Start by marking “End in Tears” as Want to Read:
End in Tears

End in Tears (Inspector Wexford #20)

3.55  ·  Rating Details ·  2,131 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
The award-winning author of Babes in the Woods and The Rottweiler brings us another gripping Inspector Wexford novel.

A lump of concrete dropped deliberately from a little stone bridge over a relatively unfrequented road kills the wrong person. The driver behind is spared. But only for a while...

One particular member of the local press is gunning for the Chief Inspector, di
Audio, 0 pages
Published July 18th 2006 by Random House Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about End in Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about End in Tears

Kavita
Jun 15, 2014 Kavita rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, uk
Sexist crap. Racist crap. Stereotypical clichés crap. A whole bunch of plot holes. Useless family background stories to bolster up the sexist agenda. There really are not a lot of good things I could say about this book.

A girl is killed and Inspector Wexford takes over the case. He and his team investigate the death of Amber and then another girl is killed as well. There is a connection between the two so the investigation proceeds gradually to an unbelievable and unrealistic end.

I found this bo
Bettie☯
Nigel Anthony 10 Hours 13 Mins

Description: At first there was no reason to link the killings. The first one, months earlier, seemed totally random: a lump of concrete pushed off an overpass onto a passing car. By contrast, the gruesome bludgeoning death of Amber Marshalson, returning home late from a night out clubbing with friends, was obviously calculated. The killer had been seen waiting for the girl in a nearby wood. But when Chief Inspector Wexford discovers that Amber had been the driver
4* Going Wrong
2* To Fear a Painted Devil
3* Dark Corners
3* Live Flesh

Inspector Wexford series:
3* Some Lie and Some Die (Inspector Wexford, #8)
3* Shake Hands Forever (Inspector Wexford, #9)
3* A Sleeping Life (Inspector Wexford, #10)
3* The Veiled One (Inspector Wexford, #14)
4* Kissing the Gunner's Daughter (Inspector Wexford, #15)
3* Harm Done (I
Bulent Yusuf
Mar 15, 2014 Bulent Yusuf rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: munich
Tedious, middle-class claptrap! A book peopled by insulting stereotypes in service of a meandering plot. My first Rendell, and most certainly the last.
Tony
Mar 02, 2012 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
END IN TEARS. (2005). Ruth Rendell. ****.
It’s a good thing that I usually write down the names of characters in books as I go through a book, along with a brief description of who they are as they appear in the plot. If I didn’t, I would be lost half-way through this novel by Ms. Rendell. It features her protagonist Wexford, the head of the police in Kingsmarkham, a small city in England. The story moves along nicely, but, frankly, there are just too many characters. Even with my crib sheet, I
Lois Bouchard
Mar 21, 2014 Lois Bouchard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book but found it a little confusing at times. There was a large number of characters. I sometimes had to go back and review who they were.
I liked the feeling I got for the small British towns and surrounding .woods. I thought her characterizations were excellent. I developed vivid images of the players in this drama.
LJ
END IN TEARS (Pol Proc-CI Wexford, England-Cont) – Okay
Rendell, Ruth - 21st in series
Crown Publishers, 2005, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780307339768

First sentence: When he lifted it off the seat the backpack felt heavier than when he had first put it into the car.

Chief Inspector Wexford and team are investigating the bludgeoning death of 17-year-old Amber Marshalson. The case takes on an extra dimension when they realize Amber was the actual intended victim when a piece of concrete had been dropped f
Bookmarks Magazine

Ruth Rendell's quality work is both a blessing and a curse. With over 20 Wexford novels__and an even greater number outside the series and under her pseudonym Barbara Vine__reviewers have had ample opportunity to relish her characterizations and get wise to her narrative proclivities. Here they identify a case of the strengths of Rendell's writing (characterization and the use of metaphor) playing second fiddle to the contrivances of a thriller. Plot twists abound for those into neck-snapping pl

Robyn
May 05, 2012 Robyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This gets 3 stars because I can't really rate anything by this author lower. However, I was somewhat disappointed in it. Other reviewers (on Amazon) have noted that it's like two books, splitting in the middle and losing the plot (pun intended) to an extent. I've read lots of Ruth Rendell and Barbara Vine books and think they are the usually among the best of both the police procedural and psychological crime genres. This one starts out promisingly and the first half is a pleasure to read, but t ...more
Lake Oz Fic Chick
With the publication of End in Tears, the incomparable Ruth Rendell has now written twenty-some books of psychological suspense featuring Chief Inspector Reginald Wexford. In this story, teenage mother Amber Marshalson is found dead after a night clubbing with her friends. Soon after, the body of one of her friends turns up. Why did both of the girls travel to Frankfurt some months back? Where did Amber get two thousand pounds? Were the two girls involved with drugs? Was it blackmail? And what a ...more
Nancy
Sep 01, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, listened-to
I started this book on audio CD and finished by reading it. I'm not sure if the first half is much better than the last half or if it is just more a satisfying book when consumed by listening to John Lee voice the characters. Hearing the accents of various characters made them more enjoyable.

