Woof Meow Tweet-Tweet

Woof Meow Tweet-Tweet

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  25 reviews
How well do you really know what the differences are between a dog, a cat and a bird?

In this book, the magic of letters brings out the pictures. Words and sounds have taken the place of pictures to tell the inner story of dogs, cats, and birds, and their often hectic encounters.

A very funny story told in a graphically-arresting new way, Woof, Meow, Tweet-Tweet will charm r...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Seven Footer Press (first published October 19th 2009)

Adrienne Furness
I don't know how I missed this when it came out, but I love it. I think it's a little bit because I love words and a little bit because I love fonts and a little bit because I love dogs and cats and birds.
Tasha
This inventive picture book begins by asking if readers can tell the difference between a dog, a cat and a bird. The book goes on to explain the differences, such as a the dog lives outside during the day and the bird hates its cage. But instead of an illustration of the animals, Boyer has replaced them with the word for the noise they make: woof, meow, and tweet-tweet. The book continues showing the differences between the animals and eventually explores what happens when they meet each other,...more
Anne
Every once in a while, I can tell a book isn't written by an American without knowing anything about the author (in this case, I didn't even see her name first before reading). This isn't a bad thing, as I really enjoyed this funny picture book about the differences between cats, dogs, and birds. But as soon as I saw the spread about the dog peeing on a wall, I was pretty sure we were dealing with a European import (indeed, from France).

That said, I think American kids will like this book. It h...more
Mary Ann
I particularly liked the feel of this book. It uses simple concrete poetry to show the animals. So you have "meow" sitting on a stuffed chair, quietly sitting just like a cat would, as the text says, "The cat prefers the comfort of a nice interior." The simple illustrations and text combine nicely with the concrete poetry to bring you into the story nicely. A good introduction to concrete poetry for young kids - not cluttered or busy, but simple and direct.
Ashley
This book tells the story of a dog, cat, and a bird and what happens when they all meet. The illustrations consist of the words "woof," "meow," and "tweet," instead of actual images of a dog, a cat and birds. From an adult point of view, I think it is an interesting concept and graphically pleasing to me. However, the simplicity of the story would make the age this book is suited for too young to understand the abstract concept of the words replacing the animals.
Robin
The dog, cat and bird in this book are represented by their sounds, in text: the bold, brown "woof" of the dog, the more refined "meow" (a serif font) of the cat, and the more delicate, thin "tweet-tweet" of the bird. Not much of a storyline but rather an exploration of what dogs, cats & birds are like. I think children will enjoy the concept and it helps to emphasize print awareness. Originally published in France as Ouaf Miaou Cui-Cui.
Using a crisp graphic style, this picture book uses font, layout, and text to illustrate the differences among dogs, cats, and birds. The sound each makes stands in for the animal, so when we see a cat's favorite nap place, for example, there's a picture of a comfy sofa and the word "meow" nestled into one of the pillows. Simple concept, cleverly done.
Shelli
This book receives five stars because it was a totally new art concept that I have not seen before. Very simple drawings that were nothing fabulous BUT instead of showing the main characters of the story (the dog, cat, and bird) the illustrator used the words WOOF, MEOW, and TWEET-TWEET to represent the animals. Very clever!
Heidi
Not bad, but I think I would have preferred it in French. I liked seeing the animals' respective sounds being used to represent the animals. A couple of parts that I thought were just "OK." A couple that I really liked. The ending seemed kind of off, but maybe that was a translation thing.
Shawna
What an interesting concept, using the sounds the animals make to represent the animals themselves. This book shares some of the characteristics of a dog, a cat, and a bird. I loved the illustration when the animals meet! I think my students would enjoy having this read to them!
Jen
a book about cats, dogs and birds that doesn't have any pictures of any animals, just the noise they make in their natural environments. very interesting. Makes some broad generalizations about each animals behaviour however. could be a good book for participation.
Taylor Troncin
This book was read for Wesley’s summer reading club. Wesley is my (soon to be five year old) son. This review is what we used for his reading club.
***

Wesley really liked acting out the sounds and movements of the animals.
Kate
Neato! The dog, cat and bird are represented in the illustrations by the words "woof," "meow," and "tweet-tweet." Very sparse but effective design. BUT very advanced vocabulary - "venture," "interior," "solitary," "commotion."
Amanda
This book is enjoyable because the geometric artwork is brightly colored and it uses the sound words to depict how a cat, a dog, and a bird differ in their daily activities. Really cute, comical, and great for ages two and up.
Karen A.
Clever. Good for any dog, cat, or bird storytime. Kids will especially like the scenario of what happens when these creatures all meet. Especially if they can make the noises too!!!
Kristin
What if animals in a picture book manifested themselves as the words describing the sounds they make? Kind of a arty picture book, but great for those who like that kind of thing.
Miri
Great illustrations, and a great premise—each animal is represented by the word for the sound it makes. Each gets its own font, and it's amazing how expressive they are.
Stefani
Okay story that is made great by replacing images of dogs, cats, and birds by the words woof, meow, and tweet-tweet. This would make a great example for print awareness.
Beverly
An interesting book in which the words "woof," "Meow," and "tweet-tweet" are substituted for the actual animal in the spare illustrations.
Deborah
May 17, 2011 Deborah added it
Shelves: picturebooks
A dog, a cat, a bird, represented by "woof", "meow", "tweet-tweet" – a child's introduction to the word on the page.
Lonica
I really appreciate the clever, graphic images of this simple book.
Megan
Lilli loved this one - so maybe other younger kids will too
Mary Ann
I mostly liked how the words were used as illustrations.
Julie Barcroft
Julie Barcroft marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014