Start by marking “Barbie and Ruth: The Story of the World's Most Famous Doll and the Woman Who Created Her” as Want to Read:

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  269 ratings  ·  55 reviews
The tragic and redeeming story of how one visionary woman built the biggest toy company in the world and created a global icon.

Barbie and Ruth is the entwined story of two exceptional women. There's Barbie: the diminutive yet arrestingly voluptuous doll unveiled at the 1959 Toy Fair who became the treasure of 90 percent of American girls and their counterparts in 150 count
Published March 24th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Barbie and Ruth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barbie and Ruth

Ashley
More about Barbie's creator, Ruth Handler, than Barbie herself. Handler's story was interesting, though. While her husband, Elliott, was the face of Mattel, Ruth was the brains behind the operations. She was known as a hard-charging, no-holds-barred appraoch to business made her a pioneer. It's a shame her story isn't more well-known. I mean, who knew Barbie was invented by a woman or that the initial opposition to it was so fierce? And who knew that a woman was behind one of the largest compani ...more
Sandra Strange
I read this one at the same time I had barely finished the biography of Marie Curie and in the middle of the Steve Jobs biography. Though their stories differ, they don't. These three geniuses have so much in common: narrowly laser focused determination, obvious intelligence and a willingness to take credit for others' work with total self absorption and unswerving drive to achieve, whether it's scientific discovery or business success. This one traces the story of Ruth Handler, the force behind ...more
Gianna Robustiano
Barbie and Ruth by Robin Gerber

Barbie and Ruth is about a business women named Ruth Handler who founded Mattel, An American toy manufacturing industry and also the creator of the Barbie doll. Ruth wasn't like any normal women in the 1940's who stayed at home with their kids cooked and cleaned. She loved working, she was always working on the next best thing. Throughout the book it shows the successes and failures of Ruth.

Barbie and Ruth was very interesting, The book was filled with so much in
Heather
Dave got me this book for Valentines Day because he knows I have been a Barbie junkie all my life. So, the title is a bit of a misnomer since there is not much Barbie in it. Some stuff about her creation. It's really a biography of Ruth Handler and Mattel, the company she founded with her husband. It's a fast and fun read. Lots of juicy stuff. We all know she named Barbie after her daughter Barbara but did you know she was modeled on a sex doll sold in Europe? And did you know Ken was named for ...more
Sara
This was a really interesting look in to the pioneering businesswoman who invented Barbie. I just wish they had been a little more serious about whether or not the charges of insider trading and corruption were true.
Cassie
I loved playing with Barbies growing up and still today don't mind taking a spin through the Barbie aisle today just to see the new designs. Reading about the early days of the lady and company behind it was enjoyable. Gerber did a great job condensing over 50 years of history into a highlights that were interesting. She also painted Ruth Handler in a pretty positive light while subtly alluding to the harsher sides of the truth.

At the end, I still adore Barbie and admire Ruth Handler for all th
Ed
Jul 16, 2009 Ed rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Career women, business students, entrpreneurs, toy industry people
Recommended to Ed by: Joe Cutcliffe
I was surprised at how interesting and well-written this book about Ruth Handler, the founder of Mattel Toy Company and the creator of the Barbie doll was. Having read and reviewed the disappointing [Book:Toy Monster], I was afraid this was going to be the polar opposite, nothing more than an adoring eulogy to an exceptional woman.

It is far more than that and far more even-handed than is usual in these types of biographies. Plus the writing is first-rate. It reads like a novel and as the friend
Nicole
Honestly, I don't think I would have ever picked up this book had it not been a Book Club pick and I'm not really sure why. I loved Barbie when I was younger; I had pretty much everything that Barbie could have and played with her (and her friends) all the time. I guess I just never even considered learning about how she was created.

Surprisingly, this book was actually extremely interesting. True Ruth Handler (Barbie's "mother") was a total b..., the book didn't really focus on Barbie that much
Grace
The story of Barbie and her creator (I had no idea a woman created Barbie) is an interesting and compelling story; however author Robin Gerber's "Barbie and Ruth: The Story of the World's Most Famous Doll and the Woman Who Created Her" telling of the life of Ruth Handler and the birth of Barbie is far from interesting or compelling. And, the book barely mentions the 'story of the world's most famous doll.' A more appropriate title would be, "The Story of Ruth Handler: The Woman behind Mattel."

