Start by marking “Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)” as Want to Read:
Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)

Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington #5)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  3,909 ratings  ·  122 reviews
Not a man to dwell on the past, Stone Barrington has no choice but to rattle old skeletons when the people closest to him start dying, and he has little to go on but the suspicion that the killer might be someone he once knew. The trip down memory lane isn't all bad though, for it reunites Stone with his ex-partner, Dino Bacchetti, now head of detectives in the nineteenth ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Worst Fears Realized, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worst Fears Realized

Katy
Please note: I read this book in 2006 from a copy I purchased for myself.

My Reading Experience: I read this book in an afternoon - about 4 hours. I literally could not stop turning the pages. This was an absolutely riveting chapter in Stone Barrington's life; suspenseful, horrifying and at the same time it sets up a lot of the ground floor for his future as well (the house in CT, his car, etc.). My only complaint (and boy is it a doozy) is that for some strange reason between the end of the last
Renee
Stone Barrington lives a life we all want! He is a handsome cop-turned-lawyer, very good suspense in this novel is erratic. You find yourself hooked Woods has all the right ingredients: sex, murder, etc. They just weren't mixed together well to create a great novel. Makes a great summer read.
John Koshak
Nancy
Mike Tueros
This Stone Barrington series is nothing short of amusing, with simple plot lines, and a formula followed perfectly by Woods each time. "Worst Fears Realized" is no different than the previous 4 in the series, with our hero caught in the middle of a murder mystery, being chased by beautiful women that he beds down without great effort, and solving the crime with his good buddy, and NYPD Detective Dino. This time however, the murders hit close to home as someone Stone and Dino put behind bars year ...more
Joyce
I think I'm in love with Stone Barrington.......have read quite a few in this series (unfortunately out of order, but still each book can stand alone--it would be better to read in order written if you can though). Woods has me sitting up in bed, listening to sounds, turning pages like crazy to see what happens. As in most books we all can figure out that good triumphs over evil - but with Woods it is the ride that gives you the thrill. Looking forward to next one I can find!
Gail
Am enjoying reading the series. Always a pretty good story, hard to put down. I find his relationships with women pretty depressing, but I can see why they would be every man's fantasy.

Was confused by his changing Arrington's baby from a girl in one book to a boy in this one. It's hard to believe it was just overlooked, but don't see why it would be necessary. Maybe future books will shed some light?
Marca
Geez, this somehow turned into a goopy erotica novel where the mystery is secondary. Stone Barrington is literally a chick magnet. No, I mean “literally.” Chicks come flying out of the woodwork to bang him. When Stone gets tired of one woman, he pretends they are going on a trip to England. He buys tickets for two, takes her all the way to the airplane gate, then abandons her when they are getting ready to board. (BTW, I don’t think an airline employee would watch Stone’s bags for him in today’s ...more
kerry
Have just started reading Stuart woods books and have started with the stone barrington series first, i have became addicted they are a good read. However the only thing i have to say is when an author writing a series of books then they have to be consistent with the characters etc.... for example in the end of swimming to Catalina arrington calls stone to inform him that she has had the baby and it is a daughter but from the start of worst fears realized it has been changed to a son that she h ...more
Will
Jun 09, 2013 Will rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serious Woods' fans
Jeff
Probably my own fault for jumping into book 5 without a refresher course, funny thing was though half the book was probably taken up with characters back-stories so i didn't miss much. This book just didn't work for me on a lot of levels. I think it came from not being able to identify with the main character, a smarmy retired cop turned lawyer who pulls mad chicks at the drop of a hat. He also seems to be the only cop in New York because everyone knows him (maybe explained in the previous novel ...more
Carmen
Getting tired of this author. Maybe not such a good idea to read all his books in a week. Though the premise of some criminal law enforcement puts away coming after them with a vengeance is interesting. A lot borrowed from "Shawshank Redemption" I think.
Stone still can't keep it in his pants.
He must really be something that all the women he meets are Lolitas and he's just so veddy interesting and well dressed.
Kathleen Provencher
I have been reading the Stone Barrington series in order. This is the 5th book in the series and I've really enjoyed all of them, easy reading with intriguing plots. However, I'm finding his sexual escapades with every woman he encounters tiring and so predictable that I'm not sure how many more books I want to read. Can't he have a relationship with a woman without always having sex involved?
Thom
I like Woods' plot twists and writing style. But I can't get past his protagonist's character flaw of being so easily lead by his "little head." For such an intelligent, disciplined and discerning guy, Stone Barrington is a p*ssy-whipped moron when it comes to attractive women. It might be justifiable with youthful male hormones, but certainly not in a character who's pushing 50. It's also much too predictable of a plot element for me to overlook book-after-book. So I'm abandoning this series an ...more
Kelly
Every cop's (former cop's) nightmare is for those they they love to be threatened or harmed by those from the past. Even when you know who it is, you can't prove it or stop it. That is the premise of this book. If you can keep up with the women Stone is with, you will be fine reading this book. I guess you learn you can't fill the void of a lost love with another.
Coleen
Fast read and fast paced. You know what to expect and can laugh at Stone Barrington's active sex life even as one woman leaves his bed. walks. Another jumps in!
Always interesting and not difficult to follow the story.

Received the book from reading partner who knows I am a fan of Woods.
NV
Good storyline

Liked the story line and the characters.
I did not like the fact that Arrington baby girl in the last book turned into a boy in this one.
Stone is going to be gaining weight if he keeps eating lunch twice a day
bruce dingwall
Weak storyline left unexplained

I found the premise hard to accept and several of the seven main events hard to believe. The author should have but did not tie the storyline together.
Brian Leslie
This was an interesting addition to the Stone Barrington saga. I would not say that this story by itself would stand on its own, but taken with the previous novels there is enough back story to make it worthwhile.
Linda Grizzard
Fun, Fast read.

The plot is interesting as are the characters. The pages turn easily and fast. I enjoyed reading and being swept into the story.
MaryP
Had a hard time getting into it because I didn't realize that this was from a series of books and not the first. Once I got going though I really enjoyed it.
Brenda
I was in the mood for a fast read. This fit the bill. I'm not sure what it is about Stuart Woods' books that makes them such a fun, quick read but I like it. :)
Wes Bartlett
I really enjoy the Stone Barrington Character. This book keep me interested and I did not want to put it down.
Anita Drake
Good story, fast-paced, easy to read. Stone Barrington is an interesting character.
Howard Brittain
Yet another enjoyable episode. Superior plot.
Melissa
Book #31 read in 2015

It's been awhile since I've read this series. I remember why I like it.
Beth Phillips
great book fast pasted and not alot of useless information. enjoyed it .
Alice
Very confusing as to relationships and paternity.
  • Blindfold Game
  • The Shadow Dancer (Wind River Reservation, #8)
  • Shoot Don't Shoot (Joanna Brady, #3)
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald, #8)
  • Early Autumn (Spenser, #7)
  • Lost Lake
  • Chasing A Blond Moon: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #3)
  • The Body in the Piazza (Faith Fairchild, #21)
  • Buried Evidence (Lily Forrester, #2)
  • Fade
  • Mortal Prey (Lucas Davenport, #13)
  • Warning Signs (Alan Gregory, #10)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming To Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10 Holly Barker #4)
  • Two Dollar Bill (Stone Barrington, #11)
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)