James and the Giant Peach

James and the Giant Peach

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  188,011 ratings  ·  3,330 reviews
Traditional Chinese edition of James and the Giant Peach, the Roald Dahl classic . In Traditional Chinese. Distributed by Tsai Fong Books, Inc.
Published May 1st 2011 by Puffin Books (first published 1961)

Muna
When I was in third grade, the first great crush of my life, Scott Murphy, stood up on the picnic table outside of the trailer that housed my third grade class and instead of reading his lines -- James' words -- from his paperback copy while we were all trying to rehearse the chapter we were supposed to present to the entire class the next day, he performed the most passionate version of "Paradise City" by Guns N Roses that I have ever seen.

To this day, I love Gun N Roses, I love Scott Murphy, a...more
midnightfaerie
I read James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl with my five year old. We had just finished Charlotte's Web and I was looking for chapter books I could enjoy as well. And I knew we had the movie so we could watch it when we were done. It turned out to be a great choice. Dahl uses the cliffhanger method at the end of almost every one of his chapters, and each chapter is only a page or two long. That combined with great illustrations, made for a win-win situation. I often ended a chapter only to ha...more
Amy Talluto
Aug 24, 2007 Amy Talluto rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
A funny, dark and poetic book. I read this after seeing a documentary about Roald Dahls' life and hearing some of the book's passages narrated within the perspective of his time cramped up in a WWII bomber plane as a bombardier (he was very tall). The peach represents the polar opposite of being in a noisy and clattering war plane, manning a gun and always under the threat of death. The peach is a peaceful, sweet and quiet flying machine.
Patrick
I'm going to be completely honest here. I didn't like this book.

Usually, if I don't care for a book, I keep schtum about it here. Not only is it not as much fun to talk about books I didn't like, but bad-mouthing other author's books is pretty rude.

But, given that Dahl has passed on, and a fair number of people ask me for book recommendations for their kids. I figured I'd chime in with my opinion about this one.

I recently read it with my son, and while it wasn't *awful,* it was just... Meh. I...more
Jeanette
I've never visited Central Park, but if I ever do, I'll be watching for the giant peach pit where James Henry Trotter settled happily after his wild excursion.

I knew I liked this book as a kid but I couldn't remember the details of the story. The thing that stayed in my mind all these years was the feeling of claustrophobia when James makes his way inside the peach and finds all the giant, friendly creepy-crawlies inside the peach pit. As a kid you always place yourself within the story, and I...more
Farah
Membaca buku ini membuat gue kelaparan setengah mati.
Karena gue membayangkan buah peach kalengan raksasa, dengan warna oranye yang mengilap, tekstur buah yang lembut, air gula yang lengket, serta kadar gula yang sangat tinggi dan sanggup membunuh seekor brontosaurus karena terserang diabetes melitus secara mendadak.
Atau brontosaurusnya hidup tapi cuma boleh makan kentang rebus seumur hidup.
Tapi gapapa, karena brontosaurus cuma makan sayuran.
Tapi selama beberapa tahun kedepan, si brontosaurusn...more
mark monday
used to dream of being James. had my special favorites amongst all the talking insects, but really they were all my favorites. also used to look at animal encyclopedias and write lists of my favorite animals. then I'd imagine going on an Incredible Journey with them. animals are so much better than people!
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Oh, childhood, Roald Dahl takes me right back. I will always love Roald Dahl's work, because of how much these books meant to me as a kid, not that they're not fun now, of course, but the experience really is not quite the same. Unlike with a lot of my childhood reads, dimmed to hazy memories, I have a strong recollection of my first time reading James and the Giant Peach. Much as I loved Roald Dahl (personal favorites being the BFG, The Witches, Boy, and Matilda), I dreaded reading this book, p...more
Lou
Dahl's imagination and writing skill is masterful. He transports many of us to wonderful fun worlds of adventure and peculiarity with characters that every child would love to meet. A conjurer of great bedtime stories and memories of being young and learning to read those first books.
He must be thee most famous writer. This tale of a boy escaping two bad ladies into a world of make believe via a giant peach is full of fun and thrilling moments. His writing so well done, the vocabulary at times i...more
Lucy
I shouldn't be allowed to read classic children's literature. My brain simply doesn't appreciate its intended purpose - creativity, imagination, fantasy. Instead, I wonder, "What's the point here?" Sometimes, there is a point, but I think with Ronald Dahl, the focus is placed on the magic and if there happens to be a story in there somewhere in it..so be it.

