Start by marking “Words That Hurt Words That Heal” as Want to Read:
Words That Hurt Words That Heal

Words That Hurt Words That Heal

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The author seeks to help you avoid the tongue's five most trouble-some slips: bragging, complaining, gossip, unchecked anger, and careless remarks, transgressions that sap spiritual strength and offer injury to others.
Published January 1st 1989 by NavPress Publishing Group (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Words That Hurt Words That Heal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Words That Hurt Words That Heal

Natalie Wickham
Oct 29, 2009 Natalie Wickham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
Although I rarely read books more than once, I was compelled to pull this one off my shelves again this year because I knew I needed to work on controlling my tongue and remember being challenged years ago by Mrs. Mayhall’s wisdom that she shares in this book. The book is comprised of short chapters that address many of the traps we fall into regularly with our words. Each chapter is full of Biblical truth and practical advice for those who aim to do a better job of glorifying God with their ton ...more
Jeanie
Apr 03, 2012 Jeanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Words do have great power. We can bring people down and lift them up all with our words. Even our thoughts matter to God. They are well spring of what comes out. To our speech to how we respond can determine if we have words that hurt or heal. In order to have speech controlled by God, we must have lives controlled by God. He must satisfy us. (page 23) It also talks about boasting and sharing information is determined on who gets the glory. I loved her definition of a slanderer. which is anyone ...more
Marice Hill
Aug 20, 2014 Marice Hill rated it really liked it
Did this study as part of a group. A great reminder that we should think before opening our mouths and consider whether what we are saying is really the right thing. Some members of our group had more recent editions which had different study questions. I think the study questions in the newer editions were more thought provoking.
Sarah Haney
May 26, 2015 Sarah Haney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly simple concepts that will change the way you use your words. This book offers everyday examples of destructive ways we use our words, after reading many of the examples, I found myself saying, "Wow! I do that. I had no idea how much of an impact I have on others." Read this book, think on it, and then read it again.
Sherry
Aug 20, 2014 Sherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is for someone who really wants to tame the tongue. It's very direct, honest, and biblical. It's a short read but very thought provoking. This will be the my go to book on speech.
Groups
Aug 04, 2010 Groups rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: needs-2nd-review
Per Janet Schroer:
This book addresses the impact of our words and how they affect others. There are practical illustrations about how our daily interactions reflect our beliefs and what's in our heart. It's a lighter study with short chapters giving a good overview of this topic. Scripture is referenced but there is not a lot of Bible study involved. A Discussion guide is included in the back of the book with group questions.

Additional Notes:
Best suited for newer Christians or a lighter group st
Kimberly
Apr 01, 2013 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
This is the best communication book I have ever read and probably will read. I was convicted as Mrs. Carole used Scripture to point to how we are to use of tongues. Since reading the book I have realized many instances where I have spoken wrongly and not used words to glorify God. Defiantly a "Must Read."
Jamie Humphreys
Jun 20, 2010 Jamie Humphreys rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very convicting book. I learned a lot. I will probably read it again soon for a good reminder. It was an easy quick read and very practical.
Diane Shetler
Apr 26, 2012 Diane Shetler rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Not sure 'liked' is the best term. Certainly filed with challenges.
Courtney (Life as a Convert)
Courtney (Life as a Convert) rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Ignatius
Ignatius rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Geneva Irenze
Geneva Irenze marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Laura R Bransky
Laura R Bransky rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Grace Haeun
Grace Haeun marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
KSRose
KSRose rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Rachel Setliffe
Rachel Setliffe rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Annika
Annika marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Stefany Hernandez
Stefany Hernandez marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Crystal Vick
Crystal Vick marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Valerie Caterinicchia
Valerie Caterinicchia marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Carolyn Heinz
Carolyn Heinz rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2015
Kate Gilkey
Kate Gilkey marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
D'Edra
D'Edra marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
jennifer german
jennifer german rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Jami
Jami marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015