Start by marking “Murder Runs in the Family: A Southern Sisters Mystery” as Want to Read:
Murder Runs in the Family: A Southern Sisters Mystery

Murder Runs in the Family: A Southern Sisters Mystery (Southern Sisters #3)

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  2,047 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
Mary Alice has spared nothing for her only daughter's wedding -- from seventy-five yards of bridal train to gourmet food for over three hundred guests and enough glittering elegance to make Mary Alice think about finding herself a fourth rich husband to pay for it all. Practical Patricia Anne has put away her aunt-of-the-bride blue chiffon and settled back into domesticity ...more
Published February 24th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Murder Runs in the Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Runs in the Family

Cheryl Cooper
Oct 05, 2014 Cheryl Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sisters are at it again. Getting involved in another murder that is "none of their business". I love the banter between the two sisters as it is so true to life. Reminds me of me and my sister. I really like this lighthearted, funny, easy to read series and plan on reading the rest of them.
Pam
Oct 20, 2007 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#3 in the Southern Sisters series. Meg, a genealogist fakes her own death, to cover-up the subsequent murder of her former husband Judge Bobby Haskins & frames fellow family-tree professional Gerogiana Peach. Love the Southern Sisters.
Diane Perry
Oct 14, 2014 Diane Perry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Funny! This is just pure fluff and fun! The perfect escape on a bad day! I love the Sisters!
Trisha
Sep 10, 2015 Trisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was pretty cute. I like cozy mysteries so this one was perfect. Audio book narrator was wonderful too!
Dawn
Apr 16, 2008 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book from Anne George. I really do like this series of books. I will be sad when I read the last book.
Esme
Nov 01, 2012 Esme rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Bemerkenswert an diesem Buch ist für mich lediglich der Umstand, es zu Ende gelesen zu haben. Dafür gibt es keinen Grund. Die Southern Sisters sind zwei ungleiche Schwestern in den Sechzigern. Patricia Anne, die Ich-Erzählerin, ist klein und zierlich, die ein wenig ältere Mary Alice, groß und schwer. Das sind die auffälligsten Unterschiede zwischen ihnen, alles andere wird lediglich gesagt, jedoch nicht untermauert. Die Schwestern sind ziemlich langweilig und keinesfalls pfiffige Senioren, die s ...more
Teresa Collins
Jun 28, 2013 Teresa Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Number 3 in the Southern Sisters Mysteries is just as delightful as the two preceding ones were. The basic premise is the same-a murder occurs, the sisters get involved when they never should be because it's NONE of their business, but they don't seem to be able to help themselves. In the end they catch the guilty person with one of them being hurt in the process. This time it is a well-known genealogist who is our murder victim. With many twists and turns the guilty party is brought to justice ...more
buchtrunken
Feb 07, 2011 buchtrunken rated it liked it
Anne George hat mehrere Bücher über die beiden detektivisch veranlagten Schwestern aus Birmingham verfasst. Welcher Band "Mörderische Familienbande" ist, weiß ich nicht, aber er ist definitiv nicht der erste.
Wie so oft besteht bei den Fortsetzungen aus Buchreihen die Gefahr, dass man nicht in die Story hineinkommt, weil einem mehr oder weniger wichtige Hintergrundinfos fehlen oder man - wie in diesem Fall - mit den zahlreichen Namen und Familienzugehörigkeiten durcheinander kommt.
Lässt man dies
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Pr Latta
Third in the Southern Sisters cozy mystery series - it is helpful to begin with Murder on a Girls Night Out as an introduction to the series and the characters (retired school teacher and her older sister). The characters and the mystery are classic Anne George in their Southern-style humor and well-laid out plot (the breadcrumbs left don't make it a complete surprise). The genealogy twist is nice but the story is beginning to feel dated (DOS computing references may puzzle any younger readers w ...more
Anna Dalhaimer Bartkowski
I loved the relationship between the two sisters, Patricia Anne (Mouse) and Mary Alice. Their conversation and thoughts are hardly fiction. Anne George builds great characters who experience the "addictiveness" of genealogy in a fun mystery.

