie Flynn has always felt like the black sheep of her family, with two successful married sisters who both have children, Evie feels like she is a disappointment to her parents. Never being able to keep a steady job and moving from one temp job to another, stale relationship that is only held together by Saul, her boyfriend Matthew’s son and no path in life, who can blame her.

When Evie’s favourite Aunty Jo is tragically and suddenly killed in a car crash, Evie and her family are surprised to le
Rebecca Carter
I wasn't sure I'd like this book as I've only just started introducing some chick lit books back into my reading, as after a long stressful day I need some easy fluffy reading that doesn't require much brain power. I don't mean that in a sneery look down my nose snobby kind of way, as chick lit can be great. It's definitely my guilty little secret again.
Anyway I'll get to the book! It's centred around Evie a woman whose life is stuck in a bit of a rut and feels like she's the black sheep of her
Junifer
If you turn your mind blank it is an alright, cozy read and the fact that everything falls into this protagonist's lap is even funny. I can even tolerate the way she handles her sisters, like the immature little baby she is. But I have to draw the line at the first time she and her love interest (whom she doesn't even know by the way) have sex, or rather...where... (view spoiler) ...more
  • Wedding Tiers
  • Here Come the Girls
  • Meet Me at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #1)
  • The Secret of Happy Ever After
  • Getting Away with It
  • Summer of Love
  • Last Christmas
  • One Minute to Midnight
First of all, a confession. My name isn’t really Lucy Diamond at all, it’s Sue Mongredien. I’ve used a pen name because ‘Diamond’ is a lot easier to spell and pronounce than ‘Mongredien’ and also because I’ve written lots of children’s books too and wanted to keep the genres separate. (There is actually another Lucy Diamond on Amazon who writes religious children’s books. That isn’t me, though.)

I
More about Lucy Diamond...
Sweet Temptation Summer With My Sister One Night in Italy Christmas at the Beach Cafe The Year of Taking Chances