The mystery unfolds over several months which is a nice change of pace for the usual fiction where the mystery is solved in about 3 days.

A number of interlocking stories about changing moral standards and in
Mary
Another wonderful entry in the Wexford series--I haven't read one of these mysteries in several years and this book was a very good reminder of Rendell's storytelling abilities. She writes about interesting characters, modern dilemmas, complex relationships and realistic moral ambiguities.
In truth I bought into the obligatory red herring earlier than Wexford himself does but it turned out that it was only part of the solution. There was a surprise in store for him as well as for me.
Joan
May 29, 2013 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous. One of the best of the Wexford series. The murder mystery itself is great, and the side stories about Sylvia and about Bal and Hannah are also great.

This is my second time through this one (this time as an audiobook, last time as a paperback). It's dawned on me that the subplots about Sylvia are better than those about Sheila. I've been reading about this family for more than 20 years, and yet I learn new things about them with each re-read.

Melinda Worfolk
Yes, more Wexford. My brain must be a bit taxed at the moment! Time for pleasant comfort reading. Rendell does get more grumpy and reactionary with each book, though she remains sly and entertaining.

(I'm reading this as an e-book with the font size cranked up, so every once in a while I glance at how many pages I've got left and am startled to see it says something like "475 of 860 pages." So I guess I'm about...halfway done then.)
Margie
Aug 27, 2010 Margie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, u-k
Ruth Rendell at her worst is better than most. This was middling for Rendell, which is to say, not a bad book. I found the ultra PC detective sargeant a bit annoying, and I didn't care for the way the multiple storylines all climaxed together, but overall enjoyed it.
Kate Stark
Tedious, meandering, improbable plot. With a side helping of an obsessively politically correct straw woman for no reason. She learns her lesson by getting kidnapped and rescued and then we get about ten pages of Wexford explaining the plot, in multiple locations, with coffee breaks. He makes some deep point about the nature of true evil, but everyone is asleep at this point and the book is finally over.
SWC
May 24, 2017 SWC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A concrete block is thrown from an overpass to the highway below. However, the block lands on the wrong silver car and the intended victim still lives. Not until later does Inspector Wexford make a connection between the murder and subsequent events.
Vicki Klemm
Really enjoy how she writes. Love how you get to hear what people are thinking About their co workers. Easy read.
Emma Honeyman
May 27, 2017 Emma Honeyman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bit slow to begin with but did enjoy might try some others
Judith
Aug 24, 2012 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The basic mystery here is the murder of two young women. Young Amber is murdered late at night, on her way home from a nightclub in London. Her friend Megan is murdered some days later.

Inspector Wexford is leading the hunt, with several on his team. We are treated to not only the investigation of the case itself but to incidents in the lives of Hannah and Bat as well as Wexford and his family.

The case becomes complex. There are many avenues to investigate, some of which come to have nothing to
Carol Masciola
I usually like Ruth Rendell but this book didn't seem up to her usual standard. The story of two young women who are murdered and turn out to be acquaintances. It's up to Inspector Wexford to find the connection between the murders and catch the perpetrator. Most of the book is Wexford and his team following up a red herring that has nothing to do with the murders. A lot of characters were introduced in a short space and it was hard to keep them straight and to care about them. Like a board of c ...more
Pupottina

Indagine a Kingsmarkham

Tra gli ultimi capolavori della scrittrice londinese, RUTH RENDELL, venuta a mancare nel 2015, c'è sicuramente UNA FINE IN LACRIME. È un poliziesco, ricco di suspense e di colpi di scena, che intreccia le vicende dei personaggi ad un importante tema d'attualità, quello della maternità surrogata. Cosa arriverebbe a fare una donna pur di avere un figlio? E cosa farebbe un padre se ne perdesse una?
In particolare è sul secondo interrogativo che si concentrano le vicende che ve
Linda
Jan 10, 2011 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Inspector Reg Wexford is something of a dinosaur, albeit a respected one, in the Kingsbridge Constabulary. As usually happens as people age, he is more and more discomposed by current societal attitudes and mores, while his younger colleagues take them for granted. It's a good thing that Reg has some skilled and trusted younger colleagues upon whom to rely, because, while he's a fine detective, he hasn't kept up with important technological advances. On the other hand, 30-ish DS Hannah Goldsmith ...more
Mary
Oct 17, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
At first there was no reason to link the killings. In fact, the first death could easily have been called an accident. When the car driven by Mavis Ambrose is struck by a falling chunk of concrete and she is killed, the police have absolutely no reason to suspect foul play in her death. However, the bludgeoning of gorgeous eighteen-year-old Amber Marshalson that follows several months later is clearly murder.