The relationsnhip of Mary Alice and Patricia Anne is true sisterhood as described on page 240. "An hour later, as I was going to my car, I heard Sister say, "Mouse?" I looked back to see her silhouettd in the door. 'You really are adopted, you know."'

I hope
Pooch
Apr 26, 2008 Pooch rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author, Anne George exaggerates Southern culture to bring two sisters to life in her cozy mystery series. Set in Birmingham, Alabama, Murder Runs in the Family refers to many local sites that particularly engages readers who live or have visited there. Of course there's a crime to solve amidst the rollicking adventures of Patricia Anne, Mary Alice and their friends. With characters as Bonnie Blue Butler, George and Gerorgianna Peach, and Shanklette Ferguson, you know there are some laugh-out-lou ...more
Barb
Jun 07, 2011 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to put up this same review for the entire series. Instead of reading this set of books, I listened to the audiobook versions of the entire series. The series is about a couple of sisters that bumble onto murders and wind up solving them. I don't know if it's the books, or the reader that I liked the most. By the time I had finished a couple of the books, I felt like the reader and the characters were old friends. The stories are light, easy to follow, and not terribly complex, but to m ...more
Jan
Apr 12, 2010 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patricia Ann (Mouse) and Mary Alice (Sister) meet Meg, a geneologist, at the wedding of Mary Alice's daughter. Later they meet her for lunch which is interupted by another friend of Meg's. Meg steps away to investigate some geneological mystery and ends up taking a nose dive from the 10th floor of the Birmingham courthouse. Was is suicide or did Meg have a little help?

These Southern Sisters Mysteries are so much fun. The characters are really taking shape by this installment. The mystery is almo
Luann
Jul 16, 2008 Luann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, adult, 2011
I always enjoy visiting the world of the Southern Sisters! I particularly liked the genealogical aspect of this one. Such a fun idea as a motive for murder!

I've decided that I enjoy the later books in the series more than the earlier (this one is number three), but that doesn't mean that they aren't all worth reading. I have just one more to go and then I will have read them all. Sad! But I'm thinking it would be fun to revisit them again sometime - and this time read them in publication order
Joanna
Mar 14, 2009 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patricia Anne is a lovable old lady that gets caught up in murder without even trying. She is simply trying to be kind and help people out and somehow foils the murders plans. She takes the easy road to cooking like I would do. I love how she makes grammar corrections right when I am thinking them and criticizes her sister Mary Alice and she just doesn't get it. I want to go to Birmingham to see the statue of Vulcan and his naked backside.
Beth Haren
Jan 25, 2016 Beth Haren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please see my review on Murder Boogies with Elvis (the last Southern Sisters Mystery) for my actual review. I elected to review the series rather than each individual book because they went so fast.

This was the third and made me laugh and remember family members. Total bubblegum, but good downtime read. I liked the genealogy aspects. I wish she'd done more with the dirty family secrets instead of the interpersonal romance drama.
Peggy Sinden
This murder adventure was not as interesting as some of Ms. George's other book about the Southern Sisters. It was read 'out of order' and did fill in some of the blanks as to who was who but it just never seemed to go anywhere. Even the death of Meg as a jumper was not a big surprise to hear she was not the corpse at the beginning of the storyline and it was not a big bit of infomation at the end.
April Suter
Aug 13, 2013 April Suter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Three:
At Mary Alice's daughter's wedding, the sister's meet the groom's relative that dies the next day. She was a genealogist and Mouse learns more at the library to help solve this murder case. Sister is on the prowl for husband number 4 and Patricia Anne's widowed daughter meets an older man at the wedding. Fred is there taking care of his business and shaking his head at Sister's antics and his wife's tendency in getting involved with unstable people.

