A Matter of Temptation

A Matter of Temptation (Lost Lords #2)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  586 ratings  ·  35 reviews
The handsome duke whom Victoria married is more deliciously exciting than the cold-hearted rogue she was engaged to . . .

How could he possibly be the same man?
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2005)

Beanbag Love
This was actually more like a 3.75 for me. But I think it's more a matter of personal taste.

First the plot. Robert Hawthorne has been incarcerated in virtual isolation and total anonymity for eight years while his twin brother, John, assumed Robert's role as the Duke of Killingsworth ... as Robert. Sending letters back to himself from America from his "brother", Not-Robert AKA John, has managed to make everyone believe his ruse.

Robert manages to escape after eight long years and returns to tak...more
Kathie (katmom)
This book, A Matter of Temptation, is inspired by "The Man in the Iron Mask."

For years, Robert, the Duke of Killingsworth has been imprisoned. His twin brother, John, had him drugged and placed in the prison. It's not for a couple of weeks after Robert's locked up that he finds out that John did the deed.

Eight years later he escapes and sends his brother back to the prison.

Robert is planning how to spend his day. That plan includes wine, good food, a BATH and finding a woman. Imagine his surpr...more
Charlotte
This book had two major flaws: the writing and the central conflict.

The writing had way to much telling and too little showing. Sometimes the author would even lead up to a scene and then cut away from the significant event to have a character think back on it instead.
Other times, buried in middle of the infernal internal musings suddenly we would be having breakfast. There were no sense of time and place in the constant introspection, so suddenly I would be in a scene and not know how I got th...more
Sophie ♥
Abolutely adored this book. Another winner from Ms Heath - don't be put off by the low average rating and lack of popularity!
Ann Keller
What began as a lark and an initiation into manhood took a terrible turn when young Robert Hawthorne, the Duke of Killingsworth, was unjustly imprisoned by his twin brother, John. For many years, Robert lived in almost complete isolation, cut off from his fellow man in every way possible. Madness beckoned and Robert fought against the beast inside him.

The opportunity to escape finally presented itself and Robert fled. Robert confronts his evil brother, neatly turning the tables on him and impris...more
Clare
Robert Hawthorne (the Duke of Killingworth) lies in a prison cell in Pennington Prison. His crime? Trusting his twin brother, John - who drugged him, dumped him in the prison (to be incarcerated without deployment to Australia). Following that, John takes over the place of Robert and assumes the role of Duke (after he poisons off his parents of course).

Living in a cell full of shadows and darkness, the REAL Robert Hawthorne eventually escapes - and this is where our story begins.

He imprisons Jo...more
Lori McD
MaryReadsRomance
Old fashioned romance with similar plot to the Man in the Iron Mask. Robert, the older twin is drugged, masked, and sent to prison for 8 years, while his younger twin John takes his place as heir. Robert escapes and finds himself getting married to a woman that was previously to be John (acting as Robert). The real Robert struggles with the whole moral dilemma but afraid of being found out goes through with the wedding with plans to not compromise the bride.

I really liked the beginning of the s...more
Red
Seorang (atau dua atau sepasang?) anak kembar lahir dan anak tertua, sesuai tradisi, mendapat kemewahan sebagai penerus gelar beserta kemewahan dan tanggung jawabnya. Namun bagi adiknya yg lahir hanya berbeda beberapa menit/detik itu merupakan neraka. Terutama adik yang haus akan kekuasaan dan kemewahan itu. Robert, sebagai anak yang lahir duluan, kehilangan waktunya selama delapan tahun di penjara. Setiap saat ia hanya ditemani oleh imajinasi dan bayangannya sendiri. Hingga usahanya untuk melar...more
Marie
Bintang 3
Lost Lords #2.

Baca ini di bab 1 langsung sadar kalau ini adaptasi dari novel lama karya Alexander Dumas, dimana 2 bersaudara kembar, salah satunya sang adik yg tidak berhak atas warisan dan kedudukan merebut hak tersebut dari kembarannya dengan cara menggantikan idenyitas dan posisi saudara tuanya sedangkan saudaranya itu sendiri ia sekap bertahun tahun dalam penjara tanpa pernah melakukan kesalahan apapun kecuali satu; terlahir lebih cepat beberapa menit dari sang adik. Bedanya dengan...more
Elle
There are an awful lot of dukes in Heath's world.
Yulia Anggraini
Setengah mati penasaran ttg ap hubungan tokoh2 dbuku in dengan tokoh lain d seri in n seri daughter of fortune...cz hanya tokoh dsni aj yg belum jelas hub x...aplagi setting ceritax jga mundur 30 thn dr ceritax camilla n c lauren...

ternyata yg jd benang merahx itu adalah c Richard(an invitation seduction) n orang tuax...saat itu richard berumur 5 thun n ayahx masih hidup...n klo aq tidak salah igt dceritax richard pernah menyebut ttg robert pd kity...

n ad juga sekils penampilan kit n christopher...more
Felita Hardigaloeh
-tumben belum ada cover terjemahannya-

Cerita kali ini agak berbeda

Pasalnya, si cowoknya punya saudara kembar. kembarnya pun beda: satu jahat, satu lagi baik

dan dua-duanya punya hasrat yg sama dg satu wanita

Robert dan John a/saudara kembar. saking miripnya, sang ayah ga bisa ngenalin. setuju dg pendapatnya teman Robert, harusnya mereka diberi sedikit penanda utk membedakan

di cerita, Robert dan John suka bertukar peran. Robert mengira dia mengetahui apa yg dipikirkan kembarannya.sampai dia terbang...more
Sari
Suka banget ma novel ini, jadi inget filmnya Leo yang "The Man With The Iron Mask", cuma klo difilm itu gantung dan buat penonton menebak2 siapa yg endingnya jadi dipenjara di akhir film, di buku ini kita tidak dibuat penasaran dgn menebak2 endingnya, krn semua jelas dan happy end.

