Start by marking “Il lato oscuro dell'anima” as Want to Read:
Il lato oscuro dell'anima

Il lato oscuro dell'anima

Una Chevrolet nera del '66 e in viaggio verso il Texas del nord. A bordo, una banda di teppisti con l'unico desiderio di seminare terrore e morte, e compiere un'orribile vendetta.
Paperback, Tascabili immaginario, 271 pages
Published April 1st 2007 by Fanucci (TIF) (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Il lato oscuro dell'anima, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il lato oscuro dell'anima

Evans Light
This book did not disappoint.

I'm not sure exactly where The Nightrunners lies in Lansdale's chronology, but that it is one of his earlier works is a frequently-mentioned fact. Although somewhat uneven in style and tone (especially through the middle section), this book is written with such a hunger and raw passion that I can't imagine any fan of Lansdale's horror not loving this one.

The language drips with creativity, and even though the end wasn't as wildly inventive as I expected it would be c
Quentin Wallace
Aug 26, 2015 Quentin Wallace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a ride! I've been a Lansdale fan for years, mostly due to his weird western work. This is a not a weird western, but I was blown away by it.

This is almost like a supernatural version of the book (and movie) Straw Dogs. You have this group of teens, (the leader possessed by an evil entity), terrorizing a couple in a remote cabin. This is definitely not for the faint of heart, as it's quite graphic. It's also very powerful. It has one of the best climactic endings I've ever read. I was liter
Marvin
Feb 08, 2016 Marvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is an earlier Lansdale novel. It has a bit of a reputation since it sets the stage for many of Lansdale's later themes and it was probably ahead of its time in its depiction of sex, violence and gore. The Nightrunners is often cited as a pioneer of the splatter-punk sub-genre.

