Bridge To Happiness

Bridge To Happiness

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  337 ratings  ·  47 reviews
From the luxury of San Francisco's famous hills to the wild freedom of the majestic snow-covered Sierra Mountains, BRIDGE TO HAPPINESS is the intensely dramatic story of one woman's life, the idyllic moments, her humanity, her love, and finally, the difficult road she must walk alone...to discover the strong woman she is destined to become.
When March Randolph meets Mike C...more
Published January 4th 2011 by BelleBooks, Inc. (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bridge To Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridge To Happiness

Joemmama
Jill Barnett has written a wonderful, heartwarming story of love, marriage, loss, and renewal, in "Bridge to Happiness". March an Mike were the perfect couple, living, loving and working together for decades, raising children and looking forward to their future. The couple, instrumental in developing snow boarding, gained success, money, friends, and everything that is the dream. Their sons are competing to be the best, and their daughter is adrift. As she struggles to help her children, March i...more
E.B. Loan

This review was copied from my book review blog at:
Elsie Loves Fiction

1. Bridge to Happiness, Jill Barnett

Ms. Barnett is a well seasoned author. With 13 novels & seven short stories in print, I was surprised to find her book, Bridge to Happiness, as a kindle freebie. But, on my search for something new, there it was. I downloaded and dove in.
Before I post my opinion of the story, I want to take a minute and talk about the quality of the piece. As a writer I am acutely aware that mistakes s...more
Joan
Somehow I got on a website that tells me what Kindle books are free. This was one and it was worth about what I paid for it. I dont like reading on Kindle. I like the feel of the book and turning pages and knowing how long a book is. That said, I didn't expect much from this except mind candy, and it was amost that. I know many people like this author, and she sells lots of books. For me, she overwrites. She describes every piece of furniture in such minute detail that I forget why she went to t...more
Stephanie
This was a decent "chick lit" book. Basically, the author's husband is killed and the book explores the effects on the various relationships in the family. However, it never made me cry, so it lacked an emotional punch. Also, I got annoyed by the vast wealth of the main character (not having to work for months and months after the accident, taking ski trips to Tahoe, endless descriptions of their vast houses (yes, that's plural), writing a check out for $100K "just to be fair", etc.) - not that...more
Sally
Feb 17, 2011 Sally rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jessica Shook
I'm a little torn about this book. I absolutely LOVED the story and the author's voice...most of the time. The book was broken up into 3 parts. However, the first two parts were more like an amazingly drawn out set up, with choppy paragraphs that seemed misplaced and sometimes just plain unneeded. Thankfully, they led up to a beautifuly poetic third part, which made all the typos (and my gosh there were A LOT!) and such completely worth it.

I've never heard of Barnett before - this was a free bo...more
Jill Barnett's "Dreaming" was the first "romance novel" I read, so I have a soft spot for her writing. I greatly enjoyed her "Bridge to Happiness," particularly these quotations that spoke to me:

"For his sanity, part of me wanted to run away as fast as I could, because I didn't know if what was left of me was enough for someone to love. But I didn't move. I couldn't run when I looked at him and he was looking at me like he was. There was a glimmer of joy in me. I hadn't felt anything close to jo...more
Sheila
Author Jill Barnett is a master of the oddly disconcerting image—a bay whose crystalline water is “mythical, like a panoramic image from a Peter Jackson film,” twinkling stars above the Sierras that “flickered like distant, approaching headlights,” a fifty-year-old man who’s “the human equivalent of a tomcat,” and an awful lot of handbags. (Okay, I’m not into handbag therapy, but that’s just me.)

Mike and March build a perfect life, based on shared humor and love, in the first part of this novel....more
Diana Leneker
I've never been on a snowboard, nor have I ever learned to ski, but Jill Barnett, author of Bridge to Happiness, had me believing that I could get on the snow and understand what it was all about. But this book isn't about the snow, but rather the dynamics of family life. Mike loves March, and March loves Mike. They marry and start a family. But March knows Mike will never truly be happy working for his dad and encourages him to quit his day job, and start his own business. Mike does, and it bec...more
J. Ewbank
This novel by Jill Barnett was a powerful one. When I started was not sure wht the novel would be like but kept on reading. The family is like any other family and then a tragedy struck and the father, husband etc.. was gone. The novel goes through the live of the wife, the children and even some of the grandchildren, the interplay between them before and after the tragedy and how they began to put things back together.

There are many of us who have lost our spouses and have found happiness again...more
Janice
Interesting read. I was thinking as I read that this would be a good "Book Group read"--that was until I got 2/3 of the way through the book. It went downhill rather rapidly at that point. So, I will not be suggesting it for group. The story is about how a woman's (March's) life changes when her husband is suddenly killed in a car accident on a one-way street in San Francisco (which was the draw for me--all of the places mentioned brought back many memories and I could picture them as I read). I...more
Jenn
What better way to kill some time by getting to indulge in some chick lit. Easy to put down, easy to pick up.

This story had the typical heart wrenching and joyous moments. It took a bit for me to get started but once past the first couple of chapters I easily settled into the story.

The typical over the top love story between two people. In Bridge to Happiness it was Mike and March. Young couple falls in love, marriage,children, success, tragedy, and healing. This story had it all.