264 pages
Bridget Murphy
3.5 This was one of those get stranded on an island, with nothing but your bathing suit and and it starts raining so you grab a book from the only stores "left behind shelf". I found it very entertaining and would read another one it less than forcing circumstances as well. That being said I think my mom would love it.
Wendy
Jun 30, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful book in the Southern Sisters Mystery series. This series is so much fun to read. The relationship between Mouse and Sister is hilarious and touching. In this book we get to meet more of the extended family which of course is fun. A good mystery and a wonderfully entertaining read.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, cozy
I loved the Southern Sisters mystery series. It's set in Birmingham, Alabama, with two sisters who have to solve a murder. One lives on one side of Vulcan and the other on the other. Go to Birmingham to see the statue.

If you are a cozy fan, these well developed characters and good plot-lines will be a series for you.
Chris
Jun 07, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, nonfiction, mystery
Patricia Anne gets involved in murder investigations again, just by being the polite Southern gal she is. As well as a good business opportunity - especially in the South - Patricia Anne finds that the dog-eat-dog world of geneology can lead to murder, blackmail and false documentation. And thereby hangs a tale.
Lauri Saplad
My favorite mystery series of all time! I love the Southern Sisters! Very clever and funny, you feel like you've known Patricia Anne & Mary Alice for years -- or maybe like they're your own wacky aunts! They just have away of politely blundering into dangerous situations. In this episode, it's the dog-eat-dog world of professional genealogy. You just never know!
Susan
Aug 22, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, mystery, family, cozy
Very fun mystery. Unusual in that the sisters never choose to get involved exactly, they are just trying to be polite to out-of-town company/relations who came to a family wedding. One of the older ladies apparently falls out of 10th floor window, and the sisters are just trying to comfort the relations as the rest of the plot unfolds. I really liked this one. The humor is much more pronounced.
Patti
I really enjoy this series; it's great for rereading at bedtime. This entry I liked, but didn't love--I'm not sure why.

This series is well done, with good, interesting mysteries that are well-set in the South. Not to take anything away from that, Patricia Ann and Mary Alice do give me good giggles before I fall asleep :).
Moon Stumpp
Feb 28, 2012 Moon Stumpp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the entire series of 8 books on audio so the books for me were like one very long book. So I will review the entire series. Listening to them on audio was a joy…I laughed myself silly a couple of times. Mouse and Sister’s adventures will put a smile on your face, no matter what age you are.
Connie
Jun 19, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book was entertaining! The book had a murder, but included humor and one of my favorite hobbies, genealogy. This is the first of the Southern Sisters books I have read, but I will definitely look for more.
Beth
Jan 08, 2017 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series

I am rereading this series and enjoying each one again. Living in the Birmingham area has made the series even more interesting to me. The sisters are great characters and he setting and plots great fun
Stephanie
Apr 01, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still fun

I read this series when it first came out, and really enjoyed reading it. So when I saw it for the Kindle, I decided to re-read it. Some of the technology mentioned is terribly out of date, but that is the only flaw I could see. This is still a fun series to read.
  • Who Let That Killer in the House? (Thoroughly Southern, #5)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • Murder Can Spoil Your Appetite (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #7)
  • Down the Garden Path
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • The Maggody Militia (Arly Hanks, #10)
  • Buried Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #2)
  • Murder By the Book (Megan Clark, #5)
Anne Carroll George was an American author and poet. She was Alabama's 1994 state poet. George died in 2001 of heart surgery complications.

Anne George was an Agatha Award-winner and a former Alabama State Poet. She was a cofounder of the Druid Press, and a regular contributor to literary and poetry publications. She was nominated for several awards, including the Pulitzer for a book of verse entit
More about Anne George...

Southern Sisters (8 books)
  • Murder on a Girls' Night Out (Southern Sisters, #1)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters, #2)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters, #4)
  • Murder Gets a Life (Southern Sisters, #5)
  • Murder Shoots the Bull (Southern Sisters, #6)
  • Murder Carries a Torch (Southern Sisters, #7)
  • Murder Boogies with Elvis (Southern Sisters, #8)