Start by marking “A Hitchhiker's Guide to Jesus: Reading the Gospels on the Ground” as Want to Read:
A Hitchhiker's Guide to Jesus: Reading the Gospels on the Ground

A Hitchhiker's Guide to Jesus: Reading the Gospels on the Ground

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This imaginative approach to Jesus studies chronicles the journey of Norm, a fictional college graduate who travels to the Middle East to see if he can study Jesus and follow him at the same time, and if curiosity will make him a better disciple or no disciple at all.
Norm sets out on an adventure to investigate the New Testament and the life of Jesus for himself, hitchhik...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Baker Academic (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Hitchhiker's Guide to Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hitchhiker's Guide to Jesus

Michael
"A fictional account of a religious studies student going to the Middle East to investigate "where Jesus walked." I'm using this as a textbook in my Historical Jesus class in the spring. It's fun! Some of it is a little contrived, as the didactic purposes seem to override the narrative purposes. When one realizes that it was written by a biblical scholar rather than a novelist, one can forgive these "venial sins."" (12-24-12?)

The book seemed awfully rushed at the end, as Fisk brings up all these...more
Jocelyn
We'd like to know what Jesus was really like -- what he said and did. In the character of a graduate student traveling around Israel, Bruce Fisk examines the issues and cuts through the academic quagmire, winding up with some (to me) eminently reasonable conclusions. Extra bonus: sprinklings of Monty Python.
Jim Dressner
I wish I would have had textbooks like this when I was in seminary.

This book focuses on understanding the gospels while taking into account textual issues, other historical sources, and middle eastern culture. The fictional narrator, a recent graduate from seminary, travels through the "holy land", interacts with a wide array of characters, continues his research at libraries, and maintains a running Q&A with his seminary professor. This blend of information, comparing sources, multiple per...more
Callum Iles
Bruce N. Fisk is a likeable New Testament scholar currently serving as the Professor of Religious Studies at Westmont College, Santa Barbara.

A Hitchhiker’s Guide to Jesus is a fictional account of a young theological student hitchhiking his way around Jerusalem and its surroundings in search of the true Jesus and the meaning of His life. By comparing and contrasting the different gospels, and by embracing the differing and often heretical views on them, Fisk pieces together what was most likely...more
Lizzy
I had the privilege of helping Bruce edit this book while we traveled together in the Middle East. I cannot recommend it enough. It is an honest, insightful, and engaging read. It follows Norm (the main character) as he travels in the Middle East--his interactions, adventures, and his journey through Biblical and historical scholarship. Bruce Fisk encourages the 1st century and the 21st century speak to each other and that conversation will leave the reader changed.
Richard Brand
Perhaps one of the more entertaining ways to engage in Biblical study. I did not find anything new but the questions are raised in a very human way, and the answers are still as unsettled as ever. The hope that some study will remove the mystery from faith is strong, but it continues to encounter the reality that the only answers to those questions is faith. I think this is a much better exploration into the difficulties of the Bible than the stuff Bart Erhman does.
Brendyn
The beginning of the book makes the author sound like a jerk, and some of the information is hard to swallow. If you have strong faith in Christ read it. If you don't study this book with someone or with a group. The book ends with the conclusion that Jesus did come to this and and that the Gospels are reliable sources (as most of us know already).
Dave McNeely
This book is a wonderful wedding of fiction and New Testament scholarship that would be ideal for students interested in New Testament scholarship and how it shapes our everyday understanding of the New Testament and faith.
Krzysiek Troszczyński
Krzysiek Troszczyński marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Robyn Beck
Robyn Beck marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Liesel Reimer
Liesel Reimer marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Annabelle
Annabelle is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2014
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Amy
Amy is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2013
Craig Mcgrath
Craig Mcgrath marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Anna Meador
Anna Meador marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013
Dustin Curtis
Dustin Curtis marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
1 Corinthians Do You Not Remember?: Scripture, Story and Exegesis in the Rewritten Bible of Pseudo-Philo