Start by marking “The Sisterhood” as Want to Read:
The Sisterhood

The Sisterhood

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  1,331 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Inside Boston Doctors Hospital, patients are  dying. In the glare of the operating room, they  survive the surgeon's knife. But in the dark, hollow  silence of the night, they die. Suddenly,  inexplicable, horribly. A tough, bright doctor will risk his  very life-to dedicated young nurse unknowingly  holds the and the answers. Together they will  discover that no one is fr ...more
Published January 12th 2011 by Bantam (first published August 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Sisterhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sisterhood

Shelley
Summary: One by one, patients at Boston Doctors Hospital survive delicate surgery, only to die shortly thereafter--mysteriously and horribly. No one knows why--except the Sisterhood, nurses bound together by a secret pledge to end human suffering--nurses with warped, deadly intentions.

A "Sisterhood" of nurses planted in hospitals all over the country. Their purpose is to end the life of people with hopeless causes, who live in agony every day because their doctors just won't let them die.

This no
Jerry
Jul 23, 2010 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fine first novel medical thriller by another Mass General MD...

A friend gave us the old "if you like Robin Cook, you'll love Michael Palmer." Close enough - a medical thriller for sure, Palmer ironically was a contemporary of Cook at Massachusetts General, and has practiced since as an MD for some 20 years. Somehow he found time to start writing, and although his first book didn't make the cut, he got a commission for The Sisterhood, copyrighted in 1982. At the pace of about one each two years,
Tina
Dec 10, 2010 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Medical thriller
Brittany
May 01, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A highly suspenseful thriller just brimming with tension!
Barbara Huskey
Decent medical thriller. I prefer Robin Cook's writing. I did manage to read this one quickly.
Elusive Controversé
In 'The Sisterhood', several patients at Boston Doctors Hospital wind up dead by the morning even though they appear to be on the road to recovery. When Dr. David Shelton becomes the primary suspect after one of his patients dies, he is certain that someone is out to get him. Learning about the existence of a group called The Sisterhood and their practices is only the beginning of a nightmare..

This book started off really well with a suspenseful, foreboding atmosphere that revealed a much darker
Ivelisse
It was a good book but it was also very scary to think what happened could go on...
Jane
Good Read.
Julia Brumfield
This was one of those weird and interesting finds that a reader sometimes trip upon. At my job we freely pass books around if they don't catch your attention and this was just one book that was looking for a home. Reading the jacket I suppose that it would tickle my sister's fancy so I picked it up while the next thing I know she asks me via text if I had heard of an author named Michael Palmer who had just died.

Anyway the book was interesting and very detailed in some senses more than likely
Richard
My very first book from this author and definitely not my last. I had been put off medical thrillers by the very poor 'Coma' by Robin Cook., the film was even worse. Nevertheless, I like to try new authors (to me) and having read good reviews on Goodreads, I thought I'd give it a go. This book is superbly written by an author who knows his medical stuff. Even though it was highly technical at times and way over my head, it was used sparingly and a vital part of the story but never spoiled the en ...more
Cathy Smith
Jul 12, 2014 Cathy Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I was thrilled to read this story! The plot was awesome, but I do still have some questions at the end: What about the part of the sisterhood who were doing this for money? A second part would be great, to see what happens to the twin of Dotty. And to find out what Christine had to do to pay for being a part. Also, does David and Christine get together? David seems to have hangups that need to be addressed; will those be answered? Pleas ...more
A~
Apr 01, 2014 A~ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, pdf
Rissy
Jan 18, 2016 Rissy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
I honestly was tempted to stop reading this book a quarter of the way through, because I felt like though I enjoyed the idea of it... the slow pace it was going at was pretty disappointing. After trudging through this point however, I liked the change of events much better.

The main characters though out the book were likable and relatable in their own right. A twist of events, might not shock you as much as it perhaps was intended to, but it was intriguing (to me) all the same.

Good read, once it
Kath
Jul 17, 2014 Kath rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marsha
When an organized group medical personnel get caught administering euthanasia due to a rigorous autopsy, those in charge decide to let the blame all on an innocent doctor. As his career begins to implode he fights back as best he can. When one of the nurses decides to come forward as an act of conscious, the bodies begin to add up.

This was a quick read with predictable plot. There is some discussion of the moral dilemma in keeping people alive at the end of life in pain and against their wishes
Marti
Dec 31, 2010 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This particular book had the plot twist of a doctor who had been an alcoholic and drug user, who got rehabilitated and was finally accepted back at a large hospital--similar to another book I have recently read. Thia doctor gets into trouble when a terminal patient dies, though the deed has been done by a nurse who is a member of the Sisterhood, a group which plays God and deals with euthanasia, or just plain revenge. It starts out slowly, but gets rather exciting in the last third.
5ngela
Dec 31, 2013 5ngela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is great. I like the part where the writer make David as traumatized person. I have soft spot for traumatized, anxious, and vulnerable person. And I like Lt. John Dockerty. I always like story which presented people who framed and police who try to find the truth. It makes the story much more interesting and not boring. Anyway, for all the great, I find that I don't like the ending. It just feel sad that the truth was buried. Cannot wait to read Mr Palmer other books.
Anita
May 11, 2013 Anita rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I must preface this review by saying that I have read 4 other books by this author and REALLY liked them! So, I thought it would be good to go back and read his first novel. I was disappointed. The plot seemed tedious, flat and predictable to me. I RARELY stop reading a book, but I put it aside at exactly the half way mark.

