Start by marking “The Beach Cafe” as Want to Read:
The Beach Cafe

The Beach Cafe

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,266 Ratings  ·  270 Reviews
Evie Flynn has always been the black sheep of her family - a dreamer and a drifter, unlike her over-achieving elder sisters. She's tried making a name for herself as an actress, a photographer and a singer, but nothing has ever worked out. Now she's stuck in temp hell, with a sensible, pension-planning boyfriend. Somehow life seems to be passing her by. Then her beloved au ...more
Published June 2011 by Pan Macmillan (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Beach Cafe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beach Cafe

I've Got Your Number by Sophie KinsellaMe Before You by Jojo MoyesThe Beach Cafe by Lucy DiamondOn Mystic Lake by Kristin HannahFamily Pieces by Misa Rush
2012 Spring Break Reads
3rd out of 45 books — 43 voters
I've Got Your Number by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaRemember Me? by Sophie KinsellaThe Law of Attraction by N.M. Silber
No Young Adult Best Chick Lit Reads
80th out of 418 books — 374 voters

More lists with this book...

Suad Shamma
May 01, 2016 Suad Shamma rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2016
After the last few books I read, I was really craving some lighthearted material to pass the time. I looked through my chick-lit books that I had lying around waiting to be read, and found this little gem. I had it for many years now, and I remember I bought it because of the rave reviews, so it seemed the perfect choice to get me going. Given the title, and the beach weather we've had here, it was exactly what I needed.

The Beach Cafe was a very well-written book, with interesting characters, th
Anne
Jul 22, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing
Set in Cornwall, the heroine of the story is Evie - a thirty-something woman whose life is in a bit of a rut. She's the black sheep of the family, her sisters are both successful, gorgeous, well-groomed, married with children and have great careers. Evie goes from one temp job to another, not really knowing what she wants to do, her long-term relationship with geeky Matthew has gone a bit stale - the only great thing in her life is Saul, Matthew's young son who Evie adores.
Evie is devastated whe
Rachel
Dec 02, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure if I'd like this. I'm a big fan of Jenny Colgan and I wondered if it would be a bit of a rip off of her Cupcake Cafe, Beach Street Bakery, or Sweetshop novels. But it wasn't at all. I ended up unable to put this book down. The main character, Evie, was identifiable and likeable, and she had a great relationship with her best friend which was nice to read. The lead guy in the book was great, and all the personalities of the characters involved in the Beacch Cafe were great too. I'm ...more
Rosie
Jun 17, 2015 Rosie rated it really liked it
The title is pretty self explanatory, this book is a cute summery read about a cafe by the beach! I loved that, despite the setting being Cornwall, I imagined my favourite sea side town in the UK, Broadhaven. The setting in this book was so good that it was so easy to imagine the cafe actually existing. I loved the protagonist, except her attitude towards men drove me a bit insane and I preferred her when she was in her independent woman phase.

This book wasn't perfect, though. I thought I could
Amanda Patterson
Jan 22, 2012 Amanda Patterson rated it it was ok
Easy is the best way to describe this book.
Evie Flynn feels like a failure. Her work life is as lacklustre as her love life. Her aunt dies and leaves her a beach café. Does she change her life? Do I even have to answer that? Easily read and easily forgotten, this is a fluffy bit of nothing.
A beach read if you like reading on beaches.
Connie (hoot reads books)
After some thought I decided to boost my rating from 3.5 to 4/5. It's a really good contemporary romance and one of the better ones I read so far!

I find it rare to come across a fictional character that you can relate to which is exactly how I felt when reading about Evie Flynn. She is a thirty something year old who is a dreamer and a wanderer. Most of her life she has been an actress to photographer but nothing has ever worked. Now Evie is stuck in a stupid temp job with a half decent boyfrien
Rea Sinfield
Jun 19, 2011 Rea Sinfield rated it really liked it
Whilst I am waiting for some of my favourite authors to release their new books I have found myself reading a few books by authors I have not tried before. I have just finished The Beach Café by Lucy Diamond. I have seen books by Lucy Diamond on the shelves before but they have never seemed to stick out for me until I came across this one which once I had read the blurb I decided to give it a try.

Plot
Evie Flynn is in a relationship which doesn't seem to be going anywhere and is also stuck in a
Aileen
Jun 13, 2011 Aileen rated it it was amazing
Evie Flynn is 32, she has a boyfriend Matthew they live in Oxford she
is the “black sheep of the family “she is a “dreaming drifter” her
sisters are all married she has had unsuccessful careers in the past
she works for a Temping Agency, she hates her job.
Auntie Jo dies and leaves Evie the Beach Cafe in Cornawall, everyone
thinks she should sell it and make a profit; however she decides to go
to Cornwall and finds things a lot harder than she thought and is it
the end for her and Matthew? For on
Jo
Nov 21, 2013 Jo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved Evie & her Cornish adventure!
Real easy read with great characters!
Enjoyed this book a lot!
Whispering Stories
Mar 14, 2015 Whispering Stories rated it really liked it
Evie Flynn has always felt like the black sheep of her family, with two successful married sisters who both have children, Evie feels like she is a disappointment to her parents. Never being able to keep a steady job and moving from one temp job to another, stale relationship that is only held together by Saul, her boyfriend Matthew’s son and no path in life, who can blame her.

