Start by marking “Confederate States Of America” as Want to Read:
Confederate States Of America

Confederate States Of America

3.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This title provides an insightful conjecture on the possible outcomes of the American Civil War, following the consequences of the 'what if' scenario.
Hardcover
Published July 28th 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Confederate States Of America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confederate States Of America

Jack
Feb 17, 2014 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read numerous books about how the South could have won the Civil War. Some better than others.

This is not a novel. it is a scholarly attempt by Roger Ransom to examine what happens after 1865 to the Confederate States of America after their victory over Federal forces.

Excellant footnotes and bibliography. The sections regarding economics were well written and thought provoking. He made numerous references to other 'counterfactual' books and articles.

However, some of the information abou
Socraticgadfly
Jan 29, 2015 Socraticgadfly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
The first half of this book, the intro, and an alternative history scenario about how the Confederacy could have won the Civil War, is plausible.

The second half, about what would have happened after 1865?

Not very plausible at all.

1. New Mexico would have resisted being part of South in any peace treaty; Hispanics hated Texans; NM whites would often have joined them in an internal Confederate Civil War, especially if NM residents would have supplied Comanches
2. Lincoln in 1863 couldn’t get tiny D
April Helms
Oct 04, 2009 April Helms rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, history
Maybe I'm strange, but I love talking with my friends about the "what ifs" in history. What if Hitler would have stopped with Austria. What if Watergate was never uncovered. What if the Confederacy won the Civil War.
It's this last "what if" that makes up Ransom's interesting and very dense book. This isn't a novel you can sit down and read in one setting, but for history buffs who like to see a possible "alternate universe," this is a must-read. What's nice is this book goes through what really
Matt Mitrovich
Jan 27, 2013 Matt Mitrovich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When someone wants to change the outcome of a war, they usually jump into their time machine and give the losing side modern weapons, like AK-47s. I for one think knowledge is a more potent weapon, so if I wanted to change the outcome of the American Civil War I would go back to 1861 and give Lee and Davis The Confederate States of America: What Might Have Been by Roger L. Ransom.

The Confederate States of America is a counterfactual history of the America stretching from the beginning of the cou
Robert Brents
Jun 27, 2014 Robert Brents rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're familiar with the events of the Civil War, the first few chapters can seem tedious, but remember, this was written by an academic as a serious counterfactual history of the Civil War and the Confederacy. I found it to be the most well-reasoned "alternative history" of the CSA I have yet read. It was not as interesting a read as I expected, but it was very believable and I'm glad I stayed with it.
David R.
This is one of the more cerebral counterfactuals I have seen in many years. Ransom approaches the subject as something of an economist and delivers up some thoughtful ideas about the way a Confederate victory may have occurred (as usual, at Gettysburg). The concluding scene (after a war in 1918) is ludicrous, ruining the effect.
Clay Davis
Oct 29, 2012 Clay Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very well researched book about the Cofederate States of America.
Jim
Mar 07, 2010 Jim is currently reading it
cool book. counterfactual reality (?) but well done mix of facts and what could have happened and the result of that. i like it.
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Rob Trainor
Rob Trainor is currently reading it
Mar 19, 2016
Hany Kalash
Hany Kalash marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
D J Rout
D J Rout rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Rodrigo
Rodrigo marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Andy Villanueva III
Andy Villanueva III marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Bret Drager
Bret Drager marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Tamara
Tamara added it
Jan 17, 2016
Steve
Steve is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2016
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Pat Pettite
Pat Pettite rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2016
Tim Armstrong
Tim Armstrong marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Jason Laque
Jason Laque rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Chris Stancil
Chris Stancil rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2015
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Matthew Kenneth
Matthew Kenneth marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Joe Schweizer
Joe Schweizer rated it liked it
May 17, 2015
Dylan Rice
Dylan Rice marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Jeff Pruett
Jeff Pruett rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015