Start by marking “One Wish” as Want to Read:
One Wish

One Wish

Winner of the Mayor’s Award for Excellence in Book Illustration, Halifax Regional Municipality (The Atlantic Book Awards)

“On a summer’s eve,
a long time ago,

I made one wish,
on the brightest star

in a twinkling night sky
I wished for a cottage by the sea

At the seaside, where our narrator lives, there sits a cottage “in a fragrant field of Queen Anne’s lace.” There is a porch
Published April 13th 2004 by Tundra Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about One Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Wish

Manybooks
While Frances Wolfe's One Wish presents a sweetly and glowingly poetic paean to the ocean, the seashore (and one little girl's wish for a cottage by said seashore, with all of the fun and natural beauty that is part and parcel to an engaging and simple beachcomber like existence), the accompanying illustrations (and Frances Wolfe functions as both author and illustrator here), they are unfortunately and sadly simply not at all to my taste. For while they are indeed bright and descriptive, they a ...more
Susan
Oct 25, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
A touching book with exquisitely beautiful details of life in a seaside cottage both in the text and the wonderful, wonderful accompanying illustrations.
Lesley
Oct 30, 2013 Lesley rated it liked it
I thought this was a sweet story about a little girl who dreams of living by the sea. The pictures are very pretty. It was a nice story, but I wouldn't search it out to read again!
Marianne
Marianne rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Sue Mosher
Apr 20, 2016 Sue Mosher rated it it was amazing
Read this a long time ago and I often re-read it. Just beautiful, and good for any age.
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2011
Michelle Brandstetter
What a beautiful wish! This book has a calming effect, with a rhythm like the waves in the ocean.
Whitney
Whitney rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2011
Hannah Cobb
Hannah Cobb rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Alfajirikali
Alfajirikali rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2010
Michelle Maria
Michelle Maria rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2010
Liwen
Liwen marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Jim S.
Jim S. marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Monica Omar
Monica Omar marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015