All this may be true but it is still an early work and it shows. Lansdale's style seems to be on unsteady ground and the dialogue does not show the razor wit of his later books. Yet this is still a very tense and rivet
Corey
Aug 26, 2013 Corey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lurid, ugly, brutal and badly written. Possibly the worst book I've ever read; surely the worst book I've ever finished. Why did I finish it? I guess it's similar to what Pauline Kael said about "An Officer and a Gentleman,": "It's crap, but it's crap on a motorcycle."
Now I think I'll read Dante.
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Jan 21, 2012 Kurt Reichenbaugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Early Lansdale novel that doesn't hold back on the brutality. Has more of a 1970's vibe to it because of references to Vietnam, Raquel Welch along with the sociological themes. Worth looking for. I first read it more than 20 years ago but had forgotten the story. Best read on the front porch with an 8-track copy of FUNHOUSE rattling your old stereo speakers.
Lee
Jan 26, 2014 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally had to buy me a copy online - to read this early Lansdale tale. He didn't hold back his punches in this story, of sex and murder. He showed us the really dark side of the human soul, the twisted, revengeful side of even young souls. This thing carries some raw power, as he was establishing himself with what has become his style in some of his novels - East Texas noir.
Adam Light
Joe Lansdale is in fine form with this one. It was short but crammed with the author's signature style. Certainly one of the better books I've read this year so far.
Robin Edman
Mar 29, 2012 Robin Edman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I swear, this guy could write Bible lessons and I would read them, he's that much fun. Had to skip the animal stuff, though; I just hate it when the dog gets hurt. And the cat. And then a few more critters. If I knew how to write, I would only kill humans. I don't though, so I just watch others do it.
Kealan Burke
Far from my favorite Lansdale. An early novel that suffers from typical early novel problems and shows none of the lyricism with language or literal restraint that classifies the author's best work. An ugly story about ugly people told in a fairly unpleasant manner. Lansdale only got better from here.
Chris Berko
Oct 03, 2015 Chris Berko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slick, fast and intense. Good brainless fun.
Moloch
Feb 17, 2015 Moloch rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Moloch by: Articolo Corsera
Lansdale è un autore che molti amano alla follia; non ho mai condiviso questo entusiasmo, ma negli anni qualcosa di suo l'ho letto. Un racconto compreso nella raccolta Lo schermo dell'incubo, se non ricordo male (qualcosa su un autobus pieno di suore?), un altro in Revelations (un incontro di pugilato negli anni '10 o '20 interrotto dallo scatenarsi di un uragano: mi pare che quest'ultimo sia stato recentemente ampliato fino a farne un romanzo, L'anno dell'uragano, appunto), In fondo alla palude ...more
Don Gillette
Oct 25, 2016 Don Gillette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Think of a supernatural Silence of the Lambs or Norman Mailer's In Cold Blood with a demon in the backseat while Dick Hickock and Perry Smith were driving through Kansas.
This book will keep you turning the pages well into the wee hours of the morning... and when you run up on The God Of The Razor, you're going to realize you've just met the ultimate monster.
When Joe R. Lansdale is on, he's on--and he's never been more on than in The Nightrunners.
Lafang84
Avrei dato un 3.5. È stato un libro da leggere tutto d'un fiato, crudele e brutale. Dallo stile, dall'evolversi della trama si evince un Lansdale ancora giovane e acerbo ma si percepisce la grandezza in divenire dello scrittore.
CasualDebris
Feb 25, 2010 CasualDebris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I understand the appeal of this early Lansdale novel, as it does have a few things to commend it: a strong though at times inconsistent pace, good dialog & a sincere interest in character. There is a kind of desperation in these pages, the overwhelming sense of mortals caught in a Lovecraftian world governed by unforgiving forces, where humans are impotent against some diabolical power, "The God of the Razor," & are mere puppets in its unfathomable plot to destroy life. Despite these int ...more
Callie S.
Altro Lansdale d'annata, per me; ennesima battaglia tra ragione e sentimento sul filo del giudizio.
Il lato oscuro dell'anima non è un romanzo perfetto. A valutarlo con onestà, anzi, mi viene da dire che i difetti sono di gran lunga superiori ai pregi. Sotto il profilo della tecnica compositiva è tanto grezzo che, a tratti, si fatica a mantenere salda una visione dell'insieme. A valutare i caratteri, lo stereotipo vince spesso sull'interpretazione.
E' un'Arancia Meccanica texana che coinvolge s
William Stacey
Mar 14, 2014 William Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll get this out of the way right off the bat: The Nightrunners is not Joe R. Lansdale's best book, not by a long shot. On the other hand, it was a lot of fun, and it was pretty disturbing. To be fair, I think this is a much older book for Joe R. Lansdale, so it makes perfect sense that he's so much better now. He really has grown as an author. Nice to know your best work is still ahead of you. At any rate, as I said, this was a pretty darned good book, even if his Hap and Leonard novels are wo ...more
Adam Wilson
Although I had only read three of Lansdale's books before picking up The Nightrunners, I was nearly certain that I would like everything the man has written. I loved

his characterization, straight-forward story-telling, and his ability to fill his books with emotion. Sadly, I thought that The Nightrunners lacked these qualities,

along with most other attributes which make up a good novel. With prose as sloppy as a bunch of blind senior citizens at a spaghetti dinner, a very familiar plot, and

un
Duane
Picture a jet black ’66 Chevy roaring down a dark stretch of highway, full of a group of the most dementedly evil teenagers to ever be depicted on the printed page. Envision what may happen to anyone unfortunate enough to cross paths with this demonic tribe of youth gone wild. Ponder who or what may lie at the end of their sinister journey. That’s all you need to know to take your ride with Joe R. Lansdale’s The Nightrunners. This novel is truly a dark passage into the minds of madness as it roa ...more
Adelina
Apr 11, 2016 Adelina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, action
This was good, my first splatter book. It gave me some very nasty feelings and I noticed that sometimes I made expressions with my face only 'cos of the gore. Only few things I did'nt like; I would have liked to get to know Loony and Stone a bit more. Also the policemen fustrated me, yes they where hilarious but WHY did they not called for back up immediatly after they found Pope. They wherent dumb cops thou, so why did they act like amateurs. Anyway the ending was great. I kept guessin to the v ...more
Matteo Pellegrini
Jan 22, 2014 Matteo Pellegrini rated it liked it
Shelves: narrativa

