Start by marking “Rainbow's End (Felse, #13)” as Want to Read:
Rainbow's End (Felse, #13)

Rainbow's End (Felse Investigations #13)

The sleepy village of Middlehope is suddenly jerked into life by nouveau riche antiques magnate Arthur Rainbow. In a whirlwind of activity he extravagantly refurbishes the Manor House, joins the Golf Club, Angling Society and Arts Council - and, in a ruthless coup, dislodges the old church organist to take over the position himself.

But for all his reforming zeal, the Middl
Published July 1st 1992 by Mysterious Press (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainbow's End

A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis PetersA Bloody Field by Shrewsbury by Edith PargeterThe Brothers of Gwynedd by Edith PargeterThe Grass Widow's Tale by Ellis PetersOne Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters
Ellis Peters (a/k/a Edith Pargeter)
48th out of 89 books — 11 voters
The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix PotterPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAmadeus by Peter ShafferThe Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
For Pete's Sake ...
285th out of 368 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

A.M.
Jun 12, 2016 A.M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
I didn’t think I had even heard of this series when I read #12. But GR assured me that I owned one. I went looking in my cluttered shelves and found it, purchased in August 1987. Bloody hell. No wonder I’d forgotten.
This one reminds me of a Midsomer Murder script. A new, rich man moves into the village. Arthur Everard Rainbow. He takes over everything with money and force of personality. He tries to replace the local gentry as he sucks up to them and snubs the merchants. And he changes things to
Sally
Sep 29, 2016 Sally rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
With Rainbow's End I've come to the last of the Inspector Felse mysteries that I have been able to get as audiobooks for now. I'll still be on the watch for 3 of the 13 in this series that I have not listened to. The writing is so enjoyable and the mysteries are creative. I would not classify them as typical cozy mysteries, but if you like that type, these will satisfy.
Suzanne Moore
Nov 25, 2009 Suzanne Moore rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
After a mysterious death occurs, Mr. Rainbow the church organist, is found to have met his demise by falling from the church's bell tower. The question is ... was the tragedy intentional, or accidental? And what was he doing in the bell tower to begin with? When upon further investigation evidence is found to suggest he was pushed the story goes into full swing ... leading one to suspect his wife, her admirer (lover?), a choirboy, among others. I wasn't drawn into the story, but as with all myst ...more
Julie
Jul 01, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Recommended to Julie by: Dad
Shelves: 2008
My dad picked this up because he loved the Cadfael mysteries so much. He didn't like it too well, but he passed it on to me anyway. As it turned out, I quite enjoyed it! I liked the characters, the plot was interesting, and it was intriguing reading about a murder investigation in a small town where everyone pretty much clams up and that isn't considered an obstruction of justice - it's expected. It poses some interesting problems.

I would read some of the other Inspector Felse mysteries.
Cindy
Dec 17, 2008 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Shelves: mysteries
Someone pushes the newcomer down the tower of the church steeple. Inspector George Felse must investigate. He has plenty of suspects, from the beautiful widow, the less than grief stricken mistress, the business rivals, and the hostile villagers.

I love these books. Too bad they are not in print anymore.
George
Jul 06, 2010 George rated it it was amazing
#13 in the Inspector George Felse mystery series set in England near the Wales border. A very good mystery regarding how a close knit community deals with a wealthy misfit who tries to take over the community. Plot involves murder, antiques and a brash youngster.
Maribeth
Nov 19, 2010 Maribeth rated it really liked it
For some reason, I didn't enjoy the plot of this one as much as I have the other Inspector Felse books I've read. But it was still a good read and relationships between the members of the Felse family are always an added attraction.
Andrea Hickman Walker
Sep 09, 2010 Andrea Hickman Walker rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This is a fun murder mystery that is well worth reading, like just about anything Peters has written, apparently. I'll be keeping an eye out for others in her Inspector Felse series.
Mantelli
Nov 06, 2015 Mantelli rated it really liked it
I love the Felse series, but I think Peters was getting tired of it by this novel, which seems a tad shopworn in comparison to the rest
Of the series.
Maureen E
Oct 10, 2011 Maureen E rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Not my favorite Peters, but the last in the Felse series, I believe. And that’s about all I can remember on this one! [July 2010]
Gill
Jan 14, 2010 Gill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ep
I enjoyed this well-constructed story. The first "modern" detective story of Ellis Peter's that I have read.
Paddy
Jul 02, 2012 Paddy rated it did not like it
My first Ellis Peters...not a good way to start w/ a new author. She's no Dorothy Sayers.
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Doreen Gooding
Doreen Gooding marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Libby Tatz
Libby Tatz marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Glenda Powell
Glenda Powell rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Helen Howerton
Helen Howerton rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Teri-k
Teri-k rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Gary Vassallo
Gary Vassallo marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Silvia
Silvia marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
  • A Grave Mistake (Roderick Alleyn, #30)
  • The Case of William Smith (Miss Silver, #13)
  • The Saint and Mr. Teal (The Saint)
  • The Missing Madonna (Sister Mary Helen, #3)
  • Wobble to Death
  • Best Detective Stories of Agatha Christie
  • The Sirens Sang of Murder (Hilary Tamar, #3)
  • The Noble Outlaw (Crowner John Mystery #11)
  • Valley of the Shadow (Sister Fidelma, #6)
  • When Last I Died (Mrs. Bradley, #13)
  • Mystery Mile (Albert Campion Mystery #2)
  • Nancy Pickard Presents Malice Domestic (Malice Domestic, #3)
  • Mrs. Malory and the Fatal Legacy
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • Untitled (A Booklover's Mystery, #4)
  • Death's Autograph (Dido Hoare, #1)
  • Fen Country:  Twenty-Six Stories Featuring Gervase Fen (Gervase Fen, #11)
  • Blood Lines: Long and Short Stories
A pseudonym used by Edith Pargeter.

Edith Mary Pargeter, OBE, BEM (September 28, 1913 in Horsehay, Shropshire, England –October 14, 1995) was a prolific author of works in many categories, especially history and historical fiction, and was also honoured for her translations of Czech classics; she is probably best known for her murder mysteries, both historical and modern. Born in the village of Hor
More about Ellis Peters...

Felse Investigations (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Fallen Into the Pit (Felse, #1)
  • Death and the Joyful Woman (Felse, #2)
  • Flight of a Witch (Felse, #3)
  • A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs (Felse, #4)
  • The Piper on the Mountain (Felse, #5)
  • Black Is the Colour of My True Love's Heart (Felse, #6)
  • The Grass Widow's Tale (Felse, #7)
  • The House of Green Turf (Felse, #8)
  • Mourning Raga (Felse, #9)
  • The Knocker on Death's Door (Felse, #10)