Start by marking “Confederate States Of America” as Want to Read:
Confederate States Of America

Confederate States Of America

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This title provides an insightful conjecture on the possible outcomes of the American Civil War, following the consequences of the 'what if' scenario.
Hardcover
Published July 28th 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Confederate States Of America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confederate States Of America

Jack
I have read numerous books about how the South could have won the Civil War. Some better than others.

This is not a novel. it is a scholarly attempt by Roger Ransom to examine what happens after 1865 to the Confederate States of America after their victory over Federal forces.

Excellant footnotes and bibliography. The sections regarding economics were well written and thought provoking. He made numerous references to other 'counterfactual' books and articles.

However, some of the information abou
April Helms
Maybe I'm strange, but I love talking with my friends about the "what ifs" in history. What if Hitler would have stopped with Austria. What if Watergate was never uncovered. What if the Confederacy won the Civil War.
It's this last "what if" that makes up Ransom's interesting and very dense book. This isn't a novel you can sit down and read in one setting, but for history buffs who like to see a possible "alternate universe," this is a must-read. What's nice is this book goes through what really
Matt Mitrovich
When someone wants to change the outcome of a war, they usually jump into their time machine and give the losing side modern weapons, like AK-47s. I for one think knowledge is a more potent weapon, so if I wanted to change the outcome of the American Civil War I would go back to 1861 and give Lee and Davis The Confederate States of America: What Might Have Been by Roger L. Ransom.

The Confederate States of America is a counterfactual history of the America stretching from the beginning of the cou
Robert Brents
If you're familiar with the events of the Civil War, the first few chapters can seem tedious, but remember, this was written by an academic as a serious counterfactual history of the Civil War and the Confederacy. I found it to be the most well-reasoned "alternative history" of the CSA I have yet read. It was not as interesting a read as I expected, but it was very believable and I'm glad I stayed with it.
Clay Davis
A very well researched book about the Cofederate States of America.
Jim
Mar 07, 2010 Jim is currently reading it
cool book. counterfactual reality (?) but well done mix of facts and what could have happened and the result of that. i like it.
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
efd
efd marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Sam D
Sam D marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Dec 10, 2013
Gina
Gina added it
Dec 05, 2013
Robert Brunck
Robert Brunck marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Engine
Engine marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Gmoney.gold
Gmoney.gold marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
One Kind of Freedom: The Economic Consequences of Emancipation Conflict and Compromise: The Political Economy of Slavery, Emancipation and the American Civil War Coping With Capitalism: The Economic Transformation Of The United States, 1776 1980 Research in Economic History: Emergence of the Modern Political Economy, Supplement 4 Research in Economic History