Start by marking “The Artist's Way Workbook” as Want to Read:
The Artist's Way Workbook

The Artist's Way Workbook

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  659 ratings  ·  54 reviews
For the millions of people who have uncovered their creative selves through the "Artist's Way" program-a workbook and companion to the international bestseller.
Alife-changing twelve-week program, "The Artist's Way" has touched the lives of millions of people around the world. Now, for the first time, fans will have this elegantly designed and user-friendly volume for use
Published September 1st 2006 by Tarcher

To ask other readers questions about The Artist's Way Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Artist's Way Workbook

Pat Jennings
I believe this is the quintessential book for all creatives. Julia Cameron wisely guides the novice to the seasoned artist through the ups and downs of making art. Whether it be writing, screen plays, directing, acting, music makers, painters, whatever kind of creative soul you are, the issues of fear of failure, dry spells, relevance are addressed along with many activities which uncover the underlying hang ups that derail many artists. This is the second time I have read this book. The second ...more
Natasha (Diarist) Holme
Apr 27, 2012 Natasha (Diarist) Holme rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who do their homework
Recommended to Natasha (Diarist) by: A friend
Got this for my birthday from a friend. Took it on holiday to read. Discovered it was a book of exercises to be completed over months. So, I'd backed myself into a corner. I always do all my homework, and I did every last bit of this. Didn't skip a morning page, went on all my artist's dates, etc. I got some good fun out of it. Most memorable artist's date: I flew an airplane.
Jessi MotherFucking Ross
I put off reading this book for 15 years because of the God stuff, but now that I'm open to spirituality I was able to read it and be open to many of the ideas. That said, the spiritual flavor isn't right for me. To me, the spirituality in this book comes across as generic and is hard to connect with because it seems watered down, generalized, and not authentic. The morning pages (for me) are the most useful thing that came from this book. I did find some insights in the chapters, but the artist ...more
Jennifer Smith
I first attempted this in 1999, but barely started. This last June I decided that it was time to take a second crack at it and I am so very glad that I did. Not only was the daily writing a wonderful exercise, but she thoroughly attacks any excuse one has to not create. Her tasks are grounded in creative visualization as well as practicality. I recommend this to any kind of artist who finds themselves "stuck".
This is a 12 week program into more fully releasing your creativity. I just finished week 1 and must say I did not expect it to be as powerful as it was. I'm looking forward to the next 11 weeks and to whom I am becoming as an artist. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to write, draw, paint, sing, whatever your chosen method of creating...It requires a commitment, and it's worth it.
Uwe Hook
You do not need to be an artist in the sense of a gifted painter, sculptor, writer, musician, etc. to enjoy this book. We are all artists in that each of us designs, creates and shapes our own future. We make the choices that will determine where our paths will lead. The only limitations we have are those we place on ourselves.
Julia Cameron makes the journey a little smoother by helping us rid ourselves of life's negative emotions - fear, jealousy, guilt, limited beliefs, etc. While the book mak
Dan Charnas
I read this book all the way through because I found the author's ideas to ring true with me. Now, I'll be returning to it to fulfill on the creativity exercises provided at the end of each of the twelve chapters.
The author was greatly influenced by her experience with AA, and the philosophy of a strong belief in God, the self-affirmations, and the reflections you are asked to make about what might be blocking you and why were inspiring to me. (There are 12 chapters in the book - not a coinciden
Andrea Judy
The spirituality new-age type feel of this made it a struggle for me at points. Some of the sections are also ridiculously repetitive, telling the same thing over and over.
This workbook contains a 12 week program to reignite your creativity, and I think some of the exercises are great. I'm particularly a fan of morning pages (big shout out to 750 words!) and liked some of the exercises to unleash your inner creator.
That said, I really didn't like how the creative side was continuously spoken a
Toni Apicelli
I have read the book that goes with this workbook more than once to jumpstart my writing and have always found it useful. I like using the workbook for the same purpose. The book is a necessity. The workbook is a nice tool as well.
Muneeb Iqbal
In the start this book was boring for me as I grade my self as very logical person and not into art or some thing (at least i used to think before this book). This book forced me to think more about my self and I think either you are logical or what ever your mbti type is or your personality is you are an artist in what ever you do and there are many creative killing points for you. Creativity is not easy; similarly you are so involved in your life that u don't give time to pamper your self but ...more
Susan Botich
Even though I finished this amazing workbook a few weeks ago (it's a 12-week course book), it's still difficult for me to say fully how I feel about the course/workshop. This book is a very comprehensive workbook focused on helping the reader open his/her creative potential. Each of the 12 chapters is a week's worth of varying tasks and exercises, sometimes feeling a bit daunting to me. But, then again, the goal of the workbook is to get the reader/participant to engage in creative thinking, att ...more
Somewhere around Chapter Nine, my reading of this book trailed off and life took over - in a good way. The book did me an enormous amount of good, and I recommend it to anyone who's in an existential crisis about their creative work and who doesn't mind encountering the word "God" from a Christian world-view. I may come back to it again. It took me places I didn't think I would go, and I feel clearer and stronger now than I did before reading it. Affirmations are one of the primary tools used he ...more
Dec 19, 2009 Maria is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I am very resistant to The Artists Way, particularly on account of what I have heard about the morning pages. However, I am looking for ways to add some structure to my creative life and there don't seem to be resources dedicated to actors. Besides, I love workbooks. They carry such a sense of accomplishment.

