Start by marking “Not Fade Away” as Want to Read:
Not Fade Away

Jim Dodge

Not Fade Away

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  484 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Not Fade Away is a rock 'n' roll road novel with rhythm to burn, traveling in time from the Beat era to the dawn of the sixties. George Gastin is a San Francisco tow-truck operator who wrecks cars as part of an insurance scam. One of the cars Gastin is hired to destroy is a snow-white 1959 Cadillac that was supposed to be a present for the Big Bopper, who dies in a plane c ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Grove/Atlantic, Inc. (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Not Fade Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Fade Away

Max Nemtsov
Не спрашивайте, почему я дочитал его только сейчас. Время пришло.

Первый из двух крупных романов великого пост-битника и около-хиппи, одного из немногих еще живых мудрецов современной мировой литературы (да, это честь — жить на одной планете и в одно время с Джимом Доджем) — скорее исторически-культурологический, нежели «сигнально-опорный». Он примерно идеален — рок-н-ролльно-наркотический роман дороги, основанный на мифологии середины ХХ века, что нужно еще? Додж увязывает в одном повествовании
Simon
Not Fade Away by Jim Dodge (www.canongate.net)
Several years ago I read Jim Dodge's Stone
Junction after my old friend Gurbs had recommended
it and loved every word of it which is why it's
strange that it took me so long to getting round
to getting Jims other books, well this xmas just
gone Santa delivered them to me.
Damn Not Fade Away is a great read and like the
books narrator Floorboard George it is soaked in
Benzedrine and flashes by at great speed so you
feel like your gobbling down the benn
Christian
I've sometimes struggled slightly to relate to the whole road trip thing. Maybe it's living in a pretty compact country. I mean, a road trip in the UK generally consists of a couple of hours up the motorway, maybe stopping off at a service station for a cup of tea and a muffin if wanting to drag things out a bit.

That said, this is largely pretty engaging stuff, picking up pace as it goes. Floorboard George seems a likeable if somewhat drug-addled character and narrates the main body of the story
Rebecca eley
More jim dodge. Love this too and I didn't expect the end. It's like road trip with a twist. It spoiled on the road for me couldn't even finish it all seemed a bit dull. Even more randomness than hunter s thompson
wally
3rd from dodge for me...all recent...the other two his Stone Junction and Fup...don't recall the stone junction pub-date...but i think fup is from 1983...yep, from when dodge was 38

this one, 1987 and there's a...8-line dedication...mom, brother bob, a whole slew of people...slew? seems to fit.

followed by an acknowledgments page...another big long list of folk...not enough he'd need to buy obama-insurance...but almost

the title
i take it the title comes from a buddy holly tune..."not fade away" th
Blair
Hellloooo Bayyy-bee! Being a rabid fan of Dodge's "Stone Junction" I was eager to slip my mind into another one of his works. This book is a wild romp along the highways of the U.S. of A., set in an era where music along with the country it inspired were still trying to figure things out. We are given another memorable character in George Gastin with whom the book rollicks along with at a feverish pace. The novel is a speed-fueled, beer guzzling, pursuit for the truth behind love, friendship and ...more
José Gutiérrez
Jack Kerouac eat your heart out. This is the book On The Road wanted to be but lacked the hairy balls. Flatboard George is just one of a dozen memorable maniacs you'll meet on this odyssey. Dodge writes like a lysergic angel with two fistful of bennies. Like the song of the title, this book delivers the laced goods with an arsenic wit and a whole lotta heart. His asides on music, poetry and jazz are just a few of the treats along the way. Also highly recommend Stone Junction and his excellent co ...more
Seenepoiss
Epic tale,(apologies for using the unfortunate most suitable descriptive) of finding yourself after helping others find what they are looking for. Loved it and suggest it to anyone who should have been born in the 50's or 60's. Great intertwining of actual history and painting a picture of a decade where all was lost and then found again.
David
Slick pulp-noir road novel about 50s rock and roll, redemption and something something maybe. Unfortunately, I lost interest in the trip a little while before Mr Dodge did.
Lisa Kavanaugh
Not as good as Stone Junction but his rapid fire, roller coaster prose is still mind blowing. I intend to read everything Jim Dodge has ever written. Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll.
Leon Moore
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. After going through a rough patch in my life, this book helped me find my mojo, my confidence and helped me find my unique outlook on life again.

