The Program (Tim Rackley #2)

The Program (Tim Rackley #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  454 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The series that started it all!

In this powerful follow-up to his action-packed thriller The Kill Clause, Gregg Hurwitz, the new maestro of pulse-pounding suspense, ratchets up the excitement with another sensational page-turner featuring Tim Rackley, a driven lawman motivated by honor, morality, and a deep sense of justice.

Called back into the fold of the U.S. Marshals Ser...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published August 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Program, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Program

Kristen
If you love intense thrillers, you'll enjoy the Progrmam by Gregg Hurwitz. Tim Rackley have been recruited by Will Henning to extradite his step-daughter Leah from a cult, once he gets his badge back from the US Marshals. With no information to go on, he looks for clues, past cult members, and members, to get his ticket in. Under a new persona, he goes to the Program, a mind-control colloquium, when he sees Leah. From there, he finds his way to talk to her and to get her out, while now winds up...more
Lena
The Program tells the story of a disgraced cop who redeems himself by infiltrating a dangerous cult to rescue a vulnerable young woman. Hurwitz has done his research and writes with convincing detail about the methodology behind aggressive recruitment techniques, offshore financial shenanigans, and some of the more insidious kinds of mind-control. At the same time, however, the cult he writes about is so extreme as to border on caricature. Most of the members of his group are very one-dimensiona...more
Deb Mj
Excellent book. A really chilling depiction of a psychological cult. I like to read my serial books in order and didn't realize this was a follow-up to Kill Clause with the Tim Rackley character. I'll definitely look for that as well as any additional books in the Rackley series.

Having just finished Hurwitz's Minutes to Burn and being less than impressed, I was thrilled to enjoy this one as much as I did. Great character development across the board. Really hard to put down; in fact I awoke at...more
Warren-Newport Public Library
Gregg Hurwitz’s The Program was published in 2004 and is the follow-up to The Kill Clause. It is a a compelling look at a flawed but virtuous man that is struggling to do what’s right regardless of the issues for himself.

Called back into the fold of the U.S. Marshals Service, Tim Rackley is tasked with retrieving Leah Henning, the daughter of a powerful Hollywood producer, from a mind control cult. As Tim winds his way deep undercover inside an insidious operation called The Program, he confront...more
Chris Hamilton
Most of what I've read about this book indicates that Hurwitz did a very good job researching cults. I believe the accuracy of his work, so there's a long hard look inside both the process used by cults to indoctrinate people, as the blind spots in the law when it comes to protecting people. Some of the narrative seems a little obvious and heavy-handed, but the reader knows what's going on and isn't inclined to give TD and the Program the benefit of the doubt. The people entering the beginning p...more
Phyllis Sommers
An outstanding fast-paced thriller, revolving around an insidious cult known as "The Program." The megalomaniacal leader of the cult, TD (Terrence Donald) Betters, aka "The Teacher," is hoping to build a world-wide dynasty. He and the "Pros," who take orders from him and do his dirty work, identify wealthy, troubled members of society and invite them to a 1-day seminar, to be followed by a 3-day retreat which is open to only a selectively-invited few. Those few typically have the greatest wealth...more
kingshearte
This book has several endorsements on the back, saying how much it sucks you in, refuses to let you go, and makes you want to stay up all night reading it. They're not wrong. I didn't stay up all night or anything, but I did find myself finding opportunities to get some reading in when I don't normally. It really was very enthralling and suspenseful, and while I knew Tim would survive, because the jacket says that Hurwitz was working on the next Tim Rackley novel, but I had no guarantees for any...more
Sharon
"The Program" is one of those books that I hated to put down when real life got in the way of my reading time!

Gregg Hurwitz presents us with Tim Rackley, a former US Marshal, who is brought back into the service for one purpose only: to retrieve a film mogul's daughter from a mind-control cult. In order to do so, he goes underground in the organization itself.

