Start by marking “Dark Truth” as Want to Read:
Dark Truth

Dark Truth (Truth #3)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  1,245 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
WILL THE TRUTH SET HER FREE–OR SET A TRAP?

Murder didn’t end Nina Madden’s life–it destroyed it. When her father was charged with the serial killings of several college students, Nina and her mother became pariahs in their small Maryland town. Though Nina never believed the hideous accusations, evidence led to her father’s conviction and guaranteed the death penalty. After

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2006 by Blackstone Audio, Inc. (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Truth

K.
I added a half a star just for this small paragraph:
(view spoiler)
Cindy
Oct 10, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-challenge
Dark Truth by Mariah Stewart Like this series and like the authors' ease in spinning a good plot with a interesting cast. Performed by Anna Fields - which alone makes it worth the read. Text 2005/audio 2006. Recommended.
Theresa
Jan 01, 2016 Theresa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. This was the worst in the series by far; it was literally a chore to drag myself through the end. All the stuff about Eddie Kroll is just completely irrelevant and stupid and detracts from what's supposed to be the main story. Nina was also incredibly stupid and annoying, and as other reviewers have mentioned the killer was quite obvious and the resolution a mess. By the time I got to the end I was just finishing it to finish it and was completely unconcerned and uninvolved in what was happ ...more
Maura
Merredith
Feb 13, 2011 Merredith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cold case people
Shelves: crime-mysteries
This is the third book in the truth series. We once again have the crime writer woman, and she is working on the backstory, of the report cards she found in her dad's basement after his death, that belonged to the kid who killed another kid then disappeared after he got out of juvie. i feel like the answer to this mystery is becoming super obvious as it goes on, but since the daughter or her fbi boyfriend aren't coming to the same conclusion as me, maybe i'm wrong. i guess i might find out in th ...more
Dotti Elrick
Jun 11, 2013 Dotti Elrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this third book in the "Truth" series. It wasn't my favorite, but it kept my interest as I read.
Nina Madden is returning to her once hometown of Stone River Maryland for the funeral of her step mother Olivia. Nina left Stone River 16 years earlier when her father, a respected professor at the local college was arrested for the rape and murder of four college students. Four women he was secretly having affairs with.
After her father's conviction, she has had no contact with her imprisoned
Kathleen Hagen
Dark Truth, by Mariah Stewart B-plus
This is the third in the “truth” series involving Regan Landry as the true crime writer who is present in all four books.
In this one, Nina Madden, Regan’s book editor, has a secret. Her father was arrested tried and convicted 16 years earlier as a rapist and serial killer of four women in and around the small town where he lived, Stone River. He swore he was innocent and died before his execution on death row was to take place. Now, Nina’s step-mother has just
Jenny Delandro
Mar 08, 2011 Jenny Delandro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This had cops investigating murders and writers investigating possible story lines for a new book.
It had editors getting more involved with their authors then ever before and tantellising hints at other story which threads its way through the storyline.

Nina is the editor
Regean is the writer
Was is the cop

I like their story -
(view spoiler)
Louise
Excellent book!!

From back cover:

"Murder didn't end Nina Madden's life - it destroyed it. When her father was charged with the serial killings of several college students, Nina and her stepmother became pariahs in their small Maryland town. Though Nina never believed the hideous accusations, evidence led to her father's conviction and guaranteed the death penalty. When her father died in prison, his case still on appeal, Nina left Stone River and never looked back...but she couldn't shake the lin
Joyce McKune
Reagan's friend (and editor), Nina asks for a favor. Help her find out if her father was really a serial killer - 16 years ago. Reagan is as good as her father was on cold cases and with the help of her boyfriend (FBI) and the local cop who was there when Nina's father was arrested for the killings, they set out to prove who did it because it was the only way to proved he didn't do it.
Tim Gillen
Overall, good book, good plot. I like that Stewart keeps the ending from being easily predictable. The storyline seemed to be moving along for quite a while, and then wrapped up suddenly at the end.

I listened to the audiobook version read by Anna Fields. The reading was done well.
Mary
Mar 18, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally riveting read, brilliant storyline, awesome characters, a plot that hooks from start to finish.
This author once again writes a masterpiece.
Kylie
Jan 28, 2014 Kylie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a great cast of creepy potential killers in this one- everyone had something to hide. I enjoyed the angle Stewart came at the case too- from a writer's perspective rather than starring a law enforcement officer.
Brenda
Sep 23, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed all three books and now on to the last. Love series books, as I never want the story to end.
April
Jul 26, 2015 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Mariah Stewart's books and this one was no exception. Glad the ending turned out well.
Kristin
Apr 06, 2014 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the strong characters in this book and Mitch and Reagan are in this book a lot. Loved it!
Marianne
Finished listening to this last night. Stewart's books are based on my favorite premise (solving old mysteries)and I find that interesting. Her characters are likable, and while the crimes are dark, the characters aren't. I found the ending of this book implausible, however, unlike the first I read of hers, Hard Truth. These aren't police procedurals, and some of the rules broken to move the story along drive me nutty, but they are good, solid stories about likable people. And given the sturm un ...more
Karen Syed
This third book in the series isn't my favorite, but it was a pretty good read/listen.