I borrowed it from the library because it was on the most-commonly-banned-books-in-America shelf and I wondered how the author of Charlie an...more
Andrea
Dec 13, 2007 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those that refuse to grow up
I grew up with a swelling admiration for Roald Dahl. I read everything and anything he would write until I was quoting text word for word. James and the Giant Peach was the one I treasured the most. I lived through the so lovely and ever innocent James as I did with almost every other adorable character Dahl went on to create.
David
Nov 03, 2008 David rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any child or anyone young at heart
Recommended to David by: My 4th grade teacher
This book was a highlight of my childhood, I remember it fondly and I look forward to reading it to my kids. Great imagery, great rhythm, great story for anyone who has ever felt lonely and wanted to escape to somewhere magical and wonderful. A giant peach is as good as any place. Highly recommended.
Justine
In the Pantheon that is Roald Dahl, I find that James and the Giant Peach gets the shaft. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention it as their favorite, but after this most recent read, I've decided that Dahl's Odyssey includes some of the best parts of his writing. It is eerily bizarre, wonderfully imaginative, and filled with imagery that I still remember from the first time I read it.

Tips Of My Hat:
~James is a cool-ass kid. The poverty/orphan combo that Dahl uses to play up how much we l...more
Katie
If you are ever having a particularly bad day, I recommend that you steer yourself, as soon as possible, towards the children or young adult section of your local library.

I took this advice this past Saturday, spurred on by a bad mood, a recent conversation with a friend and Roald Dahl, and a recent comment thread here on Goodreads recommending books for young, intelligent readers. It was amazing how much fun it was to leave the library with a stack of ten-odd books, a mix of old favorites (hel...more
Nikki
Today is a day for revisiting old favourites, clearly. I have an excuse, I swear! I'm doing 20th Century Children's Lit next semester (for lack of decent medieval courses I haven't already taken, murr). So this is all relevant, right?

Anyway, it's amazing how this book makes things as scary as giant insects fun and reassuring. It didn't work in general, but I was rather fond of Miss Spider. I smiled at the tiny bit of education about insects and their uses that gets worked into the story...

My fav...more
Emily
This book always scared me when I was younger. I also remember being terrified by the stop-motion movie (which in retrospect seems ridiculous, but what can you do).

James' aunts are horribly frightening, as are most of Dahl's adult villains. I was also not into insects as a child. The idea of James in a peach with enormous bugs was not very palatable, and the ending - the peach house, right? - seems grotesque.

I do enjoy these aspects of Dahl (the adult villains, the surreal plots), but I've nev...more
D.G.
**3.5 stars**

Really, really cute story of a child that finds some unusual friends and adventures. I laughed out loud several times, specially with the centipede. If you're going to read this to your children though, just note that at some point the peach is confused with a giant bomb which is something you may want to keep in mind given the news lately. It's solved quickly and all ends well but I figured I should warn you anyway.

Jeremy Irons was simply WONDERFUL with the narration. It gave me th...more
Debbie
James Henry Trotter, whose parents were killed by a stampeding rhino, is stuck with his wicked aunts. His life changes forever when he meets an old man who gives him some magic crystals, which he is supposed to drink. Before he can follow the old man's instructions, he trips and spills the crystals under a withered peach tree.

Soon, the tree grows the most enormous peach ever and the aunts make a bunch of money selling tickets to see it. James finds a hidden tunnel that leads to the center of th...more
Nicole Cushing
While in the midst of reading some "heavier", more sophisticated grown-up fare, I took a break to give myself my first ever experience with reading Roald Dahl (Borders was selling a Dahl boxed set for half-off, and I had to go ahead and buy it).

I never read Dahl as a child -- I'm not sure why. Maybe he just wasn't in vogue then...I really don't even remember seeing his books on the shelves when I was little.

But better late than never. This episodic adventure of a boy and his mutant fruit proved...more
FREEBIRD
What a terrific story! I read this aloud to two girls, aged 7 and 5, and both of them absolutely adored it. This book is full of fun humor that young children will understand and laugh at, good lessons, adorable artwork and it even throws out the word "ass" a few times. ;) I have to applaud Mr. Dahl for writing a book that feels as if you're reading a modern day fairy tale and for taking creatures that most people dislike (in this case, insects) and turning them into lovable, loyal and fabulous...more
Kelsey Stewart
My third grade teacher, Mrs. Stern (who was ironically not that at all), read this story aloud to the class over the course of a week or so. And I so looked forward to those precious twenty minutes of utter abandon into a fictitious world. There was something in her voice and her manner of reading that produced a gravitational pull capable of reigning in the full attention of twenty some odd antsy eight year olds. I can't really say if there's anything particular about the actual story that made...more
Sandy Tjan
4 stars from my little girl, Jess (age 7).

Comments while reading:

"How come his parents are killed by that rhino? Why did the zoo let him escape?"

"The aunts are soo UGLY!"

