Start by marking “The Sisterhood” as Want to Read:
The Sisterhood

The Sisterhood

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,072 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Inside Boston Doctors Hospital, patients aredying. In the glare of the operating room, theysurvive the surgeon's knife. But in the dark, hollowsilence of the night, they die. Suddenly,inexplicable, horribly. A tough, bright doctor will risk hisvery life-to dedicated young nurse unknowinglyholds the and the answers. Together they willdiscover that no one is from...

From the
Published January 12th 2011 by Bantam (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Sisterhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sisterhood

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Summary: One by one, patients at Boston Doctors Hospital survive delicate surgery, only to die shortly thereafter--mysteriously and horribly. No one knows why--except the Sisterhood, nurses bound together by a secret pledge to end human suffering--nurses with warped, deadly intentions.

A "Sisterhood" of nurses planted in hospitals all over the country. Their purpose is to end the life of people with hopeless causes, who live in agony every day because their doctors just won't let them die.

This no
Julia Brumfield
This was one of those weird and interesting finds that a reader sometimes trip upon. At my job we freely pass books around if they don't catch your attention and this was just one book that was looking for a home. Reading the jacket I suppose that it would tickle my sister's fancy so I picked it up while the next thing I know she asks me via text if I had heard of an author named Michael Palmer who had just died.

Anyway the book was interesting and very detailed in some senses more than likely
Alanis Garcia
Barbara Huskey
Decent medical thriller. I prefer Robin Cook's writing. I did manage to read this one quickly.
Kath
Cathy Smith
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I was thrilled to read this story! The plot was awesome, but I do still have some questions at the end: What about the part of the sisterhood who were doing this for money? A second part would be great, to see what happens to the twin of Dotty. And to find out what Christine had to do to pay for being a part. Also, does David and Christine get together? David seems to have hangups that need to be addressed; will those be answered? Pleas ...more
Richard
My very first book from this author and definitely not my last. I had been put off medical thrillers by the very poor 'Coma' by Robin Cook., the film was even worse. Nevertheless, I like to try new authors (to me) and having read good reviews on Goodreads, I thought I'd give it a go. This book is superbly written by an author who knows his medical stuff. Even though it was highly technical at times and way over my head, it was used sparingly and a vital part of the story but never spoiled the en ...more
Brittany
A highly suspenseful thriller just brimming with tension!
Tina
Medical thriller
Jerry
Fine first novel medical thriller by another Mass General MD...

A friend gave us the old "if you like Robin Cook, you'll love Michael Palmer." Close enough - a medical thriller for sure, Palmer ironically was a contemporary of Cook at Massachusetts General, and has practiced since as an MD for some 20 years. Somehow he found time to start writing, and although his first book didn't make the cut, he got a commission for The Sisterhood, copyrighted in 1982. At the pace of about one each two years,
Radhika N Seshan
Uninteresting

Pointless violence without a strong storyline. The protagonist struggles against a system that is corrupt, unyielding and predictable problems ensue. The lack of scientific analysis and insights make it a laborious read.
Sandi
I know this isn't classical literature but I really love Palmer's books. This one did not disappoint. There were twists and turns in plot, most of which I had already figured out, but it didn't matter. It was great.

Footnote: I read about half of it when I was in the hospital coronary bed! That may have added to the tension......
JennyCz
Fun to read about doctors a few decades ago...how things have changed. I became aware of this author since moving to Boston, and will definitely read more from him. This was his first book.
Angela
The story is great. I like the part where the writer make David as traumatized person. I have soft spot for traumatized, anxious, and vulnerable person. And I like Lt. John Dockerty. I always like story which presented people who framed and police who try to find the truth. It makes the story much more interesting and not boring. Anyway, for all the great, I find that I don't like the ending. It just feel sad that the truth was buried. Cannot wait to read Mr Palmer other books.
Dot Heimer
Great book-I am re reading all his books. Gone too soon.
Look forward to his last book coming out in May.
Amanda Mcgee
Decent Medical thriller and a quick read. Interesting base for a story for sure.
Meg Pasquerella
This is my Pop Sugar 2015 Reading Challenge - a book by an author with your same initials
Brittnie Broflovski
I loved the pace and the characters. The main characters fell too fast for each other and it didn't feel real. I really liked this book! Bought it at a yard sell for 10 cents :) so good for a first book by this author.
Sandy Carmichael
This is one of those books that can grab your interest and then at the end fall flat. A medical, murder mystery.
Betty Ann Baer
The sisterhood is a group of nurses that take things into their own hands and administer a drug to a very ill patient so she will die. The story has some close calls.
Emma
This was a random pick up off a charity stand and I really enjoyed it! It is a good story, well written and there are a few twists in there as well! I would recommend it.
Martha Grace
Feb 09, 2014 Martha Grace rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Martha by: first by this author
I have a hard time believing nurses would do that...
Marsha
When an organized group medical personnel get caught administering euthanasia due to a rigorous autopsy, those in charge decide to let the blame all on an innocent doctor. As his career begins to implode he fights back as best he can. When one of the nurses decides to come forward as an act of conscious, the bodies begin to add up.

This was a quick read with predictable plot. There is some discussion of the moral dilemma in keeping people alive at the end of life in pain and against their wishes
Glynda Roy
Very good medical mystery.
Marti
This particular book had the plot twist of a doctor who had been an alcoholic and drug user, who got rehabilitated and was finally accepted back at a large hospital--similar to another book I have recently read. Thia doctor gets into trouble when a terminal patient dies, though the deed has been done by a nurse who is a member of the Sisterhood, a group which plays God and deals with euthanasia, or just plain revenge. It starts out slowly, but gets rather exciting in the last third.
Skeetoid
I must preface this review by saying that I have read 4 other books by this author and REALLY liked them! So, I thought it would be good to go back and read his first novel. I was disappointed. The plot seemed tedious, flat and predictable to me. I RARELY stop reading a book, but I put it aside at exactly the half way mark.

Having said that, I will read more by Michael Palmer. I feel like he really grew into himself as an author with his later books.
Michele
An interesting commentary on euthenasia. The author goes so far as to call it that rather than to keep referring to it as mercy killing. It also puts the main question of where the line is drawn for this kind of thing into focus. It was a good story. I had some of it figured out and other parts not so much, so it was as predictable as what I thought it was going to be. Some of it didn't contribute much to the overall story. I'd recommend it.
P.S. Winn
I have read many books by this author and each one has fascinated and thrilled me. Mr. Palmer writes such viable tales that will thrill and horrify readers. How much is true, this reader thinks many things that the author talks about are either true or a very strong possibility to be true. I love the adventure and the medical knowledge the author brings to his books. I found The sister hood to be one of the better books and I loved it.
  • Lethal Practice (Dr. Earl Garnet, #1)
  • Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #4)
  • The Takeover
  • Pandemic
  • The Tree People
  • Murder on the Brighton Express (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #5)
  • Black Drop: A Sage Adair Historical Mystery of the Pacific Northwest (Sage Adair Mysteries, #4)
  • Company of Moths
  • The Killing House (Malcolm Fletcher, #1)
  • The Last Innocent Man
Michael Palmer, M.D., 1942-2013, was the author of Political Suicide, Oath of Office, A Heartbeat Away, The Last Surgeon, The Second Opinion, The First Patient, The Fifth Vial, The Society, Fatal, The Patient, Miracle Cure, Critical Judgment, Silent Treatment, Natural Causes, Extreme Measures, Flashback, Side Effects, and The Sisterhood. His books have been translated into thirty-five languages.

He
More about Michael Palmer...
Silent Treatment Natural Causes The Last Surgeon Fatal The First Patient