Hurwitz obviously knows his stuff. While it's quite clear that The Program is an amalgamation of such groups, I recognized the recruiting...more
Robert
Shades of Jim Jones and Peoples Temple of Guyana run through this second Tim Rackley novel. Rack is given his shield back through some back room politics to find the daughter of a wealthy movie producer. It seems as if she has joined some whack a doo cult that has recruited her off of her college campus. Hurwitz will take the reader on a nice guided tour through The Program showing just how these people can be sucked into giving up everything that they ever had. And Rack will be there to track t...more
Betty
Really closer to a 4-1/2 star for me, The Program was a gripping thriller. Hurwitz sends disgraced former U.S. Marshal Tim Rackley into a cult to rescue the daughter of a prominent movie producer. Development of secondary series characters is still a little thin, but the mind control techniques of the cult, the financial shenanigans used to extract the assets of new members for the benefit of the cult leader, and the gaps in the law that make either criminal or civil prosecution difficult all ra...more
Gina
This past summer I was searching through my bookshelves trying to find something to pass the time. I came across this book, which I must have picked up at the yearly book drive a long time ago and figured I would try it out, I had never read anything by Hurwitz before. I must say, I was impressed. I had never read anything centering on cults before, it was very intriguing. This book was well-written, the characters were unique and engaging while the story stayed suspenseful.
Lee
No sophomore slump here in his second Tim Rackley suspense/thriller.
When he goes under cover looking for an eighteen year old that has decided "The Program" is for her, he never imagined the power one man can have over a large group of people. With Hurwitz's description and painting a good picture of what was going on, it's a disturbing revelation. Hard to fathom what people will do under mind-control of a greedy, sick SOB. Recommend this series, and I have two more to go.
Kia
Awesome book! Intelligent, incredibly well-researched, thrilling. Basically, a US Marshall is brought back into service to help a wealthy Hollywood producer retrieve his 18-year-old daughter from a dangerous cult. I learned a great deal about cults (and about social devices used to control people in general). Good characters you can genuinely admire and root for. Great action. Satisfying ending. Some violence, which only enhances the story: nothing gratuitous.
Corey Baltzer
A great read with action, suspense, and justice. What more can you ask for?
Michael Naughton
Thought leaders? I think naught! Another great Hurwitz read.
Skip
Former US Marshall Tim Rackley is now a security guard, but is redeputized to help locate a political donor's step daughter, who has joined a cult. Rackley goes undercover and gets in deep. Crisply written, terrifying look into brainwashing and cults. Along with wife Dray and a cult escapee, Tim heroically rescues the college-age girl.
Dee
This book is Flippin AMAZING! Please dont end... About the world of suggestion and A look at the characters who are recruited into the program only to find their minds manipulated by a master cult leader who makes you can make you believe that up is down and left is right. A great novel. WOW This is the book to BUST your boredom.
D. Norman
Couldn't find my way into this story. Too much dwelling on his dead daughter. Unrealistic cult. Large sections of boring exposition. Skipped large chunks then decided not to finish. I've had the feeling with a few of his other books that he needs a better editor. Probably done reading him.
Steve
Well written thriller about a damaged ex-deputy marshall infiltrating a cult in an to attempt to retrieve a missing girl. Good pacing, nice plot twists and very sympathetic characters (with warts and all).

This was my first Hurwitz novel, and I will definitely read others in the series.
Jp
This book is where Hurwitz is reaching his stride. A solid thriller, tastes of a mystery and a fantastic, page turner. This is the Gregg Hurwitz that I wanted to read more of when I read "The Crime Writer".
Can't wait for the next one.
Alan Cook
If you have ever known anyone who has been in a cult, as I have, you'll find THE PROGRAM chilling. I believe Gregg actually joined a cult to research this. I'm just glad he got out so he can write more good books.
Elizabeth Allred
This story pulled me in and kept me awake until I finished it. I've always been fascinated with cults and it was interesting to read about one from an undercover cop's point of view as he joined to save a young woman.
jessica wilson
I just really, really got into the story. The writing is very descriptive and the characters are interesting enough. I had a hard time putting it down between readings and enjoyed it as a whole. Great thriller!
Simon
Another fast paced book based on cult behavior - intertwine this with a fading Hollywood producer and Tim Rackley's code of honor and you have another fast paced book. It was hard to put down.
Michele
This is the sequel to the Kill Clause. I didn't enjoy this one anywhere near as much. It got so boring in the middle. I finally just skimmed through the rest. Disappointing.
Jack
Rackley comes back, believe it or not, in a very different novel from _Kill Clause_, but one that retains the thoughtful elements that make for a compelling thriller
Joe O'c
Excellent; Continuing character: Tim Rackley; ex-marshall is reenlisted in order to try and infiltrate a cult and save the daughter of a powerful man
Deborah
I've read most (all) of Hurwitz's newer books and enjoyed them much more. I struggled with this one and almost gave up a few times.
Mom
Disturbing story of a mind-controlling group (not religious), that is taken down by the hero. Not one of my favorite books.
Kristi
I liked it a lot. I got this without realizing it was the 2nd book in a series. I am looking forward to reading the others.
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • The Silenced (Jonathan Quinn, #4)
  • Manitou Blood (Manitou, #4)
  • Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)
  • Hide Your Eyes
  • The Death List
  • Sullivan's Justice (Carolyn Sullivan, #2)
  • Pandora's Clock
  • A Study in Scarlet
  • The Wind Dancer/Storm Winds
  • Hunter (Dylan Hunter #1)
  • The Murder Artist: A Thriller
  • Nothing But Trouble (Kevin Kerney, #10)
  • The Accident Man (Samuel Carver, #1)
  • The Night Monster (Jack Carpenter #3)
  • Pale Horse Coming (Earl Swagger, #2)
  • The Executor
  • Strong Enough to Die (Caitlin Strong, #1)
AKA Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Gregg Hurwitz is the critically acclaimed, New York Times and internationally bestselling author of fourteen novels, most recently Don’t Look Back, You’re Next, The Survivor and Tell No Lies. His books have been nominated for numerous awards, shortlisted twice for best novel of the year by International Thriller Writers, nominated for CWA’s Ian Fleming Steel Dagger, chosen...more
More about Gregg Hurwitz...
You're Next They're Watching The Survivor Trust No One The Crime Writer