I've been working with this book for about 6 weeks now and am really enjoying it. The language is ridiculously new-agey but writing 3 pages in the morning is really fantastic. There is also
Donna McFadden
Great book to get one started or moving on the creative process. Cameron's exercises are simple, but with purpose.
Great not only for artist but for people who feel creatively blocked in life.
Mary Gombas
Great book! Going to start the 12 week program now.
A very spiritual book. It's a self-journey as much as a writer's journey through the blocks and rubble that get in the way. I took a wee bit longer than 3 months but it worked very well indeed to help my find my way on the other-side of the planet and my way back to my happy scribbling.
My next step is to go back and read and work with the exercises in the book again, and the raw material in my morning pages.
I had such a huge block- past tense. Happy to have this book in my mental toolbox :)
Sherri Dub
Great companion to the actual book. This is a 12 week commitment of time, but it will teach you a lifetime's worth of lessons to apply to your own art. I'm going to tell everyone about this book, if they inquire about being stuck or blocked. Ms. Cameron really knows her stuff. She's tough, but she gets the best out of you, making you want to get it all down on the morning pages.
When I started reading I thought "this is to out there for me", but I stuck to it and I really got use to her style of writing. The twelve-week-programme to release your inner artist is really quite impactful. Great book to gain more insight into your relationship with artistry and creativity.
Julia does a fantastic work in guiding anybody with interest in any type of artistic interest to reach their goals...some of the exercises can be tedious...but anything worth working towards usually does involve discipline and repetition...thank you julia for inspiring me to grow <3
This was a good way to get back in touch with my creative side. I regularly do journals, but this was more about examining some issues and figuring out my own voice. I liked the idea of doing something each week for myself, which isn't always easy for me to do.
Very funky dunky, did I mention New Age-y (yikes!) I actually tossed it. I was invited by a member of my writer's group to delve in; however the methodoligies do not align with my prerogatives which I do want to align with those of the Almighty God.
This book has blank pages for one to complete assignments noted in The Artist's Way Book. When one completes "Dates" with one's inner child, growth in creativity and self esteem is possible. A necessary companion to the first book.
May McGoldrick
Over the years I've gone through her steps of writing free hand three pages a day and twenty minutes walks and the once a week journey. I believe there's a total affect in my attitude about life any time I go through with it.
May 30, 2008 Valerie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Keenan
The projects and recommendations are time-consuming and may not necessarily be useful to every artist's practice, but Cameron provides a "way in" to the unconscious mind and creative power for those willing to go on the journey.
So far this book has been amazing for me... I'm getting past a lot of the emotional shit that keeps me from creating, mostly by incorporating accountability into my every day. I'll write more when I've completed the book.
I tried to read this book many years ago but I wasn't ready for it. But now that my creativity has bit the dust, reading it really transformed the way I look at every day and the way I look at the creative process.
I was first introduced to this one in a college course at MSU. Loved the clas, and was inspired by the book/text. I love the ideas to enhance creativity. I use it in teaching creative writing to high school students.
Using the workbook really helped me stay on track with the three pages a day task. It kept everything organized at a time when I was feeling pretty disorganized. I recommend using this resource support.
  • The How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci Workbook: Your Personal Companion to How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci
  • The Artist's Way at Work: Riding the Dragon
  • Foolsgold: Making Something from Nothing and Freeing Your Creative Process
  • The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life
  • The Creativity Cure: A Do-It-Yourself Prescription for Happiness
  • My Prescription for Anti-Depressive Living
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies
  • Creative Is a Verb: If You're Alive, You're Creative
  • Think Like Da Vinci: 7 Easy Steps to Boosting Your Everyday Genius
  • 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity
  • One Continuous Mistake: Four Noble Truths for Writers
  • The Greatness Guide: 101 Lessons for Making What's Good at Work and in Life Even Better
  • Getting the Words Right
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
  • How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist: Selling Yourself Without Selling Your Soul
  • Borrowing Brilliance: The Six Steps to Business Innovation by Building on the Ideas of Others
Julia Cameron has been an active artist for more than thirty years, with fifteen books (including bestsellers The Artist's Way, Walking In This World and The Right to Write) and countless television, film, and theater scripts to her credit. Writing since the age of 18, Cameron has a long list of screenplay and teleplay credits to her name, including an episode of Miami Vice, and Elvis and the Beau ...more
More about Julia Cameron...

“It is always necessary to acknowledge creative injuries and grieve them. Otherwise, they become creative scar tissue and block your growth.” 0 likes