There were pa...more
Mum
I am struggling with what I thought of the book. It felt like a lecture on widowhood. For a book of this nature I expected more depth or insight. I have always enjoyed Jill Barnett's romances, as they have humor. This novel was essentially humorless, and written through the POV of a dazed widow. By the end, I felt a huge piece of the real story had been omitted by some editor, because there was no flow. I can not recommend it to people who like her romances. Maybe, if this novel is only thing of...more
Michele
Decent read....bad title.
Dana Crudo
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I always enjoy a solid story about finding a new life after a loss. I think it showcased the struggles of loss so beautifully but also the excitement of what happens after. I felt invested in the stories of the characters.

With that said, it got only 3 stars because of the plethora of grammatical errors in the e-book version. The significant errors made it unreadable at times. The story deserves better. With so many errors, I could not take the book or author as se...more
Becky
This book had me at the plot line. Interestingly enough, about a wife/mother/grandmother who loses her husband and what her year is like after wards. After starting the book, I must say I plowed through it, just to see if it would get any better. For me, it lagged in the emotional heart-strings that I was looking for. (I'm a sucker for crying in books and this one just didn't have it.) I am also not sure why romance turns me off so, but it does. I have to skip over parts that make my eyes bleed....more
Michelle
I picked up this book from Amazon on sale (dirt cheap) and it was an incredible buy. This is such a well written book with a clear, descriptive voice that conveys heart-wrenching grief, uncertainty and finally hope.

The world as seen through March Cantrell's eyes goes from being normal - real-life normal with a family that anyone could recognize - to shattered in an instant. How March copes with the pieces of her life and the journey back to balance is a strong and interesting story.
Alison Beach
This is a lovely family/romance read. Family, meaning that the book focuses on the struggles of a family. Romance meaning that there's some in there. The matriarch of a family deals with life, love and loss. I found it to be well-written and engaging, and many of the "surprise" moments, I did not see coming. An enjoyable vacation read, a good read for the commute to work, something heavier than fluff, but lighter than a novel, and more well-written than Danielle Steel.

Kathy
Rachel
Hmm. Not my usual read - so a review is hard. But. I liked the story. It was believable and relatable in so many ways. But. The first half lacked lots of details. Lots. Descriptions of the characters. The ages of the children when certain poignant remarks were made... Things I felt were important to the story. Other than that, good read. Second half much better than the first.
Toni
I have been told by several women who would know that this book describes the first year of widowhood better and far more realistically than any other novel to date.those descriptions and her relationships with her grown children were beautiful to read.The emotions just grabbing your heart strings ,but I did have some issues with other parts of the story thus the 3 or 3.5
Karen
Cathy Ingles
New author for me. Very honest, heartfelt story of a family, from the viewpoint of its matriarch, March. I was surprised to find myself laughing and crying in this book, sometimes when you would least expect it. some of the humor is black, some sweet, but all of it felt real. Lovely story, beautifully worded in some places. Want to read more.
Lizz
I liked this one, but I wanted to like it more. Since we were recently in San Fransisco, it was fun to "see" the places through the author's eyes. I really enjoyed the first part of the book, but after the Life Changing Event (trying not to put in a spoiler here) I had trouble staying engaged..... although I couldn't tell you why.
Alice Brown
I loved this book. I almost put it down after I started to see the layout of the plot. I'm glad I didn't. This book was a lot different then the books I have read before from this author. I loved the good but imperfect family, and it was a good journey through their struggles and triumphs.
Diane
Absorbing family saga. Very well written with characters you would want to know. I loved.the.beginning and the.last part of the book. I found that.the middle dragged on too long with description of March's depression following.the.accident. overall a beet good read.
Gail
This is a light read. It's a love story that's plot carries through a marriage, family, death in the family and the emotions that the family endures getting past the death and on with their lives. Set in San Francisco and Heavenly Valley.
Janga
I'm so happy to add another Jill Barnett book to my list of books I have read. This was a rich, emotional read about love and loss and new life. I have more to say about the book at my blog, Just Janga.
Cindy
This story is inspiring. It shows that we are capable of overcoming and triumphing over tradgey. Friends and family are so important to us through both the good times and the bad.
Ruth
I enjoyed this story of first love, marital love, family love and new love. For my full review see http://rannthisthat.blogspot.com/2011...
Diane
The Perks Of Bein...: coming back to a book 8 67 Feb 25, 2013 07:58AM
  • Sunrise
  • Life From Scratch
  • Sweetie
  • Only You (Angel Ridge, #1)
  • The Year She Fell
  • After the Leaves Fall (Threads of Change #1)
  • Dancing In The Low Country
  • One Hit Wonder
  • Sweet Baklava
  • Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)
  • The Little Known
  • Admit One: My Life in Film
  • Disaster Status (Mercy Hospital, #2)
  • Beyond the Quiet
  • Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #1)
  • Troublesome Creek (Troublesome Creek, #1)
  • Happily Ever After (Deep Haven, #1)
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
FACEBOOK Jill Barnett Books
Jill Barnett was born and raised in Southern California, in the kind of idyllic coastal town the Beach Boys made famous. But as a young girl she spent plenty of summers on her grandparents’ farm in Texas.

A gap in jobs in her mid-thirties sent Jill back to college and working toward her Masters degree. “I intended to finish school and teach, perhaps write college textboo...more
More about Jill Barnett...
Bewitching Wicked (Medieval Trilogy, #3) Wonderful (Medieval Trilogy, #1) Dreaming Wild (Medieval Trilogy, #2)