When Evie’s favourite Aunty Jo is tragically and suddenly killed in a car crash, Evie and her family are surprised to le
FoxRox
Oct 05, 2015 FoxRox rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Rozmyslam, co presne som vlastne cakala. Asi viac sebaironickeho humoru, nenarocne citanie do autobusu, s iskrou a prijemnymi postavami. Ibaze toto je regulerne citanie na plaz. Do plazovej tasky si s osuskou, opalovacim kremom, Cosmopolitanom a leskom na pery pribalite i toto. V ramci zanru je to lahky priemer, pokial by som to mala hodnotit samostatne, tak by to ostalo bez hviezdicky. Niezeby to bola vyslovene katastrofa, ale podobne pismenka na papieri nemaju ziadnu skutocnu hodnotu. Spolahli ...more
Christy
Aug 28, 2014 Christy rated it really liked it
After looking forward to reading this, it certainly didn't disappoint. It was exactly what I was hoping for. An easy, summer read, evoking images of warm beach days and crashing waves on the shore. It's fair to say the concept was not an original one, (I'm currently reading 2 other books with a similar storyline idea) however, it was enjoyably executed. It is comfortingly predictable, and kept me page turning. I knew what would happen next, but I was enjoying it so much, I would have been disapp ...more
Leah
Jun 11, 2011 Leah rated it liked it
Evie Flynn has always felt like the black sheep of her family. Whilst her siblings have gotten married and have steady jobs, Evie finds herself moving from temp job to temp job, still searching for the job of her dreams. But when her Auntie Jo dies and leaves Evie her beloved beach cafe in Cornwall, Evie finally feels as though her life has purpose.She leaves Oxford and her boyfriend Matthew behind and begins trying to make her Auntie proud. Things are tough at first, but soon things begin to pi ...more
Merrily2
After reading lots of similar summery books all set in either Cornwall or Devon I was beginning to think I was actually there! Its a nice tale though about Evie and having been to Cornwall I could picture myself on the beach watching the surfers. I also know what its like there with wet miserable weather so it was good to see that too (without spoilers). all in all another lovely summer read.
Krysia Lucuk
Oct 24, 2014 Krysia Lucuk rated it it was amazing
Perfect summer-time reading! Although predictable I couldn't help but envy the main characters lifestyle. Living by the beach, running a coffee shop and meeting delightful characters of all ages. I've already started looking at rent prices in Cornwall. Loved it!

Hollie
Mar 07, 2012 Hollie rated it it was ok
I was initially attracted to this book because of the fact that it is set where I live- in Cornwall (and I may have wanted to indulge in a little bit of light hearted chicklit). This is a fun, happy go lucky book however there was one thing that persistantly annoyed me whilst reading and that was....the main character. Evie was just a bit too nice for my liking and everything was just a little bit too perfect. Now don't get me wrong I know this is whats to be expected with chicklit but the book ...more
Catherinehaine Haines
May 03, 2016 Catherinehaine Haines rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I liked the characters and have not been able to stop reading it. Definitely my kind of book.
Stephenie
Oct 04, 2015 Stephenie rated it really liked it
The perfect escape. Finally a new author for me to stock up on!
Girlwithapen
May 04, 2016 Girlwithapen rated it really liked it
I was looking for a good book to read a few weeks ago and I came across a very appealing cover that drew me in and I couldn’t put it down, so I brought it. The bright colours and the premise of the title told me that it was going to be a novel that was going to be surrounded by sand and water. The Beach Café by Lucy Diamond, is a diamond in the rough. It is a tale of family, friendship, romance but most importantly it is a book about self-esteem and self-worth.
The book is about a girl Evie, who
Nessa
Dec 30, 2015 Nessa rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book, first book I've read by this author and it's safe to say that I will be reading more of her books.
Best Crime Books & More
Sep 18, 2015 Best Crime Books & More rated it it was amazing
I have been book reviewing for a few years now and only recently picked up my first Lucy Diamond book. However, I had no idea how much reading one of her books would change things for me. The second book I picked up was her most recent release Summer With My Sister. The book was a brilliant read and as I was reading it, something strange happened. It started the cogs in my brain turning and an idea for a new business has come out of it (but more on that later!). Having enjoyed the first two book ...more
Elusive
Nov 08, 2014 Elusive rated it liked it
Shelves: review
As the title 'The Beach Cafe' itself implies, the storyline revolves around Evie Flynn, the self-proclaimed black sheep of her family who inherits her aunt Jo's cafe after her death. It shows how she's indecisive and unsure at first and paints the journey of Evie gradually changing, discovering what's really best for her and doing what she truly wants to instead of following the crowd or doubting herself.

