Start by marking “Homegrown Herbs: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies for Growing and Using 101 Herbs” as Want to Read:

In "Homegrown Herbs," Tammi Hartung provides the definitive guide to planting, growing, harvesting, and using more than 100 herbs. An internationally renowned herbalist, teacher, and certified organic grower, Hartung has filled this indispensable reference with a wide range of information gathered from her 30 years of studying and working hands-on with these amazing ...more
Published March 2nd 2011 by Storey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Homegrown Herbs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homegrown Herbs

EdibleNotesReviews
It is hard to imagine a more concise, enlightened or creative approach to the art, science and spirituality of herb gardening than Homegrown Herbs by noted herbalist and gardener Tammi Hartung (Storey Publishing). Hartung brings the spirit of plant and place together with gardeners and cooks in a way in this book that is at once uplifting, challenging and achievable.

It seems that great pains have been taken in many books on the subject of growing herbs and their uses to make them both devoid of
Lizzie
I speed-read through Homegrown Herbs today, and am impressed with what I saw. The layout of the book is easily accessible. It gives an overview of the basic requirements for some of the most common herbs in a garden. She advocated the use of nettles (huzzah!), she gave different drawings for garden designs - overall it looks like a solid book. I'll refrain from marking it as read until I can read it in more detail.

Side note: I was forewarned by my teachers at my herbal school that the author ad
Melissa
Jun 14, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
A must-have for every herbalist and gardener.

Wow. Where do I even begin with this book?

This book is truly a must-have guide. It is chocked full of recipes, remedies, color photographs, and detailed information on cultivating your own herbs.

What I found especially useful about this book is how it is so extensive but still manages to be so detailed, simple, but not sloppy. This book covers everything from foraging recipes to how to create your own ointments to how to disinfect your garden tools.
Lesley
Apr 30, 2014 Lesley rated it it was amazing
Not finished yet but I love this book so much I renewed it at library. Uhmm I might need to buy it. Too much good info in here!

Now done- excellent info in here! I put this on my wishlist to buy on amazon. This would become a great addition for my personal library.
Lisa
Nov 04, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
I currently have checked out from library. I like it for the beautiful photos and all the useful suggestions, good inspiration. Also helping me to see what grows best in my soil, which has a lot of clay.
Sara Harrison
This is a really cool reference book for growing herbs. It talks about how to design the garden, how to care for the plants, and how to use them.
Ilene
Ilene rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2014
Kristen Peterson
Kristen Peterson rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2015
Allie Swatts
Allie Swatts rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2014
Camilla
Camilla rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Jessie
Jessie rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Tina
Tina rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Coastsiders
Coastsiders rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Rosh
Rosh rated it really liked it
May 28, 2013
Samantha  Wlazlak
Samantha Wlazlak rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2015
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Jennifer Williamson
Jennifer Williamson rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Aubrey
Aubrey rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Cheryl Clearwater
Cheryl Clearwater rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2013
Brianna Godette
Brianna Godette rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Gwen
Gwen rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Lola
Lola rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family
  • Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Perfectly Timed Gardening for Your Most Bountiful Harvest Ever
  • Garden Anywhere: How to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more, without spending a fortune
  • The Wild & Weedy Apothecary: An A to Z Book of Herbal Concoctions, Recipes & Remedies, Practical Know-How & Food for the Soul
  • Sacred Plant Medicine: The Wisdom in Native American Herbalism
  • Backyard Medicine: Harvest and Make Your Own Herbal Remedies
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • RX from the Garden: 101 Food Cures You Can Easily Grow
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Complete Medicinal Herbal
  • Don't Throw It, Grow It!: 68 Windowsill Plants From Kitchen Scraps
  • Making Plant Medicine
  • Edible Wild Plants: Wild Foods from Dirt to Plate
  • Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood
  • Self-Sufficiency: A Complete Guide to Baking, Carpentry, Crafts, Organic Gardening, Preserving Your Harvest, Raising Animals, and More!
  • Edible Landscaping