Il lato oscuro dell'anima

Il lato oscuro dell'anima

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  675 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Una Chevrolet nera del '66 e in viaggio verso il Texas del nord. A bordo, una banda di teppisti con l'unico desiderio di seminare terrore e morte, e compiere un'orribile vendetta.
Paperback, Tascabili immaginario, 271 pages
Published April 1st 2007 by Fanucci (TIF) (first published 1987)

Evans Light
This book did not disappoint.

I'm not sure exactly where The Nightrunners lies in Lansdale's chronology, but that it is one of his earlier works is a frequently-mentioned fact. Although somewhat uneven in style and tone (especially through the middle section), this book is written with such a hunger and raw passion that I can't imagine any fan of Lansdale's horror not loving this one.

The language drips with creativity, and even though the end wasn't as wildly creative as I expected it would be, c...more
Marvin
This is an earlier Lansdale novel. It has a bit of a reputation since it sets the stage for many of Lansdale's later themes and it was probably ahead of its time in its depiction of sex, violence and gore. The Nightrunners is often cited as a pioneer of the splatter-punk sub-genre.

All this may be true but it is still an early work and it shows. Lansdale's style seems to be on unsteady ground and the dialogue does not show the razor with of his later books. Yet this is still a very tense and rive...more
Lee
I finally had to buy me a copy online - to read this early Lansdale tale. He didn't hold back his punches in this story, of sex and murder. He showed us the really dark side of the human soul, the twisted, revengeful side of even young souls. This thing carries some raw power, as he was establishing himself with what has become his style in some of his novels - East Texas noir.
Corey
Lurid, ugly, brutal and badly written. Possibly the worst book I've ever read; surely the worst book I've ever finished. Why did I finish it? I guess it's similar to what Pauline Kael said about "An Officer and a Gentleman,": "It's crap, but it's crap on a motorcycle."
Now I think I'll read Dante.
Adam Light
Joe Lansdale is in fine form with this one. It was short but crammed with the author's signature style. Certainly one of the better books I've read this year so far.
Robin Edman
I swear, this guy could write Bible lessons and I would read them, he's that much fun. Had to skip the animal stuff, though; I just hate it when the dog gets hurt. And the cat. And then a few more critters. If I knew how to write, I would only kill humans. I don't though, so I just watch others do it.
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Early Lansdale novel that doesn't hold back on the brutality. Has more of a 1970's vibe to it because of references to Vietnam, Raquel Welch along with the sociological themes. Worth looking for. I first read it more than 20 years ago but had forgotten the story. Best read on the front porch with an 8-track copy of FUNHOUSE rattling your old stereo speakers.
Kealan Burke
Far from my favorite Lansdale. An early novel that suffers from typical early novel problems and shows none of the lyricism with language or literal restraint that classifies the author's best work. An ugly story about ugly people told in a fairly unpleasant manner. Lansdale only got better from here.
William Stacey
I'll get this out of the way right off the bat: The Nightrunners is not Joe R. Lansdale's best book, not by a long shot. On the other hand, it was a lot of fun, and it was pretty disturbing. To be fair, I think this is a much older book for Joe R. Lansdale, so it makes perfect sense that he's so much better now. He really has grown as an author. Nice to know your best work is still ahead of you. At any rate, as I said, this was a pretty darned good book, even if his Hap and Leonard novels are wo...more
Adam Wilson
Although I had only read three of Lansdale's books before picking up The Nightrunners, I was nearly certain that I would like everything the man has written. I loved

his characterization, straight-forward story-telling, and his ability to fill his books with emotion. Sadly, I thought that The Nightrunners lacked these qualities,

along with most other attributes which make up a good novel. With prose as sloppy as a bunch of blind senior citizens at a spaghetti dinner, a very familiar plot, and

un...more
Callie S.
Altro Lansdale d'annata, per me; ennesima battaglia tra ragione e sentimento sul filo del giudizio.
Il lato oscuro dell'anima non è un romanzo perfetto. A valutarlo con onestà, anzi, mi viene da dire che i difetti sono di gran lunga superiori ai pregi. Sotto il profilo della tecnica compositiva è tanto grezzo che, a tratti, si fatica a mantenere salda una visione dell'insieme. A valutare i caratteri, lo stereotipo vince spesso sull'interpretazione.
E' un'Arancia Meccanica texana che coinvolge s...more
CasualDebris
I understand the appeal of this early Lansdale novel, as it does have a few things to commend it: a strong though at times inconsistent pace, good dialog & a sincere interest in character. There is a kind of desperation in these pages, the overwhelming sense of mortals caught in a Lovecraftian world governed by unforgiving forces, where humans are impotent against some diabolical power, "The God of the Razor," & are mere puppets in its unfathomable plot to destroy life. Despite these int...more
Matteo Pellegrini

