Start by marking “The Sworn” as Want to Read:
The Sworn

The Sworn (Fallen Kings #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  2,498 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Summoner-King Martris Drayke must attempt to meet this great threat, gathering an army from a country ravaged by civil war. Tris seeks new allies from among the living - and the dead - as an untested generation of rulers face their first battle. Meanwhile, the legendary Dread are stirring in their burrows after millennia of silence and no one knows what hand wakes them and ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Sworn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sworn

Melanie
Feb 13, 2011 Melanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I read the introduction to this book and thought 'Wow! This could be a book in itself. I wonder why she hasn't written it?' It was then reading the author Q&As in the Extras section and found out that she had: a series of books which had intrigued me, but of which I'd been put off by a number of bad reviews I'd seen. In this section, Martin also says that this is a good place for people who haven't read the first series of books to join the characters.

I have to whole-heartedly disagree with
Blodeuedd Finland
I think this was a bit weird, I mean the last series took place just 6 months before this. At least make it 10, or 25 and have it about their kids or something. Let them fights some battles.

I am never awed by these books, yes I know that sounds bad, they are good, just never awesome. They are light, fast to read and since this is a two book series I will read book 2 even though I totally know it will not be awesome, but it will be good.

Right, so it has only been 6 months since that last series a
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
3 1/2

This book is marketed as "the beginning of a new adventure set in the world of the Chronicles of the Necromancer". It both is and isn't.

For the ways that it is, we are introduced to a few new characters, threats, and concepts which we haven't seen before. We also see more of the Winter Kingdoms, as the new threat is against the entirety of the Kingdoms as opposed to being internal issues, as the previous books were.

Another way in which this feels like a new adventure is that this book is pr
MissM
Apr 27, 2011 MissM rated it liked it
Shelves: nook, read-2011
This was a tough one. It hovers between 2.5 - 3 stars for me. I loved the first four books ("The Chronicles of the Necromancer") and this is really just an extension of that. (The author claims you can pick this up and start fresh if you never read the others but man do I disagree! It's really just Necromancer book 5 but with a different series title.) So, on one hand, I was happy to have more of this world. I like the characters and the setting is well worn in after four books.

On the other hand
Chelsea
Dec 22, 2010 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted at Vampire Book Club.

Gail Z. Martin knows how to craft big-scale fantasy. And she includes elements we adore: noble warriors, magic, vampires and werewolves. Martin is well-known for her Chronicles of the Necromancer series, and The Sworn is set as a gateway into that series for new readers.

The Fallen Kings Cycle series is set in the same world as Chronicles of the Necromancer with many of the same characters. The goal for this book was to allow new readers to j
Marleen
May 02, 2011 Marleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Copy received from and reviewed for Bookgeeks.

The Winter Kingdoms are a troubled place. A plague and famine scourge the lands, old problems and rivalries are either still around or resurfacing and an invasion is threatening from across the Northern Sea.
Several people in different parts of the kingdoms can feel the danger and are trying to investigate what exactly they are up against, and what they discover is deeply disturbing. Not only does the invasion appear to be headed by a traitor as well
Cynthia
SWORN, Gail Z. Martin, 2011
Book One of The Fallen Kings Cycle
We have the same characters as were in Chronicles, plus some new people.
Dark mage/s from across the Northern Sea threaten the Winter Lands. A group of Black Robes is trying to bring an old religion back to life. More trials and tribulations for our heroes.
I think the whole story is too much for one book, so SWORN gives us the background leading up to the war. The war is in the next book.
This is my second reading of this series.
I have t
Chris
Aug 29, 2011 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am really over this author. 5 books and she still hasn't found another way to talk about someone's hair without using the word "framed". Every word she invented for the universe gets italicized not once, but EVERY SINGLE TIME IT SHOWS UP. It's beyond annoying. I was really hoping she'd mature by now, but she hasn't. And I don't care much about what happens going forward, because so far it's pretty much the exact same arc as the first 4-book series.
Heather
I know the book says you don't have to The Summoner to get into this book, but, you really do. However, I couldn't get into The Summoner and Gail's writing is too basic for me to consider her a high fantasy author. I can also only take so many 21st century ideologies in a book that takes place during the 12th century before I have to stop.
Amber
Sep 30, 2010 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is as action packed as the previous novels! I loved that the new cycle is giving more insight into the pasts of the kingdoms and showing how much the characters are being forced to change due to circumstances in the plot. An excellent read! I hope the next one is out soon!
Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)
Review posted here: Offbeat Vagabond

Wow, this was better than I expected. Thanks to Netgalley, I had the pleasure to add this to my iPod. I must say, I have not had the pleasure of reading Gail Z. Martin's first series, Chronicles of the Necromancer, but I see why she is so popular in this genre. It was truly epic with all sort of supernatural beings that made it quite refreshing. I have never come across a series that was an epic fantasy that is full of zombies, demons, vampires, werewolves an
Lindsay Stares
I have only one quibble with The Sworn, but it's not a small one: it's not nearly as good a jumping-on point for this world as the marketing push would have you believe. If you are in the mood for some good epic fantasy, you might enjoy, as I did, the experience of catching up, but there is serious catching-up to do.