The book was average - nothing special or unique but it was relaxing and predictable. What I
Katey Lovell
Aug 18, 2014 Katey Lovell rated it really liked it
Firstly, the plot. Evie is different to the rest of her family. A bit of a dreamer, some might even go so far as to say flighty, Evie has never really settled at anything. So when her beloved Aunt dies, leaving her a café in Cornwall, she is doubtful as to whether she can run it. She couldn't manage it long distance, that's for sure, so would mean a move to the seaside. And what's more, Evie can't bake. Surely she can't really make a go of it?

It sounds good, doesn't it? It is. The Beach Café is
Chrissi
Sep 01, 2011 Chrissi rated it really liked it
I sometimes love to indulge in a bit of chick lit, for me, it is great escapism and you don't need to think too hard to follow the story. I devoured this book within a day! I just loved the writing style and it was nice to be sucked away and transported to a beautiful part of the world. The writer's love of the beach really came through and it's something I could relate to. I would definitely read more from Lucy Diamond! A fabulous writer if you're into your chick lits.
Bosorka
Kavárna na pláži mě zaujala nejprve svou obálkou, která na mě i díky užití barev působila hodně příjemně. Pak navnadila anotací, která vypadala, že půjde o ideální letní čtení. Začetla jsem se rychle. A i když se jedná o klasický příběh typu "jak ošklivé káčátko vyrostlo v nádhernou labuť" (tady ve verzi, jak černá ovce rodiny, od níž nikdo nic nečeká, se vzchopí a stane se z ní skvělá manažerka), bavilo mě, jak je to psáno s nadhledem, že si autorka umí ze své hrdinky utahovat, že je knížka úsm ...more
Danielle
Jul 08, 2012 Danielle rated it it was amazing

Well I started this book Friday afternoon and finnished it yesterday- due to the fact I was ill and couldn't do anything else!

Anyway, the story line is set in Cornwall and the main charachter is called Evie I loved every minute reading this book and I am in love with Lucy Diamonds writing styles- I think shes one of my favourite author's.
I found the charachters were so believable that they were part of my own life where ever I looked.

Kamilla
Jul 18, 2015 Kamilla rated it really liked it
What a heart warming, funny little chic-lit! I adored this book. The first half was a but weird as we got to know black-sheep Evie, who just seemed to be such an airy-fairy thirtytwo year old, for whom nothing has ever turned out well or the way she wanted it to. She seemed to be such a clutz. It was almast annoying - especially at that age. But the second half of the book made up for this. Upon inheriting a cafè Evie's life has turned upside down, but somehow, all through the turmoil, she seeme ...more
Hannah
Aug 17, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
After reading “Summer at Shell Cottage” and really enjoying it I decided to try another one of Lucy Diamond’s books. After browsing through Lucy Diamond’s books on Amazon I decided I liked the sound of “The Beach Cafe” so decided to give it a try.

The Beach Cafe felt very similar to Summer at Shell Cottage but that didn’t really worry me! It was a great summery chick lit read! Just what I love! :)

We follow Evie, a woman who has spent her life being seen as a total failure by her family… Until she
Beth
Aug 22, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing

This is what I would call a pinky plonky book which I absolutely loved. Although nothing major, thrilling or brain challenging happens in the book I loved the main character and constantly hoped she would do well for herself. Look forward to reading more Lucy Diamond books for that extra escapism ! Therefore it deserves 5 stars in plonky plonk !
Anne
Apr 15, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Fab fab fab ... reminds me of my friend Sarah and I , going to Cornwall for a break .. this book is set in two places Oxford and Cornwall , what could be more apt!! It is a great Chick Lit .. read it anywhere .. and enjoy!!! Evie is the Black sheep of the family and her sisters always think she is going to get things wrong .. !!
  • Here Come the Girls
  • Wedding Tiers
  • Heaven Sent
  • Katy Carter Wants a Hero
  • Walking Back to Happiness
  • Breakfast at Darcy's
  • The Night Before Christmas
  • Meet Me at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #1)
  • Wrapped Up in You
  • (Un)like a Virgin
  • One Minute to Midnight
  • Fairytale of New York
  • Getting Away with It
  • Last Christmas
  • Summer of Love
First of all, a confession. My name isn’t really Lucy Diamond at all, it’s Sue Mongredien. I’ve used a pen name because ‘Diamond’ is a lot easier to spell and pronounce than ‘Mongredien’ and also because I’ve written lots of children’s books too and wanted to keep the genres separate. (There is actually another Lucy Diamond on Amazon who writes religious children’s books. That isn’t me, though.)

I
More about Lucy Diamond...