In the midst of the hottest summer on record, Inspector Wexford is called in to investig
Pamela
Mar 22, 2016 Pamela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rendell was an unbelievably prolific and celebrated crime novelist. I first picked up an Inspector Wexford mystery about twenty five years (maybe more) ago. I got through a couple of chapters before tossing it. A short while later I opened Barbara Vine’s, Asta’s Book, and was instantly hooked. What a difference between the two authors. One writes shallow and simplistic crime fiction, the other creates richly layered novels. And yet the two authors are one and the same person. How brilliant of Re ...more
Carol
Sep 13, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not her best work but still entertaining. Teenage mother Amber Marshalson is found dead in the woods by her distraught father. Her infant son left to the care of grandparents who don't want him. The only witness, a dog walker says she saw a figure in a hood but little else. Later a friend of Amber's, Megan is murdered as well. Chef Inspector Wexford investigates these murders while going home to his daughter Sylvia who is giving up her baby to another woman. Wexford is not happy about this but w ...more
John
Nov 17, 2009 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I've long been a great fan of Ruth Rendell's (and Barbara Vine's!) standalone psychological thrillers, but somehow I've never taken as much to her Inspector Wexford mysteries . . . even though I was devoted to their tv adaptations, many years ago, starring the excellent George Baker. The early books in the series didn't quite hook me the way various of their rivals did; the later ones seem to me undecided as to whether to be psychological thrillers or detective novels, and end up dithering somew
Bookmark
May 02, 2016 Bookmark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An eighteen-year old girl, a young mother of Brand, is murdered. At first it seems like a random killing. She had no enemies. Nothing was stolen. Nobody would benefit from her death. Soon however Wexford makes a connection between her death and the death of two motorists killed by a concrete brick tossed from a bridge onto their car a couple of months earlier. The brick was intended for the girl. It isn't a random killing. It's murder.
To find the killer Wexford investigates a whole community: th
Feb 02, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Ruth Rendell wrote really good police procedurals with her Inspector Wexford series. End in Tears is no exception. The plot is complicated and kept my interest. Amber, a young single mother is murdered with a blunt object after a night of clubbing with friends. Then a few weeks later, another young woman who had been out with Amber disappears and is also found dead. What is the connection? Amber was bright and bound for college. Megan was uneducated and living with a much older man. What brought ...more
Liz
Aug 07, 2013 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rendell-wexford
In this, the 20th of Ruth Rendell’s Inspector Wexford mysteries, everyone seems to be tied up with surrogate parenthood in one way or another. Two girls, seemingly just casual acquaintances, are found murdered, and the only link between the two appears to be that both have had babies while still in their teens. Amber’s child lives with her and is cared for by her stepmother while Amber is at school, and Megan gave her child for adoption. The investigation into their deaths reveals all sorts of s ...more
  • Gallowglass
  • Good Morning, Midnight (Dalziel & Pascoe, #21)
  • A Deadly Cambodian Crime Spree (Inspector Singh Investigates #4)
  • Blood in the Water (Alice Rice, #1)
  • A Whiff of Death
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
A.K.A. Barbara Vine

Ruth Barbara Rendell, Baroness Rendell of Babergh, CBE, who also wrote under the pseudonym Barbara Vine, was an acclaimed English crime writer, known for her many psychological thrillers and murder mysteries and above all for Inspector Wexford.
More about Ruth Rendell...

Inspector Wexford (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1)
  • A New Lease of Death (Inspector Wexford, #2)
  • Wolf to the Slaughter (Inspector Wexford, #3)
  • The Best Man to Die (Inspector Wexford, #4)
  • A Guilty Thing Surprised (Inspector Wexford, #5)
  • No More Dying Then (Inspector Wexford, #6)
  • Murder Being Once Done (Inspector Wexford, #7)
  • Some Lie and Some Die (Inspector Wexford, #8)
  • Shake Hands Forever (Inspector Wexford, #9)
  • A Sleeping Life (Inspector Wexford, #10)