G
Jackie Fogg
The book was about the doll Barbie.Ruth was the tenth child of polish Jewish immigrant. Barbie was made in 1959. Barbie was at a toy fair in New York and became very popular to younger girls! 90% of young females in america have or had a barbie doll.All the different parts on barbie came from different states to make her. The book explained in detail how Ruth was so creative and made barbie out of all different things and how she made barbie a famous doll!
Meg Marie
I feel like all of the women who hate on Barbie as a sexiest piece of plastic trash should learn the background story of her creator before they stick their noses up in the toy aisle. Barbie was designed by a woman who grew up in a poor, hardscrabble Chicago neighborhood, found the love of her life in her teens, and worked to create a doll that little girls would want to play with, because it allowed them to daydream about being grown women.

Not only did she build Mattel from the bottom up, but a
Peggy
Overall, this was a good biography. Sometimes the person being written about is more interesting than the book itself, but in this case, it was an equally interesting person with an equally interesting story. Ruth Handler would have made an interesting subject based on her rise within Corporate America alone. She co-created and was an executive at Mattel in the days when women didn't work and IF they did they were secretaries. It was an interesting twist that she was the driving force behind Bar ...more
Antonia
I found this book to be very eye-opening and informative of how the creator of Barbie, Ruth Handler, really came to her success. Before reading this book, I thought that before Barbie, Ruth didn't have any big enterprise or business. I was completely wrong. Ruth and her husband created the brand Mattel long before the idea of Barbie even popped into her head. Mattel was a business that created different kinds of toys, for example, a toy gun and ukelele. Eventually Ruth came up with the idea of B ...more
Jen
Fascinating story about how Ruth Handler invented Barbie and, with her husband Elliot Handler, made Mattel into the top toy company. They were both children of immigrant Jewish families; he was the designer of many toys and she was the saleswoman and led Mattel.

Did you know that Barbie was a tough sell in 1959 because buyers thought she was too curvy and a bit scandalous, and that they thought little girls only wanted to be moms and play with baby dolls? Ruth created an adult doll so little girl
Julie
I really enjoyed this book. I thought the author did a great job portraying Ruth Handler's multi faceted personality without being over judgmental.
Jessica
Mar 03, 2010 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who played with Barbies
This is the fascinating story of Ruth Handler, the woman who created the Barbie doll and founded the Mattel toy company. Ruth was a trailblazer for women - she was business-minded, a working mother and ran her company the way she wanted to - all during the 1950's - 1970's. No matter what hardship came her way she was able to overcome it in her own way. After she was forced out of Mattel Ruth was able to use her business skills to start a new company that helped women who had had mastectomies - a ...more
Mary
While the title is a misnomer (only about 1/3 of the book is actually about the creation/development and history of the Barbie doll) this is a fascinating look at the creation of the toy company Mattel (from the names of Ruth Handler's husband Elliot and their partner Matt Matson) who basically started out of a small garage and became a multi-million dollar company. Ruth was an extremely driven, shrewd businesswoman who lost control of Mattel due to accounting improprieties, suffered from breast ...more
Jendi
My friend bought me this book because I'm a Barbie collector. I expected more discussion of Barbie's cultural impact and the evolution of her image. Despite that disappointment, it was a good read, a well-organized biography of a pioneering businesswoman who deserves more attention from feminists. Handler revolutionized toy marketing (a mixed blessing, perhaps!) and then rebounded from breast cancer and a Martha Stewart-like stock scandal to create the first attractive and comfortable prostheses ...more
Angie
The author, Robin Gerber, was not a fan of Ruth Handler, the inventor of the Barbie doll. Usually the author of a biography has a least some warm feelings for their subject. That did not appear to be the case here. Ruth was presented as a man-eating, cold, vindictive, and generally unappealing woman. I loved Barbie, heck I still love Barbie. If it was socially acceptable to play with dolls at 46 years old, I would have tons of Barbie stuff. I read a lot of biographies, but this one was a real le ...more
Marion
About Barbie (and Ken, etc) and her creator Ruth Handler. Equally fascinating was the detail about the rise, fall and re-rise of this driven and successful business woman. Not someone to totally admire but she did mentor many women and men. She discovered rewards in being involved with and championed many issues and skills, like breast cancer, AIDS, and community service. Author Robin Gerber likely used info from all the sources she found and was given access to and this is easy and quick read.
Wellington

A book about Barbie and her maker, Ruth Handler. This is a neat book in terms of that it was neatly portioned out. I was able to read the book over a 2+ week period without missing a beat. Nothing spectacular.