Il rapporto tra Becky e Monty sta vivendo un periodo di profonda crisi. A dividerli, l'incapacità dell'uomo di affrontare la terribile violenza subita dalla moglie qualche tempo prima. I due decidono di trascorrere l'inverno in una baita nel nord del Texas per tentare di ricucire la loro relazione, ma il passato riaffiora prepotentemente con la notizia che uno degli assalitori di Becky si è suicidato in carcere. Una morte di cui proprio la donna è ritenuta colpevole, e per la quale la banda esig

Robert
Jan 02, 2014 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having come to the Lansdale game relatively late and only now taking on his earlier works; I rated this book for what it is and not what the spoiled reader of his later works has grown to expect. For its time and genre, this is a quality read. Are there holes? Yep. Does JRL's immaturity as a writer show through more than once? Yes again. But it is a great opportunity to get a glimpse into the developing style and thematic elements that have made me such a fan of his work today.
Cristi An
Jul 19, 2016 Cristi An rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mondolibri
E ora ti divoro! 8 luglio
È così è stato!
Tosto!! Caxxo quanto tosto...
Anche quasi [QUASI] del tutto privo della tipica ironia o scompisciata di risate di L.
Perche questa è una storia davvero nera. Nera che più nera non si può. Qui i personaggi ironici sono di contorno; tutto lo spazio è per il Male.
Un altro Lansdale. Uno dei tanti Lansdale.Ma sempre un grandissimo Lansdale. Come tutti gli altri.+++++
Tim McWhorter
Feb 04, 2016 Tim McWhorter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This early offering from one of my favorite authors is a mess. The problems with this book are too many to even begin to list. By his own admission, Mr. Lansdale himself says he'd love to go back and redo some of it, one of his first books. It definitely needs some heavy-handed editing, but you know what? In the end it is what it is: an entertaining as hell story from one of America's greatest storytellers. And what more can you ask for?
Peter Shovlin
I'm a huge Lansdale fan but I have only just acquired and read this. Having familiarised myself with this author via his Hap and Leonard and other Texas novels, this was probably too gory and unpleasant for me at times. That said, the dialogue crackles along and I didn't struggle finishing it. I'd just take his more recent novels over this one anytime.
Mattia
Nov 24, 2012 Mattia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Una Chevrolet nera del '66 è in viaggio verso il Texas del nord.A bordo,una banda di teppisti con l'unico desiderio di seminare terrore e morte,e compiere un'orribile vendetta"...Poca originalità e tanta violenza cieca e selvaggia ma se conoscete Lansdale sapete già che con il suo stile potrebbe rendere interessante e spassosa anche una lista della spesa. Da leggere!!
incipit mania
Incipit

Mezzanotte. Nera come il cuore di Satana.
Uscirono dall’oscurità in una Chevrolet Impala nera del ‘66, divorando verso nord la statale 59 come tanta succosa caramella mou grigia.....
Il lato oscuro dell'anima incipitmania.com
Steve
Apr 06, 2010 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
Brutal, but not without a considerable dose of black humor. This hard-to-get book is legendary, and there are several stretches in this one that gives weight to that reputation. Lansdale at his wild-man best.
Christian
Three-and-a-half? Maybe two stars? Maybe 5? I don't really know how to feel about it. It is dark, disturbing, funny, weird, scary and disgusting. Think Stephen King writes Straw Dogs directed by the Farrelly brothers.
Michael
A quick, brutal read. I love Joe R., but I'm not always the biggest fan of the God of the Razor stuff. That held here, where I liked the more grounded parts of the story a lot more than the supernatural elements. Worth checking out though.
Jon
May 03, 2014 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The latest in my quest for all things Lansdale. Night Runners is a great, disturbing crime novel/horror story. The villains were probably the creepiest and most familiar I have found in a novel in quite a while.
  • The Scream
  • The Nightwalker
  • Crimson
  • Some of Your Blood
  • Snuff
  • In Silent Graves (Cedar Hill #1)
  • All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By
  • Shadows
  • The Frenzy Way (The Frenzy Wolves, #1)
Joe R. Lansdale is the winner of the British Fantasy Award, the American Horror Award, the Edgar Award, and six Bram Stoker Awards. He lives in Nacogdoches, Texas.
More about Joe R. Lansdale...