Mariah Stewart always does a good job of sucking you in to the story and making you want to stick around until everything is resolved. Being a fan of series books, I love that we get new characters with news stories, but get to visit with old friends. Stewart is excellent at maintaining the ongoing story lines and I really enjoy that aspect of her writing.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a new
Karen
Fourth book
Nell
Aug 04, 2013 Nell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book. So much happens in this book that it's just crazy for a while. I was so excited throughout the book. You learn a great deal about the characters. I am a huge Mariah Stewart fan, but if you ahve not read the seried, you have to. All of the books are good, but this was my favorite one. It is more of a suspence novel than a mystery, but it lives up to its name. There are so many truths revealed that you wonder how the female character deals with it all. Great, Great, bo ...more
Denise
Jan 31, 2009 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love mystery/suspense, thriller/horror books. And this one really hit the spot after not reading one for awhile.
This is the first book by Mariah Stewart I have read. I thought it was excellent. I was engrossed in this book. While it was a quick read for me, I was still into it and felt like I was her lead character, Nina. It had some romance, but not until towards the end.I did not realize it until I finished, but this is number 3 in a series of 4 or 5. I am very excited now to read the other
Gail
Aug 01, 2015 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book
Jim
May 29, 2010 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As did Cold Truth and Hard Truth, this story moves at a good pace. Although this one had no peaks and valley (just hit a plane and stayed there), it was entertaining. At the end, all is revealed without epiphany or last minute clues--again, no peaks or valleys. But still good.

In the previous book a person's name was introduced. We find a little more about that person in this entry. Presumably all will be revealed in the next/last of the series, Final Truth.
Denise MacDonald
I didn't enjoy this book, there was a lot of fluff in it. There was to much useless information- descriptions of food, making tea, repeated information etc. and not enough of the actual story. I thought that as I went along in this series the books would be better as a whole, but they aren't. And I figured out the ongoing mystery two books ago, and its annoying me that these characters who are supposed to be so smart haven't done so yet.
Kathy
May 05, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was refreshing to pick up a book that had a fun and entertaining story line and still avoided all the off color language for the most part and bed room scenes. If you like mystery you will like this book. It was not a deep book and I even guessed who the murderer was, but it is a good read for a rainy afternoon when you want to be entertained and not think too hard.
E
Jan 02, 2009 E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd already read this book and Final Truth, and they are in my list of read books. They now say Truth Thriller Series and unabridged and when I read them they didn't say that. In Erin's list of books read, I put my rating of them, and now they're listed again in my books. Looks like I read them twice. They are a good series.
Sheila
Sep 01, 2008 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Purchased this new author for a quarter, pretty good read. The killer was predictable and the plot was very well paced. I liked the character development and looked for more of her books at the library sale. Alas, someone had purchased a lot of mysteries before I got there, good for the library, bad for me.
Ashley
Jul 28, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The storyline of this book was believable yet undeniably creepy. It turned out be more complex than I or any of the characters thought! I like the underlying story of Regan's curiosity about Eddie Kroll as well. I can't wait to get through the last book!
Gabrielle
Nina's father was arrested for murder and rape. Nina lost her mother the same yea. She inherits the house. She finds a letter that proves her father's innocence. She later finds out that Kyle did it and he then try's to kill her because she found out.
  • Playing Dead (Prison Break Trilogy, #3)
  • Last to Die (Sheridan, #2)
  • Dead Giveaway (Stillwater, #2)
  • Body Parts (Tally Whyte, #1)
  • Every Move She Makes
  • Twisted
  • Black at Heart (Black CATs, #3)
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • One Last Breath (The Borderline #1)
  • The Perfect Family
  • Nine
  • Deep Disclosure (A-Tac, #4)
Mariah Stewart is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twenty-six novels and three novellas and has been featured in the Wall Street Journal. She is a RITA finalist in romantic suspense and the recipient of the Award of Excellence for contemporary romance, a RIO Award for excellence in women's fiction, and a Reviewers Choice Award from Romantic Times Magazine. A three-time winner ...more
More about Mariah Stewart...

Truth (4 books)
  • Cold Truth (Truth #1; John Mancini #7)
  • Hard Truth (Truth #2; John Mancini #8)
  • Final Truth (Truth #4; John Mancini #10)