The author has written four previous books set in this world, dealing with most of the same characters. The prologue of The Sworn summarizes these books in a brain-numbing flood of n
Brandon Zarzyczny
Aug 26, 2012 Brandon Zarzyczny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read all of Martin's previous book, I welcomed a return to the world she created and it's characters. In an interview at the end of the book, the author says that this book would be a great spot to enter the series, but I disagree with her. While it's true that all of the enemies in this book are new, I think it would be a disservice to not read the previous books. The biggest reason for this is that, other than the very few new characters, none of the main characters evolve or change in ...more
Sam McManus
Apr 17, 2014 Sam McManus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Daniel
May 20, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really had to force myself to get through this book. The characters are introduced in a prologue that explains the past four books, but there is so much information laid out that it fails at its purpose. In one sense, I like Martin's writing, but in most cases I do not. It gets tiring reading the same italicized names for vampires and werewolves. Nothing here is original. We have a powerful king, a bard, villains who wear black robes and are a cult, a lame magic system, zombies, ghosts, vampir ...more
Darin
Feb 17, 2017 Darin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi_fantasy
meh.
J. Ostrowski
Not my preferred genre but why not try something new, I thought. I like long books. I'm trying hard not to let my disappointment color my view of the genre as a whole. The first installment in this series had a lot of potential. It was all downhill from there.

I have not read any other books by Martin but I got the impression past events mentioned in this book may have occurred in other books? And this is book 1 in the series? If that's not the case, then every time the past was mentioned, it was
Cody Gunnels
Apr 29, 2011 Cody Gunnels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sworn is an awesome addition to the winter kingdom books. It is the first of a new series called Forgotton Kings, and not part of Chronicles of the Necromancer. After reading each book, Gail Z. Martin only gets better and better, and I cannot wait for the next in the series,Dread, to come out. I am a little sad though because I will have to wait till next February when it comes out.
Sworn is an excellent book and is written so you do not have to read all the books up to it. It is a series after
Nicola
May 11, 2011 Nicola rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Sworn picks up where The Chronicles of the Necromancer left off. Tris and Kiara face concerns over the well being of their infant son. Jonmarc and Carina await the birth of their twin girls, while sheltering refugees from the plague and a new magical threat. Cam returns to Isencroft to help Donalin deal with the lingering threat of the Divisionalists. Tris's cousin Jair and his wife, Talwyn, of the Sworn join the cast of characters as a new threat looms on the horizon.

This book sets the stag
Bri
Dec 15, 2010 Bri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me longer than I thought it would take to get around to reading this. (didn't help that I got distraction half-way through the book).

I liked it, its got all of the elements that I liked from the previous four books, though it did take me about half of the book to really connect with the newly introduced characters. I kept on wanting to read about the others!

While this book may be considered one that can be read apart from the Chronicles of the Necromancer, I wouldn't suggest it. There are e
Grace
May 28, 2013 Grace rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Simply couldn't keep reading, I only got through the first 50 pages. The writing style really put me off, and I had no idea who anyone was, not to mention it was very hard to understand the characters as people because exactly what they felt of their personality was not really touched upon. It was just 'this person said this, this person did that'. I have no idea who they are or what they're like, is it so hard to flesh them out a bit first? I understand that this series is a follow on from anot ...more
cacinta
First off, I have never read anything by this author, so I was expecting something fresh. I didn't know she had written previous books set in the same world. And so, I was left wondering what exactly is happening when I started. I read a few chapters, but was unable to connect any of the scenes with each other, and the fight scenes were a lot of mumbo-jumbo.

However, this isn't the first time I've started a series from the middle. A few of them actually ended in my favourites pile.

With this tho
Vicki
Apr 07, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Winter Kingdoms face not only plague and famine, but invaders led by a dark spirit mage who uses blood magic.

Tris Drayke, the Summoner king of Margolan, must find a way to stop them even if it means working with ancient beings known as the Dread. The coming battle may be the end of all things. The kings of the Winter Kingdoms become embroiled in the fight of their lives.

