Start by marking “The Baseball Economist” as Want to Read:
The Baseball Economist

The Baseball Economist

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Freakonomics meets Moneyball in this provocative expos of baseball's most fiercely debated controversies and some of its oldest, most dearly held myths Providing far more than a mere collection of numbers, economics professor and popular blogger J.C. Bradbury, shines the light of his economic thinking on baseball, exposing the power of tradeoffs, competition, and incentive ...more
Published February 26th 2008 by Plume Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Baseball Economist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baseball Economist

Eric Hines
The more I read this sort of book, the more I appreciate the uniqueness of Bill James. Math-minded folks seem to have a inveterate tendency toward belaboring the obvious and making huge, crucial assumptions on the way to trivial conclusions. For many of these folks quantification is a sort of religion--there *must* be a way of quantifying anything. If the quantification is inadequate to the phenomenon, well it's the best we've got, so we'll put the inadequacy aside and start drawing conclusions. ...more
Jackmccullough
I got to this book in a somewhat circuitous manner. When I saw Rick Porcello intentionally hit Kevin Youkilis with a pitch on August 11 it led me to make the commonplace observation that the designated hitter rule has led pitchers to be more likely to throw at batters in the American League because they don't have to worry about standing in the batter's box and facing retaliation.

This time I went beyond that to look for comparative statistics on hit batsmen in the American and National Leagues,
Greg
I read a bit more than half of this book and just didn't feel like finishing. The topics discussed aren't new and aren't presented in an interesting way. Many of the statistical analyses were either slightly flawed or had a lack of depth. The author seemed caught between attempting thorough analyses at risk of losing the reader, and performing simple analyses at risk of losing depth. I took one statistics class in graduate school and could easily spot flaws in some of the arguments.

The chapter o
Justin
The book's an uneven read and suffers from dry prose throughout and an entry-level use of baseball statistics/sabermetrics. Some chapters are interesting, but too many are simplistic takes on complicated subjects. He had some good insights throughout, but most of these add up to a step one. The essays on the monopoly concerns are intriguing, but don't fully address the player side of the issues. The study on market size makes some strong arguments but neglects factors. Probably worth a read only ...more
Ivan Taylor
I found this book quite interesting. Having studied economics in university, I was quite familiar with the concepts that were applied. Having worked on baseball statistics for many years, I was also familiar with the sabermetric terms. However, I was happily surprised with the way these two different subjects could be combined in a thoughtful manner. I felt that the book ended a little abruptly and I thought that a lot of pages in the Annex were wasted with old data and analysis on marginal reve ...more
Matt
All right, so I didn't actually finish it. I've put off reading this for a few years and by the time I actually got around to trying, it was a bit stale for me. Not because the ideas are stale or that the writing was stale, but just because I had seen all the thoughts before. If you don't spend your free time reading baseball analysis, I recommend this book. If you do, well, you have probably already read it before (even if the book was the origin for a lot of the thoughts).
Eric
Oct 15, 2008 Eric rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: baseball fans, econ people
Parts of this were pretty interesting, but most of it really wasn't. I should have guessed that from his blog, which I've been reading for a while. Some of it was insightful and dealt with baseball-related issues that I find interesting, but the rest of if was just stuff he thought would be fun to research I think. It probably was, but it doesn't necessarily make it interesting to read.
Jose
Aug 22, 2010 Jose rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: baseball fans & economic minds
Shelves: baseball
So far, a great economic perspective of baseball. Particularly, it looks at baseball economics not in the popular trades, salaries way, but also in terms of strategies and using specific economic methods. You probably don't need any formal economics training to understand this, either, as his appendices do a good job of laying a foundation.
Rob Olson
I would describe this as the high school stats reading level version of Moneyball without the interesting narrative.

It 's a tough book to get through. I only recommend it to die-hard baseball fans. That said I found several of the topics to be interesting and thought provoking.
Christian Schultz
Bradbury apparently couldn't decide whether he wanted to write a statistics book or a baseball book. Nonetheless, I found about half of it interesting and readable, particularly those chapters concerning players' real values.
Joaquin
It's econ which is naturally a little dry, but it brings up good questions. Some of the math can get a little nerdy as well, but the book was worth reading.
Toby
Come on, dude. If you're going to publish a book on this subject, at least take the time to make sure it doesn't read like stereo instructions.
J.f.
Fresh new perspective on things like revenue sharing, left-handed catchers (or the lackthereof), and determining player value.
Alex
Awesome math/baseball nerdery. If you like the way Baseball Prospectus looks at the world of hardball, you'll like this book too.
colin
Apr 15, 2007 colin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for the data-minded
Think a more economics-minded version of "moneyball" without the fluffy personal insights into the various characters.
Gilbert
You gotta be a nerdy baseball fan to enjoy this one. Still, the last few chapters were quite boring.
Arithmomaniac
It's nice to see some economics mixed in to the normal analysis of baseball stats.
Kathy
I'm a baseball fan and statistics major, so this book was right up my alley.
Mike
An easy read and a great introduction to sabermetrics.
Gina Long
Very thick on economic theory but fun
Ron Kaplan

Got boring fast.
Sean Asbury
Very disappointed.
Bryant Harrison
Bryant Harrison is currently reading it
Feb 23, 2015
Levi
Levi marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball
  • Whatever Happened to the Hall of Fame
  • Mostly Harmless Econometrics: An Empiricist's Companion
  • Fair Ball: A Fan's Case for Baseball
  • Game Theory for Applied Economists
  • Trading Bases: A Story About Wall Street, Gambling, and Baseball (Not Necessarily in That Order )
  • Juicing the Game: Drugs, Power, and the Fight for the Soul of Major League Baseball
  • Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About the Game Is Wrong