Start by marking “In Bed With the Devil” as Want to Read:
In Bed With the Devil

In Bed With the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  5,843 ratings  ·  284 reviews
They call him the Devil Earl—a scoundrel and accused murderer who grew up on the violent London streets. A proper young lady risks more than her reputation when consorting with the roguishly handsome Lucian Langdon, but Lady Catherine Mabry believes she has no choice. To protect those she loves, she would do anything—even strike a bargain with the devil himself.

Lucian desi
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about In Bed With the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Bed With the Devil

Beanbag Love
*sigh*

I was considering ending the review there, but I can't. I have to jabber a bit. What a great reading experience this book was. Very moving, but also amusing. Held my interest the entire time.

*sigh*

It's the story of Luke, the Earl of Claybourne, and Catherine, daughter of the Duke of Greystone. Luke was a poor kid on the streets from the age of around six until about twelve when he killed the heir to the Earl of Claybourne. When the old earl, the victim's father, met with Luke in prison, h
Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Aug08

Yes, I’m still on the historical spree. One or two more and I’ll swap genres for a bit to keep my brain fresh! Lorraine Heath turns up the heat in her latest Victorian era romance, “In Bed with the Devil”. At first I wondered if this would be a combination historical, paranormal story because of the title; however, the devil in said title refers to the Devil Earl, an Earl guilty of murder yet not charged with his crime. How delicious! Devout hist
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
4 Scandalising Stars

BR with Aly, who was pestering me about beginning this and now is probably not even halfway through!

This is my disapproving face Missy(I love this word)!

I liked the book. Katherine was fearless and Luke very intriguing. I'm too bored to write a full review though. I can't wait to read more about these scoundrels!

My only complaint is that the sex scenes are way too heavy on the "lovey, dovey" stuff and way too light on the "hot".
Brittany B.
Aug 24, 2012 Brittany B. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lisa Kleypas, Eloisa James and Julia Quinn fans.
Recommended to Brittany B. by: Alkyoni
I once put this book aside, thinking it was boring. Then I teased my dear friend for recommending it....
But I was so wrong that I can't imagine what I should do to make it up to her!!!

This is my second Lorraine Heath book, the first one was The Outlaw and the Lady and I wasn't impressed. But this book is FANTASTIC!! The story had me engrossed, and the romance could not be better.
This book gave me butterflies in my stomach and made my heart pitter-patter on quiet a few occasions. I was left with
Irina
***4.5 stars***

I must admit I went into it without much enthusiasm. Having not read any Regency romance for a while now, I've had quite low expectations of this, and during the first two chapters almost put it aside. But then suddenly it picked my interest and had me turning pages in delicious anticipation.

I forgot how brilliant this author is. Her Texas Destiny is one of my all-time favourite historical romances. The writing is crisp and sophisticated, effortless and graceful. It is an absolut
Jane Stewart
Good quality historical romance. I enjoyed this.

It was a comfortable read. I smiled at times. There’s a nice long build up of the couple gradually falling in love. The conflict that kept them apart appealed to me. Lucian grew up on the streets with a gang of kids who were his family. Frannie was part of the group. Lucian and others love her like a sister. Lucian wants to get married and he believes Frannie is the one for him, but he doesn’t realize it’s sisterly love. He’s kind of stupid about h
Chandra
Story Rating 3.5 Stars
Character Rating 3.5 Stars
Romance Rating 3 Stars
Heat Level 2 Stars
Overall Rating 3 Stars

I went back and forth on the rating of this book, and ended with a solid 3-stars, because I just didn't love it. It was good, but not great. I just felt there was something missing from the story and from the characters..

In fact, I felt most of the story was about this...
description

What I didn't like...
How much Luke loved Fannie, Frannie..whatever her name was. He looooved this chick right? Wanted
BookMaven
Aug 16, 2008 BookMaven rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any woman, some men would probably like it, too.
Recommended to BookMaven by: Bookstore Browse
Excellent!!!!!!! Original!!! I loved this book. It had the most beautiful death scene that I have ever read. It was so full of love,every kind of love, selfish love, unconditional love, brotherly and sisterly love. The mystery was great on so many levels. I could hardly put it down. I stayed up way too late reading this book, but it was so worth it. It had wonderful supporting characters. The plot was very complex, but understandable. The hero and heroine were so believable. I was so glad to hea ...more
D.G.
Apr 25, 2013 D.G. marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I started this in audio but the prologue sounded so ridiculous that I almost burst a lung laughing. I mean really! Who can take a beginning like this seriously?

I often study the portrait of my father hanging above the massive fireplace in the grand library of my London residence and catalogue the similarities of our appearance.

The hair - black as the soot that lined the inside of a chimney.

The eyes - the shade of pewter that brought a fair price from fences.

The nose - a slender, knife-like shap
Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict
May 21, 2013 Dorsey aka Wrath Lover & KA Addict rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
Shelves: audio_books
First off I have to say other than Highlander novels I'm not a huge fan of Historical Romances however; I loved this book!

