Start by marking “The Art & Craft of Fiction: A Practitioner's Manual” as Want to Read:
The Art & Craft of Fiction: A Practitioner's Manual

The Art & Craft of Fiction: A Practitioner's Manual

Based on Mixon's work as a successful independent fiction editor, The Art & Craft of Fiction: A Practitioner's Manual brings together in one place everything you need to know about writing a novel, an in-depth exploration of the myriad aspects of creating fiction in a warm, entertaining voice that welcomes you into the greater fellowship of all writers.

Be sure to clic
Published March 31st 2010 by La Favorita Press

To ask other readers questions about The Art & Craft of Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art & Craft of Fiction

K.M. Weiland
Sep 13, 2011 K.M. Weiland rated it really liked it
Most of us read writing how-to books for the cold hard facts. We’re searching for some nugget handed down to us by in-the-know people that will transform us into prodigies or bestseller s—preferably both. (Actually, if I had a nickel for every cold, hard, dry, and deadly tome on the craft I’ve slogged through, I wouldn’t need to be a bestseller.) But longtime editor Victoria Mixon’s book offers much more than cold hard facts—it offers a hilarious, engaging read that would be worth the effort of ...more
Roz Morris
Jun 29, 2011 Roz Morris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-writers
I have a friend from colleg who should have been writing novels years ago. It's one of those traits you recognise - a certain way of understanding a character, a flair with language.
This book by Victoria Mixon is going to be my next birthday present to her.
Victoria Mixon takes books we all hold dear in our hearts and analyses why the author set the traps they did, characterised in the way they did, switched the story arc in the way they did.
For readers who are now feeling their way as writers,
Anna Erishkigal
There are a lot of writer 'how-to' manuals out there these days, some good, most only so-so, and a whole lot outright harmful, but this one ranks up there as one of the more practical ones. First of all, Victoria Mixon is a bona fide DEVELOPMENTAL EDITOR, so Art & Craft of Fiction approaches your writing the way that an editor would, starting with the spark of the story, and then drills down into first plot & pacing, then into finer and finer layers such as dialogue and some line-editing ...more
Kristen Otte
Feb 11, 2012 Kristen Otte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Mixon's book is an excellent resource for aspiring and experienced fiction writers. She writes from a practical standpoint from her many years of various writing experience. There is plenty of great advice and useful tips on story structure, the creative process, developing characters, grammar and living as a writer. Besides the great information, she will make you laugh throughout the book. It's an enjoyable and helpful read for all fiction writers.
London
May 05, 2012 London rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Writers, Beginning Writers
Recommended to London by: K.M. Weiland
Shelves: writing, non-fiction
——The Review——

One of the frustrations when buying instructional books is determining if a book is written for someone of a similar skill level as yourself. In a break between writing, I spent five years teaching myself an extremely complex 3D program, Autodesk Maya. Once you learn the basics, finding new instructional materials becomes difficult. Much of what is written assumes very little knowledge. Sometimes a book called "Advanced Techniques" targets advanced beginners instead of people who h
David Fuller
Man, do I wish I'd appreciated earlier how liberating proper story structure is earlier. Like, say, seven drafts of my novel ago.
Victoria Mixon's book is a godsend for writers working on a novel in any genre. She outlines a basic structure for the whole novel in three acts, and then the structure of each, and then breaks that down into rough guidelines as to when in the MS everything appears -- and proceeds to show it at work in a parallel analysis of Edward Anderson's Thieves Like Us, James M.
Lara McKusky
Apr 22, 2011 Lara McKusky rated it it was amazing
Alright, I’m just gonna say it: Victoria Mixon is a genius. You can even assume I’m doing it in a sing-song voice.

I’ve read Donald Maass---invaluable. Instructive. I’ve read Betsy Lerner---engaging and funny. Victoria would be their love child. Donald Maass is definitely in teaching mode in his books and Betsy reveals a lot of the behind-the-scenes of publishing which is definitely informative, but Victoria’s book is a funny, instructive reference (and if I have just misused commas, it’s becaus
Cindy Dalfovo
Jun 17, 2011 Cindy Dalfovo rated it really liked it
I liked this book, it presents a lot of things that work, and some considerations about characters, plot, setting, point of view and even a chapter about parsing.

But it drags. A lot of the first pages are spent on saying that characters are important and they should be 3D and have real feelings and habits. Well, yeah, I already know that, it's quite simple and obvious to most people who have been writing for a while, I guess. No need to spend dozens of pages on that.

Other than that, it's an inte
Mindi Rosser
Sep 17, 2011 Mindi Rosser rated it really liked it
Here are my highlights from reading the Art and Craft of Fiction (2nd Edition) by Author Victoria A. Mixon. You can also watch my 2-minute-video-book review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1DrJ...

Favorite Section - definitely the revision sections. Her tips for revising the first draft would complement my own revision process seamlessly.

Not-So-Favorite Section - learning how to develop plot by analyzing not one BUT SIX stories simultaneously. Trying to follow all SIX plotlines put my brai
Lacey
Apr 09, 2016 Lacey rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
I didn't get much out of this book. To me it was mostly discussing the writings of other authors. I did like the information about grammer.
Scott Kennedy
Feb 21, 2012 Scott Kennedy rated it really liked it
An inspiring and useful book on writing, especially useful in its comparison of similarities in different plot model structures.
Scott Warrender
Scott Warrender rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2012
J.S.
Feb 14, 2013 J.S. rated it really liked it
Very colorfully written for a textbook.
Jschaefer
Jschaefer rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Richard Bravman
Richard Bravman rated it really liked it
May 12, 2012
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2016
Aaron Cohn
Aaron Cohn rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2016
Skipper Hammond
Skipper Hammond rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Susanne Dietze
Susanne Dietze rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015
Isabella Douglas
Isabella Douglas rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2012
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Suzanne Lilly
Suzanne Lilly rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2012
Harriet Smart
Harriet Smart rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2013
Cindy Rosen
Cindy Rosen rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Ruth Long
Ruth Long rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2011
Toby Downton
Toby Downton rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Lindah
Lindah rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Rachel S
Rachel S rated it really liked it
May 14, 2014
Lorel Clayton
Lorel Clayton rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Darlene Steelman
Darlene Steelman rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »

“What Hemingway really did right, though, was work at fiction as a craft to be learned thoroughly and painstakingly throughout his life.” 1 likes