The book did focus much more on Ruth Handler than Barbie. It told a story without getting emotionally involved. After reading the book, I don't feel anything special toward Ruth Handler. Neither did I throughout the book.
Mary Liebetrau
Quite a story about trying to mix/blend parenting with business. The dolls named Barbie and Ken were a huge success and made Mattel. But the rest of the story involves a fractured family with misplace priorities. Ruth's husband was creative and inventive and created new products. Ruth ran the business/marketing/sales portion of the business. I am in awe of Ruth's ability to sell and market. She was "ruthless."
Pam Lindholm-levy
I read this book to try to compare Barbie and the American Girl dolls in their play potential, obviously not in looks and clothes. I came to the conclusion that while Mattel has made them both huge product extension toys, American Girl dolls provide an age appropriate toy with plenty of room for creative play.
This book is really more about the people who created Mattel than about Barbie specifically.
Anne
Barbie was a ground-breaking toy in ways I had not really considered. Ruth, her creator, was a sharp cookie and one of the hardest working enterpreneurs I've ever heard of. I chose this book as a lark, but wound up being fascinated by it. It's a biography, a business book, a page-turner, a time capsule - all in one. Nice fast read, too!
Katrina Olszewski
Although a little disappointed that the book barely discussed Barbie, I was excited to learn so much about Ruth. What an amazing woman! This book covers several decades of her life and career.
Effie
I have a love/hate relationship with Barbie. I used to enact soap opera plots with my dolls with my best pal Jenny. These days I'm relieved that my daughter doesn't want one yet. Who knew that Barbie was created by a woman - that the Mattel company was started by a woman, in fact? Fascinating biography of Ruth Handler.
Phyllis
How Ruth Handler came to be Ruth, how Barbie came to be Ruth's brainchild, and how together they changed American business and culture is the focus of this biography. No matter whether you find Barbie to be an insult to women or a fun toy to dress in a variety of clothing the story of Barbie and Ruth is an interesting read.
Jessi
I love Barbie. I did not care for Ruth. She was an amazing and driven woman who refused to take on the typical female role. She created an icon who speaks to little girls everywhere, and a company that continues to do great things.

for any girl who wants to learn more about her childhood galpal, this is a good read.
It was interesting to read how the Mattel corporation grew and how very few people thought that Barbie would be such a successful toy. I think I took for granted that Barbie has been around all my life, but even though she is turning 50 this year I think lots of women could find something to relate to in this book.
K C
Maybe should only be 2.5 stars. Interesting to the extent it showed me how Barbie was different from other dolls of her era and why she was a positive role model toy for girls, rather than a sex object. But the story of Ruth Handler was a little too light and breezy and not a meaty enough biography for my tastes.
  • Forever Barbie: The Unauthorized Biography of a Real Doll
  • Eva Braun: Life with Hitler
  • The Real Wizard of Oz: The Life and Times of L. Frank Baum
  • The Barbie Chronicles: A Living Doll Turns Forty
  • The Last Empress: Madame Chiang Kai-shek and the Birth of Modern China
  • The Alice Behind Wonderland
  • Chocolate Wars: The 150-Year Rivalry Between the World's Greatest Chocolate Makers
  • Perfection Salad: Women and Cooking at the Turn of the Century (California Studies in Food and Culture, 24)
  • Windblowne
  • Rogues' Gallery: The Secret Story of the Lust, Lies, Greed, and Betrayals That Made the Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • Wildflower: An Extraordinary Life and Untimely Death in Africa
  • Nom de Plume: A (Secret) History of Pseudonyms
  • Pauline Bonaparte: Venus of Empire
  • Bombay Anna: The Real Story and Remarkable Adventures of the "King and I" Governess
  • American Jennie: The Remarkable Life of Lady Randolph Churchill
  • Deadly Persuasion: Why Women and Girls Must Fight the Addictive Power of Advertising
  • Hollywood and History - Costume Design in Film
  • The Diaries of Sofia Tolstoy
Eleanor vs. Ike: A Novel Leadership the Eleanor Roosevelt Way: Timeless Strategies from the First Lady of Courage Katharine Graham: The Leadership Journey of an American Icon Eleanor vs. Ike Eleanor vs. Ike