This was my first read by Lorraine Heath and it kept me completely interested from beginning to end. The storyline, dialogue, and characters were fantastic, Looking forward to the rest of the series.

• Susan Erickson was the narriator and she was fabulous!
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read: April 2013
I am so glad I gave this book a try, it was heartbreaking and amazing and lovely.

2nd read: August 2014
Buddy read with Jo, hopefully :D She finished before me... the horror! :O :P
Eastofoz
Nov 01, 2008 Eastofoz rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance readers interested in a retelling of Dickens' "Oliver Twist"
3.5 stars more so than just 3. The story is a reworking of Dickens' "Oliver Twist" with the hero as Oliver and his friends like Oliver's gang.

The hero and the heroine are well-drawn charcters but I didn't like the story all that much overall. Things start out well, very mysterious with the Devil Earl but maybe it needed better editing to make it a really good story because the elements are there but when it comes together it gets a bit long and heavy and you start to get the feeling that you'd
Tishke
The first in the series.

The series is inspired by Oliver Twist book and its cast of characters finding their individual ways and becoming respectable, at least some of them, as adults.

The Fifth Earl of Claybourne known as the “Devil Earl”, lord Lucian Oliver Langdon is Lorraine Heath's tribute to Oliver Twist and the story centers around his struggles to take his rightful place especially since he doesn't believe he is the bona fide heir to the title but due to circumstances he is unwilling to
Slavena
Luke, the Earl of Claybourne goes through life thinking that he is not the rightful heir to the title but unable to relinquish it. Raised on the streets of London with a band of little thieves he is more connected to his childhood past then with the piers of the realm. He has set his eyes on his childhood sweetheart and wants to make her his wife, but she refuses him on the grounds that she doesn’t desire the type of life he is living.

Lady Catherine Mabry believes Luke to be the devil himself an
LibraryLass
I don't know if it's because I am just getting myself back into reading some historical romances or not, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Yes, it was a reworked premise, but it was greatly done. I liked both Luke and Catherine (which is often not the case). I enjoyed their dialogue and their chemistry was pretty good too.

There were a few moments which I didn't enjoy as much in the book but they in no way detracted from my enjoyment of the story. In fact I would be hard pressed to say just wha
Zumbagirl
Unfortunately, I did not like this one at all and it's amazing I finished it. I didn't connect with the characters and it had one of the worst things, in my opinion - an indecisive hero, in "love" with his childhood friend and in "love" with the heroine. While I tried to understand his predicament, it was irksome and it went on until the very last page. He realized who he wanted way too late and it just felt annoying. I thought the heroine, Catherine, really sold herself short getting involved w ...more
Sophie ♥
May 10, 2013 Sophie ♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical romance fans
Lorraine Heath was one of the first historical romance authors I've read and it was partly because I loved her books that I became drawn to the genre. It's hard to say, but I think I'll always love historical romance just a little bit more than contemporary romance. I'm not particularly a fan of history, but the way authors weave romance into earlier time eras has always enchanted me.

For this reason I'm probably a little less harsh when rating them. Even though this book was far from perfect, I
Lady Wesley
Imagine Feagan's tribe from Oliver Twist growing up and becoming respectable adults. This is Lorraine Heath's clever premise, and it works quite well in this book, featuring "Oliver" (here known as Lucien Langdon, the Earl of Claybourne). He's an anguished hero who falls in love with a most proper daughter of a duke. There's love, sex, a little adventure, and a bit of a mystery.

The narration of the audiobook by Susan Ericksen was very good. She handled all of the characters quite well. Antony F
Jenny E
This was another amazing read from Lorraine Heath! I had read her western historical novels, but for some reason I hadn't read any of her others, and I am kicking myself. These are amazing!

I have to admit that at first I wasn't sure about this book. The hero, Luke, was actually in "love" with another woman, his childhood friend, Frannie, and Catherine, the heroine, was to give her lessons on etiquette so that she could become a proper duke's wife (Frannie was an orphan and wasn't familiar with
Tiko Telia
5 +++++++++++++++++++++ stars and even this shalnt be enough ...
i hope that it says all that needs to be said about this book...
adored it..
Lover of Romance
Catherine Mabry is desperate, after finding out that her closest friend is being abused, she is at her wits end. Her friend has no choice but to bear the abuse and put a smile on her face, but Catherine has different ideas about getting rid of this tormentor. She goes to the "Devil Earl" Lucian Langdon who is rumored to have killed, so she knows that he is the perfect person on the job. However when she sneaks into his residence but after sharing a sensual embrace, things start to heat up betwee ...more
RomReader
Daughter of ailing earl has been inviting infamous "Devil" duke to her balls since she 1st saw him years ago but to no avail. Hero avoids the social whirl b/c he thinks he's probably not really a duke b/c he can't remember his own parents. Heroine approaches Hero in person with a proposition--to have him kill someone without disclosing her reasons. Hero agrees to do it in exchange for heroine teaching his childhood friend & future fiance how to be a lady. Their attraction to each other burge ...more
Maqluba
The hero was the reason I loved this book but its also the reason I dropped it from five to four stars.
The heroine was prim and proper one second then she's running off in the middle of the night to a gambling hall the next. She's a truly strong heroine who stepped a little into martyr-ville near the end but I forgive her cuz it's the hero's fault. She's tough and compassionate and I enjoyed reading about her.