Having said that, I will read more by Michael Palmer. I feel like he really grew into himself as an author with his later books.
Michele
Feb 17, 2010 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting commentary on euthenasia. The author goes so far as to call it that rather than to keep referring to it as mercy killing. It also puts the main question of where the line is drawn for this kind of thing into focus. It was a good story. I had some of it figured out and other parts not so much, so it was as predictable as what I thought it was going to be. Some of it didn't contribute much to the overall story. I'd recommend it.
P.S. Winn
Dec 26, 2014 P.S. Winn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read many books by this author and each one has fascinated and thrilled me. Mr. Palmer writes such viable tales that will thrill and horrify readers. How much is true, this reader thinks many things that the author talks about are either true or a very strong possibility to be true. I love the adventure and the medical knowledge the author brings to his books. I found The sister hood to be one of the better books and I loved it.
Cathy
Sep 08, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love a good medical mystery. I found this concept very frightening. Making a decision to end mecical treatment on yourself is one think but it sure is awful to consider that the nurses taking care of you would decide that for you, and then try to pin it on your doctor! This was the first Michael Palmer book I read...I now have a new author in my library.
Rachel
Jan 06, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forgot who gave this to me, but they knew I was a sucker for Robin Cook medical thrillers. Though I'm not sure I need to seek out more of Michael Palmer's work, it was good and engaging. The topic was particularly interesting to me, and there was a bit more sexuality than Robin Cook's. But I'd say if you like Robin Cook this is a good one to also try.
Karen
Jul 12, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really really didn't like this book, and I wanted to. The premise is good, the writing is good...but by the middle of the first chapter, I knew who the 'good' guys and the 'bad' guys were and the rest was pretty easy to figure out. If it weren't for Palmer's writing, I would have put it down after the first chapter. I kept waiting for some kind of twist that never happened.
Coleen
Apr 17, 2012 Coleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh....I'm lukewarm on this one. The storyline was interesting enough, but something didn't sit well with me to make this one memorable. I think it was a combination of things: the reader (too formal), the abridgement, and the writing in general. It wasn't enough to put me off of medical thrillers, but not one of my favorites.
Deborah Hamilton
May 07, 2008 Deborah Hamilton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fascinating read. The author takes the reader on a journey through a secret society of women who are euthanizing patients they feel are dying. Between murders, fights and hiding the book is great. I will admit I got a very creepy vibe from this book as it occurred to me the plausibility of this scenario.
Ken Nuzum
May 20, 2012 Ken Nuzum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My first Michael Palmer book was "First Patient" which led me to start his novels from the first one and hopefully through the series. While it's a medical/crime mystery, what I enjoyed most was the character development. While I hope future stories might move a little faster, I hope they also have the rich well defined characters. A good read overall.
Sandi
Dec 26, 2014 Sandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know this isn't classical literature but I really love Palmer's books. This one did not disappoint. There were twists and turns in plot, most of which I had already figured out, but it didn't matter. It was great.

Footnote: I read about half of it when I was in the hospital coronary bed! That may have added to the tension......
Brittnie Broflovski
I loved the pace and the characters. The main characters fell too fast for each other and it didn't feel real. I really liked this book! Bought it at a yard sell for 10 cents :) so good for a first book by this author.
Pat
Oct 02, 2013 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book by mistake (there's another Sisterhood by author Bryans that was recommended). This book is a mystery that takes place in a Boston hospital. The story is okay as an easy "beach read."
Radhika N Seshan
Apr 22, 2015 Radhika N Seshan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uninteresting

Pointless violence without a strong storyline. The protagonist struggles against a system that is corrupt, unyielding and predictable problems ensue. The lack of scientific analysis and insights make it a laborious read.
  • Lethal Practice (Dr. Earl Garnet, #1)
  • Vital Signs (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #2)
  • Deadly Medicine (Joanna Blalock #1)
  • The Tree People
  • Amnesia (Peter Zak, #1)
  • Implant
  • A Perfect Nanny (Giffort Street, #1)
  • The Shanghai Tunnel
  • The Moscow Club
  • Cuentos, 2
  • Company of Moths
  • Storm Runners
  • Dolan's Cadillac, and Other Stories
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages.

He
More about Michael Palmer...