Start by marking “The Mislabeled Child: How Understanding Your Child's Unique Learning Style Can Open the Door to Success” as Want to Read:

For parents, teachers, and other professionals seeking practical guidance about ways to help children with learning problems, this book provides a comprehensive look at learning differences ranging from dyslexia to dysgraphia, to attention problems, to giftedness. In The Mislabeled Child, the authors describe how a proper understanding of a childs unique brain-based ...more
Published August 7th 2007 by Hyperion (first published January 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Mislabeled Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mislabeled Child

Amber Fuller
Aug 01, 2011 Amber Fuller rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book provides an in-depth look at the unique learning needs of exceptional children, those falling outside typical standards for varying reasons. It emphasizes the need for a very inclusive and accurate evaluation of the child's strengths and weaknesses as well as their preferred learning style. This emphasis on a clear and encompassing evaluation leads directly into the author's platform that individual needs must be identified so that they can be addressed very specifically. Avoiding the ...more
Sheridan
May 16, 2010 Sheridan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, gifted
GREAT for understanding my sweet Devon. I listened to a gifted conference by the authors and a 2E (twice exceptional, meaning gifted with learning issues) conference by them and finally have confirmation that indeed Devon does have dyslexia, because he is gifted and can read at a high level and has great comprehension, it is called stealth dyslexia. It doesn't appear as dyslexia, but he has pretty much all the signs of stealth dyslexia and I have always thought he did. So this book is a really ...more
Rebecca
Oct 14, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Challenging but helpful book. Want to know exercises that can help strengthen your child's memory, vision, hearing? This is the book for you. Want to know how to talk with your child's teacher about who your child is? This is the book for you. Want to help a dyslexic child in your classroom but just don't know how? This is the book for you!
Jen
Dec 30, 2015 Jen rated it liked it
I guess I shouldn't say I fully "read" this as it was for a class and although I read about 3/4 of it, I did not fully complete it. This book has great information and is VERY detailed. My professor used this text hand-in-hand with her lectures, so the information that I did not read, was given through lecture.
Liz
Jun 16, 2014 Liz rated it it was ok
This book made me too paranoid about all the things that could be wrong with my kids. If you know your kids have learning disabilities, the info and organization of this book would rock, but for those of us who are just wondering, it makes you think that everything is wrong with your kids and you will never, ever fix them.
Wende
Sep 18, 2010 Wende rated it really liked it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I'll revisit this one soon. This is a very helpful book, but so dense it's like reading a college-level textbook. I like the tone of the writing-- positve, empowering for parents and teachers. The problem for me, as always is how to fund the needed interventions once they are identified! My "do it yourself" skills don't extend this far.
Athalia Stoneback
Sep 21, 2012 Athalia Stoneback rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These authors did a great job researching each disability, and explaining why some disabilities might be mistaken for others. Helpful if you think you or a loved one has a learning disability, but are not sure which one. The authors did seem to have a problem with autism, though, claiming that those with autism lack empathy, which auties tend to refute, and that their echolalia is "pointless".
Jehnie
May 31, 2013 Jehnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Not a sit-down-and-read-from-page-one type book. But a good read if you are trying to figure out conflicting information about your child. The focus is much more scientific and discusses neurochemistry which is a nice shift from the "based on 100 studies" model. It offers behaviors to look for and suggestions for "help."
Michelle
Jun 02, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I have read a lot of books on special needs, but this is the best....hands down. It covers everything from giftedness to ADHD to autism to dyslexia to sensory processing disorder. I recommend this book for any parent with a child who has special needs.
Amy
Jan 18, 2010 Amy rated it liked it
It was pretty good. Not a lot of new information, but I've read a lot of books on the subject, so that that for what it's worth. The Eide's however are one of the foremost on this subject. If you've not read a lot about this subject it's a must read!
Christine
Aug 04, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
I can't tell if this one is clearer than other learning styles/learning disabilites books, or if the content is familiar by now. It must be somewhat good, I don't feel I should return it to the library without taking more notes on dysgraphia.
Melanie
Aug 24, 2008 Melanie rated it really liked it
This book had a lot of practical ideas for things to do to help with different learning disabilities.
Snyder
Jan 28, 2010 Snyder rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tutors, teachers, homeschoolers, parents
Shelves: teaching-english
This is an excellent read for anyone wanting to teach or support children. There is an exceptional chapter about how the memory works.
Heather
Dec 08, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
This book has great information, and is somewhat helpful, but the organization of it made it painfully hard to read.
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Rosario Hemphill
Rosario Hemphill rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
steafanie wallace
steafanie wallace rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Mishele
Mishele rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2010
Amit
Amit rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2013
Jade Tinkler
Jade Tinkler rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
D.M.
D.M. rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Marcella
Marcella rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2014
Elisa
Elisa rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Kathee
Kathee rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2009
Tria
Tria rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2009
Meg Waskow
Meg Waskow rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2009
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2013
Joni Rupnow
Joni Rupnow rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Guiding the Gifted Child: A Practical Source for Parents and Teachers
  • Living with Intensity
  • Genius Denied: How to Stop Wasting Our Brightest Young Minds
  • Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World: Unlocking the Potential of Your ADD Child
  • Different Minds: Gifted Children with AD/HD, Asperger Syndrome, and Other Learning Deficits
  • The Childhood Roots of Adult Happiness: Five Steps to Help Kids Create and Sustain Lifelong Joy
  • Some of My Best Friends Are Books: Guiding Gifted Readers from Pre-School to High School
  • And the Skylark Sings with Me
  • Wounded by School: Recapturing the Joy in Learning and Standing Up to Old School Culture
  • The Myth of Laziness
  • The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart
  • The Hurried Child: Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon
  • The Hidden Gifts of the Introverted Child: Helping Your Child Thrive in an Extroverted World
  • Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way
  • Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with SensoryIntegration Issues
  • Above All, Be Kind: Raising a Humane Child in Challenging Times
  • The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling
  • Sleeping Through the Night: How Infants, Toddlers, and Their Parents Can Get a Good Night's Sleep