Now the hero is another story.

Our hero here is as damaged from his past as well as hi
Linds
What would happen if Oliver Twist was a grown man? How could an orphan who was raised amongst cutthroats and thieves possibly fit into the ton?

This is is Lorraine Heath's premise, her homage to the characters of Oliver Twist. I loved it. I've read some downers and duds lately and this was such a breath of fresh air, a romance that sweeps me away.

Luke (Oliver) is an orphan who was raised is a gang of pickpockets. When Luke is a child, his friend and love Frannie is assaulted by a gentleman. He ki
Edna Lyn
The “Devil Earl”, Lucius Langdon, is a self-proclaimed scoundrel who grew up on the streets of London thieving with other children to make a living. He's guilty of murder at an early age but is saved by an old aristocratic man who believes Luke is his long lost grandson. Luke, jumping at the chance, plays the part but finds himself on the opposite side of the social spectrum, never fully comfortable in that skin. One night Lady Catherine visits his residence thinking him a dark soul capable to c ...more
Natalie
Lucian Claybourne is known as the Devil Earl, a former child of the streets who was nearly hung for killing a man before the Earl of Claybourne recognized Lucian as his lost grandson and Lucian went along with it. Lady Catherine Mabry has been intrigued by Lucian since she first saw him and when she finds herself in need of a man willing to kill, she goes to his doorstep. This was an emotional and fast-paced read, with several clever, if a little obvious, references to Oliver Twist. It
LiteraryLover
Once again I have picked up a book and started reading it... only to realize a few chapters into it that I've already read it once before. I've read A LOT of books and can't always remember their titles. Thankfully though, I remember liking this book the first time I read it and enjoyed it still the second time too. I didn't find it as impressive as some of my GR friends found it, but I did enjoy it and look forward to reading more by the author.
zHaNe
Oct 09, 2011 zHaNe rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who loved Derek Craven
I just associated it with our beloved Derek Craven because of the gambling house that Jack Dodger owns. And because our heroes are dark, wicked, and spelled D-A-N-G-E-R. And may I add: sinfully delicious.

I shifted into this series because the other series that I've been reading is dragging me slow. I finished this book in 2 days (not bad).

Lucian Langdon, the Devil Earl, has a dark past.

He grew up in London streets with a band of street urchins known as 'Feagan's lads'.
His life changed when he k
Billie Jo
(Audio book) As to the story itself... I am a huge fan of historical romance and read them often. I found the story to be unique and enjoyable but I thought it included way too much narration and not enough from the characters themselves. I prefer the characters themselves to tell the story rather than through narration. I loved the plot/story line but only liked the writing style. (3.5 stars)

I was not impressed by Susan Ericksen narration - but have absolutely loved her other narrations. Quite
Mojca
Jan 09, 2009 Mojca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like page-turning historical romance
Lucian Langdon, the Earl of Claybourne, is not what one would expect from a peer. For one, he's not even sure he is one. Having grown up on the harsh streets of London, Luke knows how to lie to survive. It was one of those lies than earned him the title and it is his dark past, tainted with murder, that has earned him the nickname "Devil Earl". He is openly shunned by society, no one would dare be seen conversing with him in public, everyone in high society fears him.

Enter Lady Cathrine Mabry. F
Your favorite Qoutes/sayings from book? 3 37 May 20, 2014 12:03PM
Pure Sizzle! 9 62 May 18, 2014 12:22PM
  • A Perfect Groom (Sterling trilogy, #2)
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • Surrender A Dream
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • A Necessary Husband
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Rough Wrangler, Tender Kisses
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • The Duke of Shadows
  • The Perfect Waltz (The Merridew Sisters, #2)
  • Lord of Fire (Knight Miscellany, #2)
  • Not Quite a Husband
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor® durin
More about Lorraine Heath...
Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers, #3) Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2) Passions of a Wicked Earl (London's Greatest Lovers, #1) Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1) She Tempts the Duke (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #1)

“You don't care what people think," he said.
She couldn't tell from the way he emphasized the words if he was asking a question or making an observation. Still, she felt obliged to answer.
"Of course I care. To a certain extent we all care, but we can't care to the point that we live in fear of others' opinion, that we allow them to change who we are. We must be willing to stand up and defend what represents the very core of our being. Otherwise what is the purpose of individuality? We'd be nothing but imitations of each other, and I daresay we'd all be rather boring.”
24 likes
“Have you ever wanted something so badly that you would do anything, believe anything in order to acquire it?” 9 likes