"I think the centipede doesn't really have 100 legs, but we only think that he does. He's a pest anyway."

"So, all the soil in this world is made of worm poop? Yuck, that's gross!"

"Okay. So Miss Spider is useful because she catches bad insects like mosquitos and flies, but I don't want her to make webs all over my bedroom. It's...more
April
I like to start off my participation in every Dewey 24 Hour Readathon by reading a Roald Dahl book. My first book for the April 2013 Readathon was James And The Giant Peach. Of course, because I am lazy as heck, I’ve waited until September to review this whimsical, awesome book that was one of my childhood favorites. Also? Remember the movie? That was so awesome and I think I need to revisit it like right now and you know put my review off for even LONGER! Anyways, first things first, I totally...more
Sarah Churchill
I don't know how I'd made it almost 30 years in this world without reading, watching or really knowing anything much about the story of James and the Giant Peach. It feels like I've broken some kind of law. Anyhow, I'm glad I've finally read it, and it definitely put a smile on my face :)
Undrakh Ganzorig
Another marvellous story of Roald Dahl. While reading, I found myself laughing out a loud; it's better than any comedy or so-called thing on mass media. I once saw its movie/cartoon on TV, but it wasn't that funny as far as I can remember. Just a little boy talking to over-sized insects and floating on a peach. But the book of that was a SHEER JOY TO READ :)
You will be introduced to an arrogant Centipede who has great sense of humor and a Earthworm who is happy only when he's gloomy. And what a...more
Maryellen
I listen to this on cd with Waverly (and Henry a bit). Jermey Irons's reading is great - he does all these crazy voices.

Peter got it for the kids for Christmas, and I was nervous because I remembered this as being really scary and strange. Its a little harsh (the mean Aunts get squished and centipede at one point recites a poem revelling in this fact), but it is such a great story and so well read and the harshness doesn't seem to bother the kids (I'm not sure that's a good thing, but there it...more
elyse
james and the giant peach is one of my favorite books. it's one of my comfort books, if i'm having a bad day, or if i'm feeling like a pick me up it's definitely one of the ones i go to. i even have a first edition from my grandma's house.

james is a lonely little boy until the day a strange old man gives him a bag full of magic. sadly james loses the magic before he can work it on himself and he believes all is lost...and then he realizes that it isn't. love love love love love.
Qt
I'd probably give this 3 1/2 stars....I could never decide if I thought it was just strange, in a fairy-tale way, or charming and humorous. Some of both, I guess! I don't think the illustrations in my version helped; I found them pretty creepy, which kind of colored my impression of the rest of the book. (I would have preferred Quentin Blake's pictures.) Still, it was nice to finally read this children's classic, and I thought James's insect friends were funny and amusing.
Cesar
This book is about a family, the mom and dad and a son named James, who live a hard life on the beach. There life may have been hard, but it was very happy. One day they went for a walk along the beach for fun, when along came a rhinoceros. The rhinoceros suddenly attacked the family, eating the mom and the dad. James was very sad because he lost both of his parents. James, being alone, was forced to live with his uncles, who treated him badly. They made him work very hard and gave him very bad...more
Lisa
James And The Giant Peach, by Roald Dahl
★★★ and a ½ (round up to 4)

Synopsis: When James accidentally drops some magic crystals by the old peach tree, strange things start to happen. The peach at the top of the tree begins to grow, and before long it's as big as a house. When James discovers a secret entranceway into the fruit and crawls inside, he meets wonderful new friends--the Old-Green-Grasshopper, the dainty Ladybug, and the Centipede of the multiple boots. After years of feeling like an ou...more
First book in childhood I remember loving. What's yours? 108 236 Apr 28, 2014 08:47AM
James and the Giant Peach 22 106 Mar 28, 2014 08:32PM
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 0679880909 2 165 Feb 02, 2014 11:16AM
James and the Giant Peach 1 10 Dec 03, 2013 09:51PM
James and the Giant Peach? 8 59 Jul 16, 2013 03:01PM
  • The Indian in the Cupboard (The Indian in the Cupboard, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)
  • Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Box Set
  • The Trumpet of the Swan
  • Blubber
  • Sideways Stories From Wayside School (Wayside School #1)
  • The Enormous Egg
  • In the Night Kitchen
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Boxcar Children 1-4 (The Boxcar Children, #1-4)
  • Rinkitink in Oz (Oz, #10)
  • The Borrowers (The Borrowers, #1)

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a...more
More about Roald Dahl...
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) Matilda The BFG The Witches The Twits

“I'd rather be fried alive and eaten by Mexicans.” 128 likes
“My dear young fellow,' the Old-Green-Grasshopper said gently, 'there are a whole lot of things in this world of ours you haven't started wondering about yet.” 68 likes