Selama baca novel ini, gw ngerasain bgt perasaan kesepian dan kebingungan Robert kenapa John kembarannya sendiri tega memperlakukan dia sekejam itu. Untungnya krn kebaikan hati Robert, akhirnya dia bisa memenangkan kem...more
Lorraine Lesar
Sorry, but only three stars for me this time. Normally, I would rate at least 4 stars but this book lacked something for me. Basically, the story is based on The Man with the Iron Mask. Twins, one good, one evil. The good one is imprisoned and then escapes and marries the heroine. Trying to be honourable, he does not consume the marriage as he believes the heroine loves the man she believes he is (the evil twin). Of course this is a romance, our hero only consumes the marriage and but also falls...more
Perdani Budiarti
DONE. I like the idea about the switch twins, but the execution of the story is just too..plain :(
Jenny
I wondered how this would end and couldn't fathom how Robert would prove who he was. I hate to say it was kind of a let down.
Barbara
Pepa
No puedo negar que esta autora me engancha y su forma de escribir me gusta mucho. Además, elige temas originales...
Con este libro no ha sido distinto...pero los protagonistas me han parecido demasiado "buenos" teniendo en cuenta la situación, al menos de uno en particular, y el tema de los dos hermanos, para mi gusto está muy desaprovechado, Sobre todo al final, que es como coser y cantar
Lori Kurochkina
I actually did not finish this book, not that the book was bad by any means... just that it was not my style. I don't like when there is a misunderstanding or mistaken identity that goes on for a long time. It also seemed that the hero kept repeating his thoughts to himself over and over and it got old for me. Lastly, the "bad twin" seemed like he was going to be a real troublemaker and it takes away from the romance, falling in love story for me sometimes. But... this is just me, others might r...more
Feminista
This book could have been a lot better. With a story like this, the hero should have been a million times more tortured. Because seriously, these days the hero gets tortured over little things. And this guy has been through 8 years of prison where he couldn't see or talk to anyone else. While he kept on reiterating that he was sane after he came out, being seriously emotionally affected by it, is not insanity.
Sara
The ending was a bit lame on this one, but an enjoyable story on the whole. A case of a twin secretly imprisoning his slightly older brother and then taking on his name and role as a Peer. He escapes just in time to marry a woman he's never met and they spend their time equally avoiding and tempting one another. Finally, of course, the two brothers meet again and a solution must be found.
Titis Wardhana
Wow heronya masih perawan eh perjaka....

Sebelum ultah yg ke 18, Robert dijebloskan ke penjara pentonville sama adik kembarnya, john. Delapan tahun kemudian Robert berhasil melarikan diri dan menjebloskan john ke penjara. Ternyata besoknya robert harus merit sama torie yg uda dilamar samajohn.
Kit
I loved this touching romance. this was the first book I read after starting with her Scoundels of St James (a series I adored)It was a quick read, just when I thought it was about time that Robert spill the beans, LH wrapped up the intrigue and ended with another of her great epilogues.
The Lusty Literate
This is an exercise in sexual frustration. Torie is denied left and right. Robert is trying hard not to cave into his base desires. No one is enjoying themselves. Robert is a good character. A good man and that made this story worth reading.
Danette Steward
Just an odd plot that should of been an edge of your seat read. Just didn't interest me at all. The ending was a let down. Wished I would have skipped this one.
Marie
a quite enjoyed this book but was left unsatisfied at the end. I didn't feel like the story ending fit the mood of the book up til that point.
Mary Lauer
Cute version of the Man in the Iron Mask. Since it *is* a romance, I knew it would all work out, but I still let out a relieved sigh at the end. 8-)
Ana
Robert keren bgt.. Kalau jadi torie pun gue akan tetep milih robert. Baik dan penyayang. Ga kyk john yg haus harta dan dudekom... Nyebelin.
Donald
Another silly bodice ripper, this one has twin aristocrats at the heart of an "identity switch" plot. Yeeha.
  • Surrender to a Wicked Spy (Royal Four, #2)
  • When Seducing a Duke (Victorian Soap Opera, #1)
  • Duke of Sin (Duke Trilogy, #1)
  • Seduced By His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2)
  • As Luck Would Have It (Providence, #1)
  • The Wicked Ways of a Duke (Girl Bachelors, #2)
  • How to Seduce a Duke (Royle Sisters, #1)
  • To Bed a Beauty (Courtship Wars #2)
  • To Pleasure a Duke (The Husband Hunters Club, #3)
  • The Dangerous Lord (Lord Trilogy, #3)
  • To Marry the Duke (American Heiresses, #1)
  • Beast
  • Lessons From a Scarlet Lady (Northfield, #1)
  • Love Letters From a Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #3)
  • Never Dare a Duke (Sons of Scandal, #2)
  • The Way Home
  • The Dangerous Gentleman (Rogues of Regent Street, #1)
  • Meet Me at Midnight (With This Ring, #2)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® durin...more
More about Lorraine Heath...
In Bed With the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1) Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers, #3) Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2) Passions of a Wicked Earl (London's Greatest Lovers, #1) Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1)