Il rapporto tra Becky e Monty sta vivendo un periodo di profonda crisi. A dividerli, l'incapacità dell'uomo di affrontare la terribile violenza subita dalla moglie qualche tempo prima. I due decidono di trascorrere l'inverno in una baita nel nord del Texas per tentare di ricucire la loro relazione, ma il passato riaffiora prepotentemente con la notizia che uno degli assalitori di Becky si è suicidato in carcere. Una morte di cui proprio la donna è ritenuta colpevole, e per la quale la banda esig

Peter Shovlin
I'm a huge Lansdale fan but I have only just acquired and read this. Having familiarised myself with this author via his Hap and Leonard and other Texas novels, this was probably too gory and unpleasant for me at times. That said, the dialogue crackles along and I didn't struggle finishing it. I'd just take his more recent novels over this one anytime.
Duane
Picture a jet black ’66 Chevy roaring down a dark stretch of highway, full of a group of the most dementedly evil teenagers to ever be depicted on the printed page. Envision what may happen to anyone unfortunate enough to cross paths with this demonic tribe of youth gone wild. Ponder who or what may lie at the end of their sinister journey. That’s all you need to know to take your ride with Joe R. Lansdale’s The Nightrunners. This novel is truly a dark passage into the minds of madness as it roa...more
Jon
The latest in my quest for all things Lansdale. Night Runners is a great, disturbing crime novel/horror story. The villains were probably the creepiest and most familiar I have found in a novel in quite a while.
Ivan Castellucci
Il libro più cupo di Lansdale fra quelli che ho letto.
Per leggere la mia recensione andate qui sul mio blog : http://lifetalesofivanc.blogspot.it/s...
Robert
Having come to the Lansdale game relatively late and only now taking on his earlier works; I rated this book for what it is and not what the spoiled reader of his later works has grown to expect. For its time and genre, this is a quality read. Are there holes? Yep. Does JRL's immaturity as a writer show through more than once? Yes again. But it is a great opportunity to get a glimpse into the developing style and thematic elements that have made me such a fan of his work today.
Tommy
Pulpy on the verge of comic booky. Almost felt like reading an old EC comic, with East Texas affectation. Didn't enjoy, though. I like Joe, and am glad he grew after this one.
Mike
Probably my least favorite Lansdale so far.
Dean
Made me think of Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork Orange and Richard Laymon's Endless Night. A fun, brutal read.
Mattia
"Una Chevrolet nera del '66 è in viaggio verso il Texas del nord.A bordo,una banda di teppisti con l'unico desiderio di seminare terrore e morte,e compiere un'orribile vendetta"...Poca originalità e tanta violenza cieca e selvaggia ma se conoscete Lansdale sapete già che con il suo stile potrebbe rendere interessante e spassosa anche una lista della spesa. Da leggere!!
Kevin Mellor
High-octane, hard-charging stuff. Everything that isn't plot is chucked over the side for ballast. You can't do better than Joe R.-- the fact that he's not more popular than Stephen King is undeniable proof of just how unfair life really is.
Michael
A quick, brutal read. I love Joe R., but I'm not always the biggest fan of the God of the Razor stuff. That held here, where I liked the more grounded parts of the story a lot more than the supernatural elements. Worth checking out though.
Steve
Brutal, but not without a considerable dose of black humor. This hard-to-get book is legendary, and there are several stretches in this one that gives weight to that reputation. Lansdale at his wild-man best.
Julian Meanchoff
It seems like all of his stand-alone novels nowadays are about kids going on adventures so this is a much-welcomed reprint of one of his early novels. Quite brutal subject matter.
Matt Holloway
It's not that I object to gore for its own sake. In fact, I kind of like it. But the story doesn't hold together, and I fear this is a highly overrated JRL effort.
Mike Chinakos
One of the horror writers and books that really helped shape me as a writer. Creepy. Scary. Violent. Brilliant.
H3yd00
Great read, kind of a cross between early Stephen King, and Clive Barker. Nice, fast paced horror,highly recommended.
  • The Scream
  • Dweller
  • The Elementals
  • Crimson
  • The Mailman
  • Bad Moon Rising (Pine Deep, #3)
  • My Work is Not Yet Done: Three Tales of Corporate Horror
  • If You Could See Me Now
Joe R. Lansdale is the winner of the British Fantasy Award, the American Horror Award, the Edgar Award, and six Bram Stoker Awards. He lives in Nacogdoches, Texas.
More about Joe R. Lansdale...
The Bottoms Mucho Mojo (Hap Collins and Leonard Pine, #2) Savage Season (Hap Collins and Leonard Pine, #1) The Two-Bear Mambo (Hap Collins and Leonard Pine, #3) Edge of Dark Water