“The Sworn” is the first book in “The Fallen King’s Cycle.” Anyone who’s read Gail’s previous works in “The Chronicles of
Becky
Oct 23, 2011 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Sworn is the first in the new Fallen Kings Cycle, but is a return to the Winter Kingdoms (after the four Chronicles of the Necromancer books). A war is coming to the Kingdoms and an old enemy looks to raise the dead, amongst other things, to defeat the Kingdoms.

An excellent read. I was a little worried because I've not read the Chronicles, but Sworn offers a good starting point for readers new to the Kingdoms, with minimal confusion (the prologue to bring readers up to speed was actually mo
Lillian
Aug 14, 2014 Lillian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s always nice to read epic fantasies like this! The Sworn is very, very long though, and I wouldn't recommend it to readers who like quick paced plot. While very little and major things happened in this book, I still enjoyed the ride, characters, and world building. Aidane’s story was the most interesting to me. I liked her background and all the scenes she had. Berry also caught my interest later on, like when she (view spoiler) I’m looking forward to seeing her ...more
Benjamin Babeshkin
This is a great book, however, it would be best if the reader also read the other books in this series (Chronicles of the Necromancer). While both series of books stand on their own, this book is really part 5 (and The Dread is part 6) of the Summoner books.

It follows the main characters from the other series, but also adds one new Character "Aidane", and expands on some minor characters from the original books.

I particularly loved Aidane's character, she has a unique occupation, and the chapter
Nicole
Feb 23, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plainly and clearly written. The Sworn continues the tale of Martris Drake, King of Margolan and his allies in their continued trials while running a kingdom. The Sworn introduces new characters and new enemies, while continuing the fast pace, plot heavy style of previous books in the series.
Positives: Very detailed world building, political intrigue, history, and culture.
Negatives: The Sworn like Martin's other novels is part of a duet and ends with a terrible cliffhanger. Which won't be resolv
Kristopher
I loved returning to the world of the Winter Kingdoms. The book was, as usual,
action-packed, filled with mysteries, and of course, sending our favorite characters into more disastrous adventures. I loved meeting the Sworn and learning more about them. The new characters are brilliant, with their own pasts and histories and abilities. Even if you haven't read The Chronicles of the Necromancer, Gail Z. Martin's latest series picks up right after the events in the original books, with new enemies a
Soteris
Nov 08, 2010 Soteris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gail Z. Martins books go from strength to strength. The Sworn continues to follow the lives of Tris and Jonmarc as a new threat from across the sea threatens the Kingdom. That and a plague that ravages Tris's newly claimed Kingdom make his rule that much more believable as there does not appear to ever be a happy ever after in this continuing story.
Great characters and believeable camaraderie that has been built over the several books make this a deeply engrosing book to read for the lovers of f
Kayla
Aug 29, 2011 Kayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is so tough. Was it an interesting read? Of course. Martin could probably write about paint drying and make it interesting. But I agree with other reviews I've read: nothing actually happens. It's 548 pages of set up.

I also love when authors add new characters to keep things fresh. But at this point I feel like there are too many characters to really care about. Which, now that I think about it, is probably why it feels like nothing happened. You can only spend so much time on each of the
All About Fantasy!: The Sworn 1 6 May 01, 2013 11:52AM
  • The Usurper (King Rolen's Kin, #3)
  • The Prodigal Mage (Fisherman's Children, #1)
  • Royal Exile (Valisar, #1)
  • The Drowning City (The Necromancer Chronicles, #1)
  • Den of Thieves (Ancient Blades, #1)
  • A Darkness Forged in Fire (Iron Elves, #1)
  • The Last Stormlord (Watergivers, #1)
  • The Stormcaller (Twilight Reign, #1)
  • Blood of Ambrose (Morlock Ambrosius, #1)
  • Winterbirth (The Godless World, #1)
  • Blood Prophecy
  • Farlander (Heart of the World, #1)
  • Songs of the Earth (The Wild Hunt, #1)
  • Wizard Squared (Rogue Agent, #3)
  • Vengeance (The Tainted Realm #1)
Gail Z. Martin discovered her passion for science fiction, fantasy and ghost stories in elementary school. The first story she wroteat age fivewas about a vampire. Her favorite TV show as a preschooler was Dark Shadows. At age 14, she decided to become a writer. She enjoys attending science fiction/fantasy conventions, Renaissance fairs and living history sites. She is married and has three childr ...more
More about Gail Z. Martin...

Fallen Kings (2 books)
  • The Dread (Fallen Kings Cycle, #2)