Its fast paced while being deeply profound and contemplative. I chuckled gasped cried and at the end felt like i'd read a book that'll stay with me for a longtime!

George Gastin is my new hero!
Graeme
Ah, Americana, but not in an annoying Eagles-type way - endless highways, diners, the golden age of rock 'n' roll. Some guy trundling around in the Big Bopper's old car. Not earth-shattering, but entertaining enough. Apparently that wee book Fup is meant to be quite good, but reckon I'll wait til I have a comfy seat in a bookshop rather than buying it.
Sterling
Great stuff, like Fear And Loathing...but more spiritual. Like watching Yosemite Sam run up into the rolling hills only to be exploded by a menacing trail of black powder.
Nate Jordon
For thesis research...

Follows the archetypal road novel trajectory; the tall-tale yarning protagonist eventually picks up various hitchhikers and travelers with their own tales to tell, each with a philosophical bent, on his journey through the late fifties and sixties to reach the grave of the Big Bopper.
Richard
Great hitchiking adventure! A bit aimless, but it moves like a leopard with the soul of Kilimanjaro. Like a potato its got lots of good bits, but the whole is maybe a bit beige. Reads like loads of short story ideas, so maybe its more like crisps.
Andrew
I would have liked this book more when I was younger... not much more than a drug-addled race across the country with less poetic notions or wisdom than keruac wrote 2 decades prior. Zany story, but lacks the flair of Tom Robbins.
sandra
I didn't like this one nearly as much as Stone Junction. I skimmed a lot toward the end when I realized it was just the author blathering on in a non-entertaining stream of consciousness method. bleh.
Nicole
It's like "on the road" but much better. don't know why it never became as popular.
McCutcheon
Enjoyed most of the novel very much except when it went into a sorta hippie hallucination side track that is prevalent to certain US writers of a certain age ( and drug intake.)
Kristie
Not as fabulous as "Fup" but still pretty good. How can I describe this book? An acid road trip in the Big Bopper's car, lots of interesting characters. Rock and Roll.
Steven Hargreaves
Loved this as a counter-Beat book. Mostly a page turner, things get naturally weirder as the book goes on. Some dialogue is brilliant especially Double Gone.
Chanda
It's like On the Road + Fear and Loathing
Clarity Jackson
A vibrant tour of musical mindscapes and wild road trips with a big splash of history and laughter. I loved this book
Joshua Heckathorn
Great story that has a few twists along the way. The Book ends in a blaze of glory and insanity. Hilarious read!
Torsten
on the road on speed and benzos... feel the need to detoxify for a while after that "trip"...
Cheyenne
There is Jack Kerouac, and there are the ones who try to be him. Well try harder.
Ирина
Не сбавляй оборотов. Не гаси огней
Dmcsween
Good one. Great dialogue.
Tony Woods
Best book written, ever.
  • Liars Anonymous
  • The Kinky Friedman Crime Club (Kinky Friedman, #1-3)
  • The Annunciation
  • The Sea Came in at Midnight
  • Classic Crews: A Harry Crews Reader
  • Sarah
  • Full of Life
Jim Dodge is an American novelist and poet whose works combine themes of folklore and fantasy, set in a timeless present. He has published three novels, Fup, Not Fade Away and Stone Junction and a collection of poetry and prose, Rain on the River. Dodge was born in 1945 and grew up as an Air Force brat. As an adult he spent many years living on an almost self-sufficient commune in West Sonoma Coun ...more
More about Jim Dodge...
Fup Stone Junction Rain on the River: Selected Poems and Short Prose Baking with Jim Dodge FUT

“you're a mess now, but you'll